University of Tennessee - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applying here? I am out of state, but I have some family there so it is one of my top choices! I would love to go to Knoxville after my first year, since that is where my family is.

I didn't apply early decision, but I have an interview on Sept 26th! I'm currently trying to find cheap airplane tickets still, because they asked me last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Knoxville is like ten mins away so you could go all the time

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview September 26th too! I am from Memphis, so I am excited about the possibility of going to school at home.

I have an interview September 26th too! I am from Memphis, so I am excited about the possibility of going to school at home.

Awesome!!! How are your practicing? I just figured out I was officially going to go that early, so I haven't started doing much yet. I'm interviewing at Knoxville - bummer we won't see each other but good luck!

I'm still shocked my interview is so early - I didn't apply early decisions!

I didn't apply early decision either! And my email ended up going to my spam box so I was a week late seeing it.. now it all feels really rushed :/ i am looking at the page for UT on the interview feedback forum on this website. if you haven't seen it yet, students who have interviewed there post about it, including a bunch of questions they were asked! i'm just going to try to come up with some talking points for the questions that are on there.

I didn't apply early decision either! And my email ended up going to my spam box so I was a week late seeing it.. now it all feels really rushed :/ i am looking at the page for UT on the interview feedback forum on this website. if you haven't seen it yet, students who have interviewed there post about it, including a bunch of questions they were asked! i'm just going to try to come up with some talking points for the questions that are on there.

What? I'll have to try to find it! In case I can't find it, can you post a link? :) I'd really appreciate it!

I found it! Those look like pretty straight forward questions. Doesn't look too bad!

Yeah they look alright. And it seems like everyone thinks the interview was pretty laid back!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted on the 26th as well. Interview was super easy.

I got accepted too! Interview was really more of a conversation than questioning.

Congrats to everyone!! Anyone want to share their acceptance stats? I have a 3.5 GPA, 84 PCAT, and experience as a pharm tech for the past 1.5 years.

3.4 overall, 3.6 science (BS Chemistry, Bio minor), 97 PCAT, undergrad chem research, ~30 hours volunteer hospital experience. If you can do PChem, you can do anything.

So did some of you get accepted on the same day you interviewed? How did they contact you about your acceptance? I'm interviewing November 14 and was just curious how soon I should expect a response.

So did some of you get accepted on the same day you interviewed? How did they contact you about your acceptance? I'm interviewing November 14 and was just curious how soon I should expect a response.

Yes! It was the same day. I got done with the interview and presentation about 12:30 and got the call at 3:30!

They said they'd call within a week, but I'm pretty sure everyone was called that day...at least all the people I talked to!

Last edited:
Were you guys early decision?

As with everyone else, I got my call the same day. They said they would call by 5, but my phone call came at around 5:30 (and I was freaking out the whole waiting time, haha). This was the early decision interview date, but personally I was NOT early decision. I submitted my whole application at the end of August, and they contacted me early since I applied early. They call you that day no matter what, saying you are accepted, denied, waitlisted, or need to submit your fall 2014 grades and/or new PCAT and will be reconsidered after that.

That's awesome they call the same day. The waiting and not knowing is by far the worst part of the whole application process.

What campus did you guys select? I picked Knoxville, because that's where my boyfriends family is from.

I was early decision because UT is the only school I want to go to and had a strong application, but most people apply to multiple schools I guess. They called me a couple hours later as well, and I am at Knoxville campus since I am from here. I just thought I was done with the Big Orange Screw. :laugh:

I was early decision because UT is the only school I want to go to and had a strong application, but most people apply to multiple schools I guess. They called me a couple hours later as well, and I am at Knoxville campus since I am from here. I just thought I was done with the Big Orange Screw. :laugh:

If I decide to go to UT maybe we could meet up! I've been born and raised in MN, but I've spent probably 2 months cumulative in Knoxville due to my boyfriend's family lives there. I've never been to Memphis before though!

Sure. I've never been to Memphis either.

I am from Memphis, so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to ask!

Is it terrifying? I haven't heard much but everything I have heard is about the crime.
Just like any other city, you have to know which areas to stay out of. If you use common sense (don't walk alone at night, etc.) you will be fine. I never felt unsafe.

That's what I figured. It's the same with Minneapolis. Though we don't have that much of a name for crime (I believe), I always get e-mails about crime alerts around the campus (I currently go to the U of MN), and 99% of them involve people walking around at 3am by themselves around bars and party scenes.

That's what I figured. It's the same with Minneapolis. Though we don't have that much of a name for crime (I believe), I always get e-mails about crime alerts around the campus (I currently go to the U of MN), and 99% of them involve people walking around at 3am by themselves around bars and party scenes.

I'm from Los Angeles..it's extremely dangerous walking outside during late night..only exception is new york..which I'm not still used to.

Anyone know pros/cons of Memphis vs. Knoxville campus? Aside from the area I just wonder if the quality of education is exactly the same or not.

The education is the same because the classes are taught to both campuses by one professor using Skype for the other location, more or less. I think more professors teach live in Memphis, but there are some live in Knoxville too. So as long as you don't care that your teacher may be on a screen instead of right in front of you, the education is exactly the same.

The education is the same because the classes are taught to both campuses by one professor using Skype for the other location, more or less. I think more professors teach live in Memphis, but there are some live in Knoxville too. So as long as you don't care that your teacher may be on a screen instead of right in front of you, the education is exactly the same.

Ok thanks for the info.

However, since Memphis is the main health campus some things are only offered in Memphis such as PharmD/PhD and nuclear certification.

However, since Memphis is the main health campus some things are only offered in Memphis such as PharmD/PhD and nuclear certification.

See this is the kind of stuff I was wanting to find out. Thanks.

I have applied with a pharmcas mail date of 10/09, and they should have received my pcat score on 10/23 or so. How long might it take to hear back for an interview?

I have applied with a pharmcas mail date of 10/09, and they should have received my pcat score on 10/23 or so. How long might it take to hear back for an interview?

There's no way to know. Depends on strength of ur application. I applied in July and was invited mid October. Some applied at the same time and were invited earlier and some will be later. Just depends.

Ya I got an interview literally the day after I submitted pharmcas. My pcat score and gpa hadn't even been confirmed. And I had no letters of rec. This was early October. I'm assuming this was because I have a master's degree in chemistry. I read somewhere in their site that graduate work is preferred. I have an interview on the 14 like I said earlier in here. My app is complete now. Can anyone give me a quick summary of how your interview went?

There's no way to know. Depends on strength of ur application. I applied in July and was invited mid October. Some applied at the same time and were invited earlier and some will be later. Just depends.

Okay. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure.

Ya I got an interview literally the day after I submitted pharmcas. My pcat score and gpa hadn't even been confirmed. And I had no letters of rec. This was early October. I'm assuming this was because I have a master's degree in chemistry. I read somewhere in their site that graduate work is preferred. I have an interview on the 14 like I said earlier in here. My app is complete now. Can anyone give me a quick summary of how your interview went?

I have heard from multiple sources that their interview process is very comfortable and laid back.

The interview day starts at 8 with you filling out some forms about you and about your campus preference. Then there is a presentation by one of the deans. You write a quick essay just as a writing sample. They split us into two groups. One goes on tours (wear comfortable shoes!) and the other stays for a presentation by a student. During the presentation, people are called out one by one for interviews. Most people were gone about 20-30 minutes. Then the groups switch. After that, there is another closing presentation. We got done at 12:30. It was very laid back. I was interviewed by a professor and a student and they were really nice.

Reactions: 1 user
The interview day starts at 8 with you filling out some forms about you and about your campus preference. Then there is a presentation by one of the deans. You write a quick essay just as a writing sample. They split us into two groups. One goes on tours (wear comfortable shoes!) and the other stays for a presentation by a student. During the presentation, people are called out one by one for interviews. Most people were gone about 20-30 minutes. Then the groups switch. After that, there is another closing presentation. We got done at 12:30. It was very laid back. I was interviewed by a professor and a student and they were really nice.
Thank for this! Sounds like a pretty cool experience. I plan on wearing a suit, I should bring some comfy shoes as a backup? Did they ask things like why do you want to do this and things like that?