University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine showed up pretty quickly, but most of my classes were already taken at UT and my other transcripts came from Austin and Fort Worth. If you're sending yours in from schools that are further away (esp. out of state), I'm sure it takes a little longer. You might want to check with your sending insitution or UT just to be sure though.

Arghhh, The status page still shows that 2 of my transcripts are needed. I live in San Antonio so it's not far from Austin at all. I don't want to dish out more money to re-request my transcripts to be sent. I'm trying to be very patient

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if UT for sure doesn't do rolling admissions? I'm super paranoid about it. I am finished with my app but want to wait until December 'cause I'm waiting for a couple of job offers I got that would look really good on my resume. I won't be hearing from them 'till December...Really worried I'm waiting too long!

When I met with Greg Caldera (the UT Austin Pharmacy adviser) over the summer, he said that UT used to do rolling admissions but they will not be for Fall 2011.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this may be a dumb question but I was finishing up my expanded resume and my husband stated that I should include the Susan G Komen race I did about 3 years ago. I raised money and participated in the race. He, also, stated that I should include the fact that I had 11 inches of my hair cut off and donated it so it could be used to make wigs for cancer patients. I didn't think to list these as an EC but my husband says I should. Any opinions?

Velvet, if I were you, I would write it. Just something the committee can understand more about you. After all, you are trying to be "stood out" right?

Hey everyone, I just decide applying for UT. I'm confused about how many letters of recommendation I need to send? ApplyTexas asked for 3, the UT link asked for 2.

Also, how many essays are there to write? The ApplyTexas said "
it must be no longer than 120 eighty-character lines of text (including spaces and blank lines)" .It seems like a lot more than other school- almost 2.5 pages single space! And there's also a 400 words essay.
I emailed the advisor, but hope you guys can tell me. Thanks

Last edited:
Velvet, if I were you, I would write it. Just something the committee can understand more about you. After all, you are trying to be "stood out" right?

Hey everyone, I just decide applying for UT. I'm confused about how many letters of recommendation I need to send? ApplyTexas asked for 3, the UT link asked for 2.

Also, how many essays are there to write? The ApplyTexas said "
it must be no longer than 120 eighty-character lines of text (including spaces and blank lines)" .It seems like a lot more than other school- almost 2.5 pages single space! And there's also a 400 words essay.
I emailed the advisor, but hope you guys can tell me. Thanks

UT has two applications and both of which you need to fill out - 1) The ApplyTexas application is viewed by the university admissions committee to determine whether or not you're accepted into undergrad. 2) The Pharmacy School application which consists of two 400 word essays. I've heard that the Pharmacy School adcom does not view the ApplyTexas essays.

I'm glad that I did not have to write essays for readmission into UT. Not sure how I would make the essays different!

I heard Ut-Austin also calculates the GPA by the school you had the most units, i went to 5 different schools, so can anyone put insight in this?

Oops sorry for the late reply. Yes that is true for the cumulative GPA. I've attended about 5 different schools as well and the adviser told me exactly what you said. I have the most credits from UT Austin by far so my coursework from there is what they're going to use.

They also calculate a prerequisite courses GPA which can be scatted across various schools. Mine sure are.

Thanks Longhorn for the reply.
I was able to get in touch with which apps I need to do. It's just weird that I have to do 2 essays for ApplyTexas and another one for Pharm school. I try not to be a broken record repeating information in the essays. Who knows which one they will actually look at?

Thanks Longhorn for the reply.
I was able to get in touch with which apps I need to do. It's just weird that I have to do 2 essays for ApplyTexas and another one for Pharm school. I try not to be a broken record repeating information in the essays. Who knows which one they will actually look at?

The adcom won't even see your applyTexas application. I wouldn't copy/paste, but don't make much of an effort to change it up if you don't want to.

Yeah. I am beginning to think of how boring it is to write these essays with similar content *_*

Hi, I submitted my application about 10 days ago.

1. My references did not get any email or any contact. How long does it take?

2. When do they invite?

Thanks!

2. When do they invite?

Thanks!

Both of my references were emailed within 2 days of my submission, but I had everything else on the app submitted before I entered their email addresses.... have you finished all other portions of the app yet?
UT typically interviews in February is what I have gathered.

2. When do they invite?

Thanks!

One of my recommenders has not received any email from UT as well and I have already put in a request twice. Anyone else have this problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my recommenders has not received any email from UT as well and I have already put in a request twice. Anyone else have this problem?

The email is sent immediately. Did they check their spam inbox?

The email is sent immediately. Did they check their spam inbox?

Yea, I know it's received immediately because my other recommender received hers right away & submitted already.

And I'm pretty sure my second recommender would know to check her spam inbox but I guess it doesn't hurt to remind her.

No problems here. They both received the requested immediately. I had requested the recommendations prior to completing the application so they're not related.

Some people do forget to check their junk mail and if it's a hospital or corporate e-mail address, sometimes the organization completely filters out e-mails that may be suspicious so it never reaches the destination.

Did anyone's PCAT status change for UT Pharm D. Application? Mine still says "Need required PCAT scores" and it has been a while since the October 2010 PCAT score came out.

Did anyone's PCAT status change for UT Pharm D. Application? Mine still says "Need required PCAT scores" and it has been a while since the October 2010 PCAT score came out.

Mine says it was received on 11/23. I took the October PCAT as well.

My PCAT scores were received 11/23 also. You can try calling them to see if it has been received in the office.

Thank you all for your replies.
One of my references seems not to check his email often. I will requst again if it's possible.
I submitted everything. Things left are this semester's transcripts and references.

Do you know anyone who took all prerequiste classes at community colleges and was accepted?
Here is my stat:

foreign BE, MA degrees
GPA 4.0 (with all prerequiste classes + A&P + Molecular biotechnology(next spring)) with no upper sicence class
PCAT composite 92%
volunteer experience at a hospital pharmacy since September

Professors I took classes from say I have a good chance to have interview but every student who is applying this cycle is scared of applying UT. I have no clue...:scared:

I tried to request again, but the system doesn't let me do it.

Yay! UT has finally received all my transcripts after I requested them over 2 months ago to be mailed to them:thumbup:

Is anybody else applying to this school? How long after I apply to the univeristy will I get a word whether I am accepted and can proceed to apply to the school of pharmacy??

Is anybody else applying to this school? How long after I apply to the univeristy will I get a word whether I am accepted and can proceed to apply to the school of pharmacy??

You mean applying to undergraduate as a transfer student? It takes about one day (takes longer during weekend). They will send you an email when they allow you apply for pharmacy school.

I can't find the link but there is UT thread here.

I currently go to UT for undergrad Prepharm, I'm almost done with the application...

good luck to everybody else!

If we currently go to UT, they can just access our transcript right?

I couldnt find it either. I found one from last year but didnt see one for this year. Anyways, thanks for your response. :)

After reading all these posts, now I am really questioning if I should apply to this school. My GPA is mediocre ~3.25 and my PCAT is 62 (bio and chem are ok, both in 80s). I have a BS in microbiology, 1 yr of pharmacy work experience, been certified for 3.5 years. Volunteer experience?? Some -- lab assistant ~36 hrs and tutor (have 1hr appointments every monday and wednesday). Do I even have a chance??????????

After reading all these posts, now I am really questioning if I should apply to this school. My GPA is mediocre ~3.25 and my PCAT is 62 (bio and chem are ok, both in 80s). I have a BS in microbiology, 1 yr of pharmacy work experience, been certified for 3.5 years. Volunteer experience?? Some -- lab assistant ~36 hrs and tutor (have 1hr appointments every monday and wednesday). Do I even have a chance??????????

I would say yes. Based on what I've seen, I'd think you'd get an interview.

Hey guys! I just joined this network. Seems like a lot of helpful people are on here to answer questions, which is great! I've applied to UT as well! Now the long wait begins.

I'm sure these questions probably get annoying, but if there are any current UT pharmacy students out there, I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
I was wondering how my chances looked:

I'm currently in my second year of undergrad. I'll have all the pre-reqs obviously completed by the end of Spring 2011

Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Pharm GPA: 4.0
PCAT composite: 74

I've been volunteering in a hospital pharmacy since September once a week, every week. Both my letters of rec will be from pharmacists.

Anyway, that's all the "big" stuff. The rest is just details. So how's it looking?

Good luck to the rest of you guys that have applied!! :)

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just joined this network. Seems like a lot of helpful people are on here to answer questions, which is great! I've applied to UT as well! Now the long wait begins.

I'm sure these questions probably get annoying, but if there are any current UT pharmacy students out there, I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
I was wondering how my chances looked:

I'm currently in my second year of undergrad. I'll have all the pre-reqs obviously completed by the end of Spring 2011

Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Pharm GPA: 4.0
PCAT composite: 74

I've been volunteering in a hospital pharmacy since September once a week, every week. Both my letters of rec will be from pharmacists.

Anyway, that's all the "big" stuff. The rest is just details. So how's it looking?

Good luck to the rest of you guys that have applied!! :)

I think you have a very good chance. Which school are you currently attending for undergrad?

I think you have a very good chance. Which school are you currently attending for undergrad?

I wasn't sure if being younger would count against me. I did my first year (last year) at UT Austin, but right now I'm at Tech. Long story to explain that one, but I'm really missing the 40 acres!

I still haven't submitted my app because I'm still searching for a technician job to put on my resume! Everything else on my app looks really good though...

Is it bad that I'm waiting until next week to submit it!? As in, even if it's towards the very end of the app, will they see it and think I was a procrastinator or something??

Last edited:
I still haven't submitted my app because I'm still searching for a technician job to put on my resume! Everything else on my app looks really good though...

Is it bad that I'm waiting until next week to submit it!? As in, even if it's towards the very end of the app, will they see it and think I was a procrastinator or something??

I would think the earlier you submit your application the better. UT still requires you to write down your job duties, dates worked, and how many hours a week. Instead, you can write on your resume that you are in process of searching for a technician job and are/will be PTCB certified.

I wasn't sure if being younger would count against me. I did my first year (last year) at UT Austin, but right now I'm at Tech. Long story to explain that one, but I'm really missing the 40 acres!

Your age shouldn't count against you. I know someone who was admitted to the UT Pharmacy School during her second year in college. Your stats are impressive, and I think you'll be fine. Just work on those interview skills!

And yes I miss the 40 acres as well.

Longhorn at heart: UT doesn't do rolling admissions anymore, though. That is the only reason why I've been waiting (I finished the rest of my app in August!! So it sucks that I've waited so long just looking for a job).

And luckily I'm certified at least.

Longhorn at heart: UT doesn't do rolling admissions anymore, though. That is the only reason why I've been waiting (I finished the rest of my app in August!! So it sucks that I've waited so long just looking for a job).

And luckily I'm certified at least.

I am fully aware UT no longer does rolling admissions. My advice is simply not to wait until the last minute and to make a note on your resume that you are PTCB certified and have been looking for employment. I was informed that they are reviewing applications over winter break.

I have a question:

Does UT accept transcripts that are mailed in a official sealed envelope by a student? My grades were posted late and the college wont open back till the 3rd. The deadline is the 6th and I was wondering if it is possible, I can obtain the copy and send it in via Express mail next week on 3rd...:confused::confused:

I am so freaked out. The transcripts are the only things that need to be in

I have a question:

Does UT accept transcripts that are mailed in a official sealed envelope by a student? My grades were posted late and the college wont open back till the 3rd. The deadline is the 6th and I was wondering if it is possible, I can obtain the copy and send it in via Express mail next week on 3rd...:confused::confused:

Man I'm wondering the same thing...I requested transcripts from the CC that i am retaking some pre-reqs at to send out transcripts to UT about a week ago. The transcript won't include the 2 classes I took this Fall semester. Technically, my pre-reqs are all complete...I'm just retaking some pre-reqs I scored a C in. I'm wondering if they will still review my app if they do not get the transcript from the CC by the deadline.

I have a question:

I think the best thing to do is to call the UT Pharmacy School, explain your situation, and ask how they want it to be addressed.

During the P4 year, students do clinical rotations at their assigned experiential site. Do they still have to go back to UT Austin campus for any meetings, advising, lectures, or other things? Just wondering if most people get a new place in the city of their rotations or if they maintain a place in Austin as well.

Also, someone told me that last year 90% of the students were matched to their top choice. Does anyone know what the stats were like from previous years?

My main concern about attending UT Austin Pharmacy School (that is if they accept me) is knowing that I have to move again after 3 years and the uncertainty of where I'll wind up. Though it would be awesome to live in Austin again even if it were for a short amount of time.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my questions. Thanks!

During the P4 year, students do clinical rotations at their assigned experiential site. Do they still have to go back to UT Austin campus for any meetings, advising, lectures, or other things? Just wondering if most people get a new place in the city of their rotations or if they maintain a place in Austin as well.

Also, someone told me that last year 90% of the students were matched to their top choice. Does anyone know what the stats were like from previous years?

My main concern about attending UT Austin Pharmacy School (that is if they accept me) is knowing that I have to move again after 3 years and the uncertainty of where I'll wind up. Though it would be awesome to live in Austin again even if it were for a short amount of time.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my questions. Thanks!

Of the few people I already know in the program, they got their top choices. It just depends on the wants of the class though. They might have just happened to have the right balance of people wanting to go to different places. One thing to take note of... even if you choose Austin for your 4th year and get picked for it, "Austin" includes the a large area around the city. I know a girl who had to drive from Austin to Temple, TX every for one of her sites.

It does suck not knowing where you'll be three years from now, but if I remember correctly I think you find out your site location your second year, so you have some time to plan if you do end up needing to move again.

Of the few people I already know in the program, they got their top choices. It just depends on the wants of the class though. They might have just happened to have the right balance of people wanting to go to different places. One thing to take note of... even if you choose Austin for your 4th year and get picked for it, "Austin" includes the a large area around the city. I know a girl who had to drive from Austin to Temple, TX every for one of her sites.

It does suck not knowing where you'll be three years from now, but if I remember correctly I think you find out your site location your second year, so you have some time to plan if you do end up needing to move again.

The people I know in the school got their top choice as well. They said they ranked their rotation sites from 1-4 and a computer matched them up. I think they found out at the end of their P1 year where they were going.

Here's a link to the experiential program regions: http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/general/experiential/#location. Sounds like we relocate and don't come back except for graduation.

I had a question regarding fall transcript as well. I had mine mailed in Dec 17th but my status check still says it hasn't been received. Should I assume they are just behind in updating the site? I tried calling the undergraduate admissions office today and the office is still closed for the holiday. I'm in the same boat as a couple of you guys!! Everything else is finished, just waiting for them to get my transcripts...

I had a question regarding fall transcript as well. I had mine mailed in Dec 17th but my status check still says it hasn't been received. Should I assume they are just behind in updating the site? I tried calling the undergraduate admissions office today and the office is still closed for the holiday. I'm in the same boat as a couple of you guys!! Everything else is finished, just waiting for them to get my transcripts...

That's what I'd assume but that hasn't stopped me from checking my application status daily!