University of Texas 2018 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys need to stop cracking me up with this "we're ranked 4th" crap. The USNWW rankings aren't determined by any standard, they're set by anonymous opinion polls sent out to all colleges of pharmacy. As to going to UT because you want to work in Texas, pharmacy schools are regional in who they usually hire. Austin hires UT, UH, and A&M; Houston hires UH, TSU, and UT; and Dallas hires OU, SWOSU, and Tech.

There is no Texas NAPLEX, just the law exam. Give it a week of studying and you'll pass. Just ask all of us non-Texas grads. As far as Austin being "boring", it depends on what interests you. If bars with live music aren't your forte or you're a bit on the conservative side then Austin is definitely boring. And arrogant.

lol I brought up the school ranking just to say the school doesn't need to change to get applicants and that I'm impressed they chose to change. The ranking is based on a lot of criteria like research, graduation rate etc. Although I wouldn't take the rankings to heart, I'm pretty sure it's not just some anonymous opinion poll. Plus from the people I've spoke to, people get interested in UT for the ranking but end up deciding to accept offers because of the positive interactions with previous students. I think UT is a solid Texas school just like A&M, UH, Tech etc. Sure there is no Texas NAPLEX, but you're more likely to have connections in Texas for jobs if you're from a Texas pharmacy school. I also think it's important to think about where you want to practice when you decide on a professional school because you can start to understand the region while you go to school. Sure, it's not crucial; but I like to interact with people from the region I'd like to practice in before I start to practice.

By the way, you just lost credibility because you called a whole city arrogant. Wow judgmental much? And for your information, some of us find Austin interesting because there are always opportunities to be creative like learning how to screen print, hat making etc. And people are generally accepting of personal style differences (like dying your hair pink etc). Austin is not just about live music and bars.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, considering pharmacy is becoming quite saturated... I don't think you can find a school you can just sit back and accept jobs when you graduate. I think UT is a solid school worth applying to, but I agree choosing school is more personal choice. I love the school and can tell you about my experience, but that doesn't mean it's the right school for you.

The interview process is a huge mess due to weather. I'm so sorry about that. They can't penalize you for bad weather. I'm sure they'll come up with a fair-as-much-as-possible way. If you're doing a phone/skype interview, I imagine they'll just take the group discussion portion away... I doubt they'll try a group chat. This could be a good thing or bad thing depending on the person. (But prepare for a group interview just in case.) Considering the school has been interviewing people for quite a long time, I imagine they don't have to talk to you much before they can make a good judgment on what kind of person you are. I imagine you won't be too bad off with the phone/skype interview. Good luck guys. I can't tell you you're all going to get in, only that trying your best will make you stronger.

If you don't get accepted and want to try again next year, you can make an appointment with Dr. Wilcox later to go over your application on how you can improve. I got rejected the first time I applied and got in the second time so don't lose hope.

By the way, you just lost credibility because you called a whole city arrogant. Wow judgmental much? And for your information, some of us find Austin interesting because there are always opportunities to be creative like learning how to screen print, hat making etc. And people are generally accepting of personal style differences (like dying your hair pink etc). Austin is not just about live music and bars.

LOL what do you mean "judgmental much"? You don't think it's arrogant for a town to put up billboards saying "Welcome to Austin. Please don't move here. I hear Dallas is nice" and have most of the residents support it? I lived in Austin for awhile and that's the mentality there. I'm sorry you couldn't find the humor in my comment but saying I lost credibility? I think it gives me more than I had before. As far as the comment about wanting to go to school with people you'll practice with, that's all tit for tat in the end. You really have no idea where you will be after graduation and with residency applications increasing while spots stay steady, it's very short sighted to say something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say we all listen to Ben. Who doesn't want to be a clinical pharmacist who's in his mid 20s with nothing else to do but spend time here on student doctor.

Last edited:
I say we all listen to Ben. Who doesn't want to be a clinical pharmacist who's in his mid 20s with no nothing else to do but spend here on student doctor.
Lol..... So I'm guessing we all got the email this morning confirming rescheduled interview time/date for feb.8. And mine is supposed to be rescheduled for this weekend and I haven't received a rescheduling confirmation email. I think I'm going to call them.....any thoughts?

Lol..... So I'm guessing we all got the email this morning confirming rescheduled interview time/date for feb.8. And mine is supposed to be rescheduled for this weekend and I haven't received a rescheduling confirmation email. I think I'm going to call them.....any thoughts?
You might as well call to make sure seeing that I wasn't included in the email last Friday for rescheduling haha. I finally got an email today to schedule a phone interview this week.

You might as well call to make sure seeing that I wasn't included in the email last Friday for rescheduling haha. I finally got an email today to schedule a phone interview this week.
so I called them and guess what?......They completely forgot about rescheduling me......lol.
Anyway its been resolved and I'm interviewing saturday morning! =-)

so I called them and guess what?......They completely forgot about rescheduling me......lol.
Anyway its been resolved and I'm interviewing saturday morning! =-)
I'll be doing the phone interview tomorrow afternoon! I'm bummed I can't make it in person, but I can't do much about that now. I haven't had a phone interview yet, but at least I won't have to wear a suit (unless I want to haha). Good luck this weekend!

I'll be doing the phone interview tomorrow afternoon! I'm bummed I can't make it in person, but I can't do much about that now. I haven't had a phone interview yet, but at least I won't have to wear a suit (unless I want to haha). Good luck this weekend!
Lol.... Did you at least get to visit the campus on your visit last week ? Good to you too. I'm sure your interview will go well!

Lol.... Did you at least get to visit the campus on your visit last week ? Good to you too. I'm sure your interview will go well!
I didn't end up coming to Austin; I heard about the campus closing before I left for the airport so I just canceled my flights.

Just got out of interview, and I'm having mixed feelings. I thought the group critical thinking session went great, but the interview itself felt like it could've gone better. My interviewers weren't very conversational or friendly, and every time I finished a response, they just nod, then write down stuff for what felt like forever. I'm really nervous, I REALLY wanna get into UT. My answers were good, for the most part, and I really tried to be engaging and express my desire and passion to become a pharmacist, but my interviewers weren't really engaging themselves :/

Do you think I have a chance of getting in? I am a re-applicant (I applied last year), and I feel my application improved, mainly the addition of pharmacy volunteer and shadowing experience, and a bachelor's degree this spring. Stellar academics (3.86 gpa, 95 composite PCAT), involved with a health professions club at school for 3 years, lots of community service and extracurriculars. I wish I could say the interview went great, and I thought I did pretty good, but the interviewers' behavior makes me think otherwise. Because many of the questions were situational, and I don't have experience working as a pharm tech yet, I couldn't really draw from those experiences and I'm afraid this lack of experience will be my downfall. (but I know some people who got into UT with just volunteer experience)

I'm so scared, guys :(
I had my phone interview this afternoon, it wasn't as bad as I expected, but I was caught off guard by all the situational questions they asked. I didn't quite answer their last question as well as I hoped, but I think everything else went fine. My interviewer was nice; they happened to have worked in the area I want to go in, so they explained a lot about the program and the rotation/residency sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my phone interview this afternoon, it wasn't as bad as I expected, but I was caught off guard by all the situational questions they asked. I didn't quite answer their last question as well as I hoped, but I think everything else went fine. My interviewer was nice; they happened to have worked in the area I want to go in, so they explained a lot about the program and the rotation/residency sites.

I guess they asked a lot of the situational questions because you didn't have a group interview.

Just kidding. Didn't read the post before yours.

Last edited:
Just got out of interview, and I'm having mixed feelings. I thought the group critical thinking session went great, but the interview itself felt like it could've gone better. My interviewers weren't very conversational or friendly, and every time I finished a response, they just nod, then write down stuff for what felt like forever. I'm really nervous, I REALLY wanna get into UT. My answers were good, for the most part, and I really tried to be engaging and express my desire and passion to become a pharmacist, but my interviewers weren't really engaging themselves :/

Do you think I have a chance of getting in? I am a re-applicant (I applied last year), and I feel my application improved, mainly the addition of pharmacy volunteer and shadowing experience, and a bachelor's degree this spring. Stellar academics (3.86 gpa, 95 composite PCAT), involved with a health professions club at school for 3 years, lots of community service and extracurriculars. I wish I could say the interview went great, and I thought I did pretty good, but the interviewers' behavior makes me think otherwise. Because many of the questions were situational, and I don't have experience working as a pharm tech yet, I couldn't really draw from those experiences and I'm afraid this lack of experience will be my downfall. (but I know some people who got into UT with just volunteer experience)

Hey u got and interview invite because they already think you are a great candidate .... Don't sweat the small stuff..,, I'm sure u did better than u think:)

Don't sweat it! I am sure you did wonderfully no matter the outcome. Some of my classmates had interviews similar to yours - interviewers just nodded and wrote down notes. People just have different interviewing styles. My interviewer was a talkative one and ended up doing most of the talking haha. There's really no definite way to tell, especially if you were confident in your answers. Your stats are fine. Good luck!

Just got out of my interview! Boy am I glad that's over! I think it went well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! They said we will hear back by the end of February! Anyone got a time machine?! Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody remember the dates of the admission committee meetings? I know they told us when they would be, but I forgot to write the dates down.

So those are the meeting dates. But will they also start calling people on the 12th and 19th?

They said they would notify people starting "at the end of February". I would guess maybe they will start calling between the 24th and 28th. That way they have time to get stuff together after the decisions are made. (This is me guessing. I can't remember exactly what was said.)

They said they would notify people starting "at the end of February". I would guess maybe they will start calling between the 24th and 28th. That way they have time to get stuff together after the decisions are made. (This is me guessing. I can't remember exactly what was said.)
My advisor told me we should hear between february 13th through march 1st. I guess depending when your interview was, and if they got to review your file on the days they have scheduled to review people. If we don't hear by march 1st we're probably wait listed. Well that's what my advisor told me.

My advisor told me we should hear between february 13th through march 1st. I guess depending when your interview was, and if they got to review your file on the days they have scheduled to review people. If we don't hear by march 1st we're probably wait listed. Well that's what my advisor told me.

Oh wow. Thanks for the info! Do you go to UT?

Does anybody know which GPA UT uses in admission decisions? In the closing statements the dean said they look at the science GPA, but when I asked the admissions people before they said prerequisite GPA. Do they take all of the calculated GPAs into consideration? This matters because my prerequisite GPA is a 3.8 and my science GPA is only a 3.5

This pharmacy school is really great :D So far the most enjoyable interview experience I've had.

Do you know if they review in chronological order base on interview dates? My original interview date was Jan 24th, but it was pushed to Feb 7 due to weather issues. I afraid it will jeopardize my chances of getting admitted into the college of pharmacy. :/

Do you know if they review in chronological order base on interview dates? My original interview date was Jan 24th, but it was pushed to Feb 7 due to weather issues. I afraid it will jeopardize my chances of getting admitted into the college of pharmacy. :/

They don't do rolling admission so don't worry at all :)

I'll
I dont think it will jepordize you. If you do really well in the interview you should be fine:) my advisor just said that sometimes they have so many they don't get through all the files that were before the 12th. So we just have to be patient D:

Interview got canceled again today due to weather :/ anyone going tomorrow ?

Interview got canceled again today due to weather :/ anyone going tomorrow ?

I live in Dallas, and I didn't want to risk driving down there. I opted for a Skype interview today instead. :)

I live in Dallas, and I didn't want to risk driving down there. I opted for a Skype interview today instead. :)

How did that go? I went to the interview today, but I don't think it turned out that well :'(

How did that go? I went to the interview today, but I don't think it turned out that well :'(

I think the interview itself went decently, but I'm not sure if it put me at a disadvantage by not being there in person and getting to interact during the group portion of the interview. :/

They don't so do not worry at all. I talked with Dean Wilcox last year and he said that essentially all candidates are ranked. Interviews are for UT to confirm the invitations. If you were an A-, the interview may push you into the A+ or kick you down to the B+ range and your interviewers will fight for you in front of the adcom if they think you are good. My friends interviewed on the second weekend but received acceptance the day after the fist meeting. UT ranked all of us to make it more fair. I am positive that they will factor in the lack of group interview and what not.

They don't so do not worry at all. I talked with Dean Wilcox last year and he said that essentially all candidates are ranked. Interviews are for UT to confirm the invitations. If you were an A-, the interview may push you into the A+ or kick you down to the B+ range and your interviewers will fight for you in front of the adcom if they think you are good. My friends interviewed on the second weekend but received acceptance the day after the fist meeting. UT ranked all of us to make it more fair. I am positive that they will factor in the lack of group interview and what not.

So they do start calling people after the first meeting?

I am pretty positive that UT started calling people the day right after the adcom meeting. Some of my friends got early calls during the morning, some late at at 5 P.M. Don't freak. We have done everything that we can.

I am pretty positive that UT started calling people the day right after the adcom meeting. Some of my friends got early calls during the morning, some late at at 5 P.M. Don't freak. We have done everything that we can.

^^^^ what this person said.

They started calling to let people know they were accepted?

They started calling to let people know they were accepted?
I don't think so. Probably not till thursday if your interview was before the 12th. They have their first meeting tomorrow, well they're supposed to.

Will someone please post if they've gotten accepted today and onward or if they know anybody who's gotten accepted...

Thanks

Did you get accepted yet? Has anyone heard anything yet?

Not yet, but I'm on the edge of my seat. lol. I just wanna know already. I've already accepted admission into the University of Houston though my passion is to go to UT Austin.

Not yet, but I'm on the edge of my seat. lol. I just wanna know already. I've already accepted admission into the University of Houston though my passion is to go to UT Austin.
Me too . I accepted a seat at Houston. But I really want to go to UT. Plus I already live in austin so i won't even have to move. :)

The waiting game sucks ugh :( someone needs to post that they got accepted already lol

I'm in San Antonio, which is close to Austin. That's a big plus for me. I also enjoy the Austin atmosphere, have visited there a lot, and UT is simply an amazing school. I have my fingers crossed.

I feel like my application is pretty good too. Going to have a BS in Biology from UTSA, GPA is pretty good at 3.71, PCAT composite was 79 though I scored above 90th percentile on Biology and close to 90th on Math and Chemistry (that Reading comp section came out of the left field for some reason), CPhT with over a year of experience, former officer in the Pre-Pharmacy Student Organization, I have two letters of recommendation from RPhT's I worked under, thought my interview went well, and I feel my personal statement was very strong. So yeah, it'll be pretty disappointing if I can't get in...

Last edited:
I wonder if there are any other threads that prospective UTCoP Class of 2018 students are active in? This is the only one I could find...

I wonder if there are any other threads that prospective UTCoP Class of 2018 students are active in? This is the only one I could find...

This is probably the only one on this site at least. I've read the forums from the incoming class last year and they started posting their acceptances after the second committee meeting.