University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Number one rule of applying to med school, never pays for anything over $10. Seriously though, $10 to send in a transcript is a freaking bargain already lol
where do you go to school? Mars university? lol My school charges $0 + $2 processing fee

Members don't see this ad.

where do you go to school? Mars university? lol My school charges $0 + $2 processing fee
Wow! Freaking California and it's ridiculously expensive UC system.. It cost at least $15 for regular delivery. I paid for rush and it was close to $50..

Number one rule of applying to med school, never pays for anything over $10. Seriously though, $10 to send in a transcript is a freaking bargain already lol

I'll send one every day until they get it. I'll take it out of my exotic car saving's fund : (.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary on 6/22.
3.59 sGPA, 3.63 cGPA, 56% MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Application Complete Email this Morning!! Everything has a green checkmark now :D

Reactions: 1 users
Application Complete Email this Morning!! Everything has a green checkmark now :D
Anyone else get app complete email? Or am I the only one?

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
- Confucius

Anyone else get app complete email? Or am I the only one?

- Confucius
Yeah, I got an email 7/3 saying my app is "now complete and will be reviewed for a possible invitation to participate in multiple mini interviews."
I'm not sure how I feel about MMIs lol

Yeah, I got an email 7/3 saying my app is "now complete and will be reviewed for a possible invitation to participate in multiple mini interviews."
I'm not sure how I feel about MMIs lol
I bought this eBook from Amazon to prepare for the MMI. Hope it helps: Case Files Medical Ethics and Professionalism.

- Confucius

I bought this eBook from Amazon to prepare for the MMI. Hope it helps: Case Files Medical Ethics and Professionalism.

- Confucius
Yes, I saw that book recommended somewhere here on sdn!

Are you able to see your LORs? I have a green checkmark for it, but nothing under "documentation".

Yes, I saw that book recommended somewhere here on sdn!

Are you able to see your LORs? I have a green checkmark for it, but nothing under "documentation".
Yeah, same situation. Got a green checkmark but documentation is empty. I believe that if they are sending me a complete email, then they should have received the LORs too. None of the schools I applied to have complained so far, so we should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I am an atheist/Muslim, the chances of me getting into this school is slim to none?

Btw any idea what their tuition is going to look like?

So if I am an atheist/Muslim, the chances of me getting into this school is slim to none?

Btw any idea what their tuition is going to look like?
We discussed this earlier in this thread. If you can provide new perspectives and align with the mission, then you will be fine. The tuition is $52,600 a year, which is par with other private institutions. You can find more info on their FAQs page: http://www.uiw.edu/som/admissions/uiwsomadmissionsfaqs.html
Good Luck!

I would love to get into a Catholic school. I'm fairly religious catholic, so it'd be amazing to be able to attend a school that isn't only nominally catholic. Every other catholic med school is only catholic in name.

Anyone knows if the committee letter is absolutely required? I graduated from a post-bacc pre-med program and my post-bacc institution indeed has a pre-health committee. However, I have a feeling my school won't submit one until late Aug/Sept. I don't know if having a late committee letter or by-passing the committee letter altogether hurts more. Any advice guys?

Anyone knows if the committee letter is absolutely required? I graduated from a post-bacc pre-med program and my post-bacc institution indeed has a pre-health committee. However, I have a feeling my school won't submit one until late Aug/Sept. I don't know if having a late committee letter or by-passing the committee letter altogether hurts more. Any advice guys?
I don't think it is absolutely necessary if you have all the required letters. But you should call the school and confirm it.

Here is an exact quote from an email I received today regarding this exact situation:

"Letters of Recommendation – Three letters of recommendation: One from a health care provider (preferably DO), one from a premed advisor or health professions admissions committee (HPAC), and one from a science faculty member. Non-traditional students can substitute one faculty or HPAC letter with a more recent reference (employer, volunteer/community service supervisor, etc.) You can substitute your premed advisor letter with another DO/healthcare supervisor letter, but we really need one letter minimally from a science faculty member."

Hope this helps.

Here is an exact quote from an email I received today regarding this exact situation:

"Letters of Recommendation – Three letters of recommendation: One from a health care provider (preferably DO), one from a premed advisor or health professions admissions committee (HPAC), and one from a science faculty member. Non-traditional students can substitute one faculty or HPAC letter with a more recent reference (employer, volunteer/community service supervisor, etc.) You can substitute your premed advisor letter with another DO/healthcare supervisor letter, but we really need one letter minimally from a science faculty member."

Hope this helps.

Thanks @Marrowist and @SmilingTooth for your input. I have 3 science faculty letters, I just don't want to wait for the HPAC to write a letter because they take forever. Good luck to everyone!

My supplement was received on June 27 and I have heard nothing since.

My supplement was received on June 27 and I have heard nothing since.
Give it some time. They do not anticipate having interviews until late September or into early October ( email from the admissions office). What you can do is email them with your full name and application id and ask if they have everything they need from you for your application to be complete.

I must say, for a new institution I really like their website layout and design. Their website descriptions and secondary prompts are very nicely written. The responses to these secondaries are going to make the Adcoms' jobs much easier in determining who to give an II to.

Also, this is my opinion, but I believe that they made a 1000 word limit to allow us to write "as much as we want," not necessarily because they want us to use up all 1000 words.

For anyone interested, an admissions rep said we would be hearing about II in "the next few weeks" whatever that means lol

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering where would the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations going to be? Does UIWSOM have an affiliated hospital or is it in the process? I was not able to find this info under curriculum/facilities on their website.

Hey guys how long did it take for UIW to verify your letters of rec? I submitted my letters through my AACOMAS primary and I submitted the UIW secondary on 7/15 and theres still a red X next to it?

Should I mention, in that second paragraph, that I'm not religious? Or would it be bad practice to even mention it? Because the prompt mentions that UIWSOM is faith-based, but only asks about the mission statement.

I don't mean typing this: "I'm not religious." and then just ending that train of thought there.

More like "Although I'm not religious, I can understand [insert reason(s) why being religious can be good for healthcare]," and then following up on that.

What did you SDN'ers who've already submitted, do? Did you guys touch on religion at all, in the secondary?

Should I mention, in that second paragraph, that I'm not religious? Or would it be bad practice to even mention it? Because the prompt mentions that UIWSOM is faith-based, but only asks about the mission statement.

I don't mean typing this: "I'm not religious." and then just ending that train of thought there.

More like "Although I'm not religious, I can understand [insert reason(s) why being religious can be good for healthcare]," and then following up on that.

What did you SDN'ers who've already submitted, do? Did you guys touch on religion at all, in the secondary?

Faith can have context outside of a religion. And it actually in no way asks you to explain your faith. It asks you how you will contribute to their mission. Find their mission statement on the website and write an essay that works for you. I am not religious, but my goals fit very well into their mission. I am also not religious, but I have a huge amount of faith. I suppose you could mention it, but why bother?

Hey guys how long did it take for UIW to verify your letters of rec? I submitted my letters through my AACOMAS primary and I submitted the UIW secondary on 7/15 and theres still a red X next to it?

I emailed them and they verified for me.

My UIW secondary letters had a red cross mark even after I received a confirmation email stating that they have received all the materials and is currently under review. After a week or so, the red cross changed to green. I think they are still catching up with the applications. You can either call them and ask for confirmation. If you received the under review email, I wouldn't be worried.

My UIW secondary letters had a red cross mark even after I received a confirmation email stating that they have received all the materials and is currently under review. After a week or so, the red cross changed to green. I think they are still catching up with the applications. You can either call them and ask for confirmation. If you received the under review email, I wouldn't be worried.

First, check on the portal to see what is missing. Then, call or e-mail and check it up. My app was processed immediately, so there may be something up for you.

Thanks guys! I emailed them and they verified that my letters were received my my app is complete now. Time for the waiting game!

Reactions: 2 users
is anyone still working on the second question.......

Just received the secondary this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
When does this school send out interviews??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When does this school send out interviews??
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe the email said they'll begin interviewing in October. I imagine some II's will start to go out sometime soon.

I received an "application complete and in review" email last week. They said it can take about 4 weeks for them to get back!

Hmmm weird, I never got a complete and in review, just "supplemental received" around June 27.

Hmmm weird, I never got a complete and in review, just "supplemental received" around June 27.

I received an application complete email. You might check to be sure your app was processed?

Well I did look on my portal and there's a green check next to everything, including "app complete". I'll wait it out another week then inquire.

Does anyone know how OOS-friendly is this school? Is it worth it for me to apply? I'm currently a Californian living in Missouri.

Does anyone know how OOS-friendly is this school? Is it worth it for me to apply? I'm currently a Californian living in Missouri.
They're private and in their first class, so I would say VERY.

I hope to be hearing from them soon. Excited about this program.

Submitted the secondary here today. Super stoked about this school.