University of Texas CoP Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! I was pulling for ya! I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone on here. Now... if we could just get that facebook group going....

Members don't see this ad :)
two things:

1. saying to not go downtown for Texas Relays, specifically, makes you sound like a racist. if you don't think they should go downtown during Relays, they shouldn't go downtown during any festival, especially SXSW, because it's just as busy.

2. the Salt Lick isn't in Lockhart; it's near Dripping Springs, in Driftwood. and you don't get steak there -- they don't even *serve* steak. they serve barbeque'd beef, pork, and turkey, including some pretty good brisket. the food's good but rarely worth the drive. check out Franklin's if you want "the best" brisket in America (caution: the wait is a pain, but it's close to downtown and it's fun to bring a 24 pack and have a tailgate while waiting in line at 10 in the morning); alternatively, check out the soon-to-be-re-opened J. Mueller's that'll be on the east side. alternatively, head to Lockhart for some ridiculously high quality brisket from any of the local shops downtown (++ Kreuz).

also, HomeSlice is great, but check out some of the other local shops for great pies -- Via 313 is hands down my favorite in town, and House Pizzeria is great with some inventive toppings.

procrastinating during p1 finals. I agree with all of this. also house pizzeria is the best.

hi current P1-4,

Any suggestion for a good laser printer or something that saves ink cartridge cost on the long run? In your experience, is it necessary to have a color printer? What kind of materials you often print from the P1 course work? powerpoint slides? books? homework?

For those of you that have applied for financial aid have you heard back yet? I applied back in march but I completely forgot to check the status of it... Its not even showing recieved in CASH on UTdirect.

Kind of freaking out now lol. Am I screwed? FAFSA doesn't show any issues so I wonder if its something with UT's system. Had issues with my UT ID when I was signing up for interview times so perhaps this is somehow related with my ID.

hi current P1-4,

Any suggestion for a good laser printer or something that saves ink cartridge cost on the long run? In your experience, is it necessary to have a color printer? What kind of materials you often print from the P1 course work? powerpoint slides? books? homework?

Color or not?

Color is not necessary, went the whole year without needing anything in color.

Laser Printers

Got a $99 samsung all in one wireless printer from amazon, there is also a brother printer for around the same price. Pleeeeease get one that is able to duplex, it saves you a lot of paper, some people even buy pre hole punched paper (time savings). I replaced my toner once the whole year and I print like crazy, cost me $60 on amazon, and it is still going. If I were you, start looking around, research printers, toner costs and other things you need to replace. Samsung printers do not require you to replace the drum, but brother printers do, so that is an additional cost.

What will you print

Majority of classes require you to print out the lecture notes (powerpoint), but biochem and medchem print them out for you.

Homework

There is no homework in your Fall P1 year, and in spring your classes have online submissions.

Advice

Take advantage of the mentor/mentee program, and be as detailed as possible in the survey. Some of us pharmacy students are weird (myself included) and you get the best out of relationships when you click with the other person.

Good luck! Enjoy your freedom, and don't let anyone psyche you out. Your grade is what you put in.

For those of you that have applied for financial aid have you heard back yet? I applied back in march but I completely forgot to check the status of it... Its not even showing recieved in CASH on UTdirect.

Kind of freaking out now lol. Am I screwed? FAFSA doesn't show any issues so I wonder if its something with UT's system. Had issues with my UT ID when I was signing up for interview times so perhaps this is somehow related with my ID.

It was late last year too, they should be just getting to it right about ...................................................................................................
................ Now!

Color or not?

Laser Printers

Got a $99 samsung all in one wireless printer from amazon, there is also a brother printer for around the same price. Pleeeeease get one that is able to duplex, it saves you a lot of paper, some people even buy pre hole punched paper (time savings). I replaced my toner once the whole year and I print like crazy, cost me $60 on amazon, and it is still going. If I were you, start looking around, research printers, toner costs and other things you need to replace. Samsung printers do not require you to replace the drum, but brother printers do, so that is an additional cost.

What will you print

Majority of classes require you to print out the lecture notes (powerpoint), but biochem and medchem print them out for you.

Homework

There is no homework in your Fall P1 year, and in spring your classes have online submissions.

Advice

Take advantage of the mentor/mentee program, and be as detailed as possible in the survey. Some of us pharmacy students are weird (myself included) and you get the best out of relationships when you click with the other person.

Good luck! Enjoy your freedom, and don't let anyone psyche you out. Your grade is what you put in.

Thank you very much for your advice and info. When do we get into the mentor/mentee program? Optional after school starts or during orientation? Hah, can't wait to have a mentor :).
Is the biochem class hard like hell? or the med chem? :scared:

Thank you very much for your advice and info. When do we get into the mentor/mentee program? Optional after school starts or during orientation? Hah, can't wait to have a mentor :).
Is the biochem class hard like hell? or the med chem? :scared:

You should get the survey over the summer for the mentor/mentee match. Biochem/Med chem are not bad, like I said your grade is what you put in. Overall a B is easily attainable in most, if not all classes. Just make sure you get out of the blocks fast, because you don't wanna play catch up for the rest of the semester.

So I thought they weren't sending paper acceptance letters.. I just got mine.

So I thought they weren't sending paper acceptance letters.. I just got mine.

For now, I think it's bc you were off wait-list and one person, as opposed to 140 of us and running behind schedule. Be happy:) I contacted them for a paper acceptance and they avoided answering, which wasn't the first time they've left me hanging. I've been extremely frustrated with them and for those that need a facebook group for roommates, etc. they've dropped the ball. Congrats again... Hope we all get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
For now, I think it's bc you were off wait-list and one person, as opposed to 140 of us and running behind schedule. Be happy:) I contacted them for a paper acceptance and they avoided answering, which wasn't the first time they've left me hanging. I've been extremely frustrated with them and for those that need a facebook group for roommates, etc. they've dropped the ball. Congrats again... Hope we all get one.

They told me I would receive my acceptance letter through e-mail along with all the other information I need 3 days after my acceptance. It's been a week and a half and I have no idea what's going on.

They told me I would receive my acceptance letter through e-mail along with all the other information I need 3 days after my acceptance. It's been a week and a half and I have no idea what's going on.

I told them I wanted my spot back. . . :smuggrin:

I received a letter of acceptance from UT via email and also a letter in the mail.

I wouldn't worry ... they've been TERRIBLE about communication and following their own timelines.

The people running admissions are not the same people who will be delivering the curriculum. That you can be thankful of.

Color or not?

Laser Printers

I admit to having no hands on knowledge of laser printers haha. I 100% agree with auto duplexing and going monochrome. I understand replacing the drum can be an added cost, but having said that, if both the drum and toner are in the same cartridge, you run the risk of having to buy a new one if one the components has a problem. Printer drums can get scratched rather easily, so you'd potentially be throwing away a full toner cartridge. Also, generic (cheaper) refilled cartridges are often a gamble when the two are combined, b/c the drum is often left unchecked. Oftentimes, the costs are quite comparable early on from what I've read, and even less when separated in the long run. Just an fyi, many of the brother printers run at 2-3 cents or less per page (going down into the 1.8 cent realm when you go higher end ... like 6180dw higher end), and dominate amazon etc. I've been doing a ton of research on the low and high end. On rather comparable models of a personal Brother vs Samsung printer, I found that the toner/drum cartridige for samsung ran 54.99 and covered roughly 1500 pages, while the high yield toner for Brother ran 43.49 and covered roughly 2600 pages. The drum, which covers roughly 12000 pages for brother, runs 66.29. Let's say we do the 12000 pages and include the 66.29 drum cost. Brother would run 267 dollars for 12000 pages, while Samsung would run 440 dollars. Is 12000 a lot of pages ... yes, but who knows how much printing we'll be doing throughout school and potentiall beyond. That's just my input ... but I believe any laserjet is a step in the right direction. I just wish I could choose.

I admit to having no hands on knowledge of laser printers haha. I 100% agree with auto duplexing and going monochrome. I understand replacing the drum can be an added cost, but having said that, if both the drum and toner are in the same cartridge, you run the risk of having to buy a new one if one the components has a problem. Printer drums can get scratched rather easily, so you'd potentially be throwing away a full toner cartridge. Also, generic (cheaper) refilled cartridges are often a gamble when the two are combined, b/c the drum is often left unchecked. Oftentimes, the costs are quite comparable early on from what I've read, and even less when separated in the long run. Just an fyi, many of the brother printers run at 2-3 cents or less per page (going down into the 1.8 cent realm when you go higher end ... like 6180dw higher end), and dominate amazon etc. I've been doing a ton of research on the low and high end. On rather comparable models of a personal Brother vs Samsung printer, I found that the toner/drum cartridige for samsung ran 54.99 and covered roughly 1500 pages, while the high yield toner for Brother ran 43.49 and covered roughly 2600 pages. The drum, which covers roughly 12000 pages for brother, runs 66.29. Let's say we do the 12000 pages and include the 66.29 drum cost. Brother would run 267 dollars for 12000 pages, while Samsung would run 440 dollars. Is 12000 a lot of pages ... yes, but who knows how much printing we'll be doing throughout school and potentiall beyond. That's just my input ... but I believe any laserjet is a step in the right direction. I just wish I could choose.

I think you guys should just pick a printer. Pick a good brand, cheap toner price (OEM), and multi function. Most likely, you will graduate before the printer breaks down, so do not worry too much about it. Guess I will be seeing you guys next semester. :)

Is any girl looking for somewhere to live in the fall semester?

I think you guys should just pick a printer. Pick a good brand, cheap toner price (OEM), and multi function. Most likely, you will graduate before the printer breaks down, so do not worry too much about it. Guess I will be seeing you guys next semester. :)

I'm not exactly worried about it ... I just like all gadgets and technology. You don't pick the first car you see. You do your due diligence. I'm sadly excited by the options ... Hence choosing is difficult.

Anyone here get an email regarding global cultures flag? Just emailed too see if Brit Lit would satisfy this requirement... Anyone who goes to UT or is familiar with the requirement, know if Brit Lit would cover this flag?

Global cultures flag is usually satisfied buy two semesters of a foreign language, or one semester of a foreign language and some class that deals with the culture related to your foreign language. for instance you take the first semester of Spanish, and then take an anthropology class of Latin America.

Anyone here get an email regarding global cultures flag? Just emailed too see if Brit Lit would satisfy this requirement... Anyone who goes to UT or is familiar with the requirement, know if Brit Lit would cover this flag?

I took British literature and they told me I needed to take something else so I took a class on ancient cultures which covered it. I had also taken Human Geography which covers "global cultures" but they didn't take it for the flag either.

I took British literature and they told me I needed to take something else so I took a class on ancient cultures which covered it. I had also taken Human Geography which covers "global cultures" but they didn't take it for the flag either.

Ugh...Great....

Wish they would have let me know sooner.
Anyone here know any online courses that might cover this?

Ugh...Great....

Wish they would have let me know sooner.
Anyone here know any online courses that might cover this?

You should still wait from a reply from them I took it at the University of Texas at El Paso maybe it's different at where you took it. They have a list of the classes on the UT website http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/139 if you log in with your UT id and then search for the global cultures classes you can find what counts at UT.

You should still wait from a reply from them I took it at the University of Texas at El Paso maybe it's different at where you took it. They have a list of the classes on the UT website http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/139 if you log in with your UT id and then search for the global cultures classes you can find what counts at UT.

Additionally, you can go here http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/ate/ to see if the course you're taking at your university will count for credit at UT. The ATE is a huge lifesaver.. or at least it was for undergrad haha.

Additionally, you can go here http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/ate/ to see if the course you're taking at your university will count for credit at UT. The ATE is a huge lifesaver.. or at least it was for undergrad haha.

So I checked the ATE search system and found my brit lit is equiv. to 316k or something like that.

BUT it looks like only certain class times for this course has the global culture flag... So I am guessing it depends on the professor's specific curriculum?

Hey all,

Congrats on getting accepted to UT Pharmacy! I'm about to be a P4 and will be doing my rotations in San Antonio so I am putting up my 1/1 condo in North Campus for rent (15 minute walk to campus/pharmacy building, access to 5 bus routes that take you to campus). If you're looking for a place to live, or have any questions about the program itself, feel free to message me! Congrats, again!

Is anyone who got accepted a pharmacy technician?

Is anyone who got accepted a pharmacy technician?

A lot of people are technicians already. I barely got my certification on Saturday... you should try to work as a technician before you get to school so you can waive the Early practice experience. If you do, save all you paystubs..