University of Toronto Pharmacy 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iggyazalea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice anyone posting a U of T pharmacy 2015 admission cycle yet so I guess I'll start it.

For those who got
1. accepted last year,
2. got wait-listed but later on got accepted and
3. those who got wait-listed

Mind sharing your PCAT scores, university GPA, and which university you applied from.. basically your stats

Good luck to everyone this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just getting myself onto here.
I will be applying this year :) Looking forward to the info we can gather on here!

Hey everyone!
I will be applying again this year hopefully with a better PCAT score coming up in November.
If anyone wants to study together in Toronto/York Region area for the PCAT, shoot me a message!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted for 1t8. Very good PCAT not so good GPA. Feel free to ask me questions!

Bump.

Also, any experienced applicant in the process like to shed some basic light on this interview process? I am so worried about that component as it is the make or break!
Anything I should be doing from now to prepare? Some people say to read ethics and what not...

please share your stats!

I got a really good PCAT score (Comp 96, and high for the science, decent for the other two) and a below average GPA in terms of Pharmacy school, barely above cut off.

Bump.

Also, any experienced applicant in the process like to shed some basic light on this interview process? I am so worried about that component as it is the make or break!
Anything I should be doing from now to prepare? Some people say to read ethics and what not...

Standard MMI, it's okay if you mess up one station because theres 9 other stations to make up for it. PERSONAL OPINION; do not quote! I think the interview process plays a HUGE role in selecting the applicants. With my GPA, I honestly didn't think I would make in but here I am in Toronto haha.

Edit

Last edited:
Hey guys, for the application, it asks "Have you repeated ANY university level courses?"

Does it count if I withdrew from a course and then took it the year after? I didn't receive an official grade from it nor did it count towards my gpa.
if it showed up on any transcript twice, that means you repeated a course

With my stats how competitive do you think I am? Will I even get an interview?

cGPA 3.73

PCAT
Verbal Ability 47
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 32
Quantitative Ability 93
Chemistry 98
Composite 92

cGPA 3.73

PCAT
Verbal Ability 47
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 32
Quantitative Ability 93
Chemistry 98
Composite 92
Based on last year's level of competitiveness, yeah you will.

Based on last year's level of competitiveness, yeah you will.

Thank you so much.

I dont know if you can disclose or not, but if you can, can you shed some light about the approximate level competitiveness.

Also, what do you think is the most important in terms of securing admission?

Is it the Interview, or academic marks?
Would having lower marks in biochemistry courses show weakness as a candidate?

Thanks Again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much.

I dont know if you can disclose or not, but if you can, can you shed some light about the approximate level competitiveness.

Also, what do you think is the most important in terms of securing admission?

Is it the Interview, or academic marks?
Would having lower marks in biochemistry courses show weakness as a candidate?

Thanks Again!
As for the level of competitiveness, you can refer to last year's thread. Most people who posted their stats reveal that PCATs are in the 90s composite and the cGPAs are 3.3-3.8.
Both are important in securing an admission. I believe only intro Biochem is required. So they won't even look at other biochem courses. They look at the cGPA and the marks you got on the required courses.

cGPA 3.73

PCAT
Verbal Ability 47
Biology 99
Reading Comprehension 32
Quantitative Ability 93
Chemistry 98
Composite 92

You are very competitive with these impressive stats. Unless you bomb your interviews, you should be able to get in.

I'm also applying this year, do you guys think this year will be less competitive than last year because PharmD is no longer exclusive to U of T and all the other schools are implanting it as well?

I will be applying this year. Wrote my PCAT in September and was wondering how my chances are.

VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81
cGPA: 3.3 (EDIT 3.5 now wooo)

I know that my VA and RC are weighing me down but I'm pretty happy with my score since I'm only entering second year. Should I retake the PCAT because of those two categories? Hopefully I can boost my average this year to a 3.5. Also, does anyone recommend staying for more than 2 years in ugrad?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,
I applied for the 2014 admission cycle, was upper-half waitlisted and not offered admission. I rewrote the PCAT a couple of weeks ago and improved my score:
VA 98
Bio 84
RC 99
QA 97
Chem 99
Composite 99

Composite when I wrote the PCAT the first time around was 81 and my bio section was embarrassingly low (...still my lowest section), so you can imagine how happy I was with my results the second time around.

cGPA is around 3.6, currently in my third year of undergrad.
Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle!

Hi all,
I applied for the 2014 admission cycle, was upper-half waitlisted and not offered admission. I rewrote the PCAT a couple of weeks ago and improved my score:
VA 98
Bio 84
RC 99
QA 97
Chem 99
Composite 99

Composite when I wrote the PCAT the first time around was 81 and my bio section was embarrassingly low (...still my lowest section), so you can imagine how happy I was with my results the second time around.

cGPA is around 3.6, currently in my third year of undergrad.
Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle!

Your PCAT number is perfect. What was your cGPA and PCAT score last year?

I'm also applying this year, do you guys think this year will be less competitive than last year because PharmD is no longer exclusive to U of T and all the other schools are implanting it as well?
which schools implemented pharmaD this year?

I will be applying this year. Wrote my PCAT in September and was wondering how my chances are.

VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81
cGPA: 3.3

I know that my VA and RC are weighing me down but I'm pretty happy with my score since I'm only entering second year. Should I retake the PCAT because of those two categories? Hopefully I can boost my average this year to a 3.5. Also, does anyone recommend staying for more than 2 years in ugrad?
retake it if you know you can get better in every section. otherwise comp 81 is alright

Reactions: 1 user
1T8 here. I feel that the MMI's are the most important in deciding if you are offered admission.

This of course is not supported by any evidence.

Reactions: 1 users
1T8 as well. I agree with kirino, I think the MMI's play an integral role in admissions. Definitely try to get a decent PCAT score( 80+) as well. My stats btw

Composite 96
Reading 37
Verbal 54
Bio 97
Chem 99
Quantitative 98

GPA 3.6

Let me know if anyone has questions

1T8 as well. I agree with kirino, I think the MMI's play an integral role in admissions. Definitely try to get a decent PCAT score( 80+) as well. My stats btw

Composite 96
Reading 37
Verbal 54
Bio 97
Chem 99
Quantitative 98

GPA 3.6

Let me know if anyone has questions

Hi just wanted to ask you how long did you study for PCAT and what resources did you use? Do you have any tips on studying and also during test day?

I know someone who did not get into the program last year and had a decent pcat score in high 70s (gpa low 80s). Do you think they weigh the PCAT more now or just got more competitive?

Thanks!

Hi just wanted to ask you how long did you study for PCAT and what resources did you use? Do you have any tips on studying and also during test day?

I know someone who did not get into the program last year and had a decent pcat score in high 70s (gpa low 80s). Do you think they weigh the PCAT more now or just got more competitive?

Thanks!
I think I studied for about a month and half on and off, and I got serious about 2 weeks for the actual test date. Studying wise I used the Kaplan book and the Dr.Collins PCAT guide which in my opinion are the two best resources available. The Dr.Collins guide is useful for almost everything and the Kaplan book reinforces topics that aren't mentioned in as much detail in dr.collins. I really think the interview plays the most important role, but having a decent PCAT and GPA is very important as well.

Has anyone looked into the job prospects for pharmacy? From what I'm seeing, it seems it's getting more saturated each year and I'm a bit worried about spending lots of money on pharmacy school and not being able to find a job thereafter. :(

I'm wondering how everyone did/is doing in their physical chem/thermodynamics pre req (chm220). That course is really challenging.

I'm wondering how everyone did/is doing in their physical chem/thermodynamics pre req (chm220). That course is really challenging.
Thermodynamics rules the universe! Fun times. :D

1. Job prospects - Almost every field is going to have challenges in finding jobs. Although it may be cliched, think about it this way - if you good at what you do, people will want to hire you. Some fields have high employment rates, but not everyone is in their ideal job. I know that I would not be satisfied with just accepting a job after graduation. I would want to fight for the best job possible. Make yourself valuable, and others will want you.

I understand that you may not want to risk spending up to 80k on tuition on the chance of not being able to find a job after graduation, but there are jobs out there... It may just require you to relocate/accept lower pay.

2. Didn't do the greatest in chm220 but it didn't really seem to matter.

Hi all :D

I'm applying for the 2015 admission cycle as well & writing the PCAT in January (i know, cutting it close).
I'm a second year student at UTM and my GPA is ~3.7, but hoping to pull it up with a few electives this year.

Good luck to everyone!

Grad student wrapping up MSc
First time applicant
Undergrad gpa 3.5
Masters 3.8 (but only had to take a few courses)
Taking PCAT in January along with Phys Chem, and need to write my damn thesis lol

Have no clue what my chances are, GPA is on the low side so I'm kind of worried that even with a good interview it might not be enough

Last edited:
Hey guys I was wondering if I have a chance with these scores?

PCAT comp 76
BIO 96
CHM 99
QA 80
VA 22
RC 34
writing 5
cGPA 83%

I know my VA and RC are low. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Has anyone recently applied to UofT yet? I heard that the last 3 digits of your application ID indicates how many applied so far.
@Ravin101 your stats look really good and seem competitive. In terms of getting an interview I think you will. Just do well on that!

Honestly, if you have a 3.5+ GPA, 80%+ PCAT, and do OK on your MMI (as in 6 or 7/10), I'd say you have a pretty good chance of making the cut. This is from speaking with quite a few 1T8s.

In other news, **** biochem.

Reactions: 2 users
For the class of 2018 who took out osap loans: How much aid did you guys get, and did u of T give anything for living costs? Thank you

Can anyone comment on the importance of the prerequisite GPA? I got a C+ and C in organic chem I and II respectively and did really poorly in physics, but I have B's and A's in all the other prerequisites (taking physical chem now but pretty sure I can get a high B/low A). I'm also confident I can get my cGPA to around a 3.5 by the time I apply. Will my poor grades in organic chem and physics really pull me down even if I have a competitive cGPA and an upward trend? And is it worth retaking both orgos or no? Thanks for any help!

Not a big deal...3.5 cGPA is pretty good.

3.2+ was considered competitive last year.. But the number of applicants is expected to increase and the gpa required to be competitive is likely going to increase as well. I can't comment on your orgo marks.. but I would assume weakness in pre-requisite courses could be a red flag. However, there is no point in retaking the orgo courses unless you don't make the cut and your PCAT/Interview were not your weak points.

well im pretty sure im not going to be the most competitive applicant, but i have had 77-78 % average for first year, and cumulative gpa of 3.08-3.1 but im taking few course that should lift up my average, but im wondering if 78% would be competitve enough or no, im also in my second year and havent done my pcat yet

well im pretty sure im not going to be the most competitive applicant, but i have had 77-78 % average for first year, and cumulative gpa of 3.08-3.1 but im taking few course that should lift up my average, but im wondering if 78% would be competitve enough or no, im also in my second year and havent done my pcat yet

I know a couple people who got in with around 3.0 so as long as you do well on the PCAT and interview you definitely have a chance.

Hey everyone ! I'm in my 4th year of undergraduate with a 3.2 GPA if I took my percentages it comes up to 77% my lowest grade would be C+. I got 80 on the PCAT on my second try and have only taken 1 year of full course load :(
Do I have a high/low chance ?

Hey everyone ! I'm in my 4th year of undergraduate with a 3.2 GPA if I took my percentages it comes up to 77% my lowest grade would be C+. I got 80 on the PCAT on my second try and have only taken 1 year of full course load :(
Do I have a high/low chance ?

You're gonna have to kill in the interviews.. your stats are barely the minimum (yes, PCAT cutoffs for admission are much higher than cutoffs for interviews)

The cutoff for GPA isn't high, but you should aim for more than the cutoff. Some would say 80 is good enough for PCAT though.. but like I said before, interviews play a big part

What do you guys think about these stats i got going?

cGPA: ~3.2

Comp: 90
Verbal: 52
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 62
Qua. Abi.: 95
Chem: 97

I feel like my cGPA is really low, I'm trying to bring it up to a 3.3+, but how competitive would you say I am with what I got currently?

What do you guys think about these stats i got going?

cGPA: ~3.2

Comp: 90
Verbal: 52
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 62
Qua. Abi.: 95
Chem: 97

I feel like my cGPA is really low, I'm trying to bring it up to a 3.3+, but how competitive would you say I am with what I got currently?
Seems like you'll be fine.

Hey all,

I went into this year feeling confident about my application and I'm doing well enough in each course with the exception of physical chem (CHM220)

Anyone know/can guess the absolute minimum mark I would need in the course to be offered admission?
For those who got in, how did you do in the course?
Or does anyone have any advice for the course?

Last edited:
Hey all,

So I'm in my 2nd year at UofT and my GPA last year was 3.6. I'm pretty confident I can maintain that this year.
I wrote the PCAT in July and my composite was 95 and in each separate section I was pretty consistent with a range of 79-98.

I went into this year feeling confident about my application and I'm doing well enough in each course with the exception of physical chem (CHM220)
The prof is Schofield this year and his teaching style is very difficult to follow. On top of that, his midterms are really difficult.
I'm taking it this semester and I ended up with a 48 (my first fail!) on the first midterm so it's going to be really difficult to pull up my mark.

Anyone know/can guess the absolute minimum mark I would need in the course to be offered admission?
For those who got in, how did you do in the course?
Or does anyone have any advice for the course?

The minimum mark is probably just a pass.. I mean, I know some people who got in with low 60's in their 2nd year chem courses.