University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your replies! :) I didn't get accepted to my IS , which I was really disappointed about, so I just want to know how current students feel about UT. I am leaning toward going there as I don't want to apply again next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I have been placed on the alternate list for UTK Class of 2020 as an OOS. I'm not sure of my position on the list but I know I'm waiting with 89 others - do y'all think it will move fairly quickly? Also can we request our number on the list?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Facebook just reminded me that 3 years ago today I got invited to interview at UT, and here you guys are already getting results. It blows my mind a little bit how late UT used to do their admissions.

Reactions: 2 users
Current students: what are your favorite and least favorite things about UT? :)

Favorite - concur with everyone - the family atmosphere, everyone here cares about your success! Plus, you can absolutely wander pretty much anywhere within the clinic, as long as you're wearing your ID, and everyone is extremely pleasant when you ask questions and just poke around! Also, the Knoxville area has a ton of things to do - granted you won't have time to do most of it during the school year - but, when you do have time, it's a wonderful area to live.

Least favorite - they do change curriculum each year, making tweaks here and there. Our class is now going to be a guinea pig class for ABLEs groups - they told us they're thinking of keeping our groups the same all 3 years, which is different for before, because they want to see how we progress within our individual groups. Sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it's not. BUT ultimately, my least favorite thing here is the parking!! It's the only thing that truly gives me weekly frustration and audible mutterings (sometimes verbal diarrhea), especially during football season.

Reactions: 1 users
Favorite - concur with everyone - the family atmosphere, everyone here cares about your success! Plus, you can absolutely wander pretty much anywhere within the clinic, as long as you're wearing your ID, and everyone is extremely pleasant when you ask questions and just poke around! Also, the Knoxville area has a ton of things to do - granted you won't have time to do most of it during the school year - but, when you do have time, it's a wonderful area to live.

Least favorite - they do change curriculum each year, making tweaks here and there. Our class is now going to be a guinea pig class for ABLEs groups - they told us they're thinking of keeping our groups the same all 3 years, which is different for before, because they want to see how we progress within our individual groups. Sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it's not. BUT ultimately, my least favorite thing here is the parking!! It's the only thing that truly gives me weekly frustration and audible mutterings (sometimes verbal diarrhea), especially during football season.
Have the recent adjustments worked out to your benefit? Or are they new enough that it doesn't flow with the faculty, subsequently making it harder for the students to adjust? It'll be interesting to see what changes they incorporate for our class.

Have the recent adjustments worked out to your benefit? Or are they new enough that it doesn't flow with the faculty, subsequently making it harder for the students to adjust? It'll be interesting to see what changes they incorporate for our class.

They're not the kinds of changes that make anything hard to "adjust" to - they just exist since we've never experienced anything else before what we're seeing now. As for working out to our benefit or detriment, you'll find that each class has their personalities: our class is the anal class - we study our asses off; the 2nd years are kind of like the hippy/fun class b/c they don't study nearly as much as we do; the 3rd years are more like us - they study more; and the 4th years are either exhausted or super happy, depending on whether or not they've had their caffeine intake for the day ;)

Some of the changes they have for your class already are things like a set schedule template - we're trying to make sure it's better than what we have right now (our input matters, so that's a plus); also your class has the official DVM/PhD program offered. It doesn't start until next school year. Then minor tweaks here and there will appear, but nothing drastic is supposed to happen that we've been made aware of.....yet. ;)

For those of you who are definitely attending, when do you plan on moving up?

The biggest issue with the schedule changes is that it makes it harder to get help from the classes above you. I've had several first years ask me for advice and I often don't have anything useful to give them because the faculty and curriculum have already changed so much.

For those of you who are definitely attending, when do you plan on moving up?

Any advice on this, current students?

I don't want to move too early, I'm in Virginia, because I want to work as long as I can at my job to save money. So I was thinking of moving there a week before classes start. Is that realistic?

I don't want to move too early, I'm in Virginia, because I want to work as long as I can at my job to save money. So I was thinking of moving there a week before classes start. Is that realistic?

Yes. Maybe give yourself a couple weeks to learn where things are

I moved mid-July and gave myself about 3 weeks to move in, get settled, and learn where things are. Driving around here can be confusing, so if you can give yourself at least 2 weeks minimum, it would be a good idea. One week won't be enough, unless you have no option.

Anyone looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone looking for a roommate?

My sister is planning on moving up with me, and my parents are going to look to purchase a 3 bedroom/3 bath so that we can accommodate a roommate! We won't start looking until April-ish, though!

I have a dog and a cat that are super low maintenance, but I feel like it's going to be difficult to find a roommate(s) that doesn't also have animals lol

When I lived there, I was in Cherokee ridge apts. not the nicest apartments but safe and close to school. Allowed pets and the management was nice

I have a dog and a cat that are super low maintenance, but I feel like it's going to be difficult to find a roommate(s) that doesn't also have animals lol

Ah, I'll be bringing my dog and cat as well! Well, at least the dog (Pomeranian). Trying to get my mom to let the family cat stay home

Haha yeah probably true. I have a dog and cat, so if I buy a place large enough for a roommate, then we'll need to make sure the kids get along. Funny enough my diva cat is the one I'm worried about. Damn tuxedo cats wants to think she's the princess. Meanwhile her 60lb brother could care less.

My dog gets along with anything haha but I'm worried about my cat as well!

I'm looking for a roommate! My husband, cat children and our only car are staying in Virginia while I come to school. So I need a place within biking distance of school and pets are no problem at all.

I figure I'll be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house with a liitle bit of space for my 2 border collies, so I'll be looking for roommates too ;)

I'll be selling my house come June. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, fenced in back yard. 8-15 from school depending on time of day.

If there's anybody who doesn't have pets or isn't bringing them (unlikely, I know), I would be happy to put in a good word at my apartments. They're fun, old brick townhouse style apartments right in the middle of one of the wealthiest and safest parts of town and about 5 minutes from school. Also walking distance from one of the best parks in the city, and surprisingly not very expensive. There's usually a huge waitlist, but if a current tenant recommends somebody they get bumped to the top. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

I live in Fountain City, north of school. I am currently at Cottages on Tazewell. It is a very pet friendly place but the morning commute can be a bear because they overbuilt on Tazewell and the street is one lane in each direction with no turning lane. If you leave super early in the morning (before 7, which a lot of people do, but not me, because I am not a morning person) then you are okay, but after 7 am and you take your chances with bad traffic. Same with the commute home- it gets backed up.
It's a safe area with a lot of stores very close by and if I got up earlier would not be such a bad commute :)

A few questions for current students:

3. Are any of you part of the dual program (masters/DVM)? They mentioned it on interview day, and I discussed it a little with my interviewers and they said, because of my interests, it would be a good for me to consider.

All responses/opinions are greatly appreciated!

I am part of the dual MPH/DVM program. They don't have you take classes first semester because they don't want you adding onto your already insane schedule without knowing how well you can handle it. For this semester I am only taking one MPH class, while my one friend is taking three extra classes (and yes, she somewhat regrets taking that many extra) while another friend is taking two extra classes. I'm not the queen of great time management so it's been a a little more challenging for me probably. You will need to take classes over the summer because they only offer certain classes over the summer, so be prepared for that. Classes you take during the fall and spring semester don't cost extra but classes over the summer will.

Dr. Souza (very nice and helpful) will have an interest meeting sometime fall semester and then follow up with you later on in the semester and she will help get you registered for spring MPH classes if you decide to pursue it.

I am part of the dual MPH/DVM program. They don't have you take classes first semester because they don't want you adding onto your already insane schedule without knowing how well you can handle it. For this semester I am only taking one MPH class, while my one friend is taking three extra classes (and yes, she somewhat regrets taking that many extra) while another friend is taking two extra classes. I'm not the queen of great time management so it's been a a little more challenging for me probably. You will need to take classes over the summer because they only offer certain classes over the summer, so be prepared for that. Classes you take during the fall and spring semester don't cost extra but classes over the summer will.

Dr. Souza (very nice and helpful) will have an interest meeting sometime fall semester and then follow up with you later on in the semester and she will help get you registered for spring MPH classes if you decide to pursue it.

Thank you so much - this is exactly what I wanted to know. Glad to know its not something you have to start immediately!

How many summers do the students have available to do externships?

Just bear in mind that any of those externships will be for your own benefit, not school credit. As a fourth year student you will still have to do at least four weeks of externships, and that time will be allotted in your schedule.

Fortunately you're a while from having to worry about that.

My primary concern is this... will the lounge continue to have coffee? It is my life juice and I know I'll need at least 2-3 refills during most days. :coffee:

I'll figure all that other stuff out once I get there and classes start.

My primary concern is this... will the lounge continue to have coffee? It is my life juice and I know I'll need at least 2-3 refills during most days. :coffee:

I'll figure all that other stuff out once I get there and classes start.

Not only will there still be a coffee pot in the lounge, but there's also the pod where you can get a cup of starbucks coffee, up to 24 oz, for 1 dollar, if you bring your own cup!

Another question: scholarships. As an OOS student, I know I will be paying a lot of loans back. Are there any resources you could share of scholarships I could apply to, are there any school offered scholarships, and if I ask d for work study on fafsa, does that exist in vet school? I did it in undergrad and it was wonderful!

Another question: scholarships. As an OOS student, I know I will be paying a lot of loans back. Are there any resources you could share of scholarships I could apply to, are there any school offered scholarships, and if I ask d for work study on fafsa, does that exist in vet school? I did it in undergrad and it was wonderful!

As an IS student I've had these same thoughts

Not only will there still be a coffee pot in the lounge, but there's also the pod where you can get a cup of starbucks coffee, up to 24 oz, for 1 dollar, if you bring your own cup!
Oh my... I just got butterflies. Had I been on the fence, that right there would have sold me on UT.

For anyone still riding that fence... just think, coffee... endless coffee... at your fingertips!

Check what a bunch of us have said already about work and school - we've addressed this a few times. I can't speak on FAFSA but I don't believe they have work-study at vet school in the classic sense.

As for scholarships, there are several opportunities once you start. Dr. Kirk is constantly emailing us about various ones out there, and there are also ones from SCAVMA - student chapter AVMA - plus others. Most are made available after the semester starts but they're constantly rolling in!

I've never heard of any sort of work-study program in vet school. There definitely isn't one here at UT.

The school offers some scholarships, which you don't apply for individually but instead apply in general and then they see if anything fits. They usually aren't more than, say, $1000 for the year. So they're helpful, but not going to make a big dent. There are a variety of scholarships from outside sources which you'll hear about as time goes by, and most of them aren't much bigger. Although I did see one absurdly large scholarship for people who want to specifically do quarterhorse medicine, which made me a tad jealous.

But it's mostly the same old story: unless you're independently wealthy or have a spouse with a well-paying job, it's pretty much loans all the way.

On the subject on textbooks... In undergrad I honestly ended most classes thinking why did I rent/buy this book?! We didn't even use it! I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on weather or not it's necessary to buy books for classes, but what do some of you think? Are there books in vet school you wish you didn't spend the money on?

On the subject on textbooks... In undergrad I honestly ended most classes thinking why did I rent/buy this book?! We didn't even use it! I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on weather or not it's necessary to buy books for classes, but what do some of you think? Are there books in vet school you wish you didn't spend the money on?
most of them.

Really only need a few (anatomy guide is essential). Most every other book is available from the library and only used for reference, not to study from.

Reactions: 2 users
When I was down for the interview, the vet school librarian told me about how most of the books are available as ebooks.
Any current students able to confirm this? Is it most or all?

When I was down for the interview, the vet school librarian told me about how most of the books are available as ebooks.
Any current students able to confirm this? Is it most or all?

If Ann says that, I believe her. The thing is, most of the textbooks aren't all that useful so we never have any reason to find out. The dog anatomy guide is really the only essential textbook in the curriculum, and perhaps Duke's Physiology. Other than that, I pretty much never even looked at a textbook.

We ended up using it quite a bit. But the curriculum and teachers for second-semester physio have changed since we took it, so I really don't know whether it will be needed or not.
Sims isn't teaching physio anymore?

The notes are pretty exhaustive for what you need to know (or at least they were). I would still not waste the money on it and rent from the library

Sims isn't teaching physio anymore?

The notes are pretty exhaustive for what you need to know (or at least they were). I would still not waste the money on it and rent from the library

Sims is in the process of retiring, but that's beside the point. He hasn't taught the GI and endocrine sections of physio for a while. When we took it, Dr. Eiler taught those portions and he didn't provide notes. Instead, he took all his questions from Duke's (not surprising, since he wrote the endocrine chapter). But he's not teaching that part anymore, so that's why I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to get the book or not.

Sims is in the process of retiring, but that's beside the point. He hasn't taught the GI and endocrine sections of physio for a while. When we took it, Dr. Eiler taught those portions and he didn't provide notes. Instead, he took all his questions from Duke's (not surprising, since he wrote the endocrine chapter). But he's not teaching that part anymore, so that's why I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to get the book or not.
Eiler was my least favorite that year. But i still didn't use the book...

Either way, things are obviously changing. So a soon-to-be 4th year and a graduate probably won't have the most recent info on that. As long as Dr. Reed is teaching anatomy, you'll definitely need the dog dissection guide. For everything else, just consult with the class above you when you get here.

So, as I've stated before, my class is the nerd class and we study a ton (that's not an overstatement, we're nerds) - I use almost all of my books to some extent, but I believe I'm an outlier. YES, ALL OF THE BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE LIBRARY OR ONLINE, so if you're a digital person, you do not have to purchase any of the textbooks - just use them at school. I would definitely BUY the dog anatomy book, a lot of my classmates reference the parasitology textbook but not the lab book, a lot use the horse anatomy book, and the actual anatomy textbook is very good if you think you'll go into mixed-animal practice or research because it covers a broad spectrum of species. Cunningham's is good for physiology but it's not on our lists, I got it on my own, and it's in English. Absolutely buy the notes on CD, printed, or both! I don't think there are any other books I'd recommend having, but if you only buy one or two things, definitely get the notes and the dog anatomy book.