University of Texas 2018 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got waitlist emails, what/who's email address sent it to you? Was it a person's email address or a "do not reply" email address? I'm trying to figure out where my wait list email is...I emailed Dr. Wilcox on Wednesday and he said that he was still talking with the Dean about students on the list, which included me, and would send me an email by the end of the week. I still haven't gotten one and I see the others on here have...I don't want to be too bothersome so I not going to contact Dr. Wilcox again until Monday, though I wonder what's going on...

The email wasn't personalized. It was sent from [email protected]

Have you not received ANY response (waitlist or deny)?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Which puzzles me because others on here SINCE Wednesday have gotten either denials or waitlist. I haven't gotten anything. And I basically know I haven't been outright denied from the response that Dr. Wilcox gave me on Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, it sure is unfortunate that someone can sit on their acceptance until around May 1st without committing to being accepted. I hope there are some diligent people who if are planning on declining do so sooner than that so we can get this waitlist moving! :thinking:

has anyone on the waitlist got a followup email with your position on the list? I'll probably email them tomorrow, but I wanted to check.​

Man, it sure is unfortunate that someone can sit on their acceptance until around May 1st without committing to being accepted. I hope there are some diligent people who if are planning on declining do so sooner than that so we can get this waitlist moving! :thinking:

May 1st? I thought you had to respond within a week of receiving the acceptance email.

Reactions: 1 user
May 1st? I thought you had to respond within a week of receiving the acceptance email.

Well the deposit is not asked for until mid April and I think they have until about the end of April to submit the $200 University Deposit. Meaning that an applicant isn't really financially committed to their acceptance until around that time.

Well the deposit is not asked for until mid April and I think they have until about the end of April to submit the $200 University Deposit. Meaning that an applicant isn't really financially committed to their acceptance until around that time.
Oh gotcha. Haha how do you know all this? I feel like I'm always in the dark lol

During the closing of my interview, Dr. Wilcox said that they ask for a University Deposit in April in the amount of $200

Does anyone know when we should hear back on financial aid? As much as I love Austin, I'm trying to debate whether or not it will be financially worth it to pay twice as much to attend Texas compared to UNC :/

I've applied to UT undergrad in the past (the financial aid office is the same as the CoP) and financial aid rewards do not come until June/July.

If those on the waitlist haven't heard back about your position on it, you can email Dr. Wilcox. Currently #3... hoping and praying I have a chance.

Does anyone know when we should hear back on financial aid? As much as I love Austin, I'm trying to debate whether or not it will be financially worth it to pay twice as much to attend Texas compared to UNC :/
Deadline is March 15 but the earlier you send in your FAFSA and whatnot, the earlier you will hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turns out I'm in position #2 on the waitlist. Jeez, this application process is going to keep me on the edge until the very end isn't it? Lol, I'm hoping for the best.

To those currently admitted, when and where do you do the background check and drug test and how much will it cost?

Turns out I'm in position #2 on the waitlist. Jeez, this application process is going to keep me on the edge until the very end isn't it? Lol, I'm hoping for the best.

To those currently admitted, when and where do you do the background check and drug test and how much will it cost?

we havent had any updates since we emailed confirming our seat

Since you are #2 on the waitlist, do you only need 2 people to drop to get in?

It depends....UT wants a class of 125 students and so I think they sent around 140 invitations with the expectation that around 15 will decline. So once declines make the class dip less than 125, people will be pulled from the waitlist.

Hey, guys, I have a favor to ask. At the interview, in the folder they gave us, there was a sheet in there about how to apply for FAFSA depending on if you will have a bachelor's or not. I forgot to bring that folder back with me for spring break, and I was wondering if anyone who has that sheet could maybe scan and post it here or something. I would really appreciate it, thanks!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1394388182.295608.jpg

Hey, guys, I have a favor to ask. At the interview, in the folder they gave us, there was a sheet in there about how to apply for FAFSA depending on if you will have a bachelor's or not. I forgot to bring that folder back with me for spring break, and I was wondering if anyone who has that sheet could maybe scan and post it here or something. I would really appreciate it, thanks!
can you fill out the form and submit it even if you haven't been accepted to UTCOP yet?

can you fill out the form and submit it even if you haven't been accepted to UTCOP yet?
I would, definitely not worth the risk. If you were accepted to a backup school, you'll have to complete it regardless. If not, who knows, you may still get in at UT.

Last edited:
I got in! Email received earlier! Absolutely cannot wait! Anyone know when we're to receive any physical materials of acceptance in the mail?

I got in! Email received earlier! Absolutely cannot wait! Anyone know when we're to receive any physical materials of acceptance in the mail?

It was probably my spot. Hope you enjoy it!

I also got in, was #3. Surprised at how quickly it happened! :)

I'm so glad it happened quickly. I was so worried that I'd have to wait until May to know my fate. Now I can look for apartments and plan my next 4 years!

I just got an email today explaining that in about 3 weeks, they will email us in regards to fulfillment of our pre req courses. It also stated that my paper acceptance letter was mailed out today, March 12th. It also had 4 attachments that the letter described as needing our immediate attention, but those attachments in the email for me are corrupt and do not work/open. Anyone else receive this email today or previously? Did your attachments work and what are they? I email back asking to resend the attachments, no response yet.

I just got an email today explaining that in about 3 weeks, they will email us in regards to fulfillment of our pre req courses. It also stated that my paper acceptance letter was mailed out today, March 12th. It also had 4 attachments that the letter described as needing our immediate attention, but those attachments in the email for me are corrupt and do not work/open. Anyone else receive this email today or previously? Did your attachments work and what are they? I email back asking to resend the attachments, no response yet.

I had the same issue. The files are supposed to be PDF files, but are missing the file name extension. Just download them, make file extensions visible, and add ".pdf" to the end of the filename. They should be able to be opened with Acrobat.

Anybody know how the pre reqs work for calculus? Is it either calc 1 & 2 or calc for the biosciences? All I've taken is calc for the biosciences at utsa

Anybody know how the pre reqs work for calculus? Is it either calc 1 & 2 or calc for the biosciences? All I've taken is calc for the biosciences at utsa

I emailed Mr Caldera about this issue last semester. It all depends on how the calculus course transfers to UT Austin. If you took calculus at a Texas school, use this link to determine the UT equivalent. These are the possible UT courses that will satisfy the UTCoP requirement:
  • M 408C
  • M 408K and M 408L
  • M 308N and M 308S
My courses at Baylor transfer as 308K and 308L, which he said count as equivalents of 408K and 408L. The important thing is pretty much that unless your course transfers with a "C' after it, you will need to take the following course offered at your school.
Another option, he said, is to appeal to admissions to accept your calculus course. This requires that the course syllabus be sent to them so that they may determine if the required integration topics were covered (listed here), along with a written statement from the teacher of the course.

I hope this helps. I ended up just having to take Calc II at my school after a 3+ year break from Calc I. Hopefully you wont have to squeeze in any summer classes!

Last edited:
Hey guys quick question the email they sent doesn't say anything about a seat deposit ..... Right? I'm just wondering if it's something we do separate or if they will notify us later on.... Thanks

They will ask for the seat deposit of $200 to be sent mid April. It'll most likely be due May 1st

Oh the silence!..... Anyone started looking for housing yet?

I'm trying to find a place as well. I have a potential roommate, if they get accepted as UT transfer undergrad, otherwise I'm looking for a 1 bedroom. My worry is that I don't want to wait too long to put down on a place because things are getting filled.

I'm looking for places now. Have you joined the Facebook group?
No I haven't joined the Facebook group yet. I keep forgetting to join. I will do so momentarily. What areas are you looking got apt? Right now I'm a good 20-30 min drive to campus. I'm thinking of moving closer

I'm trying to find a place as well. I have a potential roommate, if they get accepted as UT transfer undergrad, otherwise I'm looking for a 1 bedroom. My worry is that I don't want to wait too long to put down on a place because things are getting filled.
Hope the roommate thing works out. I don't intend on signing anything till early June. Cause that's when my current lease is up.

Hey can I have you all double check something for me? UTCoP doesn't require a speech class as a pre req right? I am taking one now because A&M and Houston required it, though now that I'm going to attend UT I want to drop the class but first I want to make extra sure that UT doesn't require it as well. Thanks

april-fools-day-banner.jpeg

notice how every time u refer to yourself in the first person it gets changed to "me"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey can I have you all double check something for me? UTCoP doesn't require a speech class as a pre req right? I am taking one now because A&M and Houston required it, though now that I'm going to attend UT I want to drop the class but first I want to make extra sure that UT doesn't require it as well. Thanks
No, UT doesn't require speech class.

hey guys! did UT say they would contact us to let us knw abt our pre reqs? the reason i ask is because I'm not sure if I'm going to need to take calculus 2 or not... and the sooner i knw the better...anyone else av d same issue?

Ms. Spencer said hopefully by the end of this week, she'll let us know about pee reqs.

How much financial aid is usually available per semester for a Graduate student with financial need at the UTCoP?