University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CROOK

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about the University of Tennessee?

Members don't see this ad.

That is quite the broad question. I am from TN and UT was one of the schools at which I was accepted. What do you want to know?

What was the interview like? Were you impressed with their facilities? Did you meet Dr. Wisdom Coleman?
Just general information about the school that an applicant might need to know.

It was a committee interview, with two faculty members and Dr. Coleman. It was not too formal-more of a conversation than an interview. The committee really seemed to just want to find out if the applicant could carry on a conversation. If didn't seem too tough.

The facilities were nice; they are currently integrating a lot more technology into the curriculum with the use of simulators for pre-clinic. Downtown Memphis is a bit rough, but I didn't feel threatened.

Dr. Coleman is great. He is one of the most honest and interesting people I met in all of my interviewing experience. He is an asset to the school, as I am sure he has been the reason for many to choose UT.

The real negative (if you want to call it that) about UT is that they aren't so good when compared to the rest of the schools in the US. They prepare their students well enough for the clinical side, but they dont do well on the National Boards Part I (which is all academic). A friend of mine who is finishing up his freshman year there actually told me it was relatively EASY, which is crazy considering what I have heard of other schools. That is reflected, though, in their NBDE Part I scores. This might make it harder for one to specialize, as Part I is important to specialty programs. I wanted a school that teaches more of the science than UT did, while still giving me a good clinical education. Many dentists have told me that every school shows you well enough how to be a good clinician, and you have your whole life to get better and faster at it, but you only have the four years of school to learn the science.

UT isn't a bad place at all; in fact, I was impressed by it. It just didnt fit what I wanted.