University of Toronto Pharmacy '2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YEAH IM IN!!!!! SO EXCITED

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone knows which program do we choose for OSAP?...there is a PharmD but only 2 years...

The PharmD option tuition isn't correct, I believe we have to make our own new section since the program is relatively new. For estimate of how much money you might get, you can try using the Bachelor Pharm Year 1.

The PharmD option tuition isn't correct, I believe we have to make our own new section since the program is relatively new. For estimate of how much money you might get, you can try using the Bachelor Pharm Year 1.

so what did you put for the end date for the program?...I am stuck

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait for an email from the registrar's office or email them yourself. Theres a stupid custom method that you have to follow for OSAP.

Accepted! Also not sure if I will accept the offer over UBC or UWaterloo (if I get it). But leaning towards UofT, at the moment.

cGPA: 83% (Finished undergrad at UWaterloo in Chemistry)
PCAT Composite: 89
Interview: Felt really good about all the stations accept one.

So I encourage thought who are waitlisted to be hopeful. There are still many people who have been accepted to other pharmacy schools and I hear about alot of people getting acceptances, even when the September semester starts. Good luck!

thank you, missrey. You are instilling a bit of hope in all of us. Goodluck in making your final decision!

Anyone knows which program do we choose for OSAP?...there is a PharmD but only 2 years...

I chose the Bachelor of Pharmacy...it had the same description as the PharmD. I don't think they updated the name that's all. Do you think we'll be okay if we send in our documents now? I've never applied for OSAP before and the acceptance document said the date for OSAP was June 13

Reactions: 1 user
I chose the Bachelor of Pharmacy...it had the same description as the PharmD. I don't think they updated the name that's all. Do you think we'll be okay if we send in our documents now? I've never applied for OSAP before and the acceptance document said the date for OSAP was June 13

I just got back from the U of T Financial Office to reset my password. I have asked them about the deadline and they said that they will accept OSAP applications until the end of September, but if you really need the money ahead of time then they recommend to submit it June 13.

Accepted to U of T and Waterloo. Super thankful and I think I'll most likely choose Waterloo so someone lucky will get off the Waitlist!
Stats:
GPA: 82%
PCAT composite: 87
Writing: 4
Interview: I thought I did well in 8 stations, stressed hardcore over one that I thought I bombed. I know a lot of people say you can't prep for MMI but I did a lot of practice and I found it very useful, just to practice structuring answers under a time limit.

I just got back from the U of T Financial Office to reset my password. I have asked them about the deadline and they said that they will accept OSAP applications until the end of September, but if you really need the money ahead of time then they recommend to submit it June 13.

I been calling them for the last hour....no one is picking up the phone

Accepted to U of T and Waterloo. Super thankful and I think I'll most likely choose Waterloo so someone lucky will get off the Waitlist!
Stats:
GPA: 82%
PCAT composite: 87
Interview: I thought I did well in 8 stations, stressed hardcore over one that I thought I bombed. I know a lot of people say you can't prep for MMI but I did a lot of practice and I found it very useful, just to practice structuring answers under a time limit.

Thank you for giving us waitlist-ers a chance! God bless and goodluck with Waterloo!

I will likely be choosing Waterloo as well! Good luck to those on the wait list :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for you all who got UWaterloo, UofT and possibly UBC as well. What's making you lean towards a specific school?

My choice is leaning towards always UofT because it's closer to home, offers PharmD instead of BSc, and surrounded by hospitals, and I'm looking towards clinical pharmacy. But UBC was my second choice because of the amazing atmosphere of the school and I also like how their clinical rotations starts earlier than UofT. Plus I gave my deposit to hold the spot already. The only issue I seriously have with the program is the BSc. UWaterloo also offers a PharmD and also has a good co-op program that starts really early in the program (I went to Waterloo for my undergrad so I know how helpful co-op can be).

So I can see alot of benefits for each school. Maybe I need a different perspective. Any thoughts?

I have a question for you all who got UWaterloo, UofT and possibly UBC as well. What's making you lean towards a specific school?

My choice is leaning towards always UofT because it's closer to home, offers PharmD instead of BSc, and surrounded by hospitals, and I'm looking towards clinical pharmacy. But UBC was my second choice because of the amazing atmosphere of the school and I also like how their clinical rotations starts earlier than UofT. Plus I gave my deposit to hold the spot already. The only issue I seriously have with the program is the BSc. UWaterloo also offers a PharmD and also has a good co-op program that starts really early in the program (I went to Waterloo for my undergrad so I know how helpful co-op can be).

So I can see alot of benefits for each school. Maybe I need a different perspective. Any thoughts?

At first I was leaning towards Waterloo also because of the coop, but you guys Becareful! It is soo sooo competitive in Waterloo to get a good placement. They don't have as many hospitals or clinics in Waterloo as they do in Toronto so the good placements are very hard to get. My cousin who is his 3rd year at UW is currently doing his coop in a small pharm in Sarnia :( . He is telling me to consider UofT since there is wayy more opportunities and better placements in the city. Yes, it's not a coop program but apprently we have a higher chance of getting a great placement for example sick kids. What do you lovely people thibk??

I would choose UofT if I were you. Pharmxi is right; Co-op is much more challenging. Most pharmacies wouldn't want to pay students as interns and so a co-op position would be much more competitive. Also, you have to pay an additional ~$900 every semester to account for the Co-op services. UoW is also fairly new so the curriculum is not as well-established as that of UofT. Not to mention, UofT is consistently part of the top 20 Universities around the world.

Reactions: 1 users
"pharmwannabe23 said:
Its true that U of T is U of T haha. But, Waterloo's co-op is so valuable in this field, especially with the growing number of graduating pharmacists. Experience is key, its all about building relationships and having connections to get yourself started up in the sector you want to pursue. Not only will co-op expose us to different sectors, but it will help us make those super valuable connections. Waterloo is also a highly reputable and prestigious school, and since we're less students as compared to U of T, I think that'll enhance the quality of our learning experience:) I can't wait to start."

I got this from the Waterloo forum. Hope it helps! :)

"pharmwannabe23 said:
Its true that U of T is U of T haha. But, Waterloo's co-op is so valuable in this field, especially with the growing number of graduating pharmacists. Experience is key, its all about building relationships and having connections to get yourself started up in the sector you want to pursue. Not only will co-op expose us to different sectors, but it will help us make those super valuable connections. Waterloo is also a highly reputable and prestigious school, and since we're less students as compared to U of T, I think that'll enhance the quality of our learning experience:) I can't wait to start."

coop is really valuable you are right. But the problem is it's very competitive and you might not be able to get good placements. :( most students at UW end up in rural areas is what I keep hearing

I got into both U of T and UW wohoooooo :D I will most likely be picking UofT . Yes UW has a great coop but its still not as a good competition as U of T especially if you want to get a placement in Toronto or the GTA. I have 2 brothers already at U of T. Cant wait to meet you guys in September !!!!!!!

"pharmwannabe23 said:

Both schools have their pros and cons. My view may be biased because I go to UofT, but I think there are way more learning opportunities at UofT than Waterloo. Sure Waterloo has Co-op and you'll be able to make some money while you're at it, but from what I hear from friends in that program, the learning curve is not as great as the Early Practice Experience (EPE) (160 hours of volunteering) done after the first year at UofT. If you're lucky and your employer likes your performance, most consider hiring you for the remaining summer months if a position is available. In Waterloo Co-op, employers may be reluctant to give a student a good learning experience if a student is paid; most oftentimes the student is viewed as a worker as opposed to a student. Just my two cents :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Woot! Got accepted, along with my girlfriend! Good luck to those who are waitlisted, don't give up hope!

Since a lot of us are looking for housing, I thought it'd be a nice place to post here about tbis. My GF and I are looking for another couple to find housing with. Turns out finding 1 br apartments downtown are hard for couples :p So yea, we're looking for another couple to be our roomies for the year, if anyone is interested, send me a message!

WOOHOO got in! I'm looking for roommate preferably in an area near the pharmacy building. Let me know if anyone is looking for a quiet and friendly female to live with. Thanks >< (send me a msg --I don't wanna be homeless :p )

Got accepted to U of T as well!!! ^^ Can't wait to meet everyone in September! I'll post my stats here for comparison:

cGPA: 82%
PCAT composite: 84 (Got like a 40 in Reading Comprehension QQ)
Interview: Felt pretty confident afterwards!

I emailed the registrar this morning about OSAP. She's out of the office until tomorrow which explains why no one answered the phone. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon!

As someone who's oop I'm ineligible for OSAP's 30% tuition grant right?

Got accepted! I was super surprised that they let us know on the 10th when I was expecting it on the 20th.

Stats:
GPA: ~75%
PCAT: 89
Interview: I really enjoyed it and felt good afterwards.

I made lots of mistakes in 2nd year of undergrad and failed a course so I wasn't even expecting an interview. I had to work really hard to get my average up to at least 75% which was the cutoff for Waterloo. I've volunteered for a year at a pharmacy and worked for two summers. I'm really passionate about the field and I think that's what helped me in the interview. I felt that I was able to show how passionate I am. I also tried to somehow incorporate (if it was appropriate) stories of my pharmacy experience in my answers to the interview questions.

I guess I'm writing this for anyone who's worried about their marks. After 2nd year I was devastated and angry with myself for ruining my chances at getting into pharmacy school. I was starting to lose hope but I looked at it as a learning experience. I asked myself whether pharmacy is really the path that I wanted to take. I felt at home working at the pharmacy. I learned something new everyday and I was able to work with all kinds of pharmacists (at one point we only had a pharmacy manager and different relief pharmacists). Being in that environment made me realize that it's something that I would really enjoy doing for the rest of my working career. I was inspired by the patients and everyone I worked with in different ways and it motivated me to work harder to bring my marks up in 3rd year. Even so, when I submitted my marks in January I didn't think they would invite me for an interview. I forgot about the application until I received the notification about the interviews and now I can't wait to start in September. So if any of you made mistakes that brought your GPA down, it's not impossible to get accepted. Learn from your mistakes and use your passion and experiences to motivate you to try harder. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Got accepted! I was super surprised that they let us know on the 10th when I was expecting it on the 20th.

Stats:
GPA: ~75%
PCAT: 89
Interview: I really enjoyed it and felt good afterwards.

I made lots of mistakes in 2nd year of undergrad and failed a course so I wasn't even expecting an interview. I had to work really hard to get my average up to at least 75% which was the cutoff for Waterloo. I've volunteered for a year at a pharmacy and worked for two summers. I'm really passionate about the field and I think that's what helped me in the interview. I felt that I was able to show how passionate I am. I also tried to somehow incorporate (if it was appropriate) stories of my pharmacy experience in my answers to the interview questions.

I guess I'm writing this for anyone who's worried about their marks. After 2nd year I was devastated and angry with myself for ruining my chances at getting into pharmacy school. I was starting to lose hope but I looked at it as a learning experience. I asked myself whether pharmacy is really the path that I wanted to take. I felt at home working at the pharmacy. I learned something new everyday and I was able to work with all kinds of pharmacists (at one point we only had a pharmacy manager and different relief pharmacists). Being in that environment made me realize that it's something that I would really enjoy doing for the rest of my working career. I was inspired by the patients and everyone I worked with in different ways and it motivated me to work harder to bring my marks up in 3rd year. Even so, when I submitted my marks in January I didn't think they would invite me for an interview. I forgot about the application until I received the notification about the interviews and now I can't wait to start in September. So if any of you made mistakes that brought your GPA down, it's not impossible to get accepted. Learn from your mistakes and use your passion and experiences to motivate you to try harder. :)

See, I wish I could like this, but I'm about to complete my 4th year, so even trying to pull up my marks is going to be a serious problem, even if I decide to take a fifth year inspite of me having all the requirements to graduate :(

I mean, if nothing happens between now and September, that might be my only option.

Are there total of 40 people in the wait list or 80 people?
Btw congrats to the acceptance!

First time posting on a forum EVER! Been lurking for quite some time so I figured it was time to join. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting. Just wondering if anyone was able to determine what program we select when applying for OSAP, I haven't been able to reach anyone in administration/OSAP yet so any feedback would be helpful! Thanks guys :)

First time posting on a forum EVER! Been lurking for quite some time so I figured it was time to join. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting. Just wondering if anyone was able to determine what program we select when applying for OSAP, I haven't been able to reach anyone in administration/OSAP yet so any feedback would be helpful! Thanks guys :)

I believe we must select the Bachelor's of Pharmacy option as there are no other programs that come close to PharmD. My friend, who is heading into second year now, says that's the right option as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you're allowed to defer admission to the next year at Waterloo or Toronto?

Does anyone know if you're allowed to defer admission to the next year at Waterloo or Toronto?

The acceptance package said you can but you need a legit reason.

The acceptance package said you can but you need a legit reason.

Would wanting to finish undergraduate be an acceptable reason? Or taking courses such as anatomy and physiology to prepare you for pharmacy?

I've heard people defer admissions for reasons like wanting to complete their undergraduate. Some will accept it but others state that you shouldn't have applied if that was your reason.

I've enjoyed undergraduate so far and I just feel a little reluctant leaving so early

Last edited:
Would wanting to finish undergraduate be an acceptable reason? Or taking courses such as anatomy and physiology to prepare you for pharmacy?

I've heard people defer admissions for reasons like wanting to complete their undergraduate. Some will accept it but others state that you shouldn't have applied if that was your reason.

I've enjoyed undergraduate so far and I just feel a little reluctant leaving so early

The package specifically pointed out that if you were in your last year of a graduate program, you could request a one year deferral.

I really don't think undergrad will be a good enough reason...

I think a lot of people are in your situation. You can try and if the answer is no then you just saved one year! So it would be a win-win situation :)

For those of you who aren't from Toronto, how are you going to find a place to live? :0

For those of you who aren't from Toronto, how are you going to find a place to live? :0

Ayase-chan~~ let's be roommates <3333

Joking aside, there's a U of T housing group on facebook as well as craigslist, kijiji, viewit, etc. U of T housing is usually students renting out rooms at decent prices, less of a hassle than other landlords that require credit checks etc. I previously found places on kijiji that were not too shabby.

Last edited:
I thought the admission package won't be mailed to us until July? Has anyone else received it as well?

I haven't received anything yet. But didn't realize we'd have to wait that long

I thought the admission package won't be mailed to us until July? Has anyone else received it as well?

I think he's referring to the "package" we received on PharmSIS that includes the offer of admission, response form, things we need to do before/during first year, and other information. Waterloo sent one by mail, but I'm not sure if we're going to receive a physical copy of it from U of T. Does anyone know?

Hey guys what do you suggest I do during the school year, work in an unrelated field for money or volunteer at a pharmacy for experience, and why?

To those who had relatively low GPA and PCAT score and got in, any advise on the interview part of the admission? Thanks!

To those who had relatively low GPA and PCAT score and got in, any advise on the interview part of the admission? Thanks!

I'd say re-write the PCAT and score higher, you need to compensate for your low GPA. I got in with a relatively low GPA but scored pretty well on the PCAT. As for the interview, stay humble, never blame anyone for anything (everyone has a reason for doing what they did- try and figure out whats wrong and resolve the problem), always try to tackle issues from both sides. Never be afraid to take a few seconds to reorganize your thoughts. Ask for prompts. Be human.