University of Toronto Pharmacy '2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, I've been done school for almost a year... Need to start something now

What did you do this past year and did you apply anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

The wait felt a little more tolerable when I had all my midterms/assignments/exams to deal with. Less than a month left though :).

Reactions: 1 user
Curious to know, what have you all been doing to pass the time while we all wait anxiously for results?

Members don't see this ad :)
job! thank god or else i would be going craaaaazy. not that im not already...

I'm finishing up my thesis project....my prof was kind enough to let me continue....but not getting paid

I'm finishing up my thesis project....my prof was kind enough to let me continue....but not getting paid

that's not fair ! though understandable, since funding is super tight these days :(

that's not fair ! though understandable, since funding is super tight these days :(
yeah its either this or doing nothing at all till June... so better than doing nothing I guess?

What did you do this past year and did you apply anywhere else?

Well I did a few courses in the fall and then my PCAT in January, but nothing really after that. I also applied to Waterloo. How about you?

Speaking of working for free, I've been hearing from current UofT and Waterloo students (and friends of) regarding their placements and it seems that Waterloo students get somewhat of guaranteed paid placements, because they are "officially" coop students. And 4 months of it, too! On the other hand, many UofT students are refused pay if they do their summer placements in hospitals and for some retail stores as well, because they are completing their "mandatory hours". At my local hospital pharmacy, the UofT student is working for free while the Waterloo student is and has been getting paid.

As I am more interested in hospital pharmacy, this worries me because I was always under the impression that no matter which school you go to, you would have equal opportunities of finding paid work for your placements. With the high saturation in Toronto, it seems likely that at least some UofT students would have to relocate, bringing the expenses up even more! I am from Toronto, so UofT was easily my first choice. But now, if I get accepted into both UofT and Waterloo, I feel more indecisive. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Speaking of working for free, I've been hearing from current UofT and Waterloo students (and friends of) regarding their placements and it seems that Waterloo students get somewhat of guaranteed paid placements, because they are "officially" coop students. And 4 months of it, too! On the other hand, many UofT students are refused pay if they do their summer placements in hospitals and for some retail stores as well, because they are completing their "mandatory hours". At my local hospital pharmacy, the UofT student is working for free while the Waterloo student is and has been getting paid.

As I am more interested in hospital pharmacy, this worries me because I was always under the impression that no matter which school you go to, you would have equal opportunities of finding paid work for your placements. With the high saturation in Toronto, it seems likely that at least some UofT students would have to relocate, bringing the expenses up even more! I am from Toronto, so UofT was easily my first choice. But now, if I get accepted into both UofT and Waterloo, I feel more indecisive. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Lucky you! Most of us will have to pay for rent when we go to UofT. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your reference for the UoW application?

Yes, but the 1.5 hour commute (x2) isn't much to be jealous about ;) I worked part time at a retail pharmacy during my undergrad studies, so my reference was my pharmacy manager.

EDIT: I should've clarified, I'm from the GTA, not the heart of Toronto :)

Yes, but the 1.5 hour commute (x2) isn't much to be jealous about ;) I worked part time at a retail pharmacy during my undergrad studies, so my reference was my pharmacy manager.

How did you work at a pharmacy during your undergrad with no degree?

Lol! If don't mind me asking, which retail pharmacy did you work? Shoppers Drug Mart?

Members don't see this ad :)

The "mandatory hours" are different than a work term internship. Usually the mandatory hours are during the last year, and are part of the intended clinical rotations. Because you are getting credits, you aren't supposed to be getting paid. Your employer would take you on differently than if it were for a work term, generally speaking, although in my experience it's sometimes possible to pull a fast one on your university/employer.
Jobs in a lot of sectors go to the person with more experience from a less reputed school rather than the person coming from a reputed school without experience. Sometimes it's because the person's experience is impressive, but usually it's because work terms expand your network of contacts. Couple years out of school, where you studied becomes next-to-meaningless, with some exceptions.

Hypothetical hierarchy: Contacts>Experience>Grades

That being said, co-op isn't easy. Good placements go to the best students, and the types of placements you want may require you to find your own job, through your own network of contacts. Co-op's philosophy is not to "place" you, but rather give you a list of openings to apply for, and encourage you to look for anything else you can on your own. When you aren't working, you will be looking for jobs. If you don't look for jobs, you may very well end up with a hellish placement where you'll barely be learning anything.

If you're going to do co-op, and you are fully invested in it, you stand to gain a lot, not the least of which is finding out exactly what kind of work you love, like and, most importantly, hate. Nothing stops you from getting those same paid jobs outside of co-op, but you're going to need to knock on some doors and present yourself in the right manner, or they will see you as "free labour".

I'm from out of province, and Waterloo makes a lot more sense financially to me (rent, transport, gainful employment), but Toronto looks like it would be a lot more fun given how vibrant the city is.

But those are just my two cents.

While I'm on here, I wanted to let others know I will be looking for a place (and roommates!) in the fall, regardless of which university I end up at, so when acceptances come 'round rolling, if anyone wants to Skype and see if we would be good roomies, hit me up!

How did you work at a pharmacy during your undergrad with no degree?

I personally handed in my resume to the pharmacy manager, and told her my current situation and my future aspirations. I originally offered to work for free, or simply be allowed to shadow, because I truly wanted the experience to see if I'll enjoy pharmacy. I told her relevant information, like me having retail experience, as well as hospital experience (volunteering). She understood my plight, and decided to hire me as an employee.

Lol! If don't mind me asking, which retail pharmacy did you work? Shoppers Drug Mart?

I worked at a Rexall Pharma Plus.

The "mandatory hours" are different than a work term internship. Usually the mandatory hours are during the last year, and are part of the intended clinical rotations. Because you are getting credits, you aren't supposed to be getting paid. Your employer would take you on differently than if it were for a work term, generally speaking, although in my experience it's sometimes possible to pull a fast one on your university/employer.
Jobs in a lot of sectors go to the person with more experience from a less reputed school rather than the person coming from a reputed school without experience. Sometimes it's because the person's experience is impressive, but usually it's because work terms expand your network of contacts. Couple years out of school, where you studied becomes next-to-meaningless, with some exceptions.

Hypothetical hierarchy: Contacts>Experience>Grades

That being said, co-op isn't easy. Good placements go to the best students, and the types of placements you want may require you to find your own job, through your own network of contacts. Co-op's philosophy is not to "place" you, but rather give you a list of openings to apply for, and encourage you to look for anything else you can on your own. When you aren't working, you will be looking for jobs. If you don't look for jobs, you may very well end up with a hellish placement where you'll barely be learning anything.

If you're going to do co-op, and you are fully invested in it, you stand to gain a lot, not the least of which is finding out exactly what kind of work you love, like and, most importantly, hate. Nothing stops you from getting those same paid jobs outside of co-op, but you're going to need to knock on some doors and present yourself in the right manner, or they will see you as "free labour".

I'm from out of province, and Waterloo makes a lot more sense financially to me (rent, transport, gainful employment), but Toronto looks like it would be a lot more fun given how vibrant the city is.

But those are just my two cents.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I fully agree that networking and experience play a huge role in landing you that perfect job. Grades will likely matter the least to me as I focus my priority on getting employed. It is true that finding a job is a full-time job in itself. I guess I have only heard from people who skew my perception of the schools. I'm sure there are UofT students getting paid in hospitals, and I'm sure there are Waterloo students working for free. With that said, the economy isn't getting better, and jobs are limited, so sometimes you need every bit of help you can get (say, for example, having the title "pharmacy co-op student" after your name). However, the ability to network and market yourself is an essential life skill, especially in this day and age. Ah, I've still quite a bit to look into. I wish acceptances would just come out already! :)

I personally handed in my resume to the pharmacy manager, and told her my current situation and my future aspirations. I originally offered to work for free, or simply be allowed to shadow, because I truly wanted the experience to see if I'll enjoy pharmacy. I told her relevant information, like me having retail experience, as well as hospital experience (volunteering). She understood my plight, and decided to hire me as an employee.

Wow ok. So you got paid, that's interesting that she didn't just take you as a volunteer but decided to pay you. I hope I'm that lucky :p

Wow ok. So you got paid, that's interesting that she didn't just take you as a volunteer but decided to pay you. I hope I'm that lucky :p

I'm pretty sure aqua_flare got hired as a pharmacy assistant. I work for a Rexall as one too, well in the case of Rexall, we're called clerks but w/e. These jobs are hard to come by now since a lot of the big retail chains are cutting back assistant and tech hours for the pharmacies, but if you're lucky enough to find one, it's good experience. You at least get to learn the ins and outs of how retail pharmacy works, like billing insurance and processing prescriptions. Avoid the stores like mine that have a drive-thru, the ding sound that comes on everytime a car goes by will drive you mad. Personally, compounding and mixing are my guilty pleasures when I work :p

Well I did a few courses in the fall and then my PCAT in January, but nothing really after that. I also applied to Waterloo. How about you?

I think we talked before! I was doing the same thing as you taking a pre-req in the fall and wrote my PCAT. I've been doing nothing since January though lol

I think we talked before! I was doing the same thing as you taking a pre-req in the fall and wrote my PCAT. I've been doing nothing since January though lol

Really? Where did you do your undergrad?

Btw, T - 19 DAYS!

I meant we talked in this thread before lol I did my undergrad at UofT

Lol I know, just wondering :) did mine at Mac. Well hopefully we'll hear good news soon!

Reactions: 1 users
...did anyone else's 'decision' in the notifications tab of pharmsis disappear?

I wonder what happened. D:

Is yours not there as well? I wouldn't be so worried if everyone's disappeared. Of course UofT makes things as ominous as possible.

...did anyone else's 'decision' in the notifications tab of pharmsis disappear?
Mine disappeared too! I think they're trying to upload the results. The same thing happens when my instructor tries to upload the grades for our tests.

Mine disappeared too! I think they're trying to upload the results. The same thing happens when my instructor tries to upload the grades for our tests.
Now you have me checking every 10 minutes

Mine is gone as well. I remember last year students received their acceptances a week before the date given... ahhhh I'm getting very nervous

I hope so!!! I'm getting so impatient!!

Huh, mine's gone too. Hope they upload results soon, this waiting is just too much T__T

Though final transcript grades are due this Friday, so I expect that UofT will send out responses sometime after that day. I just hope it's soon.

The majority of UofT placements aren't going to be paid. In fact, Shopper's has an official policy that says that students shouldn't be paid for their hours. I'm going in today for my last shift of my placement and I haven't been paid a dime. It's a tough situation but the experience that you gain is super important.
In terms of hospital, it's even more difficult to get paid because it's not up to an associate pharmacist but rather the government. The reason that UW students paid is because they're part of a co-op program, while UofT is a regular doctorate program. Each has it's advantages but in my opinion, the paid placements isn't enough to choose UW over UofT. We're talking about the best pharmacy school in the country in UofT..

Reactions: 2 users
Huh, mine's gone too. Hope they upload results soon, this waiting is just too much T__T

Though final transcript grades are due this Friday, so I expect that UofT will send out responses sometime after that day. I just hope it's soon.

UBC sent acceptances the day final transcripts were due...hopefully UofT does the same lol

The majority of UofT placements aren't going to be paid. In fact, Shopper's has an official policy that says that students shouldn't be paid for their hours. I'm going in today for my last shift of my placement and I haven't been paid a dime. It's a tough situation but the experience that you gain is super important.
In terms of hospital, it's even more difficult to get paid because it's not up to an associate pharmacist but rather the government. The reason that UW students paid is because they're part of a co-op program, while UofT is a regular doctorate program. Each has it's advantages but in my opinion, the paid placements isn't enough to choose UW over UofT. We're talking about the best pharmacy school in the country in UofT..
No way! We need to vote for the party that would enforce paid internships, lower taxes and lower tuition! ;)

UBC sent acceptances the day final transcripts were due...hopefully UofT does the same lol

This is UofT we're talking about. They never release this kinda stuff early lol. But they sent 'em out early last year, so who knows, maybe it'll happen again this year.

I really hope they do, waiting 2 1/2 months for this is just killing me inside.

This is UofT we're talking about. They never release this kinda stuff early lol. But they sent 'em out early last year, so who knows, maybe it'll happen again this year.

I really hope they do, waiting 2 1/2 months for this is just killing me inside.

I've been waiting for about a year and half (took a gap year) so you can imagine how impatient I'm getting lol

How much earlier were they released last year? One week early?

Oooh I see. Well, one week earlier is one week earlier, not gonna complain. I just want to find out whether or not I got in. hahaha

My guess is June 11th. Last year they released the acceptances the same day as Waterloo, June 12th. This year Waterloo releases June 11th, so I'm hoping we'll hear about both the same day, but who knows...

Academically, UofT is the best pharmacy school. But when considering which school best suits you, it's not about getting 15-20k more for your work over 4 years (remember that the program goes year round, with no break for the summer, and you still don't get paid for your regular clinical rotations).

If you have aspirations of using your PharmD education for anything other than traditional community and hospital pharmacy, you may be best suited for co-op PharmD at Waterloo. If you contemplate the future of pharmacy, and want to influence what pharmacists can/cannot/should/should not do, then an internship with a governmental health branch is a must. If you want to shape personalized medicine therapeutics during their developmental stages, you should look to intern with a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company in their clinical departments. With the nearly complete overhaul of Big Pharma's structure, liaisons between smaller start-ups and the big boys will be changing as well, and collaborative endeavours will supplant the old model of subsuming/buying out the startups for their intellectual properties. If you are concerned with the policies and practice guidelines of the lampoons that are the Canadian Pharmacist Association and the Provincial Pharmacy Orders, go work there and change things: their lobbying attempts are more burlesque than they are effective or calculated. I'm grazing the surface guys: pharmacists need to start innovating instead of just being content with last year's scraps.

Co-op is a resource and support system that best serves the student looking to obtain relevant experience to achieve these types of non-traditional, specific goals. As I said earlier, if you have the know-how, you can do all of this without being in co-op, but it's considerably more difficult.

But if you're looking for a cookie-cutter community pharmacy job, where 15 years of experience are pretty much valued (and remunerated) the same way as 2-5 years of experience, then it becomes more difficult to make an argument for Waterloo over Toronto, plain and simple.

ah the wait is killing me! btw what do u guys mean its a year round program? like we have to do cliniacl rotations in summers but no classes right? if so i am cool with that haha :)

Hello future class of 1T8!

We know the wait is pretty difficult, but once you do find out feel free to check out the 1T8 website (http://1t8.uoftpharmacy.com/index.html) and join the official University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2018 Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/677586762294614/). You can meet new classmates, ask upper years questions, and register for Phrosh Week and CPR Sessions (a post-admissions requirement).

If you every have any questions post them on Facebook or e-mail them to [email protected].
For now, hang in there and watch the below video to help get you through.

All the best,
Shane & Tiana
Class of 2017, President & Vice-President
University of Toronto
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy

().

Haha that's awesome! Hopefully I'll be joining you guys this September :)
And I really hope that we'll be finding out sometime this week

let it go...
let it go...
cant wait for it anymore.....

omg. In addition to the ~$17000 tuition, there are also fees for Phrosh week and CPR (these two should be free. lol) ?!

I JSUT GOT MY ADDMISSION LETTER

Decisions are posted.

I've been accepted. Bah, now I have to decide to pick between UBC (home city) and U of T. I know, first world problems. Either well I'm sure I'll make somebody happy.

Anyone know what the word is in regards to scholarship announcements?