University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm trying to book my hotel for the interview and I don't see anything in the email or on the website about it. Do they have any interview discounted hotels that I'm missing? And if not anyone know some good but relatively cheap hotels nearby (I will have a car so no shuttle is necessary)?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm trying to book my hotel for the interview and I don't see anything in the email or on the website about it. Do they have any interview discounted hotels that I'm missing? And if not anyone know some good but relatively cheap hotels nearby (I will have a car so no shuttle is necessary)?
I'm staying at the crown plaza it's close I campus. Im sure it's not the cheapest but I called them directly and spoke to Jamie he gave me a decent rate.

Got the interview invite this morning!!! Very very excited. Those of you still waiting, apparently they aren't done yet (or at least were still sending them this morning).

Is the info session in the morning informal? Somewhat formal?

It depends on when your interview is.. if you have a morning interview I would just come with your interview apparel on (maybe wear comfy shoes for the tour) but if you have a interview in the afternoon you will be fine in a nice pair of jeans or pants and a blouse/nice shirt. Although the info session is slightly less formal, it is still a good idea to give a first impression of yourself as people you see may end up being your interviewer!

Have a great time, I am really excited to meet a lot of you guys and feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I was in your shoes only a year ago :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I stayed at a Red Roof Inn that was about 15 minutes away from campus (in North Knoxville) before my interview. I know there is a Holiday Inn on Papermill that is pretty close to campus, but I am not sure of the rates- it only takes <10 minutes to get to campus from there.

I am going to be declining my interview because fortunately I got into my instate school. Tennessee really sounds like a great program. I hope someone on here gets the spot. Good luck everyone!

Just got an interview invite today (1/9/14) for 1/22/14. Pretty excited about checking out the campus!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats och0320!! Wish you luck! Did it come in the mail or email?

Nevermind - sorry! Just saw you posted on the Interviews thread that it came in the mail.

Hey all, I am interviewing on the 21st I will have a rental car so if anyone needs a ride or anything let me know. I am flying in on the 20th and leaving on the 22nd. I know it can be quite stressful to have to worry about getting to and from the school so I will probably get there early for the info session and stay until after my interview so I am willing to drive as long as where ever you are staying is somewhat near me just let me know!

Hey all, I am interviewing on the 21st I will have a rental car so if anyone needs a ride or anything let me know. I am flying in on the 20th and leaving on the 22nd. I know it can be quite stressful to have to worry about getting to and from the school so I will probably get there early for the info session and stay until after my interview so I am willing to drive as long as where ever you are staying is somewhat near me just let me know!

Hey I'm flying in and out those same days. Out of curiosity, what hotel are you staying at? I was looking at the Hilton garden inn because it seemed pretty cheap, but I'm not really familiar enough with the area to know if it's in close proximity to the vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm flying in and out those same days. Out of curiosity, what hotel are you staying at? I was looking at the Hilton garden inn because it seemed pretty cheap, but I'm not really familiar enough with the area to know if it's in close proximity to the vet school.
I'm staying at the crown plaza it's not too expensive $88/ night but i did that because I might bring my puppy and they allow dogs! Lol it's also close to the school

Looks like the Hilton Garden inn is about 15 minutes away from the school. I don't know about prices or anything. I usually stayed in the Hilton downtown before I moved here. It was nice, but expensive. If anybody wants to meet up while they're here, I know the campus (sort of) and the downtown areas. I moved here in August.

Alright, y'all... I can finally say it:

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is the afternoon of the 23rd!

I don't care how long it took to get here - I'm just glad it did!!!!!!!

:love: :luck:

Reactions: 6 users

:biglove:
:banana:

WAHOO!!!

And even better news - I will be around that day!

So excited for you (and for everyone)!

Reactions: 2 users

Yay!!!!! :claps::thumbup::thumbup:

Will we find out about acceptances before February 6? I don't want to go all the way to Auburn if I get into UTK. :) On another note... Got my Auburn interview!!!! Woot!

Will we find out about acceptances before February 6? I don't want to go all the way to Auburn if I get into UTK. :) On another note... Got my Auburn interview!!!! Woot!
I don't know when we will find out. Hopefully they will tell us at the interview! I may be declining my auburn interview as well...we shall see :)

My hope is that since they are used to quick decisions (considering they used to interview in march and sent them out by april 1) that even though they are ahead of schedule they will still be quick :xf:

Interview activities are only on the day of our interview, right? Nothing the night before?

Interview activities are only on the day of our interview, right? Nothing the night before?
Yes I believe that's correct. Things start at 8:00am

Does anybody have any idea of an interview day itinerary? Also, what are you all wearing that day?

Does anybody have any idea of an interview day itinerary? Also, what are you all wearing that day?
I have a suit to wear, I think it's the most appropriate. I don't know the itinerary I'm going to show up at 8 and see what happens from there! Soooo excited!!!

When I went the past couple years, dr. Brace talked to us about the school in the morning, then we went on a tour and hung out with some of the students and talked to them. There were tours going all day (I think?). You guys should all get stefanos pizza! Or barleys while you're here!
I think I'm hungry at the moment....

When I went the past couple years, dr. Brace talked to us about the school in the morning, then we went on a tour and hung out with some of the students and talked to them. There were tours going all day (I think?). You guys should all get stefanos pizza! Or barleys while you're here!
Mmmmmm pizza...I'm hungry too!

Things will be different for multiple reasons...

Dr. Brace is no longer here (yay retirement! ).
Dr. Kirk took over, hence the changes.
Interviews used to be over spring break so no classes were in session, but now there will be classes going on (tour schedule will be limited me thinks).

Good luck everyone!

I emailed them and asked about the morning activities because I wanted to know if I would have time to go back to my hotel before my interview and they said it will be an hour and a half, starting at 8 am. So it looks like things will wrap up around 9:30/10 and someone else posted earlier that they have a room with current students and snacks if you need to wait at the school/want to talk to people.

I emailed them and asked about the morning activities because I wanted to know if I would have time to go back to my hotel before my interview and they said it will be an hour and a half, starting at 8 am. So it looks like things will wrap up around 9:30/10 and someone else posted earlier that they have a room with current students and snacks if you need to wait at the school/want to talk to people.
So there isn't anything scheduled after? Did she mention anything about tours? I know the email said the tour would follow her presentation, but I'll be in my interview then (it's at 9). I guess I should email/call to ask on Monday!

Good to know! I was also worried I wouldn't have time to go back to my hotel and get changed between the tour and the interview. Is anybody on here staying at the hilton garden inn? And if so, are you planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the vet school, the UT buses or a taxi?

So there isn't anything scheduled after? Did she mention anything about tours? I know the email said the tour would follow her presentation, but I'll be in my interview then (it's at 9). I guess I should email/call to ask on Monday!
I asked about the session and tour and so that estimate was total...

I'm not sure about your situation! I'm sure they will give you a tour though, they want you to like their school

Good to know! I was also worried I wouldn't have time to go back to my hotel and get changed between the tour and the interview. Is anybody on here staying at the hilton garden inn? And if so, are you planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the vet school, the UT buses or a taxi?

They have a shuttle?!? I am staying at Garden Inn and will definitely take the shuttle if there is one. I have so much anxiety over transportation this trip. I have never ever taken a taxi before and I don't even know how haha :]

They run tours all day long. Just stop by the room where the snacks are and ask a current student.

They have a shuttle?!? I am staying at Garden Inn and will definitely take the shuttle if there is one. I have so much anxiety over transportation this trip. I have never ever taken a taxi before and I don't even know how haha :]

Yes, I called the hotel about transport and they said they have a shuttle that will take you where you need to go and its free :) The only downside is it only runs till 11.

The shuttle runs til 11 pm or am? I'm staying there too! What are ya'll wearing to the tour? I wasn't sure how much will be outside so how much cold to prepare for. I'm so excited for my first interview ever :)
I don't know what time you interview, but at my past interviews I've worn my suit, so that may or may not be an option depending on when you interview. Since my interview is so much later I'm going to wear a business casual outfit (dress pants, shirt, and nice sweater). I don't think they will judge you at all based on how you appear for the tour, however I wouldn't show up in sweat pants either ;)

And congrats on the interview!!

The shuttle runs til 11 pm or am? I'm staying there too! What are ya'll wearing to the tour? I wasn't sure how much will be outside so how much cold to prepare for. I'm so excited for my first interview ever :)

The shuttle ends at 11am and opens back up at 3pm I believe. For the time period that it's not running, I think I'm going to take the campus transit system because there is a stop right by the hotel.

For the tour, I'm planning on doing a business casual outfit with a nice shirt and sweater and black jeans. Not sure about a jacket because I have no idea the weather in TN, but I'm from up north so it will probably feel warm to me.

My interview is at 11 I think I'll just show up at 8 in my suit and just hang around after the tour until it's interview time. :)

Is anyone staying in town Tuesday evening or does everyone leave the same day as their interview?

Haha I am also at Hilton Garden! Does anybody have details about the shuttle such as what time it will be here that morning? That's awesome, I hadn't even thought of a shuttle being available. My interview is Tuesday morning but we are already here. Hope to see some of you around :)

hi! how are you people getting from the university/ hilton garden to the airport?

if anyone has tips, wants to split a cab, etc please message me :)
my interview is wednesday 1/22 at 9am and my flight is at 5pm

Haha I am also at Hilton Garden! Does anybody have details about the shuttle such as what time it will be here that morning? That's awesome, I hadn't even thought of a shuttle being available. My interview is Tuesday morning but we are already here. Hope to see some of you around :)

I think that we have to arrange a time for the shuttle to take us to the cvm. Maybe a group of us could use the shuttle together to be there for 8am? I have my interview on Tuesday.

So am I correct in thinking we park at the visitors center and then get shuttled to the vet school? They didn't have a time for it....so would getting to the visitor's center at 7:40 be OK? I don't want to risk missing anything, but I also don't want to miss sleep because I'm paranoid and get there super early.

So am I correct in thinking we park at the visitors center and then get shuttled to the vet school? They didn't have a time for it....so would getting to the visitor's center at 7:40 be OK? I don't want to risk missing anything, but I also don't want to miss sleep because I'm paranoid and get there super early.
I just finished driving around campus and found the visitors center it's less than a mile from the vet school so I think arriving at the visitors center around 7:40 is adequate

Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

Thanks for the suggestion! When I got in to Knoxville I drove around campus then hit up Stefano's for dinner, it was really tasty :)

Interview day is here for some of us! Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

Very excited to see y'all here! Good luck to everyone interviewing today! I'll be around! Hope I get to meet some of y'all :) relax and enjoy yourself!

Trying to fly to Tennessee right now... My first flight was just deboarded and very delayed. So now I'll be missing my connection to Knoxville :( :( :( hopefully there are more flights..... Ugh US Airways

Good luck everyone interviewing today!

EDIT: Crisis averted (for now at least :) ). See you all there!

Last edited: