University of Toronto, class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's with the rumour going around that the PharmD program is being implemented officially for the 1T6. I heard tons of 1T5 are failing or reapplying into our year so that they can get the PharmD. IS there even a point in applying to UofT this year?
?
The current pharmacy program which will be implemented next year and so forth is a PharmD program but the university is waiting for the approval. As for failing 1T5s and reapplication, I haven't heard of anyone doing that so far :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm another 1T6 hopeful. I have a 2.93 cGPA and 94 comp pcat (96 chem, 55 RC).

Really worried about my essay and wish those guys would post marks already! They say that marks should be up 5 weeks after the testing window, does that mean 5 weeks from the day I wrote it or 5 weeks from the month I wrote it.

Hey I'm also curious to know when the PCAT cut-offs will be made available. I'm assuming it'll be after the last round of tests so end of January? If anyone knows when and where that information would be available that would be greatly appreciated :)

Here's a debate to liven up this forum:

Do you think the pharmacist's job will be taken over by automated machines?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm also curious to know when the PCAT cut-offs will be made available. I'm assuming it'll be after the last round of tests so end of January? If anyone knows when and where that information would be available that would be greatly appreciated :)

Pcat cutoffs are made available in March at the same time the Interview notifications are made available. 2011 cutoff guidelines are posted on the site and it should be pretty much the same this year.

And also no pharmacists job will not be overtaken by machines or FML...

Here's a debate to liven up this forum:

Do you think the pharmacist's job will be taken over by automated machines?

I think in remote areas where there are not enough pharmacists willing to work they can be useful to a certain extent, however, no way will they ever put addicting drugs such as narcotics in those machines so they have limits. So no, I don't they will never completely replace pharamcists.

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your input about my stats:

First time applying

GPA: 3ish

verbal: 12
Reading: 29
Quant: 52
Biology: 91
Chemistry: 93
Comp: 64
Conventions of language: 2.5
Problem solving: 2.5

English is not my first language :S

all requirements will be complete by the end of fall term

Do I have a shot? Be honest

Thanks!

^ If your GPA was a little higher I'd let the PCAT slide but as it stands I think you need to rewrite. With a 3ish GPA I'd definitely aim for a 80 composite and a significant improvement in verbal and reading.

With those improvements you'll definitely get an interview and you can take it from there.

First time applying

Thanks!

Hey! so your quant, bio, chem and composite scores are fine. However, I would be a little concerned about the conventions of language - last year the cutoff was 3 - so to be safe you should definitley try to meet this cutoff. Unforunately UofT doesn't cut you any slack if you are below the cutoff.

While you're at it you should aim also to really raise that Reading and Verbal score. Even though technically you would've met last years cutoffs in those sections its always a good idea to stay well above it! Just my thoughts but there might be more applicants this year, considering the requirements have been set for a year now - allowing more people to meet the new pre-reqs and apply, so you want to give yourself a competitive edge.

In summary - my advice to you is to redo the pcat, with a real focus on those sections.

Hi folks, I have question regarding admission process and academic prerequisites; will I able to apply after 1 year and 1 st sem of 2nd year? By December I will met all prerequisites and planning to apply 2012 Jan. And, how's gpa calculated? % or cGPA? I am asking this because my school uses 12 point scale..

Thanks!

Hi folks, I have question regarding admission process and academic prerequisites; will I able to apply after 1 year and 1 st sem of 2nd year? By December I will met all prerequisites and planning to apply 2012 Jan. And, how's gpa calculated? % or cGPA? I am asking this because my school uses 12 point scale..

Thanks!

You can apply for Sept 2012 admission as long as you meet the requirements by May 2012 (end of spring term).
The minimum is 70% but they dont say what the GPA is on their website (They take all courses into account so I guess you can consider that a cGPA)

Do you guys think there's a chance they'll be raising the essay cut-offs? =S

Hey guys,

I'm applying this year as well. I applied last year, but I didn't get an interview because of my PCAT score. I got 2.5/2.5 on the writing section, and the cutoff was 2.5/3.
I was pretty upset because I got a 98 composite and I was way above all of the other cut-offs...lesson learned: DON'T DISREGARD WRITING...make sure you meet those cut-offs for EVERY SECTION!)

Anyway, I re-did the PCAT and I got a 93 composite this time, with a 3/4 in writing, 89 VA, 96 bio, 86 RC, 64 QA, 93 chem

My GPA is 3.7, and I have a B.Sc from UofT. I'm pretty sure that my grades combined with my PCAT score should be enough to get me an intervew.

I want to 100% smash the interviews, so any additional advice from 1T5ers would be super helpful!!

Are there any specific ethics books you guys read that you could recommend? and are there any mock MMI events that people know of?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Do you guys think there's a chance they'll be raising the essay cut-offs? =S

The cutoffs are determined by the number of people that apply. I believe they will all be the same as last year if not lower if less people apply.

And @kovey as i previously mentioned there are some good ethical issue/MMI books in the Reference section in Gersteins library near the practice Mcats.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cutoffs are determined by the number of people that apply. I believe they will all be the same as last year if not lower if less people apply.

Ok thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed then. :xf:
Also, do any of the Pharmacy students here remember what the average GPA of those accepted in their year was? I'm in my last year of undergrad right now, trying to raise my 3.5 to around 3.6 (can't go much higher even if I get all A's for both semesters :(). From reading this forum, I get the idea that it does depend on your performance on all 3 aspects as well as the application pool that year, but just so I can get a feel for the waters...

Hey guys,

I'm applying this year as well. I applied last year, but I didn't get an interview because of my PCAT score. I got 2.5/2.5 on the writing section, and the cutoff was 2.5/3.
I was pretty upset because I got a 98 composite and I was way above all of the other cut-offs...lesson learned: DON'T DISREGARD WRITING...make sure you meet those cut-offs for EVERY SECTION!)...

My GPA is 3.7, and I have a B.Sc in Neuroscience from UofT. I'm pretty sure that my grades combined with my PCAT score should be enough to get me an intervew.

ivk6sg.gif

I think the MMIs are more tailored towards using your common sense than how well you can regurgitate what you read in a bioethics paper. Certainly it'll help, but I don't think you'll be disadvantaged if you use your own morals and your own words (without needing to throw in words like "patient autonomy", "beneficence" or "justice" around) to justify your answer.

My only advice is to be yourself, don't make it sound like you're trying too hard. I think the adjudicators will be able to tell if you're trying to recite an answer or trying to answer based on what you think they want to hear vs. what you actually believe. It doesn't matter what you say, really. What matters is how well you can defend it - do you look at both sides of the issue? Do you rationalize your answer appropriately? Does it sound like you have a good sense of morals and ethics? Are you an empathetic person?

Furthermore, it sounds like your grades are up to par, but perhaps some humility might be necessary? I think it's somewhat apparent (dare I say - obvious?) that you have to meet the cut-offs in every section. A 98 composite, while admirable and perhaps something to brag about, means nothing if you miss one or several cut-offs.

First time applying

Thanks!

I'd recommend that you re-write.

The faculty actually lowered the PCAT requirements for our cycle (1T5s) so they could have enough candidates to interview. When the 1T4s were applying, the cut-off for verbal was 20%, so the 12% you scored is of concern.

Additionally, it's doubtful that the faculty will lower the requirements for the writing sections, so the 2.5 in conventions of language is also of concern.

I think if you were to rewrite the PCAT, an excellent score would offset the lower GPA you present. An excellent interview would do even more to offset both your GPA and PCAT.

At this point, however, I don't believe you'd receive an interview despite your excellent chemistry and biology scores because of the writing sections (and potentially verbal).

Good luck!

andy-fingers-crossed-o.gif

ivk6sg.gif

I think the MMIs are more tailored towards using your common sense than how well you can regurgitate what you read in a bioethics paper. Certainly it'll help, but I don't think you'll be disadvantaged if you use your own morals and your own words (without needing to throw in words like "patient autonomy", "beneficence" or "justice" around) to justify your answer.

My only advice is to be yourself, don't make it sound like you're trying too hard. I think the adjudicators will be able to tell if you're trying to recite an answer or trying to answer based on what you think they want to hear vs. what you actually believe. It doesn't matter what you say, really. What matters is how well you can defend it - do you look at both sides of the issue? Do you rationalize your answer appropriately? Does it sound like you have a good sense of morals and ethics? Are you an empathetic person?

Furthermore, it sounds like your grades are up to par, but perhaps some humility might be necessary? I think it's somewhat apparent (dare I say - obvious?) that you have to meet the cut-offs in every section. A 98 composite, while admirable and perhaps something to brag about, means nothing if you miss one or several cut-offs.

Thanks for the advice regarding the MMI's.

I wasn't trying to brag when I mentioned my previous PCAT scores. What is there to brag about when I didn't even get an interview last year? My point was that I did very well in every section, except I messed up the essay. I don't think I deserved to get in just because of a 98 composite, but obviously I was upset that I didn't get in because I screwed up one section of the test.

I did poorly on the writing section because I didn't prepare well for it the first time around, and I mentioned my old scores because I think that writing is the least-discussed aspect of the PCAT. I think that a lot of people write the PCAT being under-prepared for the writing section, and while it is obvious that you have to meet every cut-off, people might assume that certain cut-offs can be met with minimal effort.

So true! I'm feeling really stupid for dismissing the essay section now. A good composite means nothing if you're at risk of being axed by essay scores. By the way, the online application is already available right? Are there any benefits to completing that ahead of the deadline? =P Other than saving 50$.

So true! I'm feeling really stupid for dismissing the essay section now. A good composite means nothing if you're at risk of being axed by essay scores. By the way, the online application is already available right? Are there any benefits to completing that ahead of the deadline? =P Other than saving 50$.

I think the January 11, 2012 deadline was added so that those people writing the PCAT on January 10 or 11 can decide whether to submit their applications or not based on their initial PCAT score reports. It could also benefit people currently taking pharm pre-requisites in the fall semester, because some of those people may want to wait and see how they did in certain courses (e.g. CHM220) before applying and spending all that money.

The interview invites will be out in March for everyone, so there shouldn't be any extra benefit to submitting the application early. I'm going to submit mine soon though because at this point I don't have anything to wait for. I've got all my marks and PCAT scores, so I'm gonna get it over with and save $50 too :)

Hi everyone! (and helloeveryone, LOL! I remember you from posting in the 1T5 thread).

I initially got waitlisted in the upper half when the decision results were posted on June 24th. I shortly after in early July got accepted.

I'd like to share my stats with you guys and tell you that TRULY, if you can demonstrate you are human and not just a robot who can memorize and get high grades (more so related to the interview/MMI), you will be fine.

I had a fairly low composite comparatively, 73, and a cGPA of ~ 3.5 (UofT undergrad student, applied during my second year). I thought the interview was awesome and personally thought it went well (which I guess it did).

GOOD LUCK Y'ALL and really DO think twice about your decisions!

We've only been in the program for about 6 weeks, and we've only written 2 midterms (plus an assignment we did few weeks ago.) So far, all I can tell is that the new curriculum is quite demanding and challenging. Everything just seems to be way more fast-pasted compared to undergrad. Also, get ready to handle 7 courses in a term, because that's how many courses we have now in term 1 (2 of them are online though!)

After all, it's a very solid program and the school, the people and everything else are amazing(I REALLY HOPE what's in bold is true. Toronto HAS
A REPUTATION OF PEOPLE STABBING YOU IN THE BACK....as in pretending to be your
friend:scared:

Last edited:
Hi, I'm trying to register for the PCAT on Jan.10/11 but how come none of the testing places in Toronto are offering it? :confused:

What schools did you guys attend in undergrad?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm trying to register for the PCAT on Jan.10/11 but how come none of the testing places in Toronto are offering it? :confused:

There should be one at UofToronto Exam Centre (I did mine here). I hear even seneca college offers a PCAT test.

There should be one at UofToronto Exam Centre (I did mine here). I hear even seneca college offers a PCAT test.

Don't you have to schedule with pearson VUE and go to one of their designated exam centers? I live in Toronto but the pearson test center here isn't offering the test on Jan.10/11 for some reason... does that mean I have to take the test in the US? :confused:

Hi Guys!

I'm an out of province student from the maritimes. I just wanted to know from the IT5 class how many OOP's there are and if any of them are from the maritimes. Somehow gives me some hope/comfort.

My cgpa is 4.1/4.3 scale and my pcat composite is 95. I somehow managed to get 3 and 3 for writing and problem solving (sooo bad on one of the writing samples not even kidding so i guess i got lucky)

I just have a question on the PharmD issue. I've checked the website and the only information I can find about it is a combined PharmD/pharmacy degree which is 5 years long and requires additional interview/gpa assesment. How sure are the IT5ers that by the time they graduate it will be with a PharmD?

Because things out in Ontario and UBC are way more competitive than in the maritimes. A lot of gpa differences are involved, and since i would like to pursue a pharmD i'm wondering if it would be better to suffer in Halifax get a B. Sc in pharm and get a high gpa then apply to PharmD program at UBC or UofT.

Hi Guys!

I'm an out of province student from the maritimes. I just wanted to know from the IT5 class how many OOP's there are and if any of them are from the maritimes. Somehow gives me some hope/comfort.

My cgpa is 4.1/4.3 scale and my pcat composite is 95. I somehow managed to get 3 and 3 for writing and problem solving (sooo bad on one of the writing samples not even kidding so i guess i got lucky)

I just have a question on the PharmD issue. I've checked the website and the only information I can find about it is a combined PharmD/pharmacy degree which is 5 years long and requires additional interview/gpa assesment. How sure are the IT5ers that by the time they graduate it will be with a PharmD?

Because things out in Ontario and UBC are way more competitive than in the maritimes. A lot of gpa differences are involved, and since i would like to pursue a pharmD i'm wondering if it would be better to suffer in Halifax get a B. Sc in pharm and get a high gpa then apply to PharmD program at UBC or UofT.

If the PharmD program EVER gets approved, we'll automatically get a pharmD. Regardless, you could tell potential employers that you've had a PharmD curriculum.

i am doing my pcat in jan 2012 cycle. which is the best pcat study guide kaplan or the Dr. collins one? Does anyone know any good pcat prep classes in toronto or anywhere??

i am doing my pcat in jan 2012 cycle. which is the best pcat study guide kaplan or the Dr. collins one? Does anyone know any good pcat prep classes in toronto or anywhere??

Get both Kaplan and Dr Collins. Both are strong in certain sections and weak in others. Together they will complement one another.

(IN MY OPINION) Dont waste your time/money on prep courses. Study hard on your own and use the money to get yourself a new computer and coffee/snacks. =)

Hey folks!

I'm curious to see the size of this year's pool of applicants. In reading the 2015 UofT forum, when you submit your application it'll indicate this value in the applicant ID number. It should start off with 20121??? and apparently, the first application starts at 1000. So to anyone who's submitted their application, what number do you have? :)

PS: I haven't submitted mine yet since I want to see closer to the deadline how many people applied lol

i used both, and here is what i can tellyou.

Dr.collins is great for mentioning almostevery topic on pcat and no extra bs. The problem with it is that it doesn’texplain anything too well. So you'd have to depend on internet to understandsome calculus or chem problems you might not remember so well. They also havethe best and most accurate practise questions.

kaplan has very good explanations, but waytoo much extra stuff you don't need. The only thing kaplan is good for is thewriting section. They provide a very good guide for it, which if followed will guaranteeanyone at least a 3.0/3.0.

I took Kaplan classes and used the Kaplan books it is very good for: Vocabulary (Verbal Ability section), Reading comp section (has 2 practice tests in the reading book) and Writing section. Its Bio section is also good for a general overview of everything, and i disagree with the person above me saying that only some of it comes up. I have tooken the PCAT multiple times and sometimes one topic will come up and sometimes another topic will come up so its best if u know the whole bio/science section to be on the safe side. For chem and math i would advise your gen chem + orgo chem textbooks and ur Calculus/Stat books.

I never tried Dr.Collins but i think either prep guide should suffice. Its all about how hard and deep your willing to prep/study that counts. Also try practice tests to get your timing down.

the early bird application for pharmacy is due on Dec. 1. Does it really matter if we give our application earlier or end of december? Do ppl that apply within Dec. 1 have higher opportunitie??

the early bird application for pharmacy is due on Dec. 1. Does it really matter if we give our application earlier or end of december? Do ppl that apply within Dec. 1 have higher opportunitie??

No, acceptance is equally given regardless of whether you apply early or not. The only reason they have early bird might be first priority over selecting interview dates....

Hey I was just wondering when they'll be sending out emails regarding whether you got an interview or not. I submitted my application over a month ago and have been waiting.

I currently have a 3.71 cGPA and a 90 on the PCAT. Just want to know whether that would guarantee me an interview? Thanks

Hey folks!

I'm curious to see the size of this year's pool of applicants. In reading the 2015 UofT forum, when you submit your application it'll indicate this value in the applicant ID number. It should start off with 20121??? and apparently, the first application starts at 1000. So to anyone who's submitted their application, what number do you have? :)

PS: I haven't submitted mine yet since I want to see closer to the deadline how many people applied lol

Anyone?:(

056. Which means I was the 56th applicant? I applied about a month ago so thats your status update from then.
Last year, lots of people applied on the very last day. I applied the day before and I was like 460 something and there were over 600 applicants last year in total -__-

I'm currently a 4th yr chemistry student and am applying for Pharm for the first time (so excited!) :) Does anyone have any advice? Based on my GPA and PCAT alone, do I stand a chance at being invited to the interview?

cGPA ~ 3.0 /4.0

Verbal 58
Readng 52
Biology 91
Quantitative 62
Chemistry 95
COMPOSITE 82
Conventions of language 3.0
Problem solving 2.5

I submitted my application yesterday, my number was 146

@otter14 Try to get ur gpa to 3.2sh and rock your interview. Also please retake your pcat, not that ur composite is low but you want to get 3,3 for writing; and hey, getting 90+ is nice too If you do that, you'll definitely stand a chance :)
I literally don't have any time to do a re-write of the PCAT this time around (4th year Chemistry thesis + finals). That being said, do you think I still stand a chance at making it to interviews? (I've met the criteria for the 2011 admissions)

Obviously I'd want to have a competitive application (PCAT essay scores included) but I've got no time left :(

waiting all the way til March for an interview and then June to find out if we got in or not is going to slowly kill me inside.

How many people get accepted every year into UofT pharmacy?

Is there any way to find out if they have gotten your high school transcript or not?

emailed them. Thanks! :) For some weird reason, I thought they said on their website that they don't respond to emails about specific things. But they replied.

Hey guys! I have this one question and I don't know where to ask it! So I'll try here

Is it true that were be less "applicants" out of the 240 take a seat in class cause I heard the 1t4s, if they fail, they reapply again and I've heard that 30% last year (1t3s) failed med chem??? Can anyone comment on this? I just want to know my chances of getting in!!!

The failures of previous classes doesn't concern You guys, those ppl that failed will have to write a supplement exam in August for them to pass the course. Your class, 1T6 will be given out 270 acceptances, of which 240 will most likely accept and the rest will reject the offer.

New challenger approaching!

McGill U
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: I/P
Extracurrics: lots.

Conditionally accepted to Waterloo for 2013, so thought I'd try out for U of T as well. =)

New challenger approaching!

McGill U
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: I/P
Extracurrics: lots.

Conditionally accepted to Waterloo for 2013, so thought I'd try out for U of T as well. =)

And in the other corner, wearing the blue trunks and black gloves...