University of Toledo MSBS 2013-2014 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warriors90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't find a thread for UT. Who else is applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application. I wish they notified you earlier

does anyone know when we will hear back? Pretty frustrating they take so long to notify you.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do not start looking at applications until June 1st. Just curious, how many of you got in touch with Dr. CBC about the program and really did your research regarding it?

Also, what were your stats and why did you decide on Toledo as one of your applications?

does anyone know when we will hear back? Pretty frustrating they take so long to notify you.

"First batch of acceptances will go out by mid June"

I applied to this program 2 years and got an acceptance on May 13th (didn't go)... Don't know why it's taking longer now.

It used to be they stopped accepting in April now it's may so now they have to push acceptance back farther

anyone hear back yet?

still waiting, fingers crossed for good news soon.

Have you guys checked your online application summary? I just looked at mine today and saw that I had been accepted. I then called Angela Campbell to make sure I wasn't seeing things, and she confirmed my acceptance. Hopefully you all will receive a response soon, good luck!

Congratulations guys!

Accepted today as well

Have you guys checked your online application summary? I just looked at mine today and saw that I had been accepted. I then called Angela Campbell to make sure I wasn't seeing things, and she confirmed my acceptance. Hopefully you all will receive a response soon, good luck!

Nice, congrats guys! Nothing here, still says complete-awaiting decision.

Hoping for good news soon though :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received my acceptance this afternoon!

Anyone looking for roommates?

I want to create a facebook group but you need at least one other person.

I'm also looking for a roomate (female); I'm going to be heading up to Toledo to search for apartments so the sooner the better!

catelynG- I would be willing to start a FB group with you, what would I need to do?

CONGRATS! for those of you accepted and if you don't mind, could you tell us your stats just to get an idea of who's getting accepted? thanks!

I was also accepted as of two days ago, congrats to everyone! I am from Toledo if anyone needs any advice or anything !

A facebook group would be great.

I'm in too! Just got my acceptance today, although I'm sure they posted it yesterday (the one day I haven't checked in the past three or so weeks). 99.9% sure I'll be attending...can't wait to meet you guys! :soexcited:

has anyone gotten rejected or waitlisted? Trying to figure out how they are posting decisions. I'm still stuck at "Complete-Awaiting Decision". Really want to get in!

Last edited:
They are being looked at every 2 weeks according to my sources and more will be looked at this friday and be sent out. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I have just been accepted but I do have some concerns. Anyone have any info on the chances of getting into the MD program? I see that about 75-80 % have gotten in the last couple of years, but how heavily weighted is how we do in the coursework? Is it possible to be one of the best students, and still not get in, even with a "solid" interview? Just curious if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I have just been accepted but I do have some concerns. Anyone have any info on the chances of getting into the MD program? I see that about 75-80 % have gotten in the last couple of years, but how heavily weighted is how we do in the coursework? Is it possible to be one of the best students, and still not get in, even with a "solid" interview? Just curious if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Thanks!

Got in as well and as far as numbers are concerned. I think out of the ~52 students in the program, 40-45 got into the medical school. I think that is always a possibility but those type of students may have gotten in elsewhere so don't worry about anomalies. The coursework is what they basically look at. Remember, we are here to prove to them and to ourselves that we can handle medical school coursework. Show them.

There will always be students who don't get in for SOME reason even if they had an amazing interview and solid grades in the program but I think with an acceptance rate of 70-80%, if you are one of the top students, I wouldn't sweat it.

Got in as well and as far as numbers are concerned. I think out of the ~52 students in the program, 40-45 got into the medical school. I think that is always a possibility but those type of students may have gotten in elsewhere so don't worry about anomalies. The coursework is what they basically look at. Remember, we are here to prove to them and to ourselves that we can handle medical school coursework. Show them.

There will always be students who don't get in for SOME reason even if they had an amazing interview and solid grades in the program but I think with an acceptance rate of 70-80%, if you are one of the top students, I wouldn't sweat it.

Thank you very much! I am pretty confident that I can do well, but I still have that things from the past would come back to haunt me (nothing serious, grades/W's etc). I think this is worth a shot :D

Congratulations to those who have heard back, so far!

I'm still waiting, myself, but I wanted to check how you're all finding out. Are you receiving e-mails, or do you have to check the site?

Thanks for the info!

Congratulations to those who have heard back, so far!

I'm still waiting, myself, but I wanted to check how you're all finding out. Are you receiving e-mails, or do you have to check the site?

Thanks for the info!

I think the online portal. I'm waiting myself, really want good news soon, I hate how we have to wait this long...especially since housing and stuff takes time. Oh well hopefully we can hear some good news tomorrow :luck:

Hi guys. I found out through the portal, then I think the letter should take a few days to show up. The class will not be final for a while so keep checking!

Hi guys. I found out through the portal, then I think the letter should take a few days to show up. The class will not be final for a while so keep checking!

Great, thank you for the heads-up!

Hey yall. So, I was planning on attending Toledo, but I just got off the waitlist at Tufts, which is great…except now I have to decide between that and Toledo. Something about rejecting Tufts to go for the more “guaranteed” route just doesn’t sit well with me. However, stats aren’t stellar at all (I repeated 2 courses, so 2.962 cGPA and 2.82 sGPA if you include the repeated grades, and a 30 MCAT). I mean I have to kick ass no matter where I go. Would I just be shooting myself in the foot if I go to Tufts and pass up Toledo's awesome UTCOM acceptance rate? I just feel like Tufts would open the door to more options instead of sealing my fate for the next 5+ years at Toledo. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

You'd be lucky to get into any allopathic school with those grades and scores. I've seen a lot of Tufts alumni with way better GPAs and MCATs not get into any allopathic schools.

IMO you should be going DO.

Does anyone know whether orientation is mandatory or whether it could be done online?

Does anyone know whether orientation is mandatory or whether it could be done online?

Not too sure as we haven't been given any information on it but here is last year's information/schedule and it doesn't say mandatory but there seem to be some important things on there that you wouldn't want to miss.

Edit: and orientation is usually a few days before classes start so you might as well be in Toledo for it or we can all stream it live for you haha

http://www.utoledo.edu/graduate/files/Med_Sci_Orientation_Agenda.pdf

Last edited:
So you're thinking I won't even have a chance after the Toledo MSBS? Interesting...

Disagree with the other poster's assessment. Toledo has a historically high linkage rate for their SMP graduates (I believe it's around 80%?). Your SMP grades will be the primary determinant of your acceptance to medical school. Typically, however, sub-3.0 GPAs have very low odds at non-linkage schools.

Disagree with the other poster's assessment. Toledo has a historically high linkage rate for their SMP graduates (I believe it's around 80%?). Your SMP grades will be the primary determinant of your acceptance to medical school. Typically, however, sub-3.0 GPAs have very low odds at non-linkage schools.

This is correct.

Not too sure as we haven't been given any information on it but here is last year's information/schedule and it doesn't say mandatory but there seem to be some important things on there that you wouldn't want to miss.

Edit: and orientation is usually a few days before classes start so you might as well be in Toledo for it or we can all stream it live for you haha

http://www.utoledo.edu/graduate/files/Med_Sci_Orientation_Agenda.pdf

Thanks! Where did you find that? Looks worth going to for sure!

Thanks! Where did you find that? Looks worth going to for sure!

Just searched for cell and molecular bio on google and I found different orientations for different years but they're all very similar. Definitely worth going in my opinion.

So you're thinking I won't even have a chance after the Toledo MSBS? Interesting...

I said that I've seen a lot of Tufts alumni with better grades/scores not get into any MD schools.

But generally speaking, I believe that you should go DO, especially with grade repeats. Your GPA could very well be a 2.6 or lower without grade repeats. Grade repeats also don't count for AMCAS or MD schools. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, or not.

Anyhow, the Toledo SMP has a high matriculation rate, yes, but that route isn't guaranteed. And, if your grades aren't very good now, what makes you think that you've got what it takes to beat medical students? I believe that grades are the end result of learning how to invest yourself, make personal sacrifices, and spend time doing things you probably don't want to do. You haven't even said what your grade trend is, what school you went to, or what you majored in. Some people have lousy GPAs that went to hard schools and majored in engineering or difficult sciences; others went to easy schools and majored in music or evolution and ecology.

Further, there are linkage SMPs at DO schools where you wouldn't be accepted with those grades and scores. Check out the thread on Touro CA, here. Check out Western's MSMS thread, while you're at it. I don't mean to be negative, but seriously, your grades are low, even for low-tier SMPs.

EDIT: I felt a little harsh after writing the above. What I'm trying to say is what happens if you don't get into Toledo's SOM? You're two years behind with nothing to show for it except debt. Medical schools look at bad SMP performances as game ending. With your GPA, you should absolutely avoid being disillusioned about getting into an allopathic school. Being a DO isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Anyone looking for male roommates? Myself and another student are looking for a third to rent out a 3rd bedroom. Get onto the facebook page or message me!

Thanks!

Still waiting :cool:

Hopefully you'll find out this week when they send us our information packets but I would call or email Lauren Clarke/Angie Campbell to see when you'll find out. Usually it's on a thursday when they update the online portal so call those two secretarial ladies and make sure you get in so you can room with us haha

Edit: what were your stats and did they tell you anything/have you contacted them before?

Hopefully you'll find out this week when they send us our information packets but I would call or email Lauren Clarke/Angie Campbell to see when you'll find out. Usually it's on a thursday when they update the online portal so call those two secretarial ladies and make sure you get in so you can room with us haha

Yeah dude I actually emailed Dr. Bennett-Clarke and she said they are waiting for about 20 ppl to respond to their decision and send out the final decisions in about 10 days--I really wanna go here!

Yeah dude I actually emailed Dr. Bennett-Clarke and she said they are waiting for about 20 ppl to respond to their decision and send out the final decisions in about 10 days--I really wanna go here!

Dr. CBC won't really tell you much. When was that email she sent to you?

Talk to her secretaries as they know more about who has responded and what not.

Dr. CBC won't really tell you much. When was that email she sent to you?

Talk to her secretaries as they know more about who has responded and what not.

I emailed her yesterday and she responded in 10 minutes. you think the secretaries will give me a better estimate?

I emailed her yesterday and she responded in 10 minutes. you think the secretaries will give me a better estimate?

Si senor. Sometimes I hear kids get in days before orientation as well. :/

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope one of you on the waitlist gets it!!

To everyone that was accepted, congratulations! I was just wondering if any of you could provide your fellow undergrads statistics and GPA/MCAT we should aim for to be competitive to get into this MSBS program in 2014-2015? Thanks!