University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm giving up my OOS seat so I hope someone gets it from here:)!
Where are you going instead?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A small part of me still really wishes I had gotten into Florida. That IS tuition!

I was really bummed when I found out about LSU. No one really understood it when I told them it was partly about money. Some even said that was a selfish reason to be sad! I absolutely loved Mississippi and I'm thrilled to attend, but I really do worry about OOS tuition. I think I'll always hold some disappointment for not getting into my IS. I think that's completely normal.

Reactions: 3 users
I was really bummed when I found out about LSU. No one really understood it when I told them it was partly about money. Some even said that was a selfish reason to be sad! I absolutely loved Mississippi and I'm thrilled to attend, but I really do worry about OOS tuition. I think I'll always hold some disappointment for not getting into my IS. I think that's completely normal.

Ultimately, we're all going to be in some kind of debt. The best thing any of us can do for ourselves at this point, is research payment plans and come up with budgets that are easy to stick with. Live below your means, and pay towards principle when you can. And take it one day at a time. If you feel overwhelmed, open your mouth and talk to someone about it :D

Reactions: 2 users
So... I'm dying to know... How are the first year classes arranged? I know what the classes are from the packet given out at the interview, but what does a typical first year day look like? Is it Monday-Friday? Are there breaks?

So... I'm dying to know... How are the first year classes arranged? I know what the classes are from the packet given out at the interview, but what does a typical first year day look like? Is it Monday-Friday? Are there breaks?

The orange week is stuff that will be explained later, but it can be less time consuming, sometimes not. I blacked out areas where my section didn't have stuff - but that changes all the time - I wrote in changes - this was earlier this semester. Overall, class, M-F 8 am to 4 or 5pm. Sometimes earlier. Sometimes later. Our schedule was easier/lighter in this photo - it's much more condensed/filled right now. Generally 10 min between classes, lunch 12-1pm, most meetings happen at that time. To sum up your question THERE IS NO TYPICAL DAY.
12899443_556784831148853_1331829210_o.jpg

The orange week is stuff that will be explained later, but it can be less time consuming, sometimes not. I blacked out areas where my section didn't have stuff - but that changes all the time - I wrote in changes - this was earlier this semester. Overall, class, M-F 8 am to 4 or 5pm. Sometimes earlier. Sometimes later. Our schedule was easier/lighter in this photo - it's much more condensed/filled right now. Generally 10 min between classes, lunch 12-1pm, most meetings happen at that time. To sum up your question THERE IS NO TYPICAL DAY.
View attachment 201650
Do you typically bring your lunch or buy it on campus? Is there a fridge & microwave to use?

Do you typically bring your lunch or buy it on campus? Is there a fridge & microwave to use?

So, we received this gem called "THE POD" spring semester, and it's wonderful. I normally bring a lunch, but The Pod is great if you forget food, want a snack, or choose to buy food every day. Some things in there are not bad price wise, others are a little expensive. You can get everything from a PB&J to Sushi. It's like a Grab'n'Go. There's also a Starbucks Coffee stand inside. $1 any size coffee, up to 24 oz, IF you being your own mug.

For food, there's also Mable's, which is the cafeteria-type food joint across the street in the undergrad buildings on our side of campus - you can eat breakfast for about 2$ :D

There is a fridge in the first-year lounge, along with a coffee pot, and 4 microwaves. This is a common area mainly for the first years, but upperclassmen, faculty, and staff use it as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a letter today about the white coat ceremony! How exciting!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I got a letter today about the white coat ceremony! How exciting!!!!

I dread all events of that sort (graduation, etc.). This one shall be no exception.

Anybody here looking for a roommate? I'm interested in getting a really cute house I found for rent, but I need one more person :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students, preferably OOS, that would be willing to let me message them with some questions?

Random question, but is there any sort of free printing offering by UT? I print a LOT of notes lol

Random question, but is there any sort of free printing offering by UT? I print a LOT of notes lol

I doubt it, unless there is a secret room for that in the vet school. Printing is 2 cents a page I believe!

There is free printing in the vet school in a few of the computer labs... However they do run out of paper frequently. They library in the vet school still charges 2 cents a page.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, you just need to stay on top of the people who supply the paper for the computer labs we use. It's B&W only as well. The library is NOT free though, not even for photo copies.

Hey, does anyone know if I need to actually write out a letter and mail it in to UTK if I am declining my spot? I was planning on just emailing them like I did for a few other places but then I re-read my acceptance letter and it says to confirm my decision in writing and to mail to to the listed address, so I wasn't sure if an email would still be appropriate.

Hey, does anyone know if I need to actually write out a letter and mail it in to UTK if I am declining my spot? I was planning on just emailing them like I did for a few other places but then I re-read my acceptance letter and it says to confirm my decision in writing and to mail to to the listed address, so I wasn't sure if an email would still be appropriate.
Hand write it. They're old fashioned here and want your physical signature to confirm so they know no one got into your email and sent one.

Hand write it. They're old fashioned here and want your physical signature to confirm so they know no one got into your email and sent one.
Okay! Thank you!

I dread all events of that sort (graduation, etc.). This one shall be no exception.

Ha! Me too. But it wasn't too bad so don't worry. Also, check your inbox- I sent you a message :)

Hi guys!
I'm trying to figure out my living situation for next year in Knoxville. I need a pet friendly place that will accept my 60lb well behaved dog, but isn't too far away from the vet school. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

For current students:
Are there any relationships you form with specific faculty that are akin to mentor relationships?

For current students:
Are there any relationships you form with specific faculty that are akin to mentor relationships?
Yes, you fill out a questionnaire first semester and you get matched with a mentor (normally with similar interests). But the majority of faculty are open to cultivating relationships. I'm close with several clinicians that aren't my faculty mentor (though I'm close with her, too).

Hey, has anyone received any financial aid info yet from UT? Or does anyone know historically if they tend to announce it before the April 15th deadline?

Do students get free or discounted HW/flea prevention? Trying to decide if I need to stock up or not.

Hey, has anyone received any financial aid info yet from UT? Or does anyone know historically if they tend to announce it before the April 15th deadline?

I have. I just logged into MyUtk and looked it up through there. It just became available a few days ago.

Did you receive info on how to log on to MyUtk?

Did you receive info on how to log on to MyUtk?

I went to undergrad here so I already had all of my stuff set up. Did they already set up your vol email?

I haven't gotten any information on the UTK account yet, so I just emailed Deborah. I'll update with what she says.

I haven't received any info from them regarding my vol email

Hmm. I want to say by this time last year I had already received the email about setting up my UTK account. It was pretty soon after they received my letter stating I was accepting my seat.

Do students get free or discounted HW/flea prevention? Trying to decide if I need to stock up or not.

You get discounted stuff from community practice - most of it is priced really low. And a few of the companies have lunch and learns where they provide free samples once a year.

You get discounted stuff from community practice - most of it is priced really low. And a few of the companies have lunch and learns where they provide free samples once a year.
That's good to know. Our reps at work just came through and I was able to stock up on 1 1/2 year supply of HW for the pup and 1 year of revolution for kitty cat.

HashtagWinning Hashtagbecauserealhashtagssuck.

Jackpot for broke student. :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
As a heads up - on/around the 18th (snail mail takes longer, this is the departure date) - Dr. Kirk is sending out welcome letters which will include my information and the information for my class' tech rep, in order to add you to the c/o 2020 FB page. It will not be up and running until then. Our tech rep will be adding each class member as he confirms their name on the class list. We must receive a personal email, using that contact information, from each member prior to adding. If a FB request to join is made, it will be ignored. It's a closed group for your class and this is the best control measure we have to prevent those who are not attending UT from gaining access, so please be patient. Thank you!:D It's almost time!!!!! Enjoy your summer!!!!!:wow::zombie::arghh::soexcited::highfive::laugh::clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey ya'll I declined my OOS offer at UTK, hope someone here on the wait list gets it!! Goodluck!

So... I see where I can sign up for classes. When are we supposed to do that?

So... I see where I can sign up for classes. When are we supposed to do that?

You guys just sit back and enjoy the ride at this point! They'll ask for what they need, and if they don't ask for it or directly tell you to do it - you don't do it....and don't be literal with me on this. You have to do your FAFSA, apt hunting, etc - they're not THAT good! :cool:

Hi y'all!
My twin sister and I are OOS students and will be attending UTK in the fall! But we are at a loss for where to live. We are going up next week to sign for an apartment but need to know where to tour first! Any suggestions would be useful!

We are looking for something close to campus with 2x2 availability. We are looking to keep the total to around $1300/month total for the apartment and utilities. Also, it needs to be pet friendly, We will have a rabbit (a rescued mini-rex named Paris) in tow!

Hi y'all!
My twin sister and I are OOS students and will be attending UTK in the fall! But we are at a loss for where to live. We are going up next week to sign for an apartment but need to know where to tour first! Any suggestions would be useful!

We are looking for something close to campus with 2x2 availability. We are looking to keep the total to around $1300/month total for the apartment and utilities. Also, it needs to be pet friendly, We will have a rabbit (a rescued mini-rex named Paris) in tow!

Yay! I talked with you both when you interviewed and interviewed one of you! (I'm the blonde 4th year) and have been wondering if you both made it. I think Greenbrier ridge has decent apartments and are pet friendly!

Hi y'all!

You ladies should have received a booklet with a list of several names of apartment complexes - the booklet includes pet friendly or not. If you no longer possess the booklet, here is the website that goes along with it: http://www.knoxvilleapartmentguide.com

I warn though, to stay away from the ones that are too close to campus - i.e. within the "circle", the highway has a bypass that makes a circle around the city, try to stay outside of that in any direction. Two reasons are undergrads making a lot of noise, they tend to live in the ones closest to the school, and crime is worst within that circle. No matter where you live, there will be minor annoyances, so it's just which minor annoyances you're content to put up with. Some have traffic - those will be ones that are farther north or west; some don't have washer/dryer machine OR hookup; so just be cognizant of what you're getting for your money versus your needs.

So I looked at my financial aid award package, and it looks like I am, oh, about 40,000$ short of what I need for my first year. Is it time to panic yet, or have they not finished with FA? I don't see the GRAD plus loan on there (which was on my award package from Tufts), so I'm trying not to hyperventilate.

Mine was $40K, but I'm IS. I've talked with another OOS and she had the same loan package as me /: which obviously doesn't cover tuition for y'all.

Mine was only 20k per semester as well and I'm OOS. I sure hope they're still processing stuff.. Because obviously that isn't enough

Alright, that makes me feel a little better that its not just me :) What would I do without SDN???