University of the Pacific Entering 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PharmCAS says interviews are October - March. I hope January is not the very last interview dates given.

If that's true, that's good for me thenn. I thought I was chosen for the very last seats.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email saying they are deferring my decision and I am being put on hold (did not interview with the school). Pretty sure this is a rejection :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email saying they are deferring my decision and I am being put on hold (did not interview with the school). Pretty sure this is a rejection :(

I got that too, about 2 months ago. Around 10/20 or so and I just got an interview last week so just keep up hope.

I got that too, about 2 months ago. Around 10/20 or so and I just got an interview last week so just keep up hope.

Congrats on getting an interview!!! I also received an email stating about the decision being deferred in mid December :(... I'm just curious, if you don't mind what date is your interview? Just wondering what month is the current month that are being given out for interviews (since they give interviews up until March)

Congrats on getting an interview!!! I also received an email stating about the decision being deferred in mid December :(... I'm just curious, if you don't mind what date is your interview? Just wondering what month is the current month that are being given out for interviews (since they give interviews up until March)
Thanks! The only interviews I was able to sign up for were in January so good luck to you!

Anyone interested in the dual degree PharmD/PhD? I decided to go through with this program and wanted to know if there is anyone else interested as well.

Anyone interested in the dual degree PharmD/PhD? I decided to go through with this program and wanted to know if there is anyone else interested as well.
is that a 6 year program? any easier than the PharmD program to get into?

No, they actually interview in February and March as well. I'm also interviewing on 1/30. See you there.

I'm from Tier 4. I just got an interview invitation on Monday.
oh congrats! i am tier 4 too, still haven't heard anything back. what date did you turn in all your forms?

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you're accepted... How many days do they give you to make a decision?

There are two interview dates in feb but those are open once they fill up January.

is that a 6 year program? any easier than the PharmD program to get into?

5 year program. You have to be accepted as a pharmd student first and then you apply separately for phd. not sure on how competitive it is but apparently they are only accepting 5 students per year.

Once you're accepted... How many days do they give you to make a decision?

There are two interview dates in feb but those are open once they fill up January.

Do you know if those 2 feb dates are the last dates for interviews- or do they interview up until march? Also do you happen to know those 2 dates. Thanks!

Do you know if those 2 feb dates are the last dates for interviews- or do they interview up until march? Also do you happen to know those 2 dates. Thanks!
I believe one of those two dates is feb 6

oh congrats! i am tier 4 too, still haven't heard anything back. what date did you turn in all your forms?
My file was considered complete on November 18th, so about 2 weeks before the December 1st deadline for Tier 4.

I spoke to Ms. Veronica Semler about a couple of weeks ago and she told me that they will also have interviews in February and March. They've just started reviewing the files for Tier 4 people in early January so it's still early.

Reactions: 1 user
So I had an interview on Jan 9, and based on last year's Pacific forum, people started receiving decision letters (by e-mail I think) as soon as 5-6 days after their interview. It looked like most people heard back within 2 weeks at most. Has anyone from earlier interviews gotten decision letters? If so, how long after the interview did you receive it? Thanks in advance.

So I had an interview on Jan 9, and based on last year's Pacific forum, people started receiving decision letters (by e-mail I think) as soon as 5-6 days after their interview. It looked like most people heard back within 2 weeks at most. Has anyone from earlier interviews gotten decision letters? If so, how long after the interview did you receive it? Thanks in advance.

I got my acceptance email 6 days after the interview. The acceptance packet came in the mail about 2 weeks later

I just got an e-mail saying my application was put on hold; my interview was 1/9. I thought I had competitive stats and that my interview went well, so I'm pretty disappointed. Anyone else hear back, or in a similar situation?

I just got an e-mail saying my application was put on hold; my interview was 1/9. I thought I had competitive stats and that my interview went well, so I'm pretty disappointed. Anyone else hear back, or in a similar situation?

What were your stats if you do not mind me asking?

I'm in tier 4 and haven't heard of any interview invite.. their accepting class is probably almost full :(
Well they have interviews up until late March, so you have plenty of time to get an interview. And from what I understand, the reason they put a lot of applicants on hold, is so that they still have available spots to accept people all throughout their interview process. Don'y worry about it too much, there is still a lot of time left.

GPA: 3.49
Science: 3.35
Biochemistry major
Summer of pharmacy experience

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you. I had an interview on 1/9 and was placed on hold, even though I thought I had a great interview and pretty good stats.

Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.33
B.S. Biology
1+ year of pharmacy experience

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you. I had an interview on 1/9 and was placed on hold, even though I thought I had a great interview and pretty good stats.

Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.33
B.S. Biology
1+ year of pharmacy experience
This is the way I have justified it to myself, although I may be completely wrong.

Say Pacific has 200 people they want to admit so far after interviewing them, but only 200 spots (example, not exact numbers). They obviously want to keep spots open for future interviews so that they can keep offering acceptances. So lets say that Pacific wants to save 100 spots, and give 100 admissions choosing from the pool of 200 students they already want to admit.

There will be a natural order to this group of 200, from best applicant to worst (relative). Now, if Pacific gives 100 admissions to simply the 100 best applicants of this group (best stats, best interview, etc.) then they would probably be offering a majority of admissions that will ultimately get denied, because the majority of these students will choose another school over Pacific (UCSF, USC, etc.). However, if they offer these 100 admissions to the bottom half of this group (again, relative), there is a much higher chance that this group of 100 will accept their admission.

Additionally, if Pacific offered these 100 spots to the top 100 as described initially, then a number of the "bottom 100" will choose another school if their application was put on hold (for a variety of reasons). In other words, Pacific would not only be offering acceptances that will inevitably be rejected, but also losing potential acceptances from the "bottom 100" group that would have initially accepted.

Therefore, it's smarter for Pacific to get acceptances from students who are still in their choice of students, and who will accept right away, rather than giving essentially useless acceptances to students who will ultimately decline, and lose desired students in the process.

This may be a complete over-analysis, and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who has already been accepted. I'm not saying those who were put on hold (like myself) are in any way better or "too good" for the school. I'm simply trying to remedy my disappointment in the way of a logical explanation.

This is the way I have justified it to myself, although I may be completely wrong.

Say Pacific has 200 people they want to admit so far after interviewing them, but only 200 spots (example, not exact numbers). They obviously want to keep spots open for future interviews so that they can keep offering acceptances. So lets say that Pacific wants to save 100 spots, and give 100 admissions choosing from the pool of 200 students they already want to admit.

There will be a natural order to this group of 200, from best applicant to worst (relative). Now, if Pacific gives 100 admissions to simply the 100 best applicants of this group (best stats, best interview, etc.) then they would probably be offering a majority of admissions that will ultimately get denied, because the majority of these students will choose another school over Pacific (UCSF, USC, etc.). However, if they offer these 100 admissions to the bottom half of this group (again, relative), there is a much higher chance that this group of 100 will accept their admission.

Additionally, if Pacific offered these 100 spots to the top 100 as described initially, then a number of the "bottom 100" will choose another school if their application was put on hold (for a variety of reasons). In other words, Pacific would not only be offering acceptances that will inevitably be rejected, but also losing potential acceptances from the "bottom 100" group that would have initially accepted.

Therefore, it's smarter for Pacific to get acceptances from students who are still in their choice of students, and who will accept right away, rather than giving essentially useless acceptances to students who will ultimately decline, and lose desired students in the process.

This may be a complete over-analysis, and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who has already been accepted. I'm not saying those who were put on hold (like myself) are in any way better or "too good" for the school. I'm simply trying to remedy my disappointment in the way of a logical explanation.

This is a great analysis, and I really do hope that this is the way that the admissions committee chooses their applicants. Personally, I would have accepted the offer of admission and would happily attend to UOP, but if I am not the applicant that they are looking for, then so be it. My stats are similar to yours, and I believe that we should be highly competitive with other applicants, and I am by no means trying to disrespect any fellow candidates. I just want to know the reasons that led to a "hold" status rather than waitlist or acceptance.

For the Jan 9 interview, were you informed that it'll take 1-2 weeks for a decision and if there's no response, you should call admissions?

Application submitted 12/1/14. Interview Invite today for 2/27/15

Just want to send some encouragement. I sent in my application Nov 2nd. Got my invite end of December. Interviewed Jan 16. Got the acceptance 6 days later. They are super quick and efficient in getting everyone in and out. Other places I waited 3 weeks. Dont freak out about the interview. It was incredibly relaxed and more of a conversation. Everyone is really friendly and inviting. Getting the interview is the hard part. After that its just about making them like you as a person. Be charasmatic and friendly.
Stats
Cumumlative gpa 2.8
Science gpa 3.1
BS Biochem and Molecular Bio
Pharm volunteering, officer in multiple school clubs, published pharm research.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an acceptance email from the 1/30 interview. So stoked :)

If you're going to attend UOP you should join the FB group. There's only around 20 people so far I think haha.

Does anyone know the remaining interview dates for entering class of 2015?

Another tip. Don't wear black. Everyone and their mothers wore black. Stand out. Neutral greys and blues. It will help you be more memorable in a sea of black clad prospects.

Is it permitted to take Economics as an online course?
On their website it states that science prerequisites and public speaking cannot be taken as an online course, which makes sense. But how about Economics?
Thanks!

Does anyone know where their gonna live yet (if off campus)?

Does anyone know where their gonna live yet (if off campus)?

I'm waiting till it gets closer to the start date of school so I can find a roommate on the facebook group and live off campus. On campus housing is a bit too expensive for me.