University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview isnt until 530, so i have more flexibility with what info session. Do we have any idea how long the interview or the info session is?

No clue that's why I don't want to push it with the one at 10 I don't want to feel rushed if they are pretty long

Members don't see this ad.

No clue that's why I don't want to push it with the one at 10 I don't want to feel rushed if they are pretty long
I feel like the interview cant be more than an hour, so at least in my opinion, you might be better going afterwards just so you dont have to rush as much. Either way, good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the interview cant be more than an hour, so at least in my opinion, you might be better going afterwards just so you dont have to rush as much. Either way, good luck!!!

Yeah I'm thinking of going at 2, good luck!!! :)

Interview was about half an hour. I think the info session and a tour together are about two hours if I'm remembering correctly.

Thank you!

Your interview should take between 20-30 minutes. We have so many interviews to do in the day we can't go much longer. The info session is 30-45 minutes long I believe, but it might stretch into an hour if there are a lot of crowd questions. The tour can take over an hour. Depending on how thorough the tour guide is.

Interview was about half an hour. I think the info session and a tour together are about two hours if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah the interviews are about 30 minutes, and the tour/info session takes about 1.5 hours, maybe less or more depending on how many questions are asked, what kind of tour guide you have, etc..

Your interview should take between 20-30 minutes. We have so many interviews to do in the day we can't go much longer. The info session is 30-45 minutes long I believe, but it might stretch into an hour if there are a lot of crowd questions. The tour can take over an hour. Depending on how thorough the tour guide is.

I hope I get a 20 minute interview so it's less pressure haha. But that could also be bad because that might indicate they're tired of talking to me and aren't interested anymore. 0_o

For anyone left to go: it wasn't so bad! They're so welcoming and friendly; I was actually smiling when I left the interview. I know everyone says it, but it's true that they really want to just get to know you and find out some more things about you.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone left to go: it wasn't so bad! They're so welcoming and friendly; I was actually smiling when I left the interview. I know everyone says it, but it's true that they really want to just get to know you and find out some more things about you.
Did they mention when the last day of interviews might be?

I had a wonderful experience today! What a beautiful campus and the students and faculty I interacted with were so welcoming and friendly. I really felt like they welcomed me with open arms and smiles.

The interview is very mellow especially compared to mmi interviews.

Also to help those of you who are planners: the info sessions are about 40 minutes long and you should go to one before your interview. The tour is about an hour or so and you can do that almost whenever. They do have tours after the info sessions but if you're like me and wanted to do the interview first then change shoes and tour after there are students available to walk you around.

When you check in you get a folder, name tag and a card with your interview time and room. There is a hospitality room where you can hang out and chat with current students. The interviewers come out and get you at your time so don't go in early ;) good luck everyone! Tennessee really seems like a fantastic school

Reactions: 3 users

I believe it's January 23rd? I think they all take place on a Saturday, this one being the first? I can't be certain, though.

The final day of interviews is Jan 23rd. And I was told that some were wondering if their date has any indication of chances of getting in - it does not. They simply dole out interview slots as they review applications and people accept/reject the invitation to interview for the school.

The final day of interviews is Jan 23rd. And I was told that some were wondering if their date has any indication of chances of getting in - it does not. They simply dole out interview slots as they review applications and people accept/reject the invitation to interview for the school.
I know I repeat myself but I haven't heard from them either way yet so just hoping I get some news soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Just wanted to wish you all luck with the interviews. I think I'm interested in this school, and so I'm interested in how the whole application process goes. Good luck everyone!

Should be the 23rd; I asked for the last day of interviews. Although, with the hardship statement people just getting their notifications there may be more interview dates added.

That would be so mean to categorize only one or two days filled with people who would get in! :( But that's what the interviews are for, so they can make an official decision because they don't know for sure yet until they interview; before that, they wouldn't be able to sort them accurately enough I don't think. If that makes sense.

Hey guys I'm headed to UT this weekend for my interview and I'll be down there alone for 3 nights. Any suggestions on things to do and check out? I won't have a car so getting around is mainly by taxi or walking

Hey guys I'm headed to UT this weekend for my interview and I'll be down there alone for 3 nights. Any suggestions on things to do and check out? I won't have a car so getting around is mainly by taxi or walking
The zoo is pretty nice (although small). There are a bunch of good restaurants. Knoxville is a test market for many businesses. Go to market square one day if you can. Neat little shopping area with restaurants. Nifty mom and pop or other one of a kind stores right in that area.

Downtown is pretty close by; you can catch a trolley/bus on Cumberland Avenue that goes downtown and explore that area. They've got some good places to eat too (Tomato Head and Tupelo Honey are a few of my favorites)

Should be the 23rd; I asked for the last day of interviews. Although, with the hardship statement people just getting their notifications there may be more interview dates added.

I spoke with Dr. Kirk and her response to this is - for those people who have yet to hear about whether or not they are getting an interview - if they hear back that they are being given an interview, those will be scheduled on an individual basis. There will not be another "mass interviewing" day. The admissions committee still has several applications to review, so since it's taking so long, they've decided to schedule with each person as they send out the letters. No timeline was given.

Also I just realized you said "alone", so I'd just like to add that being downtown alone when it gets dark can be of course a little scary; Market Square is generally pretty safe because there are a lot of people around. But there are homeless and other sketchy people lurking around, so I would be cautious. Cumberland Avenue itself is pretty safe during the evening/darker hours, too. So instead of going downtown, you could go there. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Also I just realized you said "alone", so I'd just like to add that being downtown alone when it gets dark can be of course a little scary; Market Square is generally pretty safe because there are a lot of people around. But there are homeless and other sketchy people lurking around, so I would be cautious. Cumberland Avenue itself is pretty safe during the evening/darker hours, too. So instead of going downtown, you could go there. :)

Thank you so much!

Hopefully we will hear something soon

I'm sure you guys will hear something soon! They've got a lot going on (current mass interviews and the beginning of a new semester starting tomorrow) so I'm sure after things settle down, there will be word sent out.

If it makes you feel any better, those of us who've already gone through interviews or have them lined up for one of the next two Saturdays, we all now have to wait in agony until around February 15th to hear whether or not we've been given an offer of acceptance. So you remaining people who've yet to even get an interview lined up aren't the only ones going through the struggle. :)

we all now have to wait in agony

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure you guys will hear something soon! They've got a lot going on (current mass interviews and the beginning of a new semester starting tomorrow) so I'm sure after things settle down, there will be word sent out.

If it makes you feel any better, those of us who've already gone through interviews or have them lined up for one of the next two Saturdays, we all now have to wait in agony until around February 15th to hear whether or not we've been given an offer of acceptance. So you remaining people who've yet to even get an interview lined up aren't the only ones going through the struggle. :)

I wouldn't compare waiting for an acceptance letter to waiting for an interview letter. While you're waiting in "agony" about whether or not you were accepted, they don't even know if they have an interview. At least an interview is getting through the front door. I doubt you meant it to be read as such, but be careful how you word things - you may be unintentionally hurting a lot of people.

I wouldn't compare waiting for an acceptance letter to waiting for an interview letter. While you're waiting in "agony" about whether or not you were accepted, they don't even know if they have an interview. At least an interview is getting through the front door. I doubt you meant it to be read as such, but be careful how you word things - you may be unintentionally hurting a lot of people.

That's what I don't like about SDN: people either take things too personally or jump to conclusions and attack people that meant no harm.

I was saying that people who are waiting for an interview aren't the only ones waiting--of course it's not the same type of waiting, but it's not like the rest of us who already got an interview are carefree and laughing after the fact. We're also waiting with just as much uncertainty and worry.

Based on my "smiley face" I ended that post with, it was meant to be somewhat reassuring--however possible that may be given the stressful and frustrating circumstances of the vet school application process. We're all in this together, no matter our final outcomes. We help, support, and advise each other.

That's what I don't like about SDN: people either take things too personally or jump to conclusions and attack people that meant no harm.]

Did you read what I wrote? I specifically stated that I "doubt you meant it to be read as such" and that you "may be unintentionally...". There was no attack nor any jumping to conclusions - in fact, you happen to be the one jumping to a conclusion because you didn't read that it was completely understood that you meant NO HARM by what you wrote. I find it odd that you believe I was both attacking you and taking what you wrote personally.

See my reply to the other vicious attacker.

Nobody is "viciously attacking" anyone. There are current students monitoring this thread to answer questions and give suggestions, not to tear you down. Please don't overreact. This is a professional networking site and people should act accordingly. What you post here can strongly influence how you're perceived by your future classmates, upperclassmen, and faculty.

Reactions: 7 users
Nobody is "viciously attacking" anyone. There are current students monitoring this thread to answer questions and give suggestions, not to tear you down. Please don't overreact. This is a professional networking site and people should act accordingly. What you post here can strongly influence how you're perceived by your future classmates, upperclassmen, and faculty.

You are right. There are people who are helping decide admissions reading these forums. And believe it or not, based on the information you provide, we can narrow down who you are.

Exactly. I could not agree more.

People are stressed; people are tired. I get that. But, honestly, things only get more stressful (and you only get more tired) once you get accepted (if you get accepted) into school. So it's a good idea to learn how to not get your nose out of joint so easily.

Exactly. I could not agree more.

People are stressed; people are tired. I get that. But, honestly, things only get more stressful (and you only get more tired) once you get accepted (if you get accepted) into school. So it's a good idea to learn how to not get your nose out of joint so easily.
And even when you graduate.

What is the weather looking like for Knoxville this weekend? I'll be heading down Friday for my interview on Saturday!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm excited about my interview. More importantly, I'm excited to break out my long-johns and waffle-top. Who needs 75*F in the middle of January? I want to see my breath and slip on some ice (and catch myself gracefully of course, all while not spilling my coffee). :coffee:

I know a few of you out there know all about the waffle-top. Honk for Waffle-Tops! :horns:

What is the weather looking like for Knoxville this weekend? I'll be heading down Friday for my interview on Saturday!

Lately, it's kind of been all over the place. This morning the forecast was snow for Saturday, now the forecast says cloudy. Prepare for cold nights in the 20's or lower, with daytime in the 40's at the most - and add a little wind, just in case. Yesterday was very windy, today - nothing. Everything for the interview/tour is inside - the school is attached to the two clinics and we try to keep everyone warm. Plus the POD just opened, so Starbucks and warm food is available should you desire, right next to the first year classroom.

Plus the POD just opened, so Starbucks and warm food is available should you desire, right next to the first year classroom.
This makes me cry for the number of times I caught the durn bus and commuted all the way to the main campus library for Starbucks...

Still waiting for some kind of word over here...lol

Mentioned this to Dr. Kirk today, and she's looking into why it's taking so long to get some of you responses. As always, if you would like, do call the office and inquire about it because it's important that you know one way or the other, and they understand that fact. They won't be annoyed that you've called to ask about interviews. They're extremely nice and understanding!

Mentioned this to Dr. Kirk today, and she's looking into why it's taking so long to get some of you responses. As always, if you would like, do call the office and inquire about it because it's important that you know one way or the other, and they understand that fact. They won't be annoyed that you've called to ask about interviews. They're extremely nice and understanding!

Awesome! Thank you for the advice!

Good luck to everyone who has interviews tomorrow!

Reactions: 4 users
I just checked into my hotel in Knoxville :D!

For those of you interviewing tomorrow... I'll be the crazy blonde 4th year student running around in ICU or triage. I'm on emergency. Give me a wave!

Good luck everyone! The folks here are very friendly and welcoming so try to relax and have a good time :D I really enjoyed my whole interview day.

So if we have not heard anything should we consider it a rejection?