University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! See the post I put in #292. Do what Dyachei said. They're super nice - I would give them a ring on Monday.
I did call two weeks ago and they told me we would have a response by that Friday, they were still going through applicants. But I never heard anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

I did call two weeks ago and they told me we would have a response by that Friday, they were still going through applicants. But I never heard anything else.
Then call again. I promise they don't really mind. The admissions team at UTK are very nice people. It would be unfortunate if you got lost in the shuffle, but it can happen. The best way to prevent it is to communicate with them. :)

Then call again. I promise they don't really mind. The admissions team at UTK are very nice people. It would be unfortunate if you got lost in the shuffle, but it can happen. The best way to prevent it is to communicate with them. :)
Just called and they said emails would go out today by 5:00 not sure if that's good news or not :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a little late (a lot, actually) joining SDN but I wanted to drop in and introduce myself! I have an interview at UT on January 23rd and I couldn't be more excited! Good luck to all! :)

Reactions: 1 users
How about you?
I'm sorry to hear that! I still haven't heard but am assuming the same. I called last week and they said it would be a couple of days. Guess I'll just call again on Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
OS interviews are this coming weekend! I looked a lot through the school page where people talk about previous interview questions. A lot of them are old though, like most form around 2009. I was wondering if y'all had any recent stuff (people who interviewed last year maybe). I don't feel prepared reading through older stuff unless someone can assure me that it's still right!

OS interviews are this coming weekend! I looked a lot through the school page where people talk about previous interview questions. A lot of them are old though, like most form around 2009. I was wondering if y'all had any recent stuff (people who interviewed last year maybe). I don't feel prepared reading through older stuff unless someone can assure me that it's still right!

Be yourself and remember what you put in your application, ;) The questions are straight forward and they're just trying to get to know you better, not throw you for a loop. If they throw a zinger at you, you're probably doing really well :D

And I totally didn't give you any examples form last year - stellar! It's late and classes are in session, so pardon the scatter-brain..... In mine, they aimed for things like personal goals, my past (I'm a non-trad, so there was a lot about that), things I did to prepare for vet school, a failure, a success, my veterinary experiences. I think that pretty much sums it all up in general terms. Like I mentioned above, they're asking you about things you would have put in your application to begin with, so there's nothing they can ask that should throw you for a loop. Also, if you don't know something, say so! They literally just want to get to know you and see if you are a fit for the school.

Hmm let's see...I can't remember everything from last year and some of it is hard to generalize because it was specific to my app, but they asked about my experiences, something that stuck with me from one of them, what I thought I could bring to the class that no one else could, the role and importance of the human/animal bond in society, some of my hobbies.

So I have my interview scheduled for this weekend 1/23, and I was planning on driving down from Virginia, but there is a severe snow storm forming from TN to VA starting Friday....
Does anyone know if they would reschedule due to weather?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have my interview scheduled for this weekend 1/23, and I was planning on driving down from Virginia, but there is a severe snow storm forming from TN to VA starting Friday....
Does anyone know if they would reschedule due to weather?

It's unlikely they'll reschedule. There are entirely too many people coming to the interview day, all with varying travel plans, to cancel. Plus the poor weather is only to the east, and Knoxville proper is only slotted to get 1-3 inches plus slushy rain, for which, I know for a fact, the University doesn't cancel classes. That said - should the blizzard of the century appear, you'll likely hear about any cancellation before we do! ;) As always, with something such as this - call the school if you're concerned with travel issues. Safety is paramount and no interview is worth losing your life over! Give the office a ring if you're concerned, they won't mind, I promise!!

FYI, there is talk of pushing interviews back to the 30th if the snow storm is bad. At this point, we're slated to miss most of it, so it's still a go for this Saturday. I know we will do Skype interviews for those that can't travel due to the storms.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am on my way down there a day early to avoid the snow storm brewing for Virginia.
Safe travels to everyone!!!

I don't know about everyone else, but I am on my way down there a day early to avoid the snow storm brewing for Virginia.
I just got a call from Deborah offering to reschedule my interview if I didn't think that I could make it there safely. Be careful getting there and know you can reschedule if you really need too!

I'm coming from Ohio and I'm doing the same thing just to make sure that I can make it safely.

I was planning on leaving tomorrow... now I'm worried that I might get down there and the school will be closed!

I was planning on leaving tomorrow... now I'm worried that I might get down there and the school will be closed!
It's possible, but hopefully not. All the weather models I've seen look like TN is in the lighter snow area. It's further north that looks bad.

I would recommend calling your airline as well to confirm your flights are still a Go. I was originally routed through Charlotte, but I would have been stranded since they cancelled my connecting flight to Knoxville. I had to change plans a bit, but I should still make it there tomorrow.

Good luck, but be safe.

Last edited:
I'm heading up tonight instead of tomorrow too! Anyone have any suggestions for things to do / places to eat in Knoxville tomorrow?

I'm heading up tonight instead of tomorrow too! Anyone have any suggestions for things to do / places to eat in Knoxville tomorrow?

I've got suggestions for days. It all depends on what you like to do and what you like to eat. For example, if you like hamburgers go to Stock & Barrel on Market Square.

Heading out now... wish me luck! I hope everyone has a safe trip!

I am in Knoxville. And the news stations are now calling for more snow and ice than originally anticipated. If enough people can't make it, will they postpone until Sunday? Or next weekend?

I am in Knoxville. And the news stations are now calling for more snow and ice than originally anticipated. If enough people can't make it, will they postpone until Sunday? Or next weekend?
I reached out to Deborah to reschedule and she put me on the rescheduling list. She won't be able to give me a date until next week.

Come to the school, walk into the admissions office, and ask what they plan on doing. They'll be aware people are here/on their way, and you'll get an answer. Also, if someone is tooling around, you might get a tour or something from a student if we're bored (LOL!), especially if they do decide to cancel. You're here, you may as well get something out of it!

Hey guys! I'm here early too and I went up to the admissions office this morning and the wonderful Mrs. Viena (vet school librarian) gave me a little tour and led me to the admissions office. The assistant dean (I think it was) said that everything will be proceeding as planned right now, she will be sleeping in the office with some other staff to ensure they are there to greet those that are in town.

Everyone that I have come in contact with has been absolutely lovely. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Also, PM me if you would like to meet up for dinner in town tonight. I like anything with veggie options- and my husband likes anything with meat options.

This was just posted on the CVM website:

"Friday, January 22, 2016

Veterinary School Admission Interviews will be delayed by 1 hour due to the predicted snow storm. Those interviewees that are in Knoxville and are able to safely travel to the University of Tennessee will begin interviews starting at 10:00 am. If you are scheduled for an interview and are delayed in arrival due to travel conditions, we will make every effort to accommodate you in the next available interview opening. Please call to advise us you will be arriving late. Our contact information can be found here.

An additional interview date will be next Saturday (Jan. 30, 2016) to accommodate those unable to travel due to weather conditions. Interviewees must first call and cancel tomorrow's interview and reschedule in order schedule next Saturday.

The Admissions Office is currently experiencing excessive phone contacts and will respond to emails and phone messages as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding."

Anyone know of any places close by to take my dog? :)

I just had the best experience in an interview ever and the tour was amazing!!!

Everyone is friendly, the school is nice, and the interview was a friendly chat.

They said we would hear back sometime at the end of February or beginning of March. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Amazing interview and tour, beautiful school and hospital. It took 16 hours to drive here instead of 9, but I'm glad I got here! Thanks for having me Tennessee!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just had the best experience in an interview ever and the tour was amazing!!!

Everyone is friendly, the school is nice, and the interview was a friendly chat.

They said we would hear back sometime at the end of February or beginning of March. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!!!

I totally agree!! OOS and thoroughly surprised on how much I loved it!
The professors truly seemed like they wanted to be there for the students and the students seemed like a big family.
The interview was so laid back for me! I was joking and laughing with them by the end of it.

Side note: I'm not sure if I will get accepted because I have a lower GPA and GRE but I do know that I would definitely reapply if my IS doesn't accept me!

Hope you all had good interview experiences too!!

I totally agree!! OOS and thoroughly surprised on how much I loved it!
The professors truly seemed like they wanted to be there for the students and the students seemed like a big family.
The interview was so laid back for me! I was joking and laughing with them by the end of it.

Side note: I'm not sure if I will get accepted because I have a lower GPA and GRE but I do know that I would definitely reapply if my IS doesn't accept me!

Hope you all had good interview experiences too!!

Yup! I am exactly the same! Lower GPA and GRE, but I don't think they are looking at that as much as some schools. I really think they are looking for the whole package- who will do well as a vet- rather than who will do the best in vet school. After all, vet school is 4 years, vet career is 20+ (for me, I think I'll practice till I literally fall over dead).

I hope I get in this year too, but just like you said, I'm reapplying next year if not. And I actually told them that in the interview. I said, "unfortunately for you guys, I did the tour and love the school, so I hope you like seeing me because if I'm not accepted this year, I'll be back next year!"

For those of you that already interviewed, what kinds of questions were you asked? I interviewed Saturday (23rd) and was so nervous that I felt like I literally stumbled through every sentence. I also paused often, and I'm sure I had an expression of complete terror (LOL). I hope they know it was anxiety, and that I really am an intelligent person! Haha. I also went in expecting the usual "ice breaker" type questions (tell me about yourself...).

Not to be the integrity police or anything, but we were all asked to keep the interview questions to ourselves. As has already been said in previous posts, it's not too hard to discern who we are with the right about of information, so I'd exercise a little caution. It'd be silly to take yourself out of the running because you chose to ignore Dr. Kirk's request of confidentiality and post your questions on SDN.

Just my 2 cents though. :oldman:

Last edited:
Not to be the integrity police or anything, but we were all asked to keep the interview questions to ourselves. As has already been said in previous posts, it's not too hard to discern who we are with the right about of information, so I'd exercise a little caution. It'd be silly to take yourself out of the running because you chose to ignore Dr. Kirk's request of confidentiality and post your questions on SDN.

Can you delete your post? I deleted my content.

I wanted to apologize for the previous post. Though unaware of requests from administration to not reveal details, I should have exercised better judgement. I also wanted to apologize for causing anyone else to reveal details- totally not my intentions! I was just curious about the general experience. Thanks to those who called it to my attention! Best of luck to all.

Thank you for calling this to my attention! If you could delete my quote to prevent any issues, I would be so grateful! Best of luck.

I'm still waiting for somebody to come on here and say something along the lines of "everything was great, except one of the tour guides seemed surprisingly cynical and dark about the whole thing."

This is why they probably shouldn't let us 3rd years give tours...