University of Texas 2018 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmersphight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a pre-pharmacy student in Texas hoping to be a member of the UT College of Pharmacy Class of 2018. Let's get a thread going to discuss applications, interviews and (hopefully) acceptances. :thumbup:

I'm applying to Texas, U of H, Tech (Abilene), and A&M Kingsville. I'm mostly done with my PharmCAS app and I completed the supplementary app for UT today. I will have a degree already and took the PCAT this month (98th percentile composite). Who else is in the midst of applications and the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the supplemental app have an essay, or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, My dream pharmacy school is UT's pharmacy school! I am dying to get in! I am planning on applying next summer(2014). I want advise from people that have been admitted! What can you have that will make you stand out forsure? what can strongly influence your acceptance? please give me as much information as you can! This is my dream and I want it make it come true!

As of now, my Stats:
current gpa a 3.7
I am going to apply without a bachelors degree
I dont have any pharmacy experience YET, but i am taking the technician test in october
as soon as I do that I am going to apply for a job
and I have about 7 places I have volunteered at so far

please give me advise!

I also would like to apply to UT but I don't have the foreign language requirements on the application, any one else with same problem? Has anyone talked to their pharmacy adviser about this?

here are my stats, not sure if i will be competitive for UT
PCAT
comp 82

Last edited:
I also would like to apply to UT but I don't have the foreign language requirements on the application, any one else with same problem? Has anyone talked to their pharmacy adviser about this?

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that if you have a Bachelor's degree prior to matriculation then many of the UT-specific general education requirements are waived.

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that if you have a Bachelor's degree prior to matriculation then many of the UT-specific general education requirements are waived.

I emailed one of the advisers there, I hope they don't require that with a bachelor's degree I already have 170 credit hrs :laugh: Don;t need extra!

I'm also a student at UT applying to UT, GPA 3.45, 4+ experience as a pharm tech. 300+ volunteer hours as a leader. However, I totally bombed the PCAT..bummer...Do you guys think I should even hope to get in ? :(

I'm also a student at UT applying to UT, GPA 3.45, 4+ experience as a pharm tech. 300+ volunteer hours as a leader. However, I totally bombed the PCAT..bummer...Do you guys think I should even hope to get in ? :(

I'm in the same boat. I'm still taking some of the pre reqs (ochem classes and biology classes), so I didn't do too well on the PCAT.

I'm applying from out-of-state. I wonder what's my probability of getting in. Oh well, good luck to everyone! :)

When does UT start sending interview invites? I sent mines a while back and haven't heard anything yet :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about invites, but I think they their first interview dates are in January.

Just received an email saying my application is under review, and they will let me know...anyone else has an update on their applications?

Just received an email saying my application is under review, and they will let me know...anyone else has an update on their applications?

I got the same email in early Sept, but haven't heard anything since.

Hi everyone,

I would love my fellow peers' opinions on my chances :)

The main school I want to get into is University of Texas, but I also applied to A&M, Texas Tech, and Houston.

My GPA as of this semester is 3.8252. (Science & Math GPA is more around 3.75) My PCAT score, which I took last year, is 95% composite.

Since June, I've been volunteering 3 hours a week (almost 60 hours by the time I submitted my app), at my local hospital pharmacy, doing basic stuff like labeling, clerical stuff. I am certified to work as a pharm tech but was unsuccessful in finding a job, so sadly I couldn't put that on my application. In addition to volunteering, I've been an active member of a health professions organization for 2.5 years at my school, I've shadowed pharmacists twice, and I worked for one semester as a facility technician (not pharmacy related, but still work experience).

I got references from my Ochem professor (got an A in his class), and the pharmacy administrator who I run duties for at the hospital. I asked my Biochem professor as well, but she has been completely unresponsive and did not submit a reference (which makes me nervous about TT, Houston, and A&M, which requires 3 letters... but there's still time for TT and Houston I guess since their deadline is December, may have to ask someone else).

I WILL be obtaining a Bachelors degree in Biology by the Spring as well, which may be seen as a plus to the admissions committee.

I feel my personal statement is strong, and my interviewing skills are decent (not amazing, but decent -- I WILL practice!)

Also, might be important, but I applied to UTCOP last cycle, got an interview, but did not get accepted :( I hope it looks good that I'm trying again this year. And I didn't get in last year with a 3.889 GPA, 95 PCAT - the only thing missing from my application was pharmacy-related work/volunteer experience, and that's the sole reason I didn't get in. Since then, I got PT certified and volunteered at my hospital, which I hope is enough.

Any thoughts on if I have a chance this year would be greatly appreciated! I remember how upset I was when I didn't get in last year because everyone thought I would, so I don't know what I'll do this year if I don't get in.... lol. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

The main school I want to get into is University of Texas, but I also applied to A&M, Texas Tech, and Houston.

My GPA as of this semester is 3.8252. (Science & Math GPA is more around 3.75) My PCAT score, which I took last year, is 95% composite.

Since June, I've been volunteering 3 hours a week (almost 60 hours by the time I submitted my app), at my local hospital pharmacy, doing basic stuff like labeling, clerical stuff. I am certified to work as a pharm tech but was unsuccessful in finding a job, so sadly I couldn't put that on my application. In addition to volunteering, I've been an active member of a health professions organization for 2.5 years at my school, I've shadowed pharmacists twice, and I worked for one semester as a facility technician (not pharmacy related, but still work experience).

I got references from my Ochem professor (got an A in his class), and the pharmacy administrator who I run duties for at the hospital. I asked my Biochem professor as well, but she has been completely unresponsive and did not submit a reference (which makes me nervous about TT, Houston, and A&M, which requires 3 letters... but there's still time for TT and Houston I guess since their deadline is December, may have to ask someone else).

I WILL be obtaining a Bachelors degree in Biology by the Spring as well, which may be seen as a plus to the admissions committee.

I feel my personal statement is strong, and my interviewing skills are decent (not amazing, but decent -- I WILL practice!)

Also, might be important, but I applied to UTCOP last cycle, got an interview, but did not get accepted :( I hope it looks good that I'm trying again this year. And I didn't get in last year with a 3.889 GPA, 95 PCAT - the only thing missing from my application was pharmacy-related work/volunteer experience, and that's the sole reason I didn't get in. Since then, I got PT certified and volunteered at my hospital, which I hope is enough.

Any thoughts on if I have a chance this year would be greatly appreciated! I remember how upset I was when I didn't get in last year because everyone thought I would, so I don't know what I'll do this year if I don't get in.... lol. Thanks!

Are you saying that you applied with zero pharmacy volunteering/work experience? They're very serious about applicants having pharmacy experience, so it's not that surprising that someone with no experience wouldn't get in even if their numbers were good. Sounds like you'll have a better shot this time around. They want to know why you want to be a pharmacist and it's kind of hard to explain why you want to work in pharmacy without having any real experience working (or volunteering) in a pharmacy setting.

Are you saying that you applied with zero pharmacy volunteering/work experience? They're very serious about applicants having pharmacy experience, so it's not that surprising that someone with no experience wouldn't get in even if their numbers were good. Sounds like you'll have a better shot this time around. They want to know why you want to be a pharmacist and it's kind of hard to explain why you want to work in pharmacy without having any real experience working (or volunteering) in a pharmacy setting.
Thanks for your input! To answer your question, I did not have any work or volunteering experience related to pharmacy, but I did shadow some pharmacists at that point - that's about it. I just wish I had someone to tell me how important work/volunteer experience was when I applied that first time - I guess I didn't realize how much they take it into account. A lot of people had told me that they got in without any pharmacy experience either, so I didn't think it would be that big a deal. I really learned my lesson.

So basically to all aspiring pharmacy school applicants, I'd recommend not even thinking about applying unless you have either worked as a pharmacy technician, or have volunteer experience in a pharmacy. Yes, there's a slim chance you might get accepted somewhere (depends on the competitiveness of the school you're applying to), but you don't want to risk it and waste a year of your life like I did. If you're set on pharmacy when starting college, get certified and get a job, or volunteer!

Has anybody been able to find the UT interview dates online? I've found dates for the other schools I'm applying to, but UT doesn't seem to post them.

Has anybody been able to find the UT interview dates online? I've found dates for the other schools I'm applying to, but UT doesn't seem to post them.
Acc to PharmCAS:
  • Interview Dates:
    • Last Friday and Saturday in January.
    • First Friday and Saturday In February.

Acc to PharmCAS:
  • Interview Dates:
    • Last Friday and Saturday in January.
    • First Friday and Saturday In February.
Right, I saw that on PharmCAS, but I wasn't sure if UT had posted anything on its website yet to confirm the PharmCAS dates.

Good luck applicants! I am a current UTCOP-er. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try my best to answer when I have time.

Hi everyone,

You have wonderful stats on paper, but my guesses are that you didn't make the cut either via interview or personal statement. You can be the brightest crayon in the box, but if you can't convey your passion for the profession in person or in writing, that can be your downfall.

Pharmersphight is also somewhat correct about adcom caring a lot about experience. That being said, however, I have many classmates who had absolutely no pharmacy-related experience upon matriculation. I just want to make sure everyone here knows that there are many unpredictable factors when it comes to their acceptance decisions, so in the end, there's no surefire checklist or equation or whatever that will get you in. I do think that quality is better than quantity, though.

I'll use myself as an example. I had a terrible PCAT and mediocre GPA. By the time I had my interview, I had ~2 months of paid retail experience under my belt. Theoretically, I was not a good candidate. However, I had dedicated most of my undergraduate years to one organization that had nothing to do with pharmacy. In my essay and interview, I turned this seemingly unrelated experience into something totally relevant to pharmacy. It was easier this way for me to convey my passion for pharmacy and the healthcare field in general. I know my interviewers got my message because my interview became more of a conversation in the end.

Bottom line/TLDR: Experience is not necessary, but, pharmacy-related or not, it will help you realize (and therefore communicate) your goals. If those goals are in line with what the College is looking for, you should be set to go! (I know, easier said than done... I was in your shoes too... lol.)

Reactions: 1 user
When does UT start sending interview invites? I sent mines a while back and haven't heard anything yet :/
Last year, I got my interview invite on December 29. I submitted my application on November 1st though, so I don't know if that would make a difference. Also, last year the deadline was extended to Nov 15th because of Hurricane Sandy. I would expect an invite from mid to late December.

Last year, I got my interview invite on December 29. I submitted my application on November 1st though, so I don't know if that would make a difference. Also, last year the deadline was extended to Nov 15th because of Hurricane Sandy. I would expect an invite from mid to late December.
Good to know! How long after the interview were you notified about acceptance?

It takes UT 3-4 weeks after the interview to notify of acceptance.

i wish they would send interview invites out already! i know I need to be patient .....i am literally counting down days! lol

Just got my invitation as well! I'm going to choose one of the afternoon sessions on Jan 25th.

I'm going to schedule it for January! The sooner I interview d sooner I hear back! Right?! Lol congrats everyone!

I got an interview for round 2 (first weekend of feb). Cant do the prev weekend cause of another interview.
They don't start reviewing until everyone interviews since it's not rolling admissions. So going earlier/later doesn't matter! :)

Just got my invitation for an interview today!! :) Saturday, February 1st... afternoon session! :) WOOO! So excited!

Got an invite today. I think I might pass on this one because Texas is kinda a far drive for me. I already got accepted into my first choice university. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Got an invite today. I think I might pass on this one because Texas is kinda a far drive for me. I already got accepted into my first choice university. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

May I know what is your first choice? :)

Yay i got an interview too! This was a complete shock to me lol. I scheduled it january 25 for the 9:30 session :)

I had the hardest time deciding which school to attend when I was appyling but I decided to attend UT and I love it! We just finished up our final exams, and I have had an awesome first semester as a P1. If u guys need any advice on the application process or interview process, feel free to msg me on here! :)

Last edited:
I had the hardest time deciding which school to attend when I was appyling but I decided to attend UT and I love it! We just finished up our final exams, and I have had an awesome first semester as a P1. If u guys need any advice on the application process or interview process, feel free to msg me on here! :)
Hey, I was just wondering do you know about how many out of state applicants they interviewed last year? And also, how long after interviews did it take to find out about acceptances??

You'll likely hear back by early March

Last edited:
Hey, I was just wondering do you know about how many out of state applicants they interviewed last year? And also, how long after interviews did it take to find out about acceptances??
I'm curious about how many people (in general) that they interview. Is it like half of the applicants or are they more selective than that?

I'm curious about how many people (in general) that they interview. Is it like half of the applicants or are they more selective than that?
It looks like acc. to PharmCAS:
  • Estimated number interviewed for fall 2013 entering class: 250-260
  • Estimated number accepted for fall 2013 entering class: 140
And acc. to the Texas webpage, in 2012 they received about 500 apps...so about half get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user