University of Tennessee c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I didn't see a thread for tennesse so I thought I would start one. I just have a question about the explanation statement they ask for. I did right one for the VMCAS app and my question is should I right one for tennesse as well? I feel like what I wrote for VMCAS I could submit to tenn or should I expand on the one from VMCAS and make it more personal to tenn? I just feel like there is no point in submitting one if they are going to see my vmcas app.

Members don't see this ad.

I got all excited and then I realized you spelled Tennessee wrong :(

And I honestly haven't looked at the supplemental app yet so I'm not sure, but there is a lot of duplication between the things VMCAS asks for and what the schools ask for in their supplementals. If you feel like there is more that you want to explain specifically for UTK then do that, otherwise it probably isn't necessary.

oops sorry must have just been typing fast :/ But yeah I think I might just expand on my statement for them. Tennessee is a school I am really interested in so it might be a good idea to gear it more towards their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! First time app to UT (OOS). Good luck !

Any way to change the title to the correct spelling of Tennessee? I feel like it might be bad karma...:/

Or maybe it's just because it's my in-state and the incorrect spelling bothers me :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering has anyone heard anything from Tennessee after submitting their app? I was verified Oct 13 and have not received a word from them.

Just wondering has anyone heard anything from Tennessee after submitting their app? I was verified Oct 13 and have not received a word from them.
Nope, I haven't heard anything. But then, I haven't heard anything from NCSU either, so I guess some schools are just quieter than others.

Reactions: 1 user
ok I just need to learn to stay calm lol :)

Nope, I haven't heard anything. But then, I haven't heard anything from NCSU either, so I guess some schools are just quieter than others.
back in my day (cue old jokes), I didn't hear from UTK until Nov/Dec for the supplemental. and I didn't get an interview invite until February. They tend to interview later, so everything tends to go out later. It's still a relatively small vet school, so don't be surprised if things sometimes take a bit.

Be calm, be patient.

Even recently interview invites didn't go out until early February. They were talking about moving their interview schedule forward, but since I'm not at the school now I haven't heard anything more about it.

Interviews were in January last year. You'll hear at the end of November to early December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Hope your semesters are coming to a great close.

A fellow UT CVM applicant and I have been battling anxiety over interview notifications, updates, etc. Can anyone offer any insight? I'm aware that the timetable states "by the end of November", but it is nearly halfway through the month. I'd love to hear if anyone has heard ANY feedback from the college.

Thanks!

Interviews were in January last year. You'll hear at the end of November to early December.

Hello Jamr0ckin! Are you aware of their notification method this cycle? Should I be feverishly refreshing emails or hiding out by the mailbox?

Thank you in advance for any assistance! Hope all is well.

Hello Jamr0ckin! Are you aware of their notification method this cycle? Should I be feverishly refreshing emails or hiding out by the mailbox?

Thank you in advance for any assistance! Hope all is well.

I believe they are doing both email and snail mail. Let me check and get back to you!

Last edited:
Hi there! This is my first year applying, so I'm trying to be tentatively hopeful. Applying to UT from OOS.

Yayyyy good luck everyone!!!! I do not miss that monster of an application. You guys are gonna ROCK it. Try not to stress too much. ;)

Yayyyy good luck everyone!!!! I do not miss that monster of an application. You guys are gonna ROCK it. Try not to stress too much. ;)
Good luck to everyone this cycle! I am applying next cycle but visiting UT CVM next Monday! Kathryno, who would I talk to while I'm there as far as advising me on what the school is looking for in an applicant?

Btw, I also have a doberman too!

Attachments

• 1416188986157.jpg
    1416188986157.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 38
Good luck to everyone this cycle! I am applying next cycle but visiting UT CVM next Monday! Kathryno, who would I talk to while I'm there as far as advising me on what the school is looking for in an applicant?

You need to meet with Dr. Kirk or talk to Deborah Shepherd.

You need to meet with Dr. Kirk or talk to Deborah Shepherd.
Will they need a formal appointment time or can I just meet while I am there? Jw so I can hurry and contact them to set something up

Is there a reason UT isn't ranked on the US news veterinary school rankings list? Just curious

Will they need a formal appointment time or can I just meet while I am there? Jw so I can hurry and contact them to set something up
You should email Deborah shepherd to arrange a meeting.

Is there a reason UT isn't ranked on the US news veterinary school rankings list? Just curious

We were on limited accreditation before we finished the new large animal and equine hospital, so that kept us out of the rankings. You should know those rankings don't mean anything.

Hooray! Interview invite :)

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite for 1/5!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
I got one too! I'll be there on January 6th!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an invite today for 1/5! Notified via email. :)

I got an interview invite for 1/5! Good luck everyone!

If you have not had anatomy or microbiology in undergrad, you will want to take those before you come to UTCVM. Not required, but trust me on this one.

If you have not had anatomy or microbiology in undergrad, you will want to take those before you come to UTCVM. Not required, but trust me on this one.
I doubt any undergrad anatomy class will prepare you for anatomy at any vet school lol

That might be true, but it is better than coming in with nothing. Any foundational knowledge would be helpful. It is impossible to understand the volume of material you will face first semester until you actually experience it. I came into the UTCVM program with no anatomy, and it made it very difficult. If I had to do it over again, I would be sure and study anatomy and microbiology very hard before I arrived here.

That might be true, but it is better than coming in with nothing. Any foundational knowledge would be helpful. It is impossible to understand the volume of material you will face first semester until you actually experience it. I came into the UTCVM program with no anatomy, and it made it very difficult. If I had to do it over again, I would be sure and study anatomy and microbiology very hard before I arrived here.
I'm not saying I recommend against people taking it if they have the chance :) It would probably be helpful to be familiar with the terms at least. But most of the people who have discussed this around here (and it has come up quite a bit) have said that you pretty much cover everything you would have learned in undergrad anatomy after the first couple of weeks. I don't know. I've seen physiology recommended a lot more often than anatomy. And cell bio/biochem, but those are prereqs anyway.

Is Micro not a prereq for UT? I had to take it for the other schools I applied to so I don't remember if it wasn't required for UT.

Micro is not required for UT(It SHOULD be required, in my opinion). You have to take cell biology. But what you need for UT is knowledge of bacteria. And anatomy. The first semester physio course here is very very well structured, with well organized notes and objectives. Unless you struggle with a physio sort of class, you would be much better to spend your prep time on anatomy and bacT. Those are by far the toughest courses, in my opinion. Maybe if you have a fantastic memory, anatomy might be easier for you than it was for me.

Micro is not required for UT(It SHOULD be required, in my opinion). You have to take cell biology. But what you need for UT is knowledge of bacteria. And anatomy. The first semester physio course here is very very well structured, with well organized notes and objectives. Unless you struggle with a physio sort of class, you would be much better to spend your prep time on anatomy and bacT. Those are by far the toughest courses, in my opinion. Maybe if you have a fantastic memory, anatomy might be easier for you than it was for me.
Wow yeah, I definitely think Micro should be one of those classes that's a prereq everywhere. I took vertebrate morphology and enjoyed it. Close-ish to anatomy, since I did the lab too. But they don't offer an anatomy class at my undergrad so :shrug:

nobody does well in bacT. they curve it for that reason...

and anatomy is anatomy. i had it before vet school and it wasnt very helpful.

What is bacT? LOL I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Masters in Veterinary Public Health they offer? It doesn't look like it's a combined degree, like I've seen some other universities offer. I was considering going in the public health direction.