University of Toledo and the APA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BReynolds27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone have additional information on the recent special site visit and potential sanctions to the University of Toledo's clinical psychology program due to "personality conflicts" of staff? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/2013/10/09/Infighting-imperils-UT-s-psychology-program.html

Best

Members don't see this ad.

Its shocking to think that this sort of thing could go on. Just shocking. After all, faculty in academe are always carefully screened for personality pathology by the hiring committee. This is especially true in psychology departments where faculty rarely exhibit any abnormal behavior. Plus the whole tenure granting process fosters a deep sense of collegiality and ensures that tenured faculty are held responsible for their actions. Plus putting a collection of Ph.D's together in one department and giving them tenure could never foster the emergence of Axis-II traits or endemic conflict now could it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its shocking to think that this sort of thing could go on. Just shocking. After all, faculty in academe are always carefully screened for personality pathology by the hiring committee. This is especially true in psychology departments where faculty rarely exhibit any abnormal behavior. Plus the whole tenure granting process fosters a deep sense of collegiality and ensures that tenured faculty are held responsible for their actions. Plus putting a collection of Ph.D's together in one department and giving them tenure could never foster the emergence of Axis-II traits or endemic conflict now could it.

The sarcasm is strong in this one :laugh:

Wow! I had thought about applying there because there is a faculty member with interests so close to mine, but then I saw they weren't accepting students for fall 2014.

I have some information, and all of it would suggest staying away. I have heard that the provost and president have threatened to voluntarily withdraw accreditation and that the apa will probably put them on probation this spring. They have gone through like 5 chairs in 5 years and same with DCT's. The new chair/dct is also a lawyer, which to me says watch out.