University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the secondary today as well. Not stoked on their religious deal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, y'all are on top of it. I feel like between the couple of us, no one else is really active in applying right now LMAO. Can't get my app out until september :( so sad.

I've submitted my primary. Just waiting for verification and then I'll be in with y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got secondaries, what are your stats?

What kind of gpa and mcat do you think is competitive for this school??

Heavily based mission school and brand new...who knows really. Apply regardless.

upper 3.3 c & sgpa, ~ 80th percentile MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Got my fee waiver. Also seem like they have the same problem like BCOM where their portal doesn't update your letter and MCAT but was able to clear all of that with them. Now time to think on what to write.... Hopefully this essay will work for some other religious school's essay .

I'm Buddhist and gay lol so I'll let you guys know haha

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Buddhist and gay lol so I'll let you guys know haha

Pretty sure if you don't openly mention you're gay, you'll be fine. I know it sucks, but it's dicey when they call themselves the "Incarnate Word" lmao. Kinda creepy name imo. Anyway, Bhuddism seems neutral tbh.

Pretty sure if you don't openly mention you're gay, you'll be fine. I know it sucks, but it's dicey when they call themselves the "Incarnate Word" lmao. Kinda creepy imo. Anyway, Bhuddism seems neutral tbh.

Too late lol. I'm out and about on my app. All my experiences has been with the LGBTQ community. Unfortunately, getting rid of them will leave me with only my clinical experience haha. Honestly, I shouldn't be winging it but I am. The location of this school is what really got me interested tbh. Then again, it is Texas...

Please keep the thread civil and relevant. We are here to help each other through the cycle, not mock the school we are applying to. I hope you know that the schools monitor this forum.

Heavily based mission school and brand new...who knows really. Apply regardless.

upper 3.3 c & sgpa, ~ 80th percentile MCAT.

Dude, I assume you are also applying to MD schools as well? Those stats are certainly fair game for MD admission lol

Hey All,

Underdog here. Got off the phone with a very pleasant Admissions Office rep, here name is Jessica. She answered all questions thoroughly and honestly. I'm a Muslim and she said that it would not only not be an issue, but if anything be a welcome addition to the school's intended diversity. They will have a religious room that will act as an interfaith area as well. I asked them about their residencies and they have already started the process of setting them up, and ideally they will have some ready by the time the first class graduates. I think UIW is starting off on the right foot, and I look forward to hopefully getting some love from them!

Reactions: 5 users
Dude, I assume you are also applying to MD schools as well? Those stats are certainly fair game for MD admission lol
All Texas schools and then 17 DO schools. Thanks for the compliment.

Hey All,

Underdog here. Got off the phone with a very pleasant Admissions Office rep, here name is Jessica. She answered all questions thoroughly and honestly. I'm a Muslim and she said that it would not only not be an issue, but if anything be a welcome addition to the school's intended diversity. They will have a religious room that will act as an interfaith area as well. I asked them about their residencies and they have already started the process of setting them up, and ideally they will have some ready by the time the first class graduates. I think UIW is starting off on the right foot, and I look forward to hopefully getting some love from them!
You rock! Thanks for sharing :)

Can we double up our clinical, employment, or non-clinical experiences like we do for TMDSAS? Some of my activities can be listed in all three.

Can we double up our clinical, employment, or non-clinical experiences like we do for TMDSAS? Some of my activities can be listed in all three.
If you are talking about the AACOMAS, I did that when appropriate. A healthcare leadership activity can be listed under employment, clinical experience, etc.

Hey guys, so i got a little freaked out as well about the whole jesus christ thing, but if you read deeper into their mission it really just talks about being a good human being and it actually says they want diversity, equality, and peace for all. So for the gay dude or muslim dude in here, i'd say you should say it outright because they want diversity and equality. I think it looks like a dope school!

Ugh, I wish they have financial aid available for first year. That's the only thing that is holding me back with some of these new schools.

Ugh, I wish they have financial aid available for first year. That's the only thing that is holding me back with some of these new schools.

Wait, they have no financial aid?? I thought they do cause UIW is a very established university already?

@lnguyen1412 @AsianPersuasion All medical schools prepare a financial aid package for their students. Please call the schools to double check guys.

Perhaps you can help clear up my confusion: I thought a drawback for many for BCOM was that they offered no federal aid the first year? Was it some other form of aid not offered?

See, I thought they don't offer federal aid and that schools like BCOM for example from another poster stated, they will have it by third year...

Perhaps you can help clear up my confusion: I thought a drawback for many for BCOM was that they offered no federal aid the first year? Was it some other form of aid not offered?
@Doctor_Strange @AsianPersuasion
Since I'm only applying to the most established schools outside Texas, I don't know much about BCOM. As for the UIW, the university is one of the oldest in Texas (1881), so I'm sure they have some sort of financial aid package for the new school. If in doubt, call the school, confirm and share. Good luck :)

I'm struggling to make these secondary essay responses not seem to drone on. Obviously the goal isn't to write 1000 words for each prompt, but is anyone cutting it off around 300 words each? I don't want to come off as phoning in the secondaries...

I didnt even know how many words i had till i pasted it in. If you are happy with the content, adding more just to fill the word count will be worse than not being "lengthy" enough. Getting a message across in a concise manner is definitely a skill people notice as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm struggling to make these secondary essay responses not seem to drone on. Obviously the goal isn't to write 1000 words for each prompt, but is anyone cutting it off around 300 words each? I don't want to come off as phoning in the secondaries...
It's been a while since I've received the secondary invite and I'm still working on the essay. Like @FCMike11 suggested if you can relay all that you want in a short concise passage, stretching it to hit that max word limit isn't required.

It's been a while since I've received the secondary invite and I'm still working on the essay. Like @FCMike11 suggested if you can relay all that you want in a short concise passage, stretching it to hit that max word limit isn't required.

I'm done with the first question, and there's no way I used all 1000 words. I think I only have about 500-600 words.

I'm still thinking about how to correlate religion into it...

I'm done with the first question, and there's no way I used all 1000 words. I think I only have about 500-600 words.

I'm still thinking about how to correlate religion into it...
I'm in the same position as you are with the second essay question. I am still trying to figure out how to coalesce faith with healthcare and osteopathy.

I'm in the same position as you are with the second essay question. I am still trying to figure out how to coalesce faith with healthcare and osteopathy.

I can say that my background contributes to my qualities that I have that will bring diversity to UIW, and help completed their mission to serve the underserved. But I don't know how faith gonna play into this lol. It kinda hard

I can say that my background contributes to my qualities that I have that will bring diversity to UIW, and help completed their mission to serve the underserved. But I don't know how faith gonna play into this lol. It kinda hard
Took me 5 days to finish the essays, but I'm done and finally clicked that submit button! Damn that was a tough one, ha!
Love the mission and the spirituality aspect in medicine. I really hope I get the II soon :D

Someone in admissions told me to expect contact 4-6 weeks from submission date as they are still doing training themselves and ironing out the things of being a new school.

Someone in admissions told me to expect contact 4-6 weeks from submission date as they are still doing training themselves and ironing out the things of being a new school.

Thanks for the update! The online portal shows that my letters are still not received. Do we have to send the letters separately, even when the letters were attached to the primary app through AACOMAS? What does your portal show? Are your letters received yet?

When i was on the phone they told me my application was complete and that everything sent was sufficient. Im applying to another DO school as well and their things did not update either. Mine is still red I think and i have already scheduled to meet on their campus for interview.

When i was on the phone they told me my application was complete and that everything sent was sufficient. Im applying to another DO school as well and their things did not update either. Mine is still red I think and i have already scheduled to meet on their campus for interview.

Congrats! I noticed you also got an interview at Bradenton. You are killing it. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Finally, submitted, I also noticed all of my documents were green light...Guess they received them all

I requested electronic transcripts from two different universities both sent at the same time, minutes apart, yet only ONE was received in the online portal. This is annoying.

Finally, submitted, I also noticed all of my documents were green light...Guess they received them all
I'm glad to be over with the secondary app. Do you see everything received (green light) under the "Status" tab? This is getting me worried.

I requested electronic transcripts from two different universities both sent at the same time, minutes apart, yet only ONE was received in the online portal. This is annoying.
You should call AACOMAS for confirmation. I would just resend the transcript. It is possible that the transcript was lost on the electric highway.

I'm glad to be over with the secondary app. Do you see everything received (green light) under the "Status" tab? This is getting me worried.

Yeah I did see everything is green for me. This is the first lol. The other supplemental apps still red (BCOM, ATSU)

Yeah I did see everything is green for me. This is the first lol. The other supplemental apps still red (BCOM, ATSU)
BCOM isn't going to turn green, they told me that!

You should call AACOMAS for confirmation. I would just resend the transcript. It is possible that the transcript was lost on the electric highway.
Yeah, I will call, but not going to send since it costs $10 bucks >: (.

Yeah, I will call, but not going to send since it costs $10 bucks >: (.
Number one rule of applying to med school, never pays for anything over $10. Seriously though, $10 to send in a transcript is a freaking bargain already lol