University of Toledo 2014-2015 MSBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry man. It would seem that you're in good shape though.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe try contacting Cody. His office inputs the statuses. But you're probably fine.

I finally got my acceptance email this morning! Anyone get anything today?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really a fan of posting on SDN but I got my acceptance this morning as well! I was thinking we should start a Facebook group so we could work out housing, etc. and get some camaraderie going! :)

Hey everyone! I guess they met again today. I just checked my online app and it says "applicant acceptance" so if you haven't checked today it may have changed!

Reactions: 1 user
no luck here. my status says awaiting decision.

i submitted my app like a day before deadline.

those who have received an acceptance did you guys submit your app early?

QnnaQ I submitted my application on May 6th so right near the dead line

No luck here either. Hopefully some good news soon, this wait is horrible... Congrats on getting in you guys!!!!

thanks for the responses

hoping i can find out soon so i can decide between toledo and rfums

^Actually, wondering if anyone can give any insight on the pros/cons of Toledo MSBS versus Rosalind Franklin BMS... Been weighing the two options for some time

Ugh so my app wasnt complete , I had my amcas app forwarded over which I thought replaced transcripts, now I have to mail out 7 transcripts but am currently on an international vacation for the next 2 weeks :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea when the admissions committee will be sending out another wave of acceptances?

Does anyone have any idea when the admissions committee will be sending out another wave of acceptances?

They'll be doing a second wave later this week.

Hi All!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but humor me while I ask it for the million and 1st time! Does anyone know how many people from last year's MSBS class got accepted to UTCOM? I know the average is 65% and two years ago it was 82%, but I'm not sure if things have changed.

I've been told that as long as you don't get a C you'll be ok, but I wanted to verify that info. Also, is there any reason besides getting a C that would disqualify you (aside from cheating or something like that)?

The reason I'm asking is because RFUMS said similar things about their BMS program, but this past year's acceptance rate was around 45% and they took into account the whole application, not just how well you did in the program. I'm worried that Toledo will be following this path as well since the programs are very similar...

Any info would be awesome! Thanks!

Hi All!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but humor me while I ask it for the million and 1st time! Does anyone know how many people from last year's MSBS class got accepted to UTCOM? I know the average is 65% and two years ago it was 82%, but I'm not sure if things have changed.

I've been told that as long as you don't get a C you'll be ok, but I wanted to verify that info. Also, is there any reason besides getting a C that would disqualify you (aside from cheating or something like that)?

The reason I'm asking is because RFUMS said similar things about their BMS program, but this past year's acceptance rate was around 45% and they took into account the whole application, not just how well you did in the program. I'm worried that Toledo will be following this path as well since the programs are very similar...

Any info would be awesome! Thanks!

So as far as the number from this past years class, it hasnt been posted because it technically isnt official until the end of the summer, but right now from what I can gather from Facebook I think it is around 35-40/51, so getting close to 80%. I am sure they will let us and the future MSBS students know when it is official.

As far as getting a C, I dont think it is absolutely detrimental to get a C as long as you work your butt off to make up for it take an extra class etc. However, getting a C or Cs or even non-High Pass Bs CAN be the reason you dont get in. I know of instances where people got a C and got in and of people who got all Bs and didnt so grades are kind of tricky in that respect. I recommend getting As or nearing the honor mark it makes the year go by so much smoother, trust me :) So I think grades definitely matter, but also developing a good relationship with your mentor is important, because their voice counts and can make or break the decision to let you in or not. I am a firm believer in LORs, but they can be a pain to get. Dr. Mohamed actually read my LORs and read some of them to me in my interview so they can be very influential. I think that as long as you work hard, get decent grades, and work hard to show how much you want it you will be successful. There are loads of people there rooting for you and the support is actually astounding.

So in summary, I dont think UT has a system where a single bad grade or a single mishap is going to disqualify you, it is definitely the entire package. CBC told us you do not have to be perfect, you really just have to be driven and desire to constantly be doing better and youll set yourself up for success. I, however, have no idea about the RFUMS program seeing as I only applies to Toledo, but I full heartedly recommend Toledo. Good luck either way!

hello,

if someone is an insider at UT can you please answer the following. is it possible to know where you rank among the list of applicants? essentially who is next in line to get an acceptance.

i was able to get a rank from university of cincinnati smp and was wondering if UT would do the same? this would be tremendously helpful in making a decision as to which post-bac to attend.

also can someone advise me on whether i should wait for UTs decision prior to applying to medical schools or wait until if i get accepted to put the program within my application? i really want to mention that i am attending UTs smp in my primary, but my application is ready to be submitted and i am not sure how much longer to wait.

thank you

Hey everyone, I just checked my online portal and it said "applicant accepted"!!! :soexcited: I am so excited and cant wait to meet you all soon. Good luck to all still waiting!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to apply to this program for next year if one of the prerequisite courses is going to be completed in June of 2015? Or does all coursework need to be completed before the applicant is considered?

my still says awaiting decision. i hope i find out soon so i can fill out my amcas. i am holding out till i hear back from toledo

anybody know who i can contact regarding my status

Last edited:
Does anybody know how many seats are still available?

Does anybody know how many seats are still available?

hello,

i asked ms. katie secory this question and she responded with a generic answer. pretty much they will not disclose information regarding how many seats still available or an applicant’s particular ranking on the waitlist. the status available is through the graduate application website. either you have been accepted, waiting decision, or rejected. there is no other specific information they are willing to divulge. you have to wait until your status is changed.

Another round of acceptances must have gone out Friday. Just checked mine and was accepted, so there are still spots left for those that are waiting. Good luck to those that are waiting. For those that have done the program, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Toledo only wants you to apply to their med school. Is this true? I'd like to apply to my home state schools as well.

Another round of acceptances must have gone out Friday. Just checked mine and was accepted, so there are still spots left for those that are waiting. Good luck to those that are waiting. For those that have done the program, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Toledo only wants you to apply to their med school. Is this true? I'd like to apply to my home state schools as well.

I have never heard this before. I know many people that applied to other schools while going through the MSBS program, in the fall many of us were doing secondaries and stuff. You have to apply to Toledo though so that you can be considered for admission.

@mwand552 Which other schools do people tend to get accepted to outside of Toledo?

I am not sure. I wouldnt think many people would go elsewhere after this program seeing as you probably would have to retake classes that you already took. So as an MSBS student you take 2 medical school classes and if you matriculate after the program you dont have to take them again your M1 year, where if you decided to go elsewhere you would probably have to take them again. So that aside you meet many physicians and your mentor and a lot of friends so most people stay at Toledo. I dont know of anyone who went somewhere else and I dont know if anyone got in anywhere else, but I do know a lot of people do apply elsewhere but stay in Toledo. I know thats not much help, but if I knew any other information I would definitely share!

Ok thanks! Yeah I definitely hope to go to Toledo but I am applying to a couple of other places. I wonder if anyone else knows schools that have a good connection with Toledo? Maybe all the ohio schools do

i got accepted. if anybody is looking for a roommate please pm me.

my sympathies go out to the people still waiting. i am slightly appalled at how long it is taking for some programs to make decisions, which is essentially holding students hostage to explore other options. there are more qualified applicants then spots available and that is a shame. hope everyone well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I got accepted a few weeks ago but am not sure how to go about finding a roommate! Let me know if you are looking for a roommate or know a better way to find one

has anyone registered for classes? if so what are the CRNs that you choose? i am having trouble finding some of the classes. thanks

edit: never mind i found the classes

Last edited:
Anyone still awaiting for decision? does anyone know if there is still available spots?
I know the chance must be extremely low now. :(

Anyone still awaiting for decision? does anyone know if there is still available spots?
I know the chance must be extremely low now. :(
Also still waiting... According to the Facebook group, orientation starts this Wednesday.

II this morning! First of the cycle! Good luck everyone!

Completed 2º: 7/3

What was the timeframe from interview to acceptance? Thanks!

So from what I know many people sat around a 3.3 but there are lower GPAs and some very high GPAs also in my class (I would say ranging from a ~2.8-4.0). The MCAT score that seemed most common was a 28-29. There were students below those and far above those. I know it will be difficult to gain admission with below a 3.0 (BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!!) and I have never heard of an MCAT below a 25 getting in, but that doesnt mean it couldnt happen(?). So in your application essay you should talk about why you are a good candidate and it is very important! Many of the students gaining admission that may have less than desirable stats are those with very serious and legitimate reasons to have performed poorly at some point in their academic career so I would think very carefully about how you write your essay. Some students are also simply those that are nontraditional (chose to work for a little while after undergrad and are coming back to what they really wanted to do). Just keep working hard to do well on your MCAT and write a damn good essay and it sound like you will fit pretty nicely into the criteria for the program. Good Luck! Let me know if you have other questions!

Hi mwand552 - I was wondering did most MSBS students already applying to med school while in the program? For example, were they interviewing during the program? I'm just wondering for instance if you apply to toledo med and then start the MSBS program do they wait on your decision until you finish the program??

Thanks!!!

Hi mwand552 - I was wondering did most MSBS students already applying to med school while in the program? For example, were they interviewing during the program? I'm just wondering for instance if you apply to toledo med and then start the MSBS program do they wait on your decision until you finish the program??

Thanks!!!

Most of the current MSBS students are finishing/finished our secondaries. That being said, UT waits until April/May to conduct interviews for the MSBS students. By then you have most of your grades in although you will be finishing block 3 (neuro) in mid May.

I'm planning to apply, but will be taking the new MCAT in April. Any advice regarding that? Just let them know I'll be sending the scores in before I apply? I'm from ohio, so this program would be amazing if I got into it.

I'm planning to apply, but will be taking the new MCAT in April. Any advice regarding that? Just let them know I'll be sending the scores in before I apply? I'm from ohio, so this program would be amazing if I got into it.

i am currently in the program. admissions is not on rolling basis, thus the committee looks at applications once everyone has applied.

i am not sure what advice you are looking for the MCAT, but there are plenty of study schedules and guides on SDN that should help you out.

There is no need to let the admissions committee know about your MCAT date (i am not sure if they accept MCAT scores after the deadline (May 15th?), that is something I would ask the MSBS program). As long as your application is submitted prior to the application deadline, then you will considered in equal proportion to those who applied earlier.

good luck

i am currently in the program. admissions is not on rolling basis, thus the committee looks at applications once everyone has applied.

i am not sure what advice you are looking for the MCAT, but there are plenty of study schedules and guides on SDN that should help you out.

There is no need to let the admissions committee know about your MCAT date (i am not sure if they accept MCAT scores after the deadline (May 15th?), that is something I would ask the MSBS program). As long as your application is submitted prior to the application deadline, then you will considered in equal proportion to those who applied earlier.

good luck

how many students are in the programs?

out of the 51 how many are expected to matriculate into the med school the next year

the msbs interviews are in may. the final decisions will be made in early june. I can update the thread with stats in early june.

the past two years the program has accepted 80% of MSBS students. this includes people who were wait listed and then accepted in late july early august.

the msbs interviews are in may. the final decisions will be made in early june. I can update the thread with stats in early june.

the past two years the program has accepted 80% of MSBS students. this includes people who were wait listed and then accepted in late july early august.
Not trying to be nosy, I am currently applying to the MSBS program, it would be great if you would update the thread with stats in june. Good luck to all of you. This seems to be a great program! Would you say that you feel supported at University of Toledo?

I too will be taking the MCAT in April 2015 (meaning we get our scores no earlier than June 16th). I spoke with Katie in January and this is what she said in regards to testing in April 2015:
"With the application process closing on May 31st, 2015 they usually start making decisions the second to third week in June. If you do not receive the scores until June it will make your application considered incomplete. The committee does not look at applications that are not considered complete. I’m not telling you to not apply I’m just letting you know that without your MCAT your application would not be considered complete. You are more than welcome to apply that is totally up to you. You would just have to make sure when your score from your MCAT comes available that you send an email to the College of Graduate Studies stating you need the score added to your application and then they notify us.
You will need to send the scores to the College of Graduate Studies, they will add the scores to your application and then they will let us know your application is considered complete. Yes, once we have those scores your application will be considered complete. I cannot guarantee that your application will be looked at after your scores are complete. I just know they do not look at applications that are not considered complete. The May deadline is for Fall of 2015."

Not a very direct answer. There has to be a better way for them to handle this because so many people are taking the new MCAT. Does that mean all of us taking the new test are out of luck because we're going to be past the deadline? Seems a little unfair..

Yes, Katie said something similar to me. The only difference was she made it seem like it was okay to apply given that they do not look at completed apps until the 2nd week of June. I told her that the new mcat scores would be out on June 16th and she said that that was around the time that the admissions people begin looking at completed apps. I had my advisor call also.

I just got an email from Katie:

"The only thing I can tell you is that as soon as you have access to your official score report you will need to send it to the College of Graduate Studies. Unfortunately we need the official score report for the program and it can only be official and not preliminary. Decisions are usually made starting the 2nd week of June and they make the decision in rounds. For example they accept 20 students and wait for them to answer, then they go to the next group depending on who accepted from the first group. This will happen until all 54-55 students are selected. Since classes start August 10th I’m sure acceptances will be completed by the middle of July. "

But, do they look at newly complete applications after that point? or have they already compiled a list and just invite from that list? ....sending another email..

Right! Give us some actual details. I might have to write some emails as well. Good luck!