University of Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so last year 85% of the class was accepted to the med school but historically the number tends to be around 65%. why was last year's figure so high? is Toledo trending towards maintaining a high linkage rate or was last year an anomaly?

I have my heart set on RFU's program, it's hard to turn down an 85% chance of getting in to the med school

As someone who was recently accepted into RFU medical school through the RFU BMS program I would advise you to choose whichever school you like better. I had applied and was accepted to both the RFU BMS and Toledo MSBS program last year and I chose the RFU program mainly because I wanted to be in Chicago and I wanted to do EM (Cook County has the best EM residency in the country). Attending RFU BMS will give you every opportunity to get accepted into the RFU medical school and many of my fellow classmates have been accepted. The school is extremely supportive of the BMS program and they definitely want all their students to succeed. From what I had heard when applying, the linkage rates were about the same for RFU and Toledo at 65% for both schools historically. Obviously, some years the linkage can be higher or lower based on the individual class success. I think you should base your decision on whichever school you would like to attend rather than past linkage rates. In the end it comes down to your own performance which determines whether you will get into medical schoool or not.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when the next wave of acceptances will be sent out?

Reactions: 1 user
first time posting. I also applied here and from what i heard from a person who did the program this year, everybody (or almost everyone) got into toledo med school. I believe just about all of there interviews ended about a month ago. I called in today and they said they will be meeting some time next week to make decisions, and hope to have everything complete by mid-July.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
first time posting. I also applied here and from what i heard from a person who did the program this year, everybody (or almost everyone) got into toledo med school. I believe just about all of there interviews ended about a month ago. I called in today and they said they will be meeting some time next week to make decisions, and hope to have everything complete by mid-July.

Can confirm, also called in today. They will be making the set of decisions by the end of next week and hope to finalize the class by mid July. Decisions were slightly delayed because the program director, Dr. Carol Bennett-Clarke, is out of town.

Reactions: 1 users
interesting, I was hoping since the first wave of acceptances came out 2 weeks ago, that there would be more movement by now, but i guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed!

I'm beyond frustrated. I had my application in and ready to go, however my transcript hasn't arrived. I had it sent twice and for some reason, they aren't getting it. I don't even know if it's worth having it overnighted via FedEx at this point... my application is still considered incomplete because of this. Can't believe this is happening..

Does anyone know approximately how many MSBS students are in each class? Looking forward to meeting some of my classmates! :)

I'm beyond frustrated. I had my application in and ready to go, however my transcript hasn't arrived. I had it sent twice and for some reason, they aren't getting it. I don't even know if it's worth having it overnighted via FedEx at this point... my application is still considered incomplete because of this. Can't believe this is happening..

if your school can send electronic copies, you should have them email it to the toledo graduate office. its a much faster process and ensures they get your transcript.

if your school can send electronic copies, you should have them email it to the toledo graduate office. its a much faster process and ensures they get your transcript.
Yeah I wish they could send them electronically, but they don't. However, I just got an email from Toledo saying that they just received it! Can't believe it took a week and a half and the schools are only 3 hours apart. But nonetheless, as slim as my chances are at this point, I might possibly have a tiny chance hahahaaaa, ugh. Miracles happen..right? Lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yeah I wish they could send them electronically, but they don't. However, I just got an email from Toledo saying that they just received it! Can't believe it took a week and a half and the schools are only 3 hours apart. But nonetheless, as slim as my chances are at this point, I might possibly have a tiny chance hahahaaaa, ugh. Miracles happen..right? Lol

Hey MBH0421,
I see from your previous posts that you took the new MCAT. How did you do on it? Do you mind private messaging me your stats? Around what score do you think there going to want?

Hey MBH0421,
I see from your previous posts that you took the new MCAT. How did you do on it? Do you mind private messaging me your stats? Around what score do you think there going to want?
For sure!

@Flashboy11 @MBH0421 - I took the new mcat as well! Can I get in on this? I will private message you guys if so...I called Ms. Katie Secory and she did not know what scores they were looking for on the new test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beware! MSBS class 2014-2015 just got shafted. The program is hugely misrepresented!

Can you elaborate? I just accepted my spot in the MSBS class about a week ago..
They advertised over 80% acceptance rate to the med school. Only 20% of this year's MSBM students got accepted. There may be legal action brewing.

They advertised over 80% acceptance rate to the med school. Only 20% of this year's MSBM students got accepted. There may be legal action brewing.
Well that's great.... now I have no idea what to do. Sorry to hear that!

Well that's great.... now I have no idea what to do. Sorry to hear that!
I'm asking my friend that just finished the program, waiting on his text back. I'll let you know if he confirms this

Current MSBS student here. I can confirm what smartypants01 said. Throughout the entire year we were told that they have enough spots for everyone to get in pending their grades and interview. We were also told that we have two options 1)accepted and 2) wait listed. Last year 80% of the class was accepted into UTCOM with about 15 off of the wait list.

We received emails today. 10 students were accepted for this year. 15-20 received a forced deferred acceptance to start in 2016. The rest of the class was rejected.

Obviously this is frustrating for us but I'm concerned for the incoming class. 20 spots that could have been for your class are already taken this years class.

If I had known there was a 20% chance then I sure as hell would not have participated in this program.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Reactions: 4 users
Holy hell. That's shocking. Thank you for your input. Hopefully you were one of the 10.

If true then Toledo's program just destroyed their reputation. To any administrators listening.... Well done!

Reactions: 3 users
Just heard from my friend. He confirmed all of this as well. He was one of the 10 admitted this fall thankfully. Can't believe this all happened, so crazy.

Looks like my backup plan might not be happening after all. I definitely think something is going on. I interviewed at the med school, was told my the dean herself that I was high priority...I accepted my MSBS position and the same day, 45 minutes later was rejected from the medical school. Even if my MSBS acceptance has no weight on the status of my med school admission, it still doesn't seem like someone "high priority" should get the boot in June.

Looks like my backup plan might not be happening after all. I definitely think something is going on. I interviewed at the med school, was told my the dean herself that I was high priority...I accepted my MSBS position and the same day, 45 minutes later was rejected from the medical school. Even if my MSBS acceptance has no weight on the status of my med school admission, it still doesn't seem like someone "high priority" should get the boot in June.
This is all so fishy.. I'm sorry this is happening to you. If you do go into the msbs, and do well, I'm sure you'd get in for 2016.

Current MSBS student here. I can confirm what smartypants01 said. Throughout the entire year we were told that they have enough spots for everyone to get in pending their grades and interview. We were also told that we have two options 1)accepted and 2) wait listed. Last year 80% of the class was accepted into UTCOM with about 15 off of the wait list.

We received emails today. 10 students were accepted for this year. 15-20 received a forced deferred acceptance to start in 2016. The rest of the class was rejected.

Obviously this is frustrating for us but I'm concerned for the incoming class. 20 spots that could have been for your class are already taken this years class.

If I had known there was a 20% chance then I sure as hell would not have participated in this program.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.
Well, that knocks them off the "special" smp list.

Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiousity, anyone withdrawing their acceptance due to this news?

"That is a question that you would need to ask the medical school admissions about. Unfortunately, I don’t work for the medical school admissions office so I cannot say for sure. I would hope that this information would be shared but at this time I’m not sure."

"That is a question that you would need to ask the medical school admissions about. Unfortunately, I don’t work for the medical school admissions office so I cannot say for sure. I would hope that this information would be shared but at this time I’m not sure."
I find it hard to believe that she's completely unaware of what's going on. We'll see if admissions gives a similarly obtuse answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, that seems like the safe answer but not the whole truth.
@janebear1 - thanks for posting and it does seem fishy that 45 minutes after you accepted your msbs offer, you were rejected from the medical school. If anything, I thought you'd be one of the first to get off of the wait list and decline the seat in the msbs program.
This is all quite frustrating and confusing.

Yeah, that seems like the safe answer but not the whole truth.
@janebear1 - thanks for posting and it does seem fishy that 45 minutes after you accepted your msbs offer, you were rejected from the medical school. If anything, I thought you'd be one of the first to get off of the wait list and decline the seat in the msbs program.
This is all quite frustrating and confusing.
It just goes to show that SMPs with linkage are increasingly a thing of the past.

It just goes to show that SMPs with linkage are increasingly a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, today's announcement is looking like the death knell of the linkage SMPs. Toledo's linkage is way down, RFU's is below 50%, UCinn is below 50%, EVMS is expanding their class size and is down below 50%, and Georgetown's, Tufts', BU's same year linkages were all never great to begin with. This is terrible, I have to rethink what my next move will be... I really feel for @Polacko13 @smartypants01 and the rest of their class. It sounds like they were completely blindsided :(

Unfortunately, today's announcement is looking like the death knell of the linkage SMPs. Toledo's linkage is way down, RFU's is below 50%, UCinn is below 50%, EVMS is expanding their class size and is down below 50%, and Georgetown's, Tufts', BU's same year linkages were all never great to begin with. This is terrible, I have to rethink what my next move will be... I really feel for @Polacko13 @smartypants01 and the rest of their class. It sounds like they were completely blindsided :(
The numbers are still good for smp graduates getting into a med school.

Interesting information. Kind of strange that all these schools would drop so suddenly

Interesting information. Kind of strange that all these schools would drop so suddenly
Not strange at all when they simultaneously lower standards and increase the class size. That's not the case here, but for many of the other schools it is.

Not strange at all when they simultaneously lower standards and increase the class size. That's not the case here, but for many of the other schools it is.

The only school that expanded class size is EVMS. All the others just reduced their same year linkages while keeping class size roughly the same.

The only school that expanded class size is EVMS. All the others just reduced their same year linkages while keeping class size roughly the same.
Ah. The end result is the same, less med school seats available

Wow, I'm speechless.

I might have to make a few calls to verify, but I am SUPER glad I held onto my acceptance from RFU's BMS program at this point.

They normally have about 50 kids in their class, right? Do you guys think that they might only take 20 to 30 in this years msbs class to account for the 20 seats that are already taken in the 2016 med school class?

They normally have about 50 kids in their class, right? Do you guys think that they might only take 20 to 30 in this years msbs class to account for the 20 seats that are already taken in the 2016 med school class?
If all of the above is true, I would be surprised if even that happened.

I don't what the heck is going on with the acceptances this year...but if this is true then UT has really lost its reputation. That is truly an unfair thing to do.

on a bunch of ohio school waitlists, so this was going to be my plan B. anyone get a decent answer from the admissions office or anything about how this happened? please PM me if you don't want to post here. the info would really help.

@DrMidlife called this a while ago. Not this SMP specifically, but the general pattern.

Somebody with the MSAR: pull the number of applicants this med school has had in the last few years. Most likely they went from ~2500 to over 5000, which is what has happened at every school "discovered" to be less difficult to get into. No need to pull from the risky MSBS program pool when you have boatloads of unsullied Californians happy to pay OOS tuition. Ohio has been very serious about incentivizing OOS applicants by allowing students to get legal residency without the job/lease/licensing requirements of other states.

If anybody wants to think like an economist here, the existence of SMPs may have established the "market" of low GPA med school applicants. The scarcity of med school seats relative to the increase in normal applicants year on year has made that a seller's market. Big time.

Somebody with the MSAR: pull the number of applicants this med school has had in the last few years. Most likely they went from ~2500 to over 5000, which is what has happened at every school "discovered" to be less difficult to get into. No need to pull from the risky MSBS program pool when you have boatloads of unsullied Californians happy to pay OOS tuition. Ohio has been very serious about incentivizing OOS applicants by allowing students to get legal residency without the job/lease/licensing requirements of other states.

If anybody wants to think like an economist here, the existence of SMPs may have established the "market" of low GPA med school applicants. The scarcity of med school seats relative to the increase in normal applicants year on year has made that a seller's market. Big time.
It's going to be interesting to watch how SMPs pick and choose the "competitive" applicants among a bunch of low-GPA individuals. My guess is that they will eventually start doing what Temple does: pick applicants with OK GPAs (3.0-3.5) and high MCAT scores (33+).

Temple's minimum GPA is still 3.4, no? It's basically a waitlist retention program.