University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long weekend :) have fun guys
Hey boss. Have a good weekend. Ill be in Alabama with you next weeknd

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty 1st Edition. I found this book on amazon. It is relatively new.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people do not post there (myself included) to try and maintain some sort of anonymity (why I don't at least)...not that it wouldn't be hard to look up my info.

Just wanted to say this as I constantly see people "telling" people to post here.

I completely understand. If you don't feel comfortable with posting, then don't. I'm sorry if it felt like a command. This should be an exciting time where you celebrate getting an II.

I honestly don't think usernames should be required since all I'm interested in are stats as a means of comparison but even then, comparing applicants will never be exact since we don't take into account everything else.

However, I would be willing to put your stats in the thread under anonymous if you'd like to PM me, but it's up to you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I completely understand. If you don't feel comfortable with posting, then don't. I'm sorry if it felt like a command. This should be an exciting time where you celebrate getting an II.

I honestly don't think usernames should be required since all I'm interested in are stats as a means of comparison but even then, comparing applicants will never be exact since we don't take into account everything else.

However, I would be willing to put your stats in the thread under anonymous if you'd like to PM me, but it's up to you. :)

You did not offend me/didnt feel like a command. This was really a general response to everyone who encourages it. Insight as to why some may not.

I got a secondary fairly quickly. I'm surprised by how short it is. And that they're planning on having their first class be 150 students. Has anyone on here been to the campus by any chance?

I got a secondary fairly quickly. I'm surprised by how short it is. And that they're planning on having their first class be 150 students. Has anyone on here been to the campus by any chance?

I don't think the campus is finished yet.

Are they going in any order? I was complete 7/26 and still no news

Is anyone who is interviewing here OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just one. Admissions said it can take up to 8 weeks to hear anything. Lol...

I am interviewing here and I am OOS.

I have decided to retake the MCAT in September after getting my July score back last week. There is one poster who was invited for an interview with the same score that I received, so I'm hoping to receive an II anytime between now and October (when I get my Sept. score). My question is will admissions review my application before I get my Sept. score back if my current score is "competitive" or will they hold off to review it for a possible II until October?

I have decided to retake the MCAT in September after getting my July score back last week. There is one poster who was invited for an interview with the same score that I received, so I'm hoping to receive an II anytime between now and October (when I get my Sept. score). My question is will admissions review my application before I get my Sept. score back if my current score is "competitive" or will they hold off to review it for a possible II until October?

Sounds like a question for admissions.

How's the prep for the interview coming along guys? I got this book "Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) for the Mind by Dr. Kevyn To. What are you using to prepare? Good luck y'all!

Most schools will put you on the back burner until the app is complete. It is possible that if you add the Sept. retake on your app, they will not consider it until the scores come back in Oct. But do call the school and let us know!

I think just researching online for MMI format. YouTube videos. And reading some past examples of some.

I think just researching online for MMI format. YouTube videos. And reading some past examples of some.
That's awesome. I am summing down a strategy via examples similar to the one described somewhere here on SDN. What worries me the most is a scenario that I'm completely oblivious about until being asked during the interview.

Most schools will put you on the back burner until the app is complete. It is possible that if you add the Sept. retake on your app, they will not consider it until the scores come back in Oct. But do call the school and let us know!
I contacted them yesterday. They said that they do not hold applications based on pending test dates.

Wait, so I am scheduled to retake the MCAT on Sept. 10th, but I am end up voiding it. Could UIWSOM be holding off on my app because of this? In other words, can they see that I have a scheduled retake, or is that something I have to tell them? I don't think it would should until I do the "report score to AACOMAS" option, right?

edit: got it now.

Last edited:
Wait, so I am scheduled to retake the MCAT on Sept. 10th, but I am end up voiding it. Could UIWSOM be holding off on my app because of this? In other words, can they see that I have a scheduled retake, or is that something I have to tell them? I don't think it would should until I do the "report score to AACOMAS" option, right?

Read two posts above yours

Anybody had a problem with uploading your picture in secondary app? Mine is not uploading.

Anybody had a problem with uploading your picture in secondary app? Mine is not uploading.
Is it a jpeg? Looks like the photo needs to be a jpeg, less than 4 mb, and the dimensions no larger than 2x2.

Ok, I think I need to get off SDN for awhile now. Don't know how I missed that...

Thanks
I used to be on SDN a whole lot, but looking people go neurotic on little things makes me wanna stay away. It is infectious lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so excited to visit this campus! It used to be aerospace medical school at a time when humanity was just about ready to set foot on the moon. Excuse the spill, just cannot contain the excitement :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so excited to visit this campus! It used to be aerospace medical school at a time when humanity was just about ready to set foot on the moon. Excuse the spill, just cannot contain the excitement :)
Any idea how the progress on building is? As I understand, we are not interviewing on the campus. Im curious as well how much/when the deposit is due if accepted considering this.

Seems like after the first round of II, the school went quiet...

Reactions: 1 users
It's late but finally submitted my secondary yesterday.

It isn't very late at all. Most people in these threads are SUPER early.

Does this school participate in Interfolio? I couldnt find the school on the Interfolio website :(

Any idea how the progress on building is? As I understand, we are not interviewing on the campus. Im curious as well how much/when the deposit is due if accepted considering this.

UIW has leased the buildings at the brooks city base where the aerospace med school used to be. So I imagine they just need to revamp with new medical equipment, electronics, and interiors.
Deposit is $1000. Link: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017cib-uiwsom.pdf?sfvrsn=2

UIW has leased the buildings at the brooks city base where the aerospace med school used to be. So I imagine they just need to revamp with new medical equipment, electronics, and interiors.
Deposit is $1000. Link: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017cib-uiwsom.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Good info, thanks. I was going to visit the campus a little ways back but they were working on the campus/renovating. I guess it is done now. Thanks for the link.

Good info, thanks. I was going to visit the campus a little ways back but they are indeed working on the campus/renovating. I dont remember where I read this, but I am pretty sure we are not interviewing on what will be the medical school campus.

The portal where we schedule the interview says, "Interviews will be held at the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine located at Brooks City Base, 2510 Kennedy Circle, San Antonio, TX 78235. Please note this is not the main campus of the University of the Incarnate Word. " So we will definitely see the new building!!

The portal where we schedule the interview says, "Interviews will be held at the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine located at Brooks City Base, 2510 Kennedy Circle, San Antonio, TX 78235. Please note this is not the main campus of the University of the Incarnate Word. " So we will definitely see the new building!!
Yeah i edited my post...i mistook the "we are not on the main UIW campus" for something else.
Good deal.

Yeah i edited my post...i mistook the "we are not on the main UIW campus" for something else.
Good deal.

Ha! I've heard only good things about UIW. They are the oldest and quite diverse in the type of programs offered.
For the first year of instructions (dubbed Phase 1) we will have 4 buildings. Phase 2 will add three more buildings. Hope we get more info on the clerkships and clinical education though.
http://www.uiw.edu/som/images/aerialview.JPG

Ha! I've heard only good things about UIW. They are the oldest and quite diverse in the type of programs offered.
For the first year of instructions (dubbed Phase 1) we will have 4 buildings. Phase 2 will add three more buildings. Hope we get more info on the clerkships and clinical education though.
http://www.uiw.edu/som/images/aerialview.JPG
Looks to me like a fairly small campus. Excited to be reviewed! Would love to go here!

Has anyone of you guys participated in MMI(s) before? How are you guys preparing ? Any tips if you have previous experience with this form of interview

Has anyone of you guys participated in MMI(s) before? How are you guys preparing ? Any tips if you have previous experience with this form of interview
It is somewhat like case scenarios, where they try to see how we think on our feet. There are few MMI books on Amazon.com which are helpful in preparing a general strategy and practice. Youtube videos and online resources are also useful.

hey guys, regarding the photo that needs to be uploaded, what kind of pics did you upload? like a head shot or a cropped facebook picture lol