University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys! i'm super excited for UT but am not applying until next year (for 2019). Feels like a million years away! I see that your current class-to-be is doing interviews right now! obviously you can't pass along specific questions, but generally what is the interview like? i hear they quiz you on current events? is that true? thanks and good luck to you all!!

How did today go?! Also did they tell you when they expect to make decisions? I'm super excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did today go?! Also did they tell you when they expect to make decisions? I'm super excited!
I'm pretty sure I bombed my interview :-( but it was really nice very relaxed. Not quite as relaxed as k-state interviews. They said the week of February 15th emails and letters will be sent just like interview invites. So fingers crossed to all of us.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll do great I'm sure! And happy to see you made it here!

I'm pretty sure I bombed my interview :-( but it was really nice very relaxed. Not quite as relaxed as k-state interviews. They said the week of February 15th emails and letters will be sent just like interview invites. So fingers crossed to all us.
why do you think you bombed?! I'm sure you did better than you thought you did! mind if I ask which team you were interviewed by? Don't be discouraged! I know for a fact someone in my class was crying after her interview bc she thought it was so awful and she got in!

I hope y'all had a good visit today! I really enjoyed talking to a lot of potential 2018ers today! Excited to meet more tomorrow!
And vet2b1990, there is an interview section on sdn with lists of questions! I suggest reading through that section :)

why do you think you bombed?! I'm sure you did better than you thought you did! mind if I ask which team you were interviewed by? Don't be discouraged! I know for a fact someone in my class was crying after her interview bc she thought it was so awful and she got in!

I hope y'all had a good visit today! I really enjoyed talking to a lot of potential 2018ers today! Excited to meet more tomorrow!
And vet2b1990, there is an interview section on sdn with lists of questions! I suggest reading through that section :)
I just feel like I could have answered the questions much better than I did. I was interviewed by team 2 but one of them was teaching when I was interviewed. They were very nice though. I enjoyed the whole process very much.

On a side note did you give tours today?

I didn't give any tours. I'm a first year and I'm pretty sure none of us are giving tours this year but I was around the foyer and Sequoyah room talking and answering questions and will be as much as I can tomorrow as well :) Did team 2 have Dr.Newkirk? She's a pathologist with short blonde hair.

I didn't give any tours. I'm a first year and I'm pretty sure none of us are giving tours this year but I was around the foyer and Sequoyah room talking and answering questions and will be as much as I can tomorrow as well :) Did team 2 have Dr.Newkirk? She's a pathologist with short blonde hair.
Unless she was the one missing no. I had an equine doctor and a 4th year student interview me.

Remember that you never know how an interview went until you hear. Some of them just want to see how you handle the pressure, and they acknowledged that they know some groups were harder than others. Just breathe deep!

For those of you interviewing tomorrow, make sure to leave plenty of time for shuttling!!! They only have two little vans/buses running everyone over for the 8 AM intro session. Moving the dates up have definitely impacted them. The info session at 8 AM was full by the time I got there even though I got to the parking lot at 7:40! But they do another one. Just be careful if you have the early morning interview.

I had Dr. Newkirk! She was awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure I bombed my interview :-( but it was really nice very relaxed. Not quite as relaxed as k-state interviews. They said the week of February 15th emails and letters will be sent just like interview invites. So fingers crossed to all of us.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll do great I'm sure! And happy to see you made it here!
I'm sure you did better than you think! It's so tough to tell sometimes (and of course the waiting game makes everything worse).
Thank you so much! I'm very glad I made it :)

@kathryno and @dalmatiandoc17 my dad and I had Stefano's for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recommendation -- it was great! I think SDN needs a page with food recommendations for each school... haha.

@wolfpackprevet thank you for the shuttle advice!

I'm really excited for my interview tomorrow, but a bit nervous. I'm really, really liking UTK so far.

Reactions: 3 users
hey guys! i'm super excited for UT but am not applying until next year (for 2019). Feels like a million years away! I see that your current class-to-be is doing interviews right now! obviously you can't pass along specific questions, but generally what is the interview like? i hear they quiz you on current events? is that true? thanks and good luck to you all!!

I'd look on the interview feedback on SDN! I already did my survey with some questions and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I bombed it... I was wayyyy too nervous... :(
I was fine in both my mock interviews I did... I don't know what happened.

Had fun meeting and interviewing some of you today. I'm sad that the seniors are only allowed to work one day of interviews. I had a blast!

don't down yourselves guys! You were chosen for an interview for a reason! You probably did better than you thought you did! I have faith in y'all!
And those of you still needing to interview, DON'T be nervous! if you want to pow-wow before your interview tomorrow to ease the nerves just message me your interview time and I'll come distract you lol. For real though guys, you're just gonna have a conversation with them about everything you love! It shouldn't be bad :) you got this!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I also had team 2, and I had on overall positive experience. HOWEVER, it was definitely not the super chill happy fun time they said it would be lol. That unnerved me because I was not expecting the formality, but I eventually was able to regain my confidence when I realized they are genuinely not trying to destroy you. The girl who came out of the room before me said she cried.... I think that was due to the topic of discussion though.

All the vet students I talked to were amazing, and I'm so glad I was able to BEFORE the interview because it calmed me down. I was extremely impressed with everything. More than any other school I have visited, TN seems to be welcoming, down to earth, and encouraging.

En route there now for a 1:30 interview!! So excited! Does anyone know how often the shuttles are running?

Haha I also had team 2, and I had on overall positive experience. HOWEVER, it was definitely not the super chill happy fun time they said it would be lol. That unnerved me because I was not expecting the formality, but I eventually was able to regain my confidence when I realized they are genuinely not trying to destroy you. The girl who came out of the room before me said she cried.... I think that was due to the topic of discussion though.

All the vet students I talked to were amazing, and I'm so glad I was able to BEFORE the interview because it calmed me down. I was extremely impressed with everything. More than any other school I have visited, TN seems to be welcoming, down to earth, and encouraging.

You had team 2? Yesterday? Was it the endocrinologist and the 4th year student? I had them. It was definitely different than the last two years.

Yep, I had them and the guy that you missed- he was the head of large animal surgery. I thought he was the toughest one. He barely looked up from his papers for the first half of the interview which was unnerving haha......

Ugh. That didn't go as well as I had hoped. Definitely not my best interview.

Sitting in the library waiting for my interview to start, just two more hours. The tour was really cool but this school seems to be much more equine focused than I realized when I applied. It is a really nice campus and I love how friendly everyone is here. I'm trying to read about birds to stay calm
hi bulbulcus! We have a great exotics department as well. I visit the exotics clinic often to see large cats and they almost always have birds in house for appointments! And we have a great professor that teaches Avian basics to first years. I have zero interest in large animal medicine (farm or equine) and have found this school to be very well rounded! I know the large animal clinic is new, but our other clinics have a lot to offer as well!

Yep, I had them and the guy that you missed- he was the head of large animal surgery. I thought he was the toughest one. He barely looked up from his papers for the first half of the interview which was unnerving haha......
I had them at the very end of the day. I don't think they were happy to be there anymore! Haha oh well... Maybe it went better than I thought. I'll have the opportunity to ask later I guess.... In the meantime... Need to study for my endocrine quiz in the library.... Blah.

I have to say I wasn't really sure about UT, but after the interview and the tour I am very impressed with the school. My interviewers were so awesome! Very welcoming and it felt very relaxed and natural. Definitely will make my decision harder if I do get an offer!! Definite thumbs up!

I had team 5, they were really nice. I enjoyed the interview a lot. It was the end of the day, and I think they were tired, but they did a great job, I felt very comfortable. Good luck everyone!

You can walk over from the visitor's center if you need to, there is a sidewalk the whole way, takes about 8 to 10 minutes.

who's coming tomorrow?? excited?? y'all seem to be a quiet bunch! I know my applicant cycle was fullll of questions and SDN was so helpful.. which is why I want to be available to give back! Anyone have any questions I can try to answer??

That's how I felt. I'm sure you did great! And now we all wait....
Thanks, MEA. It probably wasn't as bad as I think it was (hopefully), but certainly not my best... Oh well. More waiting!

who's coming tomorrow?? excited?? y'all seem to be a quiet bunch! I know my applicant cycle was fullll of questions and SDN was so helpful.. which is why I want to be available to give back! Anyone have any questions I can try to answer??

For notifications of acceptance/denial, is it snail mail only?

Thanks for being so helpful, I'm sure once post-travel coma ends I'll have more questions!!!

I'll be there!!!! :D :D :D My interview is at 3:30! I'm currently hanging out at the holiday inn (cue Chingy) and hoping to calm down a bit before trying to sleep!! ;D

Hey guys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone (and please do the same for me!). Just one question to those who interviewed or those who know: do they have your grades and GRE scores in front of them during the interview? Just preparing myself mentally for some explanations in case they ask...

Thank you!! xx

Hey guys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone (and please do the same for me!). Just one question to those who interviewed or those who know: do they have your grades and GRE scores in front of them during the interview? Just preparing myself mentally for some explanations in case they ask...

Thank you!! xx
Nope, I believe they only have your personal statement (so they don't have any of your experiences either). Good luck!

Nope, I believe they only have your personal statement (so they don't have any of your experiences either). Good luck!

The only thing they have is your personal statement.

And I believe they are planning on sending emails and snail mail both around mid February.

Out of curiosity did any of the Tuesday people have Team 5? I'm hoping I didn't completely botch being an interviewer. :p

They told me the admissions committee will be meeting on the 31st and we should probably know way before the 15th. But the plan is to get it out before then, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The only thing they have is your personal statement.

And I believe they are planning on sending emails and snail mail both around mid February.

Out of curiosity did any of the Tuesday people have Team 5? I'm hoping I didn't completely botch being an interviewer. :p
I had team 5 on Tuesday! If you were the 4th year student, I thought you did a great job - good, fair questions. You made me feel much more relaxed. I was really nervous at the start haha

Good luck to everyone who interviewed!! I really enjoyed getting to talk to everyone and hopefully I was able to help make the time before your interviews go a little faster, even if I wasn't especially helpful ;)

Team 1 was where it was at today! :D So excited to hear how things turn out! :D

hi bulbulcus! We have a great exotics department as well. I visit the exotics clinic often to see large cats and they almost always have birds in house for appointments! And we have a great professor that teaches Avian basics to first years. I have zero interest in large animal medicine (farm or equine) and have found this school to be very well rounded! I know the large animal clinic is new, but our other clinics have a lot to offer as well!

Last edited:
I'm sorry I was only around on Thursday to talk to people - I *really* love UTCVM and could talk about it all the time. I hope all of you enjoyed your time here and had all of your questions answered.

If there is anything I can do as a 2nd year, such as answer any other questions, I would be happy to on here or via PM.

Once you all get your acceptance letters, I know more questions will pop up. I'm always on SDN and will always try to help answer questions.

If for some reason you aren't accepted, please do a file review so they can tell you where you need to strengthen your application (if you decide not to go somewhere else).

I don't envy you all, having to wait for letters. Its not fun.

But keep good, positive thoughts, and still try to have fun and keep doing well in your classes if you're still in undergrad.

I'm sorry I was only around on Thursday to talk to people - I *really* love UTCVM and could talk about it all the time. I hope all of you enjoyed your time here and had all of your questions answered.

If there is anything I can do as a 2nd year, such as answer any other questions, I would be happy to on here or via PM.

Once you all get your acceptance letters, I know more questions will pop up. I'm always on SDN and will always try to help answer questions.

If for some reason you aren't accepted, please do a file review so they can tell you where you need to strengthen your application (if you decide not to go somewhere else).

I don't envy you all, having to wait for letters. Its not fun.

But keep good, positive thoughts, and still try to have fun and keep doing well in your classes if you're still in undergrad.
what she said. I'm also happy to talk about any experiences I had there but I've been graduated for 3 years. That said, I still keep in touch with some of my professors and they seem really invested in seeing us succeed.

I wanted to ask, now that the interview process is over, what happens next on their end? I know Dr. Kirk said they'll send the grades from each interviewer to a statistician. But then do they simply rank the top 20-30 out state students and send invites, or do they have some sort of discussion on who to send the invites to? I hope I get to know before some of my other interviews to see where I stand.

I wanted to ask, now that the interview process is over, what happens next on their end? I know Dr. Kirk said they'll send the grades from each interviewer to a statistician. But then do they simply rank the top 20-30 out state students and send invites, or do they have some sort of discussion on who to send the invites to? I hope I get to know before some of my other interviews to see where I stand.

In previous years, they would get the numbers back from the stat people and list from high to low. Top people get accepted, next set get waitlisted, then rejected.

I hope I am not just a number, because I felt I left a good impression on them. My grades aren't the highest, and I don't have the most experience. Hopefully my passion, that I speak several languages and the fact that I am a minority accounts for something! :p

See here's my issue -- my Auburn interview is on Feb 14. I probably wouldn't go if I knew about Tennessee first. What do you think the chances are that they'll let us know before Feb 13? Am I totally dreaming here?

See here's my issue -- my Auburn interview is on Feb 14. I probably wouldn't go if I knew about Tennessee first. What do you think the chances are that they'll let us know before Feb 13? Am I totally dreaming here?

I know how you feel honestly. I have an interview at Minnesota on Feb 8, I would love it if I knew where I stand before then. I am hoping if they meet on the 31st, they could let us know. My ideal is that I get accepted in Tennessee, so the rest of the interviews I can be so chill. That is my ultimate fantasy, but I dunno...

I hope they see me at a whole applicant, and not just a number. I am nervous that I am on the low on the first part and get waitlisted/rejected.

I seem to remember last year them saying they would try to have decisions sent by April 3rd, but April 5th would be the latest day we could expect decisions. It was on April 5th that they were sent… (back when interviews were in March lol). I probably would not count on hearing from Tennessee before Feb 15. It *may* be earlier than that this year with all the changes and fewer interviews, but I would not plan on it.

I would say that chances are good! They said we will know by Feb 15th at the latest and I agree that if they are meeting on the 31st, they will have things sorted out early enough that they won't need two weeks to send out notices.

I would say that chances are good! They said we will know by Feb 15th at the latest and I agree that if they are meeting on the 31st, they will have things sorted out early enough that they won't need two weeks to send out notices.
Fingers crossed!!!

We were told no earlier than the 7th but no later than the 15th in our info session. Fingers crossed for the 7th!