University of Tennessee pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwebwe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me more information about the school of pharmacy in University of Tennessee?
1) is it a 2+4 program
2) do I have to do pharmcas to apply for PRE-pharmacy program
3) is it easier to get into the pharmacy school if I start with pre-pharmacy at UT first?
4) what are the percentage of international student being accepted into the school?
5) how do you like the school

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I can fill you in on some of the details. 1. There is no 2+4, There is the 3+1 program, which basically means 3 years of undergrad/prereqs, and after your first year of pharmacy school you get a complimentary bachelors degree, so to speak. However, UT is a competitive school and few people get accepted without having a bachelors degree. 2. You do not have to do pharmCAS for pre-pharm work. pharmCAS is only for your application to pharmacy school itself. Just make sure you have a good advisor in the pre-professional program at your college. 3. I am not sure whether it is easier to get in if you go to undergrad at UT. UTK students make up the greatest percentage, with UTMartin, and a few UTChattanooga students in there as well. I don't think that you would have an advantaged over someone who went to ETSU, TTU, or MTSU - the important component is you are a Tennessee resident as they get priority. 4. International students make up a small minority, there are probably less then 5% of a class. 5. UT is one of the best programs in my opinion, particularly for a state school. One of the major advantages is the fact you get out on rotations a semester earlier then many colleges (start your spring semester of P3 year). The faculty are very well published and renowned in their fields. Go Vols!! (so maybe I am biased, but all above are facts. hehe)

Reactions: 1 users
I know at least 4 people from Austin Peay State University without Bachelors degrees who got accepted for fall 2008 to UT's Pharmacy school. APSU is in Clarksville, TN and has a really good Chemistry department with a really good reputation with UT. However they do require 3 years of undergraduate work minimum and like it has already been stated most people accepted do already have a bachelors degree. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My cumulative GPA is 3.7 and overall is 3.4. I have no pharmacy experience and very low pcat. i have applied to university of Tennessee, Memphis. i called them and explain them what are my stats. the lady replied me that i can confidently apply. I am confuse. what are my chances?

^this

Their average has been in the 70s the last few years.

What is a very low PCAT?

Seeing people with pcat scores like 10's percentile got in good schools (e.g. U of Arizona), I would venture a guess here to say low pcat these days ranging from 0 to single digit percentile ;)