University of Toronto Pharmacy '2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
**first time posting here**
looks like everyone is getting 90s in their PCAT (good for you guys!) but i am worried because i have an 85 and my gpa is around 3.6!
do u guys think i have a chance?
They look at percentage averages not gpa. Also I'd say your stats are pretty high for pharm :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They look at percentage averages not gpa. Also I'd say your stats are pretty high for pharm :)

oh so do i just add up all my percentage averages for all my courses in undergrad or do i just do the prereqs? and thank you so much!

oh so do i just add up all my percentage averages for all my courses in undergrad or do i just do the prereqs? and thank you so much!
haha no problem:) For the average, you add up the percentage of all courses (including prereqs and non-prereqs) you have taken, and take an average. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! so i decided to make an account after lurking you guys for far too long :/

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer.
1) Is there a limit on acceptances for out of province students (Montrealer here)?
2) McGill uses a 4.0 grading scale and I'm having a bit of difficulty properly converting to percentages.
For example: is a B at McGill (3.0 = 70%) = B at Toronto (3.0 = 75%)?
I'm confused because theoretically there is no way an applicant from McGill can get a 'A+' (90)

Sorry if this has already been clarified, I'm still a little confused.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey! so i decided to make an account after lurking you guys for far too long :/

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer.
1) Is there a limit on acceptances for out of province students (Montrealer here)?
2) McGill uses a 4.0 grading scale and I'm having a bit of difficulty properly converting to percentages.
For example: is a B at McGill (3.0 = 70%) = B at Toronto (3.0 = 75%)?
I'm confused because theoretically there is no way an applicant from McGill can get a 'A+' (90)

Sorry if this has already been clarified, I'm still a little confused.

Thanks!

1) 10% of class
2) if you get a letter grade, you just have to write the letter grade on the application I think

1) 10% of class
2) if you get a letter grade, you just have to write the letter grade on the application I think

We were told there is no OOP discrimination at all. The admission committee only sees a number (Student ID); does not tell them where you are from. This si what they tell you at the Interview. Unless we've been lied to (which I doubt) there shouldn't be any discrimination for OOP students.

^^^ I concur. There is no discrimination whether OOP or international. For confirmation, check the FAQ on their portal

Posted using SDN Mobile

I can't even find the 10% anymore lol

Guess it's a free for all now XD

I'm wondering how each criteria is weighted (GPA, PCAT and INTERVIEW)

I'm wondering how each criteria is weighted (GPA, PCAT and INTERVIEW)

I believe someone posted the weight breakdown for last year's application cycle as 40% GPA, 40% PCAT, and 20% interview. However, it seems unusual that the interview is only worth 20%. Also, I don't see why they would value the PCAT so much.

I believe someone posted the weight breakdown for last year's application cycle as 40% GPA, 40% PCAT, and 20% interview. However, it seems unusual that the interview is only worth 20%. Also, I don't see why they would value the PCAT so much.

Yeah, I would assume they have already used the PCAT for the interview.. so 40% interview 20% PCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may have gotten a 60 in one of my courses... :grumpy: it'll drag my average way down. This just makes me wonder, how would it affect your chances if you failed a non-prereq course?

I think I may have gotten a 60 in one of my courses... :grumpy: it'll drag my average way down. This just makes me wonder, how would it affect your chances if you failed a non-prereq course?
I was wondering the same thing... But I've come to the conclusion that as long as it's not a pre-req, even if you get a 60, it'll only affect your overall average. If you got a 60 in a pre-req, however, they would probably take a special note of it... especially if it's organic chemistry.

I wouldn't worry too much. I got in with a 61 in orgo chem II

I tried selling my Doctor Collins PCAT book on Kijiji and received a "cease and desist" notification from their legal team via the "Reply to Seller" function on Kijiji! They threatened litigation unless I took the ad down immediately, which I did.
Does anyone know if they were legally allowed to do that? And what is a better, more anonymous/less-easily-searchable way to sell my book?

I tried selling my Doctor Collins PCAT book on Kijiji and received a "cease and desist" notification from their legal team via the "Reply to Seller" function on Kijiji! They threatened litigation unless I took the ad down immediately, which I did.
Does anyone know if they were legally allowed to do that? And what is a better, more anonymous/less-easily-searchable way to sell my book?

Can they:

1. Actually prove you're still selling it/check that email
2. Catch you?

Just make a fake email and name and sell it under that. They can litigate you all you want, but they have no evidence.

Does anyone know how they do the letter to percent conversion for York students? We don't have A- or B- so what percent would our A and B be?

If you're in London I can buy it from you?

Hey!

Can someone post the PCAT score cutoff for this year (2014) for UfT?

Hey!

Can someone post the PCAT score cutoff for this year (2014) for UfT?
Minimum PCAT score requirements for 2014

Conventions of Language ( applicable to tests
taken prior to July 2012)
Problem Solving (applicable to tests taken prior
to July 2012)
Writing (applicable to tests taken July 2012 or
later)
Composite Percentile 50
Chemistry percentile 50
Biology percentile 20
Quantitative Ability percentile 20
Reading Comprehension percentile 20
Verbal Ability percentile 10

hey everyone!

with the next string of interviews coming up this weekend if anyone is interested in doing a mock skype MMI session together please PM me!

lets blow them away this saturday!

To people with March interviews:

Did most people come in business casual or business formal? Not that it makes any difference I'm sure, but my friend said if they're lax on attire, as a general interviewing rule, go with the more formal option.

Thoughts?

Did most people come in business casual or business formal? Not that it makes any difference I'm sure, but my friend said if they're lax on attire, as a general interviewing rule, go with the more formal option.

Thoughts?

They said business casual for the interview, but I remember most of the guys wore suits and girls wore blazers

Thoughts?

Definitely go with the formal option. There's no such thing as being overdressed for an interview.

Thoughts?

During my interview slot, pretty much everyone was dressed business formal.

First time posting, too. Did my interview back in march. GPA 3.4 and 91 pcat, what do you guys think my chances are?...my second year was horrible and it bumped from 69 to 80 this year, think that might help a bit?

average= 72%
pcat= 64 comp
interview= feel like I did ok

any1 know how many people get waitlisted ?

First time posting, too. Did my interview back in march. GPA 3.4 and 91 pcat, what do you guys think my chances are?...my second year was horrible and it bumped from 69 to 80 this year, think that might help a bit?

nice stats, and the upward trend in marks will help

nice stats, and the upward trend in marks will help
actually...I got it mixed up, it was 3.4 this year and cumulative average is 75.5%.....feeling a little unsure

Everyone ready for that interview on Saturday? :p

Are you guys concerned at all about the future job market? Toronto/GTA is certainly saturated heavily with pharmacists but it seems other cities/towns have hit a fair level of saturation as well.

For the MMIs, is it helpful to read the news and be aware of different issues occurring in pharmacy or with pharmacists? Or do the prompts give enough information to help make your opinion?

Are you guys concerned at all about the future job market? Toronto/GTA is certainly saturated heavily with pharmacists but it seems other cities/towns have hit a fair level of saturation as well.
If pharmacy is what you really want to do, a saturated job market shouldn't be a hindrance.

If pharmacy is what you really want to do, a saturated job market shouldn't be a hindrance.
I just think that people should be aware of the very high likelihood that they'll need to relocate somewhere else to acquire a job... and that as time goes on, this could mean more and more rural or remote. I'm not pre-pharm, but all the pre-pharm students I know think they have a full time job in their local pharmacy (ex. shoppers) in toronto/gta waiting for them. Important to just be aware of everything beforehand.

I just think that people should be aware of the very high likelihood that they'll need to relocate somewhere else to acquire a job... and that as time goes on, this could mean more and more rural or remote. I'm not pre-pharm, but all the pre-pharm students I know think they have a full time job in their local pharmacy (ex. shoppers) in toronto/gta waiting for them. Important to just be aware of everything beforehand.

I think the issue of job saturation in the GTA applies to a lot of professional careers, not just pharmacy alone to be honest. For instance, a friend of mine at UofT law school has said that the job market for law graduates is saturated in the GTA as well.

That being said, I think graduates of most if not all professional degrees are concerned with the issue of job saturation. To put things into perspective, every year graduates from medical school will be competing against colleagues from their school, PLUS graduates from other medical schools for a stable job. In other words, every year there are about 900 NEW doctors graduating in Ontario alone (from UWO, UofT, UOttawa, McMaster, and Queens medical school). Those 900 NEW doctors will also be competing against graduates from previous years as well, which makes job saturation an issue even for doctors.

So yes, I think it's important that pre-pharms should be aware of job saturation in the GTA, but the concern shouldn't be strictly limited to pharmacy alone.

I think the issue of job saturation in the GTA applies to a lot of professional careers, not just pharmacy alone to be honest. For instance, a friend of mine at UofT law school has said that the job market for law graduates is saturated in the GTA as well.

That being said, I think graduates of most if not all professional degrees are concerned with the issue of job saturation. To put things into perspective, every year graduates from medical school will be competing against colleagues from their school, PLUS graduates from other medical schools for a stable job. In other words, every year there are about 900 NEW doctors graduating in Ontario alone (from UWO, UofT, UOttawa, McMaster, and Queens medical school). Those 900 NEW doctors will also be competing against graduates from previous years as well, which makes job saturation an issue even for doctors.

So yes, I think it's important that pre-pharms should be aware of job saturation in the GTA, but the concern shouldn't be strictly limited to pharmacy alone.
Yep very true. There's already major saturation for all surgeons and any procedure based specialty... and this is across all of Canada (literally every single city/town in Canada). Like a general surgeon can get hired in places like north bay.. timmins etc. but no way you'll get a job in Toronto or Ottawa. Subspecialized surgeons have no chance. Same for other specialties. Only good thing in the GTA right now is family medicine (for now).

Overall there is a major issue indeed, we're in the era of unemployed professionals and it gets worse and worse.