University of Toronto Dentistry 2011

pie1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I was wondering if any one was applying as an international student to UofT dent this year? On their website they do not post any stats for international students so I was wondering if anyone could post their stats? to give an idea of the average GPA and DAT scores within the international applicant pool

I have a GPA of 3.75 and my DAT scores haven't come out yet

What are my chances? Also, my guess is that the international pool stats would be slightly lower than those of the domestic pool since we pay double the tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
Also, my guess is that the international pool stats would be slightly lower than those of the domestic pool since we pay double the tuition?

No, the FEW international students they take would be the best applicants they get. If you look at their admission stats, the highest GPA's they get are 4.0. Unlike US schools, Canadian ones look at all their applicants and then rank them. Applying early doesn't mean anything to Canadian schools. Best of luck anyhow.

Hey ... which admission stats are you referring to?
The average GPA of admitted applicants was a 3.85/4.0 last year. But I asked the admissions lady and she told me that this only included domestic applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, Canadian schools are generally very reluctant to take in internationals because there's already so few placements for Canadian students. Basically, they will not take internationals if there's a Canadian student who's just as qualified. And based on domestic stats, the Canadians that apply are fierce to compete with. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's near impossible that you'll hear anything from U of T. You will be very lucky to get in.

Hi, I'm a Canadian applying to both Canadian schools and US schools. If you look at their website it says "A minimum current grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required.*However, a grade point average of 3.0 (i.e. B) at the time of application does not guarantee selection. It should be noted that the 190 domestic applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.75 and the 10 international applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.65."
UofT also has this thing where they will drop your lowest academic year from your gpa calculation as long as you'll have completed at least 4 years or more by May 31 of the year you will be entering as long as that worst year wasn't your most recent year of study.
So your 3.75 gpa should go up if that applies to you.
However I will warn you that UofT is extrememly competitive and even if you make the cutoff gpa doesn't grant you an interview judging by how few international applicants they accept.
Also, your DAT score has to be extremely high as well, 20+ in all of them (except for the carving if you took the Canadian DAT - UofT doesn't care about carving)

Also if you do get an interview make sure to read up on their interview styles and sample questions cause it's completely different from the US. Whereas the US is more of a laid back style where they want to get to know you specifically, CAD schools ask "What would you do in this situation etc?" and more ethical type questions which they rank you on your answers. The good thing about this is if you are applying to more than one canadian school you can send your scores from one school to another if you feel you did amazing instead of you going to another interview.

Anyways, I hope this helps! :)

Hey guys!
I was wondering if any one was applying as an international student to UofT dent this year? On their website they do not post any stats for international students so I was wondering if anyone could post their stats? to give an idea of the average GPA and DAT scores within the international applicant pool

What are my chances? Also, my guess is that the international pool stats would be slightly lower than those of the domestic pool since we pay double the tuition?

the admissions coordinator that spoke to our pre dental club from UofT said average accepted GPA last year was a 3.97. Canada is all about GPA. A killer DAT won't even save a GPA that's less than near perfect.

Hi, I'm a Canadian applying to both Canadian schools and US schools. If you look at their website it says "A minimum current grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required.*However, a grade point average of 3.0 (i.e. B) at the time of application does not guarantee selection. It should be noted that the 190 domestic applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.75 and the 10 international applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.65."
UofT also has this thing where they will drop your lowest academic year from your gpa calculation as long as you'll have completed at least 4 years or more by May 31 of the year you will be entering as long as that worst year wasn't your most recent year of study.
So your 3.75 gpa should go up if that applies to you.
However I will warn you that UofT is extrememly competitive and even if you make the cutoff gpa doesn't grant you an interview judging by how few international applicants they accept.
Also, your DAT score has to be extremely high as well, 20+ in all of them (except for the carving if you took the Canadian DAT - UofT doesn't care about carving)

Anyways, I hope this helps! :)

Thanks alot! i did screw up my first year ... so if you take that out my GPA is a 3.9. I hope they give me a chance to be interviewed

I applied. I'm not really expecting an interview but my wife's family lives in Toronto so I had to try.

Do you know if we hear whether we received an interview the same time as Canadian applicants?

Don't give up!

I don't know when Canadians hear but Americans are notified at the end of February if they have received an interview (according to an email I received from admissions). All interviews take place together over one weekend in March.

Thanks alot! i did screw up my first year ... so if you take that out my GPA is a 3.9. I hope they give me a chance to be interviewed

Wow that's an amzing GPA Mr. Pie1900! I hope you get in b/c you deserve it!

Hey guys!

Not to rain on your parade, but I know a girl that went to UofT, finished school with a 3.89 overall with a 23DAT 25 PAT and she got rejected. Now she is applying to American schools this cycle.

With that said, if you believe in yourself then you should aways try. I knew I didn't have a chance so I didn't even bother.

Good luck!

Not to rain on your parade, but I know a girl that went to UofT, finished school with a 3.89 overall with a 23DAT 25 PAT and she got rejected. Now she is applying to American schools this cycle.

With that said, if you believe in yourself then you should aways try. I knew I didn't have a chance so I didn't even bother.

Good luck!

wow, she didn't even get an interview?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, she didn't even get an interview?!?

She got an interview, but she got rejected. The problem is that Canadian schools are ultra competitive. 3.89 overall GPA is amazing for most schools, but for their applicant pool, it's only average. I applied to McGill University and they are like that too.

She got an interview, but she got rejected. The problem is that Canadian schools are ultra competitive. 3.89 overall GPA is amazing for most schools, but for their applicant pool, it's only average. I applied to McGill University and they are like that too.

Oh, it might have just been her interview then? I know their questions are a lot harder and they're mostly case studies. My sister interviewed at UofT with a lower DAT score and a lower gpa than your friend and she got on the waitlist.

But yeah it is more competitive, I applied to both McGill and UofT but I doubt I'll get in, but I figured I would try anyways.

Oh yeah? What college are you attending? Do you also have US citizenship?

Oh, it might have just been her interview then? I know their questions are a lot harder and they're mostly case studies. My sister interviewed at UofT with a lower DAT score and a lower gpa than your friend and she got on the waitlist.

But yeah it is more competitive, I applied to both McGill and UofT but I doubt I'll get in, but I figured I would try anyways.

Oh yeah? What college are you attending? Do you also have US citizenship?

I go to Cornell and I'm not a US citizen. I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim too.

I go to Cornell and I'm not a US citizen. I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim too.

Well at least we've been accepted to US schools :) [judging from your past entries]

I'm Canadian with a 3.5 GPA now and 21AA 22 PAT on the US DAT (probably would be similar scores on Canadian), and I'm not even bothering with Canadian schools. Those scores will never get me in to the good schools, and the bad schools are pretty bad. I don't have a problem with moving to the US for school, at a chance for a better education/career. But damn that tuition :( :( :(

I'm Canadian with a 3.5 GPA now and 21AA 22 PAT on the US DAT (probably would be similar scores on Canadian), and I'm not even bothering with Canadian schools. Those scores will never get me in to the good schools, and the bad schools are pretty bad. I don't have a problem with moving to the US for school, at a chance for a better education/career. But damn that tuition :( :( :(

:thumbup:My thinking exactly, although my GPA isn't as great as yours because I was too HC with the sciences last year... USA all the way! I don't mind taking a specialty program in the US either. Hell, I don't mind being a US citizen and practicing in the state that gives me a DDS. :laugh: Say, do you think we can lower our tuition by becoming US citizens after D1?

Actually, education in Canada is pretty uniform. There's no terrible ones, no super advanced schools. What Canada needs is more dental schools. I wouldn't mind some private dental school up here.

:thumbup:My thinking exactly, although my GPA isn't as great as yours because I was too HC with the sciences last year... USA all the way! I don't mind taking a specialty program in the US either. Hell, I don't mind being a US citizen and practicing in the state that gives me a DDS. :laugh: Say, do you think we can lower our tuition by becoming US citizens after D1?

Actually, education in Canada is pretty uniform. There's no terrible ones, no super advanced schools. What Canada needs is more dental schools. I wouldn't mind some private dental school up here.

Hi, just to let you know, Out of state=international, if you get citizenship (which will take at least 4-5 years assuming you are instantaneously granted a greencard (which is unheard of unless you are a super rare-breed)) and you go to OOS schools you still gotta pay the high tuition.

However, in some states, you can qualify for in-state tuition without being a citizen. As long as you have done your taxes and have lived 6-12months in the state prior to signing the acceptance with the intent of going to dental school.

Well at least we've been accepted to US schools :) [judging from your past entries]

I would still rather go to McGill than any American school. The school is amazing and the tuition is unbeatable. But the pressure is off because we are in!

Cheers!:laugh:

Hi, just to let you know, Out of state=international, if you get citizenship (which will take at least 4-5 years assuming you are instantaneously granted a greencard (which is unheard of unless you are a super rare-breed)) and you go to OOS schools you still gotta pay the high tuition.

However, in some states, you can qualify for in-state tuition without being a citizen. As long as you have done your taxes and have lived 6-12months in the state prior to signing the acceptance with the intent of going to dental school.

Which schools are you talking about? In-state without being a citizen??

Hey everyone!
So I'm a Canadian citizen (and my parents live in Brampton) studying at VCU (in the US) and I'm interested in applying to U of T dental. Will I be considered an international student? Or is my Canadian citizenship enough to put me in the domestic pool? Also, how much is tuition?

Thanks!!!!

From what I've heard, Canadian schools are generally very reluctant to take in internationals because there's already so few placements for Canadian students. Basically, they will not take internationals if there's a Canadian student who's just as qualified. And based on domestic stats, the Canadians that apply are fierce to compete with. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's near impossible that you'll hear anything from U of T. You will be very lucky to get in.
Regarding this: I am an American citizen, applied to Toronto and was accepted. Dropping my worse year, my GPA comes up to a 3.9 but many Canadian applicants were waitlisted with higher GPAs (Source: Canadian dental forums). I believe being international probably made it a bit easier for me to get in.

Last edited:
Regarding this: I am an American citizen, applied to Toronto and was accepted. Dropping my worse year, my GPA comes up to a 3.8 but many Canadian applicants were waitlisted with higher GPAs (Source: Canadian dental forums). I believe being international probably made it a bit easier for me to get in.

it's true. The pool for international applicants is much smaller and less competitive. My friend who is an int. student with an average stats got into UofT Dent last yr.

Hey everyone!
So I'm a Canadian citizen (and my parents live in Brampton) studying at VCU (in the US) and I'm interested in applying to U of T dental. Will I be considered an international student? Or is my Canadian citizenship enough to put me in the domestic pool? Also, how much is tuition?

Thanks!!!!

if you are a CAN citizen, you will be put into the domestic pool. Furthermore, if you use Ontario address, you will be in In province pool (90% seats are reserved for in province students).
The tuition fee is ~ 35k a year. It's relatively cheap compared to US schools.

Hey Everyone!

Don't know if you are still interested but I completed my first two years of undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto and then finished at a public (but still top 100) university in the US.

Curriculum-wise Canadian universities are MUCH more difficult (my GPA was a 2.5) but in the US my gpa was a 3.88. In my opinion there is no way I would get accepted to a Canadian professional school if I stayed and applied there. Lots of my friends from high school who did exceptionally well in university are not getting interviews at med/dental schools. I will be attending dental school this fall.

So from my experience, it is not useful for an American student to apply to a Canadian professional school unless they have a 4.0 from Harvard and really just want to go to UofT instead.