University of the Pacific Accelerated Dental Program

JChung94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first time posting in this forum. I am currently a Senior in high school. I applied to the University of Pacific's accelerated dental program, and I was accepted today. To be honest, I am not entirely sure if dentistry is the right field for me. I live in MD, so out of state tuition would be a huge burden on my parents, but they are willingly to pay for it if this school is truly a perfect match for me.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any kind of information (experiences, concerns, ect.) about their dental school, whether you are a current student or part of the accelerated program. Anything would be super helpful.

One of my questions was if the DAT was required for this accelerated program, and if there were certain GPA requirements to maintain.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sound mean but shouldn't you have researched some of these things before you applied to the program? Did you just apply because you're parents wanted you to?

1. UOP is a private university. there's no out of state rate. whether you are from california or not you pay the same rate. This applies to all their campuses. undergrad/pharmacy in stockton, law school in sacramento and dental school in SF.

2. you are required to take the DAT and get 18s or higher on all sections and a 3.25 gpa to be at least guaranteed an interview.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
This is my first time posting in this forum. I am currently a Senior in high school. I applied to the University of Pacific's accelerated dental program, and I was accepted today. To be honest, I am not entirely sure if dentistry is the right field for me. I live in MD, so out of state tuition would be a huge burden on my parents, but they are willingly to pay for it if this school is truly a perfect match for me.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any kind of information (experiences, concerns, ect.) about their dental school, whether you are a current student or part of the accelerated program. Anything would be super helpful.

One of my questions was if the DAT was required for this accelerated program, and if there were certain GPA requirements to maintain.

Thank you.

Yes, DAT is required. Like stated earlier, you must get an 18+ in every section. If you get a 17 in any section, you will have to retake. Depends for the GPA requirement. If you are getting your bachelors degree from UOP undergrad (3+3 or 4+3 program)... you must maintain a 3.05 science gpa/overall gpa. If you do not get your bachelors degree (2+3), you must maintain a 3.25 science gpa/overall gpa. or if you are a 3+3 and will finsih BS degree at UOP dental school (yes, this option is less known but offered)) you must maintain a GPA of science/overall of 3.15.

My 2 cents, if you are not sure you want to dentistry and get into a great undergrad school, I would definetly go to another school where you can better explore your options and be exposed to variety of majors. UOP program segregates you as a "pre-dental." Also, UOP science classes are VERY tough. Most people here in the program have pretty weak GPA's compared to the rest of the nation. So, you get stuck because your only option with a weak GPA is to go to UOP dental - tough to apply to other dental schools unless you are a stellar student. Hope this helped.