University of Texas CoP Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACE Rx

Super Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UT-Austin Pharmacy this application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall, I'm a current student. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying this year. I have question about the essay Why UT? What the school expect us to write in this essay? Just some thoughts about its facts or appeal?

Take the essay sections of the PharmD application as an opportunity to really talk about yourself, experience, etc. During the interview this is where a majority of the questions will come from, that aren't part of the standard set. However, the essays for the applytexas I do not believe are ever even looked at. Good Luck all!

Hey yall, I'm a current student. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.
Hey, I'm currently applying and trying to get my class schedule finalize because I will have to finish classes in the spring but I can't get ahold of the advisor to answer my question. Maybe you can help.

On the website it states that a foreign language is needed. Either 2 years of high school foreign language or 2 semesters of college foreign language. Well, I have 1 year of high school foreign language, so does that mean I only need 1 more semester of college foreign language or must I still complete 2 total?

If that is beyond your pay grade, can I ask how I can get ahold of someone to ask? I've emailed the advisor twice and left 2 voice mails in the last 2 weeks and nothing.

Thanks for your time.

This is definitely a better question for an advisor. It sounds like you probably have it right, but I can't really speak to this issue. I will say that advisors can be difficult to get ahold of around the end of the semesters/over break. If you are trying to contact Greg Caldera (the pharmacy advisor) I would keep trying, hes a good guy and has always gotten back to me quickly. If you haven't tried contacting him I would.

I figured as much, but I've emailed and called more than once and no luck. Is there anyone else there that might be able to give me an answer?

Thanks for the response!

The college of nat'l sciences health professions office does advising for pre-pharmacy students, their number is 512-471-3172. Ann Spencer with the COP handles alot of course equivalency issues and does some advising as well.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

I already started my application for UT and now im having second thoughts on applying. I made a 77 on the pcat and have a 3.2 gpa. I know that there are alot of factors that go into the application but Im still not sure. Should I spend the money applying there or not?

I already started my application for UT and now im having second thoughts on applying. I made a 77 on the pcat and have a 3.2 gpa. I know that there are alot of factors that go into the application but Im still not sure. Should I spend the money applying there or not?
Short answer is yes.

Don't worry about your PCAT score at all, it is among UTCOP's lowest priorities in consideration (I've heard this straight form the dean of admissions multiple times). The avg for our incoming class was 80% composite - your score is practically equivalent, and if you have one or two "good" subsections in your score report, it could possibly help you. ~50 students in my class scored 79% or lower on their PCAT; about 40% of the class had similar PCAT scores, or worse.

Your gpa isn't anything to worry about too much either. It won't help you, but there were about ~20 students in my class with incoming gpa 3.25 or lower, so about 16% of my class was of about similar "stats". You certainly possess "acceptable stats" if that is what you are asking.

What is much more important however are the resume-type items in your application. Do you have "good" pharmacy experience? I have seen applicants with 90+ PCAT and 3.7+ gpa get turned away for lack of experience. UTCOP takes it very seriously. UTCOP also looks for "good" volunteer work, and thoughtful essays. I put ALOT (months) of effort in my essays as did my classmates; don't blow them off. Especially the "Why Pharmacy" essay. If you have some quality pharmacy experience/volunteering I would say you have a chance for sure, especially if you nail the essays.

All of the statistics I used came directly from the UTCOP website, here are the links for more information:

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/admissionsfall11.pdf

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/admissionsreport2011.pdf

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats.html

I'm submitting my application tommorrow.
I am a little worried about the Letters of Rec, I have 4, but the online system only appears to allow me to submit 2. I have two additional, and great, pharmacists wanting to write me letters, but I have no idea if I can add them, or if I should simply hand deliver them sealed to the office. (And I'm running out of time to reasonably ask them to still write them)

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted four letters w no problems. You can submit an addendum to your app w additional letters, updated resume, a cover letter or whatever you want etc to the office even after your interview. At least they allowed it last cycle...

Did you send them in physically in sealed envelopes or electronically as additional L(s)oR?
Because whenever I go to the online system, it seems as though submitting two additional, will actually overwrite the original two.

I emailed Dr. Wilcox and the Admissions Director for the university asking about it, but so far I've gotten no responce (They are probably busy as all heck right now)

Last edited:
I submitted two online LORS (or rather, the recommenders submitted them via email to the system etc..) I ALSO handed in (to the office on the 5th floor) A labeled manila envelope with a cover letter (essentially a personal statement type composition in essay form) two extra LORS, and an updated resume. I was told upon receipt of the folder that it would be included in my application pkg.

I just finished my application and I'm very nervous, relieved, excited and anxious!! Good luck to all of you, sort of ;)

wmv, when did you turn in these additional letters? And how much do you think additional letters would help?

I finally turned in all the essays, but am still trying to fill in a resume. I have plenty pharmacy experience, 10+ years, but not much else because of work+school for quite a while.

I selected the very first interview on the very first day (do this if you can), so I had some time after my interview before the admissions committee met (~1 month if I remember correctly). It was during this time I submitted the addendum.

No way to know really about how much they help, I assume they would help. But I doubt you get 'more' points with the adcom by submitting add'l LORs, perhaps they only review two and select the best two. I didn't ask. My 4 LORs were from a pharmacy manager, a research supervisor, an anatomy/physiology professor, and a manager at the restaurant I worked at for ~2 years. The addendum contained the pharmacist LOR & the restaurant manager LOR.

It seems from my class members that this last cycle the adcom tended to favor applicants with extensive pharm exp, but thats no surprise really. There are also several in my class with very little pharm experience (myself included). It doesn't really do much to speculate I suppose. If you have over 10+ years pharm exp (and your stats are acceptable/you have a good interview) I would be surprised if I didn't see you around next year.

I'm really hoping that I'm in the same boat. My stats aren't anything particularly phenomenal.
My GPA is a bit below average, though my PCAT is excellent.
I am sitting nicely on many years of tech experience.
I have excellent LoRs from two pharmacy managers, and two pharmacists.

But I've worked part-time/full-time every semester and every break respectively. So my volunteer work is limited severely. I also am a member of the LPPA, but due to schedule conflicts, I've done one volunteer event and paid my dues, not even close to "active" as Dr. Wilcox and the LPPA staff rate it.

I do have some research experience, and next semester I'm doing research for credit on something pharmaceuticaly relevant in mol bio.

I don't know. I'm taking a risk by only applying to UT Austin, but this is really the only school I want to go to. I bleed orange, and not because of our football team. I just love this university and this city. :love:

Last edited:
You would not know unless you applied, right? Remain optimistic and hope for the best.

I had a rough start at UT back in 2002-2005, so my transfer application is taking longer than expected since it requires the Dean's approval. It would be great to return to Austin and finish where I left off.

Good luck to you all!

How long does it take before we hear back for interviews?

From what I've heard we can expect to hear something towards the end of february and early march.

I have been waiting for my undergraduate transfer to be accepted prior to completing the pharm.d application. I tried looking on the website, but it says the deadline is January 6.

Logged on to the pharm.d application and it says: The deadline for submitting your pharmacy application has passed.

I wonder if I still have a chance to apply. Further investigation shows that there are no exceptions to the January 6 deadline.

Your thoughts? Looks like I will have to call on Monday :(

Last edited:
First off there are people who got in and were still submitting some of the required documentation, transcripts etc. So don't let that discourage you. However if you were not able to even start on the PharmD application, then you may have waited too long before applying. Call or email Dr. Wilcox he will be your best bet.

UT really surprised me last year by getting out the responses for interview fairly quick. So best of luck to everybody, hopefully you will hear from them soon!

Also just some quick input on the letter of rec. stuff. It is my understanding you can send out the electronic requests and have as many LORs completed as you would like but they only look at the first 2. You can email Dr. Wilcox and let him know if you would like an additional LOR looked at and why. In my case it was because my 3rd LOR was from a pharmacist, which UT prefers. But regardless if you have an additional LOR make sure to contact the admissions office about it.

My stats are in my signature so you can see that UT really does accept all type of applicants. I did not have a 4.0 or a perfect score on my PCAT.

And on last piece of advice really check out the interview questions on this site. They were the BIGGEST help to me last year. If they have asked the question for the last 5 years, you can bet they will ask it again.

Good Luck all!!

I have been waiting for my undergraduate transfer to be accepted prior to completing the pharm.d application. I tried looking on the website, but it says the deadline is January 6.

Logged on to the pharm.d application and it says: The deadline for submitting your pharmacy application has passed.

I wonder if I still have a chance to apply. Further investigation shows that there are no exceptions to the January 6 deadline.

Your thoughts? Looks like I will have to call on Monday :(

This may sound harsh and I do not mean to be rude but you assume the risk of just applying right before the deadline and hope nothing goes wrong. Your undergraduate transfer application only has to be submitted (not accepted) for you to be able to apply for the Pharm. D program as stated on the UT-Pharmacy website.

This was even stated on the Pharm. D application website: "The Office of Admissions will not process applications received after the January 6 application deadline. There are no exceptions to this rule."

You may have waited too long but go ahead and email Dr. Wilcox and see what he says.

My undergrad app still say incomplete as well. Seems the essays you have to submit from apply texas take a while to upload, but as long as they see that they were submitted prior to the deadline I should be good.

Thanks for the advice wmv, lets hope you are right. :)

sdyakhin, thanks for the heads up on the interview questions, I will search for them. Are they school specific or just a generalized idea of what every school could ask?

This may sound harsh and I do not mean to be rude but you assume the risk of just applying right before the deadline and hope nothing goes wrong. Your undergraduate transfer application only has to be submitted (not accepted) for you to be able to apply for the Pharm. D program as stated on the UT-Pharmacy website.

This was even stated on the Pharm. D application website: "The Office of Admissions will not process applications received after the January 6 application deadline. There are no exceptions to this rule."

You may have waited too long but go ahead and email Dr. Wilcox and see what he says.

I was completely unaware that the Pharm.D application could have been completed during this time. That was a mistake on my part.

I was able to receive readmission after contacting the college of engineering. I have done as you have mentioned, and emailed Dr. Wilcox to see if there is anything I can do at this point.

I sincerely thank you for your input. It is neither harsh nor rude, as I take responsibility for my own actions.

Best of luck to everyone with your applications and interviews.

Thank you, again!

Dr. Wilcox said no :(. Best of wishes to everyone applying here!

Hello everyone! Does anyone know when we will be contacted for interviews?

Also, what criteria does the adcom use to select interviewees?

Given that UT-pharmacy is one of the top 5 programs in the nation, I'm wondering if I even have a chance to get in.

Overall GPA- 3.41
Pre-req GPA- 3.00

PCAT Composite- 83
Reading Comp.- 65
Verbal- 77
Quant. Ability- 47 (ouch!)
Biology- 91
Chemistry- 91

About a year of pharmacy experience.
Pharm. Tech. Certified.

Honest opinions?

I think you do. You don't need to worry much about PCAT. You have practical experience in retail pharmacy so it is a plus for you and trust me ... it'll help you a lot in interview if you'll get an offer. Good luck

Given that UT-pharmacy is one of the top 5 programs in the nation, I'm wondering if I even have a chance to get in.

Overall GPA- 3.41
Pre-req GPA- 3.00

PCAT Composite- 83
Reading Comp.- 65
Verbal- 77
Quant. Ability- 47 (ouch!)
Biology- 91
Chemistry- 91

About a year of pharmacy experience.
Pharm. Tech. Certified.

Honest opinions?

You definitely have a chance at getting an interview. Once you do get an interview, it all comes down to how you present yourself. Good luck!

The PCAT is the least weighted item they consider, the heaviest is experience and LoR from professionals. I'd say you have a pretty good chance. keep your spirits high, pray and wait. :)

The interview is the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Anyone applying to UTCOP who isn't attending UT? Is Cal II required for UTCOP? I heard the calculus at UT is Cal I&II combined. :(

Anyone applying to UTCOP who isn't attending UT? Is Cal II required for UTCOP? I heard the calculus at UT is Cal I&II combined. :(
Calc 2 is definitely a requirement. I emailed the school, and tyhe said it was needsd BUT sent a list of topics, and if you can prove that your calc 1 class hit those topics by sending the syllabus and a letter from your professor, they could waive the requirement. They do it on a case by case basis. Hope this helps!

Calc 2 is definitely a requirement. I emailed the school, and tyhe said it was needsd BUT sent a list of topics, and if you can prove that your calc 1 class hit those topics by sending the syllabus and a letter from your professor, they could waive the requirement. They do it on a case by case basis. Hope this helps!

what e-mail did you use? I've been trying to get in contact with Greg; however, he has not replied to any of my e-mails.

[email protected] That is the one they told me from the admissions office to send it to. I believe I sent 2 emails because he did not respond to the first..... i posted the reply under....

Overall, you will need to complete both Calculus 1 & 2 from your school.

At UT Austin, we have a 3-hr accelerated calculus course that takes in both differential and integration calculus content. That is why we require at least 3-hrs of calculus based on the content we need. This particular course works for them.

If your Calculus I course covers the differential and introductory integral background we need, then the specific course you took for calculus I could satisfy our requirement.
You would need to appeal with our Asst. Dean of Admissions (Dr. Rich [email protected]). You would need to provide the specific syllabus you used for the course.

The introductory integral content we need should ask the following questions:
Did your course cover the following:
a] Fundamental theorem of the calculus?
b] Integration formulas?
c] Intermediate value theorem?
d] Theory of the integral such as Riemann sums and integrating continuous functions?
e] Applications of the integral - areas, volumes, work, approximations by the trapezoidal rule and by Simpson's rule
f] Integration in relation to logs?
g] Trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions?

If you can answer these questions or your instructor thinks the course covered this content, then I would recommend appealing to Dr. Wilcox your calculus I course. You could be exempt from Calculus II.

We have to take these on a case-by-case basis.

Anyone get an interview invite yet? I've been refreshing my email constantly!

[email protected] That is the one they told me from the admissions office to send it to. I believe I sent 2 emails because he did not respond to the first..... i posted the reply under....

Overall, you will need to complete both Calculus 1 & 2 from your school.

At UT Austin, we have a 3-hr accelerated calculus course that takes in both differential and integration calculus content. That is why we require at least 3-hrs of calculus based on the content we need. This particular course works for them.

If your Calculus I course covers the differential and introductory integral background we need, then the specific course you took for calculus I could satisfy our requirement.
You would need to appeal with our Asst. Dean of Admissions (Dr. Rich [email protected]). You would need to provide the specific syllabus you used for the course.

The introductory integral content we need should ask the following questions:
Did your course cover the following:
a] Fundamental theorem of the calculus?
b] Integration formulas?
c] Intermediate value theorem?
d] Theory of the integral such as Riemann sums and integrating continuous functions?
e] Applications of the integral - areas, volumes, work, approximations by the trapezoidal rule and by Simpson's rule
f] Integration in relation to logs?
g] Trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions?

If you can answer these questions or your instructor thinks the course covered this content, then I would recommend appealing to Dr. Wilcox your calculus I course. You could be exempt from Calculus II.

We have to take these on a case-by-case basis.

we didn't cover all the topics in cal I :(

we didn't cover all the topics in cal I :(

Don't worry, if you are accepted to UTCOP I believe you have until August to complete all the prereqs. There are a couple things you can do:

1. Take Calculus II this summer at a community college. Here is a link to UT's equivalency guide for universities/colleges in Texas:

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/students/advising/equivs/equiv.html

2. Get a Calculus book (you can get them for like 5 bucks online or at Half Price Books). Study the stuff your Calculus class didn't cover and take the CLEP exam. If you pass that you will get credit for UT's M 408C.

If you decide to study on your own, and need some help, drop me a line. Good luck!

Don't worry, if you are accepted to UTCOP I believe you have until August to complete all the prereqs. There are a couple things you can do:

1. Take Calculus II this summer at a community college. Here is a link to UT's equivalency guide for universities/colleges in Texas:

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/students/advising/equivs/equiv.html

2. Get a Calculus book (you can get them for like 5 bucks online or at Half Price Books). Study the stuff your Calculus class didn't cover and take the CLEP exam. If you pass that you will get credit for UT's M 408C.

If you decide to study on your own, and need some help, drop me a line. Good luck!

Thanks!

I don't know about the summer recommendation- :-\ I believe the COP requires that your math and science pre-reqs need to be finished by the end of the spring semester- Definitely call and check while you are still in your window for adding classes to your courseload (or signing up for a second start class if you're attending a community college). I'm a UH student, and I applied already but am taking a huge courseload of math/science pre-reqs to make sure I meet the spring deadline.
Let me know if I'm wrong-
Good luck-

I don't know about the summer recommendation- :-\ I believe the COP requires that your math and science pre-reqs need to be finished by the end of the spring semester- Definitely call and check while you are still in your window for adding classes to your courseload (or signing up for a second start class if you're attending a community college). I'm a UH student, and I applied already but am taking a huge courseload of math/science pre-reqs to make sure I meet the spring deadline.
Let me know if I'm wrong-
Good luck-
I agree, if you have not completed prereqs and can still register this semester, do it--I figure that goes without saying.

In any event, the UT pharmacy website states: "Updated official transcripts showing any additional completed coursework, including any remaining prerequisite coursework, must arrive in the Office of Admissions by August 15." I can't imagine that UT would not accept coursework completed after the Spring semester but before the August 15th deadline for transcripts. It's always best to check with an advisor to be sure, of course.

I agree, if you have not completed prereqs and can still register this semester, do it--I figure that goes without saying.

In any event, the UT pharmacy website states: "Updated official transcripts showing any additional completed coursework, including any remaining prerequisite coursework, must arrive in the Office of Admissions by August 15." I can't imagine that UT would not accept coursework completed after the Spring semester but before the August 15th deadline for transcripts. It's always best to check with an advisor to be sure, of course.

Ohhh! No, I didn't mean that they wouldn't accept it period- I was just unsure whether or not they would accept it (calc 2 credit), and approve your application, if you didn't get the credit for the class prior to the end of the spring semester. Most COP's want all math and science stuff done by the end of the spring prior to the fall start that you're applying for... Sorry for the confusion ha ha-

hey everyone, also wanted to know if youve heard back yet. I submitted my fall transcript super late, but my application really early, like in early october. i wanted to know if you guys think i have a chance to get in, even with an average interview

pcat : 83
gpa : 3.6
math/science gpa : 3.5

technician for 3 months
research volunteer for over a year

thanks! :)

hey everyone, also wanted to know if youve heard back yet. I submitted my fall transcript super late, but my application really early, like in early october. i wanted to know if you guys think i have a chance to get in, even with an average interview

pcat : 83
gpa : 3.6
math/science gpa : 3.5

technician for 3 months
research volunteer for over a year

thanks! :)

You have no chance at all. You might as well come up with a plan D with those kinds of stats. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, you have a good chance at getting an interview but a mediocre interview won't cut it. I have heard stories of people with 4.0 GPA and 99 PCATs that were discreetly rejected because they either thought there was no way they wouldn't get accepted and thus displaying mediocre interview skills or cannot communicate on a professional level on why they want to be here.

haha well i have gotten into other schools, and so im guessing i did a decent job in my interviews, the only thing is that I've heard that UT is very hard in terms of their interview process. is this true?