University of Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjaminl1nus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all's applying?! Application is out January 1, I believe.

Admission is non-rolling.

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP. Working on application this week. Since it's non-rolling, I don't have much motivation to complete it as yet...

Well, here we are again....

Just started the application for this program, but the application itself is a bit of a jumbled mess and without a rolling admission I don't have much motivation to polish it off right now. Have you finished yours yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Barely started. No motivation to complete it for the same reasons...hehe

Do you guys think someone with about a 3.25 GPA and a 28 MCAT would have a decent shot at getting into this program? That's where I'm at. I double majored and one of my majors was computer science, and the computer science courses are what really lowered my GPA for whatever that's worth. Any thoughts on my chances? I've takes to Dr. Clark a couple of times and I've tried to do all the things she has recommended.

Do you guys think someone with about a 3.25 GPA and a 28 MCAT would have a decent shot at getting into this program? That's where I'm at. I double majored and one of my majors was computer science, and the computer science courses are what really lowered my GPA for whatever that's worth. Any thoughts on my chances? I've takes to Dr. Clark a couple of times and I've tried to do all the things she has recommended.

You're sitting close to the average for this program 3.43gpa/28.6 MCAT, so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibilities. Scores are important, but they aren't the only factor, and most programs recognize the difficulty involved in a double major, I'd think as long as you write a good essay and have some solid LoR you'd have a fair shake. Is that your only MCAT or have you taken it more than once?

If you don't mind my asking what did Dr. Clark recommend? Assuming of course it wasn't all so personalized to you that it wouldn't be of any use to know.

You know what, as long as i'm here I think I'm gonna complain about their application a bit more, I mean, would it really take that much effort to have an application tailored to the program instead of using a general form for all of their graduate programs? I have 3 undergrad schools to enter it doesn't even list them after I enter them, which could be a bit of an issue since I started the application once back in early November and might have entered all the schools then :confused:

Yep, prolly just gonna start a new app whenever I submit this...

You know what, as long as i'm here I think I'm gonna complain about their application a bit more, I mean, would it really take that much effort to have an application tailored to the program instead of using a general form for all of their graduate programs? I have 3 undergrad schools to enter it doesn't even list them after I enter them, which could be a bit of an issue since I started the application once back in early November and might have entered all the schools then :confused:

Yep, prolly just gonna start a new app whenever I submit this...

I hear you, I have three undergrad schools as well and I'm kind of surprised that there is no section for extracurricular stuff you know. Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words. I really am hoping they take into account I earned a computer science degree from umich. I think my LOR's and my statement are pretty solid. And I only took the MCAT once. Anyway, Dr. Clark just told me to try to take more upper level science courses and do well in them. I only ended up taking one upper level bio course and I did fairly decent (B+). That was the only real advice she gave me other than to continue with research and volunteering which I did.

I am applying as well!
I hope that we're all accepted!

I've submitted my application. I know I'm way ahead of the game especially with non rolling admission. I just like to be on top of things. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
I've submitted my application. I know I'm way ahead of the game especially with non rolling admission. I just like to be on top of things. Good luck to everyone.
Awesome! I need to be like you!

Did you (Or anyone else out there) find an actual prompt to respond to for the personal statement? I can get the gist of what they are looking for based on their description of the program, but I can't find an actual prompt anywhere online. Closest thing I saw was a sentence saying that you shouldn't use your medschool statement because your "career goals" are different or some such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you (Or anyone else out there) find an actual prompt to respond to for the personal statement? I can get the gist of what they are looking for based on their description of the program, but I can't find an actual prompt anywhere online. Closest thing I saw was a sentence saying that you shouldn't use your medschool statement because your "career goals" are different or some such.

I basically just tried to focus on a couple of core questions and answer those questions as completely and concisely as possible. Things like why do I want to do medicine? What specifically do I want to do in medicine? Why should they choose me for this program? That kind of stuff. Just keep those questions in mind when writing your statement and you should be fine.

Just FYI for everyone, they send you an email confirming your application is complete once they process all of your application materials. Keep on them until you get that email.

How long did you make your personal statement? I am looking at a page and a half.

How long did you make your personal statement? I am looking at a page and a half.
I tried to keep mine a page max. But you could probably do more if you wanted to.

Hey all, I'm in the MSBS program this year and I'd be happy to answer your questions, seeing as the class before me did the same and it helped me a ton. Just trying to pay it forward!

Some things I noticed:

-those grades are averages but there are people with alot of variation, so nothing around those is out of bounds for this program
-your personal statements should talk about why you want to pursue this specific program, and what caused you to falter in undergrad and how you plan to change it for this program and going into medical school

Reactions: 3 users
I know it says 3 letters or recommendation are required. Will I be penalized for sending 4?

Im interested in applying to this program, but unable to find information about this specific program. Can someone paste a link for the MSBS program? Also, when is the deadline to submit the application?

Hey all, I'm in the MSBS program this year and I'd be happy to answer your questions, seeing as the class before me did the same and it helped me a ton. Just trying to pay it forward!

Some things I noticed:

-those grades are averages but there are people with alot of variation, so nothing around those is out of bounds for this program
-your personal statements should talk about why you want to pursue this specific program, and what caused you to falter in undergrad and how you plan to change it for this program and going into medical school

I have a couple questions for you if you wouldn't mind!

1) My permanent residence is in Michigan..do you know any out of state people in the MSBS program that switched residences in order to get in-state tuition for the MD program? I love what I have seen from this program but the price tag for the UT med school is really high out of state.

2) How in-depth is research for MSBS students? Do students normally get a good amount of flexibility in choosing an area of research to pursue?

3) Did you feel that there was there a good support system from professors/administrators helping you do well and move toward admission to the MD school?

4) Is it true that you do not have to retake any "med school" classes completed during the MSBS program? If so, would this shave off a semester or just lighten the overall class load?

Thanks so much I really appreciate the offer to answer questions!

1) My permanent residence is in Michigan..do you know any out of state people in the MSBS program that switched residences in order to get in-state tuition for the MD program? I love what I have seen from this program but the price tag for the UT med school is really high out of state.

2) How in-depth is research for MSBS students? Do students normally get a good amount of flexibility in choosing an area of research to pursue?

3) Did you feel that there was there a good support system from professors/administrators helping you do well and move toward admission to the MD school?

4) Is it true that you do not have to retake any "med school" classes completed during the MSBS program? If so, would this shave off a semester or just lighten the overall class load?

Irishmob, no problem!

1) I have heard of people doing that here, but I also know it's gotten alot more difficult the past year. I'm in state so I'm sorry I don't know specifics on how you would go about doing that.

2) You can choose from many different types of research, from clinical to bench work to literature reviews. So I'd say it is very flexible! As far as how in-depth it is, you do need to present your project as well as submit around a 20 page paper. Most of your work toward research you won't have to worry about till later on in the year though, and UT does a great job prepping MSBS students for it.

3) The support here is far better than anything I expected, I know my classmates would agree.

4) This is true, but you still have to take other classes in those semesters you wouldn't take as an MSBS student. It does take alot of work off your shoulders, but you'd still need to be at school for that time. You can't just take a 3 month vacation, unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

If you get into MSBS with a low MCAT will a low MCAT hinder our chances into getting into the med school?

I'm Michigan too woooh

If you get into MSBS with a low MCAT will a low MCAT hinder our chances into getting into the med school?
It seems that, if your score is good enough to get you into the MSBS program, it can get you into the med school. I've read previous years threads about this, don't worry!

I would not retake, this new mcat looks interesting.

It seems that, if your score is good enough to get you into the MSBS program, it can get you into the med school. I've read previous years threads about this, don't worry!

@QnnaQ
This is true, but keep in mind that most people doing SMP's are doing it with a low GPA/high MCAT combo. But, from what I understand, once you're in the most important thing is how well you do in the program, so if you can get in and do well that 27 will be less of an issue.

You also might want to keep in mind, some schools won't take scores older than 3 years (some do 5, some less) so not retaking will cut your field of potential schools down a bit. (Not that I hold it against anyone for not wanting to take the new test; 6 hours long? No thank you.)

Good point reaperx58, I guess I was only thinking of UToledo for medical school.

On the program info page there's a little blurb about if you have already applied to UT's med program you can have those records released to the MSBS program, does anyone know what exactly they take from that? I would assume transcripts and MCAT, but do you think they look at the other stuff that was part of your amcas app like LoR and EC's as well?

Here's a follow up to my last post in case anyone is curious in the future. The assistant to the program director finally got back to me with the following response:

"I first want to thank you for your interest in the MSBS-MS program at the University of Toledo. You will need to email[email protected] to give them permission to access your medical school application. When you send this email it allows the AMCAS that can be used as resume, letters of recommendation and your MCAT requirements. You will need to complete the application, new statement of purpose, request official transcripts and the transcripts can be sent to the address below."

So it looks like releasing your amcas app gives them everything but personal statement and, the only thing I was really hoping it would give them, transcripts.

Hey all, it looks like iceman08 beat me to the punch, but i'm also a current MSBSer and thought it would be nice to revisit this thread and offer what I can.

my stats: 32 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, scant volunteer experience. I was accepted on my first attempt in late july. hopefully that will help someone with similar stats.

I'll avoid re-answering iceman08's questions, because i agree with what he said. however, i will add that Michigan residents were specifically instructed how and when to change their residence to Ohio. the rules have just recently changed about that though and i'm not entirely sure how they changed. also be aware that depending on where you are from in Michigan you may not need to change residence. I heard that certain boarder counties get in-state tuition at UT. that might be something to look into as well.

i'll try to answer questions if you have any!

@Iceman08
@CertioremFacere

Hey guys, thanks for stopping by this thread! I actually have some questions if you don't mind.

1) I know the linkage in this program is strong, so many people end up going to UTCOM. But I was wondering if people apply to other medical schools, and make it into those schools as well, within the first year. Does the program offer any sort of grade update to those other medical schools - the way the Georgetown SMP does?

2) What is Toledo like? Is there anything to do there? How is the social life? I am 10+ hours away from Toledo, and from a very urban area, so just wondering.

@Iceman08
@CertioremFacere

Hey guys, thanks for stopping by this thread! I actually have some questions if you don't mind.

1) I know the linkage in this program is strong, so many people end up going to UTCOM. But I was wondering if people apply to other medical schools, and make it into those schools as well, within the first year. Does the program offer any sort of grade update to those other medical schools - the way the Georgetown SMP does?

2) What is Toledo like? Is there anything to do there? How is the social life? I am 10+ hours away from Toledo, and from a very urban area, so just wondering.

1) yes the linkage is strong and i'm sure you've heard the statistic of ~80% matriculation into UTCOM and yes people apply elsewhere, we have had 2 or 3 people drop out of the program since its start to accept offers from other schools. also, from talking with my PI who is familiar with the program she said that last year one of the people working in her lab accepted an offer at Ohio State instead of accepting her offer at UTCOM. that's about all i can say with regard to acceptance into other medical schools. they don't keep stats on those that do not accept at UTCOM unfortunately. I'm unsure about any kind of grade update. that'd be something to ask katie ([email protected]) to make certain.

2) toledo is a fine place with plenty to do as long as you aren't expecting a "college town" type of atmosphere.
-fishing
-lots of parks for running/biking
-the toledo zoo
-all the social activities that any other city offers (bars, malls, movies, etc.)
-the mudhens (the detroit tigers AAA team, baseball)
-the walleyes (AA hockey team)
-the huntington center has big name concerts/other events
-main campus has a decent three level gym and health science campus (where you'd be for all classes) has a subpar gym, but you'd have access to both with your full-time status.

i've been in toledo for the past 6 years and i'd say it's definitely not a party town, but you won't be bored if you don't want to be. Also, MSBSers and M1s share a social facebook page and it's usually full of events, social and school related. That being said, you're not going to have a whole heck of a lot of time to play lol.

Does anyone know if the MSBS admissions committee will see our medical school applications (if we applied to Toledo)? I want them to see my research, volunteering, etc. If they have access to that information, I won't include too much of it in my statement. If they don't, it'll change the content of my personal essay.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this program versus the MS in physiology at UM? I was recently admitted to the UM one and I'm just trying to determine how seriously I should consider accepting that offer. Thanks.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this program versus the MS in physiology at UM? I was recently admitted to the UM one and I'm just trying to determine how seriously I should consider accepting that offer. Thanks.
depends on your stats!

if you're a low-gpa/high mcat person then do the Toledo program, as it will be the surest way into an MD school. If you're stats are pretty good and you want to try your hand at some graduate physiology work, then UM is the place for you. It won't necessarily help your application into med school like UT's program will.

Does anyone know if the MSBS admissions committee will see our medical school applications (if we applied to Toledo)? I want them to see my research, volunteering, etc. If they have access to that information, I won't include too much of it in my statement. If they don't, it'll change the content of my personal essay.

They only see it if you email them and give authorization to access it. I've got a post further up the page with the e-mail address.

1) yes the linkage is strong and i'm sure you've heard the statistic of ~80% matriculation into UTCOM and yes people apply elsewhere, we have had 2 or 3 people drop out of the program since its start to accept offers from other schools. also, from talking with my PI who is familiar with the program she said that last year one of the people working in her lab accepted an offer at Ohio State instead of accepting her offer at UTCOM. that's about all i can say with regard to acceptance into other medical schools. they don't keep stats on those that do not accept at UTCOM unfortunately. I'm unsure about any kind of grade update. that'd be something to ask katie ([email protected]) to make certain.

2) toledo is a fine place with plenty to do as long as you aren't expecting a "college town" type of atmosphere.
-fishing
-lots of parks for running/biking
-the toledo zoo
-all the social activities that any other city offers (bars, malls, movies, etc.)
-the mudhens (the detroit tigers AAA team, baseball)
-the walleyes (AA hockey team)
-the huntington center has big name concerts/other events
-main campus has a decent three level gym and health science campus (where you'd be for all classes) has a subpar gym, but you'd have access to both with your full-time status.

i've been in toledo for the past 6 years and i'd say it's definitely not a party town, but you won't be bored if you don't want to be. Also, MSBSers and M1s share a social facebook page and it's usually full of events, social and school related. That being said, you're not going to have a whole heck of a lot of time to play lol.

Thank you so much for your post; it was super helpful!

Hey guys I'm applying to the msbs program this year....if there is anyone on this thread that is in the msbs program currently or has already been through it I want to ask you guys what are the chances of a student with a high gpa/low mcat combo to get in. Does anybody know anyone who has been admitted with a low mcat between a 25-27?

When do you guys think we will start hearing decisions? Mid June?

Hey guys I'm applying to the msbs program this year....if there is anyone on this thread that is in the msbs program currently or has already been through it I want to ask you guys what are the chances of a student with a high gpa/low mcat combo to get in. Does anybody know anyone who has been admitted with a low mcat between a 25-27?

high GPA/low MCAT: that's a hard question to answer. i don't actually know my classmate's stats and i was a low GPA/high MCAT applicant. however, in conversation with some classmates it has been hinted that they perceived their MCATs to be a lower score. I realize that doesn't really answer your question but this program is designed to "educate and train graduate students... and potentially improve their academic credentials for applying to medical school." it doesn't say the MSBS program is specifically for low GPA/high MCAT applicants and i've never gotten that impression. i'd say your chances are just as good as an applicant with the equivalent reverse of your stats.

people have definitely been admitted in the 25-27 range.

Last edited:
do you think that they will accept another mcat score in mid-july?

I recently got an e-mail stating that my application is complete, and to give the program several weeks to make a decision before contacting them. I got this e-mail in late April, so does this mean I could potentially get a decision in late May? Because that would be great!