University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone provided input on the social environment of San Antonio? I am inquiring about the racial tolerance of the location. Sad that I am asking this but I want to be comfortable in a city I might live in for the next 4 years. Thanks guys!
San Antonio is somewhere around 60% hispanic. Not sure of what demographic you are referring to, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

San Antonio is somewhere around 60% hispanic. Not sure of what demographic you are referring to, though.

Wow, actually did not know that. I am arabic muslim and I am use to the high NY level of tolerance for my culture. I have visited other parts of the country were that was not the case.

Wow, actually did not know that. I am arabic muslim and I am use to the high NY level of tolerance for my culture. I have visited other parts of the country were that was not the case.
It's a really beautiful city. Very close to New Braunfels and Austin, which are pretty diverse with lots of activity and history. Absolutely worth checking out. Im in San Antonio/New Braunfels 5+ times a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a really beautiful city. Very close to New Braunfels and Austin, which are pretty diverse with lots of activity and history. Absolutely worth checking out. Im in San Antonio/New Braunfels 5+ times a year.

Thank you very much for the input man, I will check it hopefully once the interviews rolls in. thanks again.

Has anyone received an interview invite yet? My entire application was completed on July 26th and they still have not emailed me their decision.

Has anyone received an interview invite yet? My entire application was completed on July 26th and they still have not emailed me their decision.
I suggest reading other posts here... but yes, many have recieved invites.

I suggest reading other posts here... but yes, many have recieved invites.

I wouldn't say "many" ... More like "some." Be patient, they are a new school so they're very busy attending to other matters of the school as well.

I wouldn't say "many" ... More like "some." Be patient, they are a new school so they're very busy attending to other matters of the school as well.
SDN only represents about 5-10% of all med school applicants. So I think it is safe to say that they might have sent out more invites than we know of, who knows.

SDN only represents about 5-10% of all med school applicants. So I think it is safe to say that they might have sent out more invites than we know of, who knows.

I don't think they have because no other interview dates have been added in addition to Sept. 9th and 10th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to interview here this weekend! Anyone else got an email reminder?

Last edited:
Excited to interview here this weekend! Anyone else got an email reminder?
Me! A generic one tho, where they forgot to put my name and the interview date.

Dear PREFFIRSTNAME, lol.
But I'm still excited.

Me! A generic one tho, where they forgot to put my name and the interview date.

Dear PREFFIRSTNAME, lol.
But I'm still excited.
lol I got the same email twice. I'm sure it's a technical error. Hope I don't melt in my suit in San Antonio

My experience has been hot and dry. Can get humid but nothing like LA or where I live in Texas.

Aii boss. Coming from Miami wanted to know what to prepare for.

Can anyone clarify the difference between Euthanasia and Physician assisted-suicide?

Can't wait to check out the school this Friday!!!! Anyone else here interviewing on Friday down to hang out the night before? Let's all get dinner together! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone clarify the difference between Euthanasia and Physician assisted-suicide?
Euthanasia is when the physician actively injects lethal drugs to her patients to end the suffering and pain. Whereas, PAS refers to the act of prescribing drugs to patients who will like to end their own suffering or pain. Both these acts are ethically wrong and unjustifiable, but PAS is legal in few states such as Oregon. Legal does not equal to ethical all the time. That is my understanding. Do correct me if I'm wrong!

This is not the place for such a debate. Maybe in the other forums? Congrats to all who are interviewing here, I would love to have an invite and check out this new program!

This is not the place for such a debate. Maybe in the other forums? Congrats to all who are interviewing here, I would love to have an invite and check out this new program!
No body is trying to debate boss.

Euthanasia is when the physician actively injects lethal drugs to her patients to end the suffering and pain. Whereas, PAS refers to the act of prescribing drugs to patients who will like to end their own suffering or pain. Both these acts are ethically wrong and unjustifiable, but PAS is legal in few states such as Oregon. Legal does not equal to ethical all the time. That is my understanding. Do correct me if I'm wrong!
Yes you are right. The terms can seem a little bit interchangeable but I have been able to clarify it.

Im not saying you are wrong/right for thinking this way, but I wouldnt suggest calling it wrong/unjustifiable. Definitely not black and white and I work with many providers who would disagree or fall into a gray area. Present why both sides have valid points but, perhaps "I wouldnt feel comfortable because .....".

What I'm trying to say is admissions want to see is that you can work with staff/patients of differing opinions and if you are capable of respecting those beliefs.

I'd disagree because I have seen patient's with ALS, MS - other debilitating diseases that I would not want to live in that condition and many do not either.

Yes you are right. The terms can seem a little bit interchangeable but I have been able to clarify it.

Im not saying you are wrong/right for thinking this way, but I wouldnt suggest calling it wrong/unjustifiable. Definitely not black and white and I work with many providers who would disagree or fall into a gray area. Present why both sides have valid points but, perhaps "I wouldnt feel comfortable because .....".

What I'm trying to say is admissions want to see is that you can work with staff/patients of differing opinions and if you are capable of respecting those beliefs.

I'd disagree because I have seen patient's with ALS, MS - other debilitating diseases that I would not want to live in that condition and many do not either.

Guys, I'm only paraphrasing what I read from the USMLE Ethics prep book. It mentions that there are polarizing opinions on both sides of the PAS debate, but the major consensus in the ethics literature is leaning towards the practice of PAS as being ethically unacceptable. The USMLE book also suggests that for any question regarding PAS on the exam, always answer that it is unjustifiable.

@Drbee1992 I had to research this topic myself to understand the difference. What I found is that the act of physically providing lethal dose is much different than prescribing. If that makes sense lol

@FCMike11 It is great to have colleagues with diverse perspectives. I've not had any significant clinical exposure in caring for patients with end-of-life issues, so I am refraining from making any judgments. And you are correct that you can't really force physicians into doing anything that they are not comfortable with themselves.

Last edited:
I suggest that you start brushing up on your ethics issues boss! As students, we are not in any position to make any judgment calls, so it is better for us to rely on literature and research to pass those pesky MMI questions.

Guys, I'm only paraphrasing what I read from the USMLE Ethics prep book. It mentions that there are polarizing opinions on both sides of the PAS debate, but the major consensus in the ethics literature is leaning towards the practice of PAS as being ethically unacceptable. The USMLE book also suggests that for any question regarding PAS on the exam, always answer that it is unjustifiable.

@Drbee1992 I had to research this topic myself to understand the difference. What I found is that the act of physically providing lethal dose is much different than prescribing. If that makes sense lol

@FCMike11 It is great to have colleagues with diverse perspectives. I've not had any significant clinical exposure in caring for patients with end-of-life issues, so I am refraining from making any judgments. But since we are interviewing at a faith-based med school, I will most likely not express my approval for PAS. And you are correct that you can't really force physicians into doing anything that they are not comfortable with themselves.
You gotta do what you think puts you in the best position. I won't change who I am/represent myself in a different way because of a school's mission (sounds like that is how you believe, though). I'm surprised an ethics book doesn't talk about framing an answer to appreciate both sides (whether you believe in it or not).

Consensus is either side you pick on an issue isn't the big part of your answer you are judged on (it is important, depending on the question) but rather how you came to that conclusion and what your foundational knowledge is in whatevet situation (or your ability to reason in a situation you arent well versed in).

You gotta do what you think puts you in the best position. I won't change who I am/represent myself in a different way because of a school's mission (sounds like that is how you believe, though). I'm surprised an ethics book doesn't talk about framing an answer to appreciate both sides (whether you believe in it or not).

Consensus is either side you pick on an issue isn't the big part of your answer you are judged on (it is important, depending on the question) but rather how you came to that conclusion and what your foundational knowledge is in whatevet situation (or your ability to reason in a situation you arent well versed in).

Oh man, I would never misrepresent who I am just for the sake of the school's mission. I personally believe that such ethical issues must be made in the patient's best interest. Most of the time these issues are deferred to the hospital's ethics board, and then to the jurisprudence. Everyone is entitled to their own belief, but as health professionals, we have to play by the hospital or state policies, or risk getting sued and being stripped of our license to practice. Understanding the patient's beliefs and choices are one thing, but acting on them requires thorough reflection and consultation.

The ethics book is a prep book for USMLE. All it tries to do is help the reader get better scores on the exam. It lacks considerable depth in its content but does provide good definitions and scenarios to play with.

Unless you have a M.A. in Bioethics, I would suggest you do a search about Euthanasia, PAS, and even the terms of "active" vs "passive" euthanasia. Frankly, I don't care what the USMLE Ethics book says--just last month my friend sent me a screencap of a USMLE question regarding an ethics scenario which was poorly worded and with an even more dubious answer. Rather, I defer to clinical ethicists who study this topic.

I took a course in college called Introduction to Clinical Ethics taught by a working ethicist and the tl;dr version: there is a distinction of a patient pushing a button to inject himself with a toxin (euthanasia) versus a doctor actively participating in delivering a toxin to end life (i.e. PAS). Euthanasia is a more accepted practice. Again, I think any discussion about this should be grounded in principles, not beliefs. For instance, you may believe euthanasia is wrong, but what value do you invoke to support your claim? Perhaps you believe the value of life is greater than the principle of autonomy. Perhaps euthanasia violates your sense of what the hippocratic oath stands for? Perhaps it actually falls in line with how you interpret it? I am not trying to give you an answer, or trying to call you out at all, but rather am just encouraging you to explore different points of view. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Unless you have a M.A. in Bioethics, I would suggest you do a search about Euthanasia, PAS, and even the terms of "active" vs "passive" euthanasia. Frankly, I don't care what the USMLE Ethics book says--just last month my friend sent me a screencap of a USMLE question regarding an ethics scenario which was poorly worded and with an even more dubious answer. Rather, I defer to clinical ethicists who study this topic.

I took a course in college called Introduction to Clinical Ethics taught by a working ethicist and the tl;dr version: there is a distinction of a patient pushing a button to inject himself with a toxin (euthanasia) versus a doctor actively participating in delivering a toxin to end life (i.e. PAS). Euthanasia is a more accepted practice. Again, I think any discussion about this should be grounded in principles, not beliefs. For instance, you may believe euthanasia is wrong, but what value do you invoke to support your claim? Perhaps you believe the value of life is greater than the principle of autonomy. Perhaps euthanasia violates your sense of what the hippocratic oath stands for? Perhaps it actually falls in line with how you interpret it? I am not trying to give you an answer, or trying to call you out at all, but rather am just encouraging you to explore different points of view. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info bro. I took a grad course in Medical Ethics where they did differentiate both practices, but euthanasia is considered to be wildly unethical if I'm remembering it correctly. And yes, patient autonomy trumps most other principles, but not in the case of euthanasia or PAS.

I guess everyone is ready for this weekend! :D
I'm still reading up on ethics... tons and tons of ethics...

I think you guys are all overthinking it. Relax, haha. MMI's aren't designed to see who's going to answer "right or wrong," what's more important is to see which side you choose and why. Does your argument for your side sound ethical, compassionate, etc. Imagine yourself as a future physician and act accordingly.

MMI's can't really be prepared for, other than a general strategy/approach you choose to take on scenarios.

Thanks for the info bro. I took a grad course in Medical Ethics where they did differentiate both practices, but euthanasia is considered to be wildly unethical if I'm remembering it correctly. And yes, patient autonomy trumps most other principles, but not in the case of euthanasia or PAS.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I will say that Bouvia v. Superior Court lays a precedent that if a patient is competent--that is, has decision making capacity--deciding to withdraw from a treatment to let the body deteriorate on its own is permissible and classically illustrates "passive euthanasia". There are some ethicists, however, who do not even accept a distinction between passive and active euthanasia which I totally get. Anyways, though, you seem to have a sound understanding so I wouldn't worry about any future MMIs.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I will say that Bouvia v. Superior Court lays a precedent that if a patient is competent--that is, has decision making capacity--deciding to withdraw from a treatment to let the body deteriorate on its own is permissible and classically illustrates "passive euthanasia". There are some ethicists, however, who do not even accept a distinction between passive and active euthanasia which I totally get. Anyways, though, you seem to have a sound understanding so I wouldn't worry about any future MMIs.
That makes sense. I think that case sets a precedent for patient autonomy. A physician cannot force the treatment on a mentally competent patient. Is it safe to say that the euthanasia/PAS are defined by the physician's intent? And the conflict with the good 'ole "Primum non nocere"?

I probably know the answer to this, but if a letter shows up under the portal with a green check is it accepted as meeting their requirements? One of my letter writers didn't submit on letterhead and it has been a process to get it corrected. Haven't heard yet from the school but hopefully I don't need to have her submit the additional letter that is corrected.

I probably know the answer to this, but if a letter shows up under the portal with a green check is it accepted as meeting their requirements? One of my letter writers didn't submit on letterhead and it has been a process to get it corrected. Haven't heard yet from the school but hopefully I don't need to have her submit the additional letter that is corrected.
The only way to know for sure is to call and ask the school. I hope you guys get the next round of interviews soon. It should be sometime next week hopefully!

The only way to know for sure is to call and ask the school. I hope you guys get the next round of interviews soon. It should be sometime next week hopefully!

Thanks! I emailed them and may try calling in a couple days if I don't hear back!

Can't wait to check out the school this Friday!!!! Anyone else here interviewing on Friday down to hang out the night before? Let's all get dinner together! :)
i am too....just sent u a message

Last edited:
Safe travels everyone! Excited to see you guys and the new med school. Good Luck tomorrow y'all!

anyone stay at wyndham downtown, want to spilt an uber for 2mrw

Just got to San Antonio. Any other taker for tonight ? PM your number and I can add you to the group text.

Interview was great. The school and the faculty members are all nice people. If you are interviewing tommorow, my greatest tip is to just be yourself.

Reactions: 4 users