University of Toledo Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shell499

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to Univ. of Toledo a few weeks ago and will post a bit about my experience, this is not comprehensive, but is the best I can do right now.

Interview day: Started off with an hour slide show presentation by the PD, program seems to be comprehensive, meeting all the RRC requirements. Pretty standard EM curriculum, I think there was one kind of random outpatient peds month. Lots of enthusiasm among faculty about new residency program. ED census is about 30,000 a year and they are hoping to take 10 residents a year. I was a bit concerned that this might not provide enough volume for that sized residency, but the PD seemed not to be worried about that... said focus was on teaching, not volume of patients seen. There are a few ED months at another community hospital that seems pretty comprable to Univ of Toledo. ED runs all traumas, sounds like they get a decent amount of blunt trauma, MVC's. No anesthesia in the ED, airways will be ED resident's. Records are computerized throughout the hospital. A unique aspect of the curriculum is an opportunity to do a 3 month international elective in the 3rd year. The dept chief is pushing this, is involved in development of EM as a specialty in India and China, seems like a great opportunity. Also, faculty have been heavily involved with med student research in the past, sounds like research opportunities for residents will be plentiful.

- The introduction was followed by individual interviews 20 min each with 4-5 faculty members. Very laid back, I was asked why I want to do EM, why Toledo, tell me about yourself, and a bit about my med school extracurriculars. Overall a very friendly and personable group, not scary interviews.

Tour: The ED was on the small side and very quiet. PD explained that they like to keep the waiting room empty. Pretty standard facilities. Private patient rooms, 2 resus bays. Really nice YMCA exercise facility in the hospital.

- We then were taken to lunch at a local restaurant. PD is very friendly, well established career in EM, well connected in EM community, involved in SAEM, ACEP, research. I got the feeling that the teaching would be excellent here, but was a little skeptical of if there would be enough patient volume for adequate hands on and procedural experience. There is someone certified in ultrasound there. That's about all I can remember off the top of my head, hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Toledo

.Residents: One of the seniors was a near-fanatical proponent of his program. While it was nice to see that the residency can inspire this kind of enthusiasm, it was also comforting that the rest of the residents, while enthused were a little more circumspect..
.Lifestyle/City: Toledo is a reasonable-sized city, but I guess is lacking in some areas due to the proximity to Detroit. The airport would be one example, but the drive is pretty short to the Detroit Airport—30 minutes or so. .
Curriculum: Ultrasound is addressed with a one month rotation and intermittent shifts in ED months. All conferences are protected on off-service months, and involve weekly quizzes. The residents get an opportunity to do procedure lab on pigs a few times during their training. There are global medicine opportunities in China and the Philippines, and an attending devoted to disaster medicine. There are opportunities to teach medical students. There is a required EMS month, but a linear experience throughout residency is optional.

Facilities:
The residency is spread across 3 hospitals.: the University which has the most trauma and a 24% admit rate and lifeflight, St Luke's, which is a community program with a level 2 trauma center, and Toledo Hospital, a Level 1, busy, private facility with no surgical residency. .

Interview Day: This interview day was unique in that you actually met a chief resident at one hospital to tour the ED and then drove to another for the interview and tour (having seen the third one the night before, if you wanted to)..
Summary: .
.University of Toledo certainly looked like a decent place to train, and I felt like I was going to be impressed after talking to some residents, but I did not find myself particularly dazzled by any particular aspect. It may have just been the process wearing on me after 6 interviews in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Graduating senior at UTMC - want to make a few small corrections to above review:

1. I know that near-fanatical senior that you're talking about. Ha Ha. He may be a bit weird, but he tells the truth, especially when he says that the program is 'streamlined for EM' and minimizes off-service nonsense. All of we residents have excellent quality of life and do really enjoy the program.

2. There is no dedicated "ultrasound" rotation; but you are welcome to use one of the three elective months to do so. You have dedicated "ultrasound" shifts each month, which are more than plenty.

3. Quizzes are bi-monthy, not weekly.

4. Our surgical residents also rotate at Toledo Hospital (downtown, not UTMC), so there is technically a surgery 'residency' there. Trauma is pretty evenly split between UTMC and TH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should update some things.

1. Ultrasound is part of anesthesia month intern year. You do morning intubating and in the afternoon you spend time doing ultrasound. Ultrasound is highly encouraged and every 6 months or so you review them with our faculty member assigned to U/S.

2. Quizzes are every 3 months, usually about 50 questions.

3. Trauma is pretty much all yours at our largest facility Toledo Hospital. They have PAs who usually show up for the trauma surgeons but they don't want to do anything if they don't have to so you pretty much get to run them.

I've heard some pretty scathing reviews of this program.... I would stay clear. Residents are quiet as they are threatened with being easily replaced. And it sounds like the program director is taking in a lot of foreign grads with some under the table compensation.

I've heard some pretty scathing reviews of this program.... I would stay clear. Residents are quiet as they are threatened with being easily replaced. And it sounds like the program director is taking in a lot of foreign grads with some under the table compensation.

Post-count check.

I was there for the first three years of the UTMC residency. We had one transfer (with support of faculty), and one with some other issues.

I admit that I struggled with depression for my first year (family members terminally ill, dissolution of relationships, etc) - but faculty was turbo-supportive and bent over backwards to help me "make it". Nobody during my days there was threatened with being "easily replaced".

- just seems odd that this thread has been dead for while, and its post-match season, and all of a sudden, an extraordinarily "negative" review comes out, with little substance to the post.

Reactions: 3 users
As a former resident I can state that the scathing review isn't accurate. You'll receive great training, get your numbers in a supportive environment. When you graduate you can go anywhere. Heck we even had a guy do an elective rotation at Yale because he wanted to learn more about ultrasound. As a resident you can go to china, phillipines, Africa, Ethiopia, and I think they are working on Saudi Arabia. Either way it's a really supportive no intimidating environment and the dept is well respected within the hospital.

Post-count check.

I was there for the first three years of the UTMC residency. We had one transfer (with support of faculty), and one with some other issues.

I admit that I struggled with depression for my first year (family members terminally ill, dissolution of relationships, etc) - but faculty was turbo-supportive and bent over backwards to help me "make it". Nobody during my days there was threatened with being "easily replaced".

- just seems odd that this thread has been dead for while, and its post-match season, and all of a sudden, an extraordinarily "negative" review comes out, with little substance to the post.

Current resident and yes the program did participate in the Saudi match, which is a gauranteed Saudi spot for $. However Mich State does 2/year, Central Mich/CMU does 2/year, etc. It's nothing new. Also we were in transition last year and acquired an amazing PD this year who honestly cares much more about the residents and has already shown it. I have nothing but positive things to say about the current leadership. Also we just added another ICU month at Toledo Hospital, you basically have between 60-80 ICU patient's to mostly do procedures on. Intubations, Chest Tubes, lines, bronchs, etc. This facility places over 1700 central lines/year in the ICU. To say you'll have enough procedures is an understatement.

Does trauma get activated automatically? Is there an EM resident speicifically designated to cover trauma or are you covering your section (red, yellow, green etc) plus traumas.

Current 2nd year. UT has made a great deal of improvements these past few years. CCU has become an excellent rotation as far as strengthening up to date knowledge, evaluation and management of the common ED complaint "Chest pain." The new ICU month is phenomenal, basically acting as a fellow, managing large volume ICUs with truly critically ill patients. The ICU gusy are fantastic, great teaching, excellent at what they do, learned a lo and feel more confident in crit care. Also have access to Pharm D who will run meds with you, which is helpful. New PD is a great guy, available, interested in bettering the program, and helping you become an exceptional ED physician. Lastly trauma is called for all level 1&2 traumas, at one center we have betterd our standing with them and anesthesia and manage airway, and can get involved in other procedures, at the large Level 1 we get even more involved and tend to run the show, get all procedures. Trauma is not an issue. Any other questions feel free to ask, Ive been away from this site for a bit, but will be around more

So at our main facility trauma is run by the trauma team ultimately but an ED resident (on ED) does the head and airway. We also rotate with the trauma service and when on that service you are doc left usually. The trauma senior resident is doc right, and another intern gets extremities. The bulk of the good trauma you'll see will be at our larger lvl 1 facility Toledo Hospital. The ICU month NYR is talking about has a census of 60-80 usually and basically you just do procedures and manage the sickest ones.

Understaffed and One man show with dictator mentality equipped with ancient methods and ancient equipment. residents will be treated like disposable. Forget that you have a life or family. You and your inner soul will be disected, humiliated. Based on the financial info, this program or university might be closed very soon. May be Promedica gonna buy it.

again, care to elaborate? You're making claims, but not providing evidence..
How is it a dictator mentality?
How are you determining its understaffed?
How ancient is ancient? Windows 98 or 3-5 years old...
How are you dissected and humiliated?
And how are they treating you like a disposable commodity?