University of Toronto, class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure it's 10%, but usually they are all oop students.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone

i think i did well on the interview yesterday :)

was anyone else here in the 11AM session on saturday may 12th?? i met quite a few people there lol

Yeah I was in that session with the Yellow circuit! The interview was alright I guess. Its hard to judge your performance because its a very subjective process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can confirm (for this admission cycle) that all applicants who reach the interview stage are on an even playing field (ie grades and PCAT are no longer looked at). They'll only look back at the grades and PCAT if two candidates were pretty much neck and neck in term of interview or in other special cases (insanely high GPA but poor interview).

Source = faculty member involved in admissions

Last edited:
I can confirm (for this admission cycle) that all applicants who reach the interview stage are on an even playing field (ie grades and PCAT are no longer looked at). They'll only look back at the grades and PCAT if two candidates were pretty much neck and neck in term of interview or in other special cases (insanely high GPA but poor interview).

:thumbup: Thanks for the info!

Is this something new they're starting with this admission cycle?

yah its nerve racking. i thought i did a good job on my interview.. but i dont know.. really flustered on 1 station though...

If its really interview only after... WoW!

good thing they dont look at pcat again, i got 20s in 2 sections and 56 composite LOL!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds extremely unlikely. Even the most interview heavy schools don't use 100% interview as their admission index. Especially a school like U of T, which generally has a reputation as an academic-heavy school. Otherwise the average GPA and PCAT of the accepted applicant wouldn't be as high as it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the interview is hard to gauge in my opinion. I thought I did well on maybe 7 of the stations, and then there were 3 that I didn't feel too confident about. It's hard to tell though, so who knows, maybe I did badly on 7 and well on 3 lol

It's definitely a lot scarier knowing that they're looking at 100% interview.

Yeah, the interview is hard to gauge in my opinion. I thought I did well on maybe 7 of the stations, and then there were 3 that I didn't feel too confident about. It's hard to tell though, so who knows, maybe I did badly on 7 and well on 3 lol

It's definitely a lot scarier knowing that they're looking at 100% interview.

Haha yeah its really difficult to judge your performance, unless you're extremely familiar to the MMI process (e.g. a trained interviewer). I feel the same way you do, I feel confident about many of the stations, and skeptical about a few. But that feeling is just that, a feeling!

I don't know though. If it boils down to 100% interview, it will essentially be disregarding those who are academically able if they are not good at communicating effectively.

I think what the poster was trying to say was that let's say...60% of the overall application has already been determined by GPA and PCAT. (40% for GPA and 20% for PCAT let's say)
They give people a score out of 60% depending on how well they have done so far, and essentially whatever is left (40%) is all interview.

The total tally of the whole process will be your final "grade" so to speak, and then the top 240 marks will make it in.

So maybe your PCAT and GPA aren't as good as other peoples'. But if you do really well in the interview, you can still get in for sure.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing.

If U of T did indeed take such a drastic step, they would probably reveal it to the applicants and potential applications. That way they would be getting a significantly higher number of applicants. Just meet the fairly low GPA and PCAT requirements, and its basically a bit of a lottery after that.

Should I just go Waterloo if it does turn out to be like that...? =P

I already have my offer...mwahahaha.

Oh this is killing me now. I thought I didn't do so great on the interview so I was hoping my PCAT and grades would bring my admission index up... now I'm super nervous @__@

Oh this is killing me now. I thought I didn't do so great on the interview so I was hoping my PCAT and grades would bring my admission index up... now I'm super nervous @__@

Would the notion of meeting minimums also apply to the interview? I was under the impression that they had cut-offs for interview performance, and that people who make the grade are then ranked based on admission index.

lol, who knows... less than 39 days now people. after that, u will know if u were good enough to get in. simple as that.

I dont think anyone is able to know how they weight each part because i remember someone asked the circuit manager, who said it was never released in the past years and no one knows.

Whats the point of a secretive admission index anyways? I don't see any harm in releasing it, as many other schools do.

Ryan since you've been already accepted into Waterloo how much do you think the presentation weights haha..Is it even more important than the interview? :D:D For some reason I'm keeping thinking about this. :p

This sounds extremely unlikely. Even the most interview heavy schools don't use 100% interview as their admission index. Especially a school like U of T, which generally has a reputation as an academic-heavy school. Otherwise the average GPA and PCAT of the accepted applicant wouldn't be as high as it is.

Basically my impression of what the faculty member told us (us being the MMI volunteers) was that your PCAT and GPA determine whether you get an interview. So in this sense, admissions is NOT 100% interview. All people who get an interview have demonstrated that they can succeed academically so at this point, what determines admission would be just the interview performance. Again, this was just my interpretation however the term, "level playing field" was used to describe the applicants who were invited for interviews.

Ryan since you've been already accepted into Waterloo how much do you think the presentation weights haha..Is it even more important than the interview? :D:D For some reason I'm keeping thinking about this. :p

50% RC/WT, 50% presentation/interview

I'd say 10% preseentation. Seemed to me it just got things started for the interview, more like an ice breaker.

It makes sense, but if they don't reconsider PCAT and grades I find it unfair, especially since the cutoffs were exceptionally low (in the 10s and 20s for PCAT). I think applicants should demonstrate being well-rounded. Still, the interview was important, but I'd find it unjust for it to be the sole deciding factor after cutting out those who don't meet the cutoffs.

Basically my impression of what the faculty member told us (us being the MMI volunteers) was that your PCAT and GPA determine whether you get an interview. So in this sense, admissions is NOT 100% interview. All people who get an interview have demonstrated that they can succeed academically so at this point, what determines admission would be just the interview performance. Again, this was just my interpretation however the term, "level playing field" was used to describe the applicants who were invited for interviews.

That might have made sense if the PCAT and GPA cutoffs were higher. The cutoffs are bare minimums at the moment. Technically, someone with a 70% average/GPA and 20 on each section of the PCAT would be on a level playing field with someone with a 95% average/GPA and 95 PCAT. Did they only mention a level playing field, or specifically state that GPA and PCAT are no longer considered post-interview? A 'level playing field' could also be achieved by having the interviews worth 40-50% of the admission index. Thats a very significant number and creates a situation where the interview can make you or break you.

ok, they have 480 people to choose from after interview. I dont think that it will be too hard to pick 1 out of 2 from such a small number. If you did not get an interview, thats just how easy it was to cut 20% of applicants, about 120. now they just have to cut another 240, because they assume ur good grades are good enough cuz they met mins. and they want to see how mature u are and if u are professional material.

thats my thought on it. to be honest, it would probably be much harder if there were more applicants, but there is not. so its easy for them to just look at interviews post interview. we should just stop analyzing this cuz its kinda lame now. its 50% chance of acceptance. MD is like 5%, so they might worry all day and night.

ok, they have 480 people to choose from after interview. I dont think that it will be too hard to pick 1 out of 2 from such a small number. If you did not get an interview, thats just how easy it was to cut 20% of applicants, about 120. now they just have to cut another 240, because they assume ur good grades are good enough cuz they met mins. and they want to see how mature u are and if u are professional material.

thats my thought on it. to be honest, it would probably be much harder if there were more applicants, but there is not. so its easy for them to just look at interviews post interview. we should just stop analyzing this cuz its kinda lame now. its 50% chance of acceptance. MD is like 5%, so they might worry all day and night.

Lol no offense dude but your logic makes zero sense. If there were alot more applicants originally, THEN it would make more sense to look at only interviews. Because then it would be more likely that the ones who got an interview all had fairly high grades and PCAT marks. So far your grades have barely made a difference in selection because of the low cutoffs.

Anyways, you're probably right about trying analyzing this. :p We will probably never know. June 22nd it is.

I'm working in a place with lots of drugs right now, and it's not a pharmacy. :p

anybody worried about how their chances will be affected due to being out of province? the website states that they've never had to reject people based on being out of province if they were good enough candidates selected for one of the 270 seats, or that's at least the way I interpret it. i didn't meet too many OOP applicants on saturday though.

I'd say 80% interview, 10% pcat/10% GPA at this point since PCAT and GPA are already used for getting an interview

I'd say 80% interview, 10% pcat/10% GPA at this point since PCAT and GPA are already used for getting an interview

I totally agree that MMI is worth a lot but if it's 80% there's no way to explain why the selected applicants usually get much higher GPA than the min. Also, if the min for pcat and gpa are too low there shouldve been many more applicants applying each year

I received an offer today from Western for their MD program, so unfortunately I'll be pulling out of this race to June 22nd. If I do manage to get an acceptance into U of T Pharm, someone will be getting that spot! Best of luck everyone. :) Feel free to PM me!

I received an offer today from Western for their MD program, so unfortunately I'll be pulling out of this race to June 22nd. If I do manage to get an acceptance into U of T Pharm, someone will be getting that spot! Best of luck everyone. :) Feel free to PM me!

Congrats brah.

maybe cuz there were less applicants that they had to make lower cutoffs to meet everyone... LOL!

Congratulations!
If u wanna withdraw ur pharmacy application, I think u could email them and they would just take it out. So that would make it a bit easier for them to rank the remaining appicantions.
Good luck with ur MD program, I'm sure u deserved it!
Btw what were ur stats, if u don't mind sharing?

Last edited:
i'm studying for the pcat...i have the kaplan study guide, what other study guide books would you recommend?

also, where can i get a copy of dr collins pcat study guide? it's not on amazon.ca or chapters.indigo.ca

your late dude. plus u dont need a study guide. i just bought practice tests and studied those. i still manage to get all the extremely low cut offs LOL!

i'm studying for the pcat...i have the kaplan study guide, what other study guide books would you recommend?

I used Kaplan, and I supplemented the Chem and QA sections using my old university textbooks (Calculus + Orgo Chem texts).

I didn't buy any supplemental materials to help study for the Verbal or Reading sections. If you're weak in Reading, I'd recommend getting the Kaplan MCAT passages book (I believe it comes with 100 practice passages). If you're doing poorly in Verbal, GRE flash cards could be helpful.

I also purchased the Pearson practice tests, and I would 100% recommend buying those and doing them in a timed setting. They are very helpful because they show you whether you know your stuff, and they prepare you for the time-management aspect of the PCAT, which is really the hardest part of the test (especially managing your time in QA). Keep in mind that QA and Chem are probably going to be harder on the real test compared to the practice tests.

As for the Writing sections, I would recommend writing practice essays in a timed setting. Find a list of example questions (I believe there are some in the big Kalpan book, and you are also given some when you buy the Pearson practice tests) and write an essay for each question. I think the Writing section is overlooked by a lot of people, and it is definitely something you should prepare for because the cutoffs aren't easy to meet without any preparation (I know because I overlooked it the first time I wrote the PCAT and I didn't pass the Writing cutoff for the interview...which made my 98 composite completely useless).

Last edited: