University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello!
I just want to get some advises from anyone who has done the MMI before.

I've never done the MMI so I was wondering if we are allowed to have a watch (like a digital one that can measure the time) becuase we are only given 7 min..

If we are allowed, has anyone acutally tried to do that? I 've thought about having one but then I am worried that I might lose a focus on an actual interview process by keep looking at a watch.

will the interviewers somehow let us know like 1 or 2 min before ending?
Can someone please give me some advises on this?
Thank you!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

hello!
I just want to get some advises from anyone who has done the MMI before.

I've never done the MMI so I was wondering if we are allowed to have a watch (like a digital one that can measure the time) becuase we are only given 7 min..

If we are allowed, has anyone acutally tried to do that? I 've thought about having one but then I am worried that I might lose a focus on an actual interview process by keep looking at a watch.

will the interviewers somehow let us know like 1 or 2 min before ending?
Can someone please give me some advises on this?
Thank you!!!:)

The interviewers will not tell you how much time you have left and I wouldn't suggest trying to time yourself, it'll be distracting to you and the interviewer will notice you constantly checking your watch and that could play to your disfavor. Believe me, 7 minutes is more than enough time to organize a well thought out response to the prompt. During the 2 minute prep set yourself up a mini outline of what you want to say and present that. It's key to be organized and present your response in a coherent manner. If you go into the room knowing what you want to say then you'll have enough time to talk. The interviewers also have follow up questions that they'll ask you in order to provide you with some guidance in your responses so most of the time you'll end up using all 7 minutes.

In the end, I would suggest not timing yourself because it'll stress you out and the interviewers could take that as a sign of in-confidence or nervousness and that's not how you want to come across. Like I said, just go into the room knowing what you want to say and you'll be fine. Good luck!

The interviewers will not tell you how much time you have left and I wouldn't suggest trying to time yourself, it'll be distracting to you and the interviewer will notice you constantly checking your watch and that could play to your disfavor. Believe me, 7 minutes is more than enough time to organize a well thought out response to the prompt. During the 2 minute prep set yourself up a mini outline of what you want to say and present that. It's key to be organized and present your response in a coherent manner. If you go into the room knowing what you want to say then you'll have enough time to talk. The interviewers also have follow up questions that they'll ask you in order to provide you with some guidance in your responses so most of the time you'll end up using all 7 minutes.

In the end, I would suggest not timing yourself because it'll stress you out and the interviewers could take that as a sign of in-confidence or nervousness and that's not how you want to come across. Like I said, just go into the room knowing what you want to say and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my last exam today!!!!! Gonna have MMI on May 11th. Anyone wanna practice? I honestly have no idea what I should do.

For the ones who took the PCAT recently, how was the biology, chemistry and verbal reasoning sections?

For Biology section what level would be appropiate to finish beforehand (ie. 1st year, 2nd year of genetics, microbio etc)?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone who has done the interview earlier this year or any other year could help to clarify. The information we received said that we could expect to have discussion stations, acting, debate and collaboration. For the discussion, does it tend to be general ethical questions? health care system? pharmacy practice? about the school? about yourself? why pharmacy?

Any guidance as to what types of questions there may be would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone who has done the interview earlier this year or any other year could help to clarify. The information we received said that we could expect to have discussion stations, acting, debate and collaboration. For the discussion, does it tend to be general ethical questions? health care system? pharmacy practice? about the school? about yourself? why pharmacy?

Any guidance as to what types of questions there may be would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Try to skim the earlier posts in this thread and last year's thread, you'lll be able to find the answers to all your questions.

Hi guys

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting accepted. I recently did my MMI interview. I felt I did pretty good in 7/10 stations. Other 3 were average. My PCAT composite score was 60 percentile (Chem 88, If it helps :scared: ). I finished my 4th year Biochemistry and Biotech spec. with overall average of 76%. I know my academic marks and PCAT score are not that great.
Also, people who applied this year can you please post your PCAT/Grades/MMI experience.

Thanx :thumbup:

Hi guys

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting accepted. I recently did my MMI interview. I felt I did pretty good in 7/10 stations. Other 3 were average. My PCAT composite score was 60 percentile (Chem 88, If it helps :scared: ). I finished my 4th year Biochemistry and Biotech spec. with overall average of 76%. I know my academic marks and PCAT score are not that great.
Also, people who applied this year can you please post your PCAT/Grades/MMI experience.

Thanx :thumbup:

Actually I forgot. My PCAT was 66 composite.

If your interview went as well as you think then you've got chance, you never know

Last edited:
Actually I forgot. My PCAT was 66 composite.

Honestly, your PCAT score is a little on the lower side but your academic average and the MMI is about average. From what I've heard, admissions base a large chunk of their decision on the MMI performance so you definitely still have a chance. I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Well the Medical School invites are out... I wonder if that will affect us if people applied to both and got accepted into medicine.

Hoping for the best come June 21st!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, your PCAT score is a little on the lower side but your academic average and the MMI is about average. From what I've heard, admissions base a large chunk of their decision on the MMI performance so you definitely still have a chance. I wouldn't worry too much about it!

I know a lot of people heard that admissions depends largely on the interview performance, but we asked the man in charge of admissions (Ian Crandall I think) and he said it was 40% PCAT, 40% marks, and only 20% interview. Having said that, I think as long as you performed well in all three areas you have a good chance.

I know a lot of people heard that admissions depends largely on the interview performance, but we asked the man in charge of admissions (Ian Crandall I think) and he said it was 40% PCAT, 40% marks, and only 20% interview. Having said that, I think as long as you performed well in all three areas you have a good chance.

They really only use the interview for 20%? Considering they made such a big deal about how the MMI is the best indicator of future success in the health care system etc etc, I assumed they counted it for a lot more. Quite interesting !

Hi everyone,
I'm new here to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
I'm currently in my 4th yr of undergrad and hoping to apply to pharmacy next year. I unfortunately failed one of the prerequisite chemistry courses. I was wondering if I should repeat the course and would I still have a shot at UofT or waterloo for pharm? My cgpa is about 80-82% and I got 80s in all of my other prerequisites (except org chem and biochem). I'm also writing my pcat over the summer. What should I aim for on the PCAT to be competitive?
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I'm new here to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
I'm currently in my 4th yr of undergrad and hoping to apply to pharmacy next year. I unfortunately failed one of the prerequisite chemistry courses. I was wondering if I should repeat the course and would I still have a shot at UofT or waterloo for pharm? My cgpa is about 80-82% and I got 80s in all of my other prerequisites (except org chem and biochem). I'm also writing my pcat over the summer. What should I aim for on the PCAT to be competitive?
Thanks!

You absolutely have to re-do the course because if you don't, U of T won't even look at your application. Your marks are very strong so as long as you can get around 80 or above on the PCAT you should be fine. Obviously, you'd still have to get through the MMI but I wouldn't worry. Good luck !

You absolutely have to re-do the course because if you don't, U of T won't even look at your application. Your marks are very strong so as long as you can get around 80 or above on the PCAT you should be fine. Obviously, you'd still have to get through the MMI but I wouldn't worry. Good luck !
That is comforting to know, thanks! When I saw the fail, for a second I thought I lost all hope for pharmacy.

I overheard from a few people during the March interviews that this was their fallback into medical school. Anyone hear any good news from medical schools yesterday?

I'm not in that boat and have my eyes set on pharmacy! Hopefully those who are in the same shoes as me have better odds now :)

Only 37 more days!

I reallyreallyreally hope good news is coming my way in a little over a month. Anyone else have absolutely no back-up? My stats are very high, but I am not great at interviewing (even though I felt the interview went fairly well) so I am getting nervous!
Is getting rejected with high GPA + high PCAT rare? I'm not socially awkward or anything, just not super impressive when interviewing.

For anyone taking the PCAT are you taking anatomy and microbiology courses too? Please let me know. I know people who didn't take those courses and got into pharmacy school.

For anyone taking the PCAT are you taking anatomy and microbiology courses too? Please let me know. I know people who didn't take those courses and got into pharmacy school.

PCAT doesn't really cover anat or microbio. The major science topics focus on physiology, chem and basic cell bio.

I overheard from a few people during the March interviews that this was their fallback into medical school. Anyone hear any good news from medical schools yesterday?

I'm not in that boat and have my eyes set on pharmacy! Hopefully those who are in the same shoes as me have better odds now :)

Only 37 more days!
I sort of want to know this too as getting into Pharmacy school is my main goal and any odds of getting into it increasing is better.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true? If PCAT is worth 40% I'd be pretty glad because my PCAT composite was 92 percentile

Grades are between 75-79% I'd say. I'm not sure how I did in the interview but I'm hoping for the best.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true? If PCAT is worth 40% I'd be pretty glad because my PCAT composite was 92 percentile

Grades are between 75-79% I'd say. I'm not sure how I did in the interview but I'm hoping for the best.

Yeah I was there when he said that, but I find it hard to believe. I hope it is too cuz I had a 95 composite and really don't know how I did on the interview. Always had follow up questions which kept me talking to the end. Not sure if that's good...

PCAT doesn't really cover anat or microbio. The major science topics focus on physiology, chem and basic cell bio.

The PCAT covers anatomy and micro. Is there anyone who took these courses or didn't ?

Reaaaally hoping this is correct, because I don't think I did so well on the interviews. I think my nervousness shone through a bit :oops: I don't understand why they don't just clearly state the weightings on the site though, I don't see the big deal in it.

Hope everyone's enjoying their summer now that the whole application process is pretty much over :D

Hey guys, what do you think about my chances of being accepted? I have a 79.5% average, my PCAT composite is 84 and my interview was average I think. Thanks!

The PCAT covers anatomy and micro. Is there anyone who took these courses or didn't ?

The PCAT doesn't cover these topics outright, believe me, I've taken the PCAT twice and now I teach it for a prep course company. They're never going to ask you straight anatomical questions or anything about non-mammalian biology. They recently changed the test so that the science was much more focused on human physiology and biochemistry; those are the topics to focus on. Before writing the PCAT, I took both anat and microbio courses and they didn't really give me any advantage. The science covered is nothing more in depth than first year physiology, bio, biochem and chem (including organic).

Hey guys, what do you think about my chances of being accepted? I have a 79.5% average, my PCAT composite is 84 and my interview was average I think. Thanks!

Average and PCAT score are good. If the interview didn't go horribly then I would say you had a decent chance. It obviously depends on the strength of the applying class. I wouldn't worry though, your numbers are very respectable.

Average and PCAT score are good. If the interview didn't go horribly then I would say you had a decent chance. It obviously depends on the strength of the applying class. I wouldn't worry though, your numbers are very respectable.

Thanks! I feel much better now, I was nervous that my marks might not be competitive enough. Also, do you think they look at individual components on the PCAT? or just the composite score?

Can someone please explain PCAT scores such as composite...etc I'm a noob

The PCAT doesn't cover these topics outright, believe me, I've taken the PCAT twice and now I teach it for a prep course company. They're never going to ask you straight anatomical questions or anything about non-mammalian biology. They recently changed the test so that the science was much more focused on human physiology and biochemistry; those are the topics to focus on. Before writing the PCAT, I took both anat and microbio courses and they didn't really give me any advantage. The science covered is nothing more in depth than first year physiology, bio, biochem and chem (including organic).

That's kind of a relief however it's confusing as Kaplan states anatomy is 20% and micro 20% of the bio question. However I didn't know about physiology. Thanks. Is physiology big? I know gen bio is the biggest.

EDIT: also does anyone know how many times UofT accepts you doing the PCAT?

Last edited:
That's kind of a relief however it's confusing as Kaplan states anatomy is 20% and micro 20% of the bio question. However I didn't know about physiology. Thanks. Is physiology big? I know gen bio is the biggest.

EDIT: also does anyone know how many times UofT accepts you doing the PCAT?

Yeah Kaplan does say that some of the questions belong to these topi a but in reality they're much more similar to Bio or physiology questions. Taking a course in anat or micro would be my h more in depth than anything you'd have to know for the PCAT.

In terms of how many times you take it obviously it's best to just do it once but I'm pretty sure you can do it twice or three times without hurting your application. Check out the U of T website, all of this information is there.

Yeah I was there when he said that, but I find it hard to believe. I hope it is too cuz I had a 95 composite and really don't know how I did on the interview. Always had follow up questions which kept me talking to the end. Not sure if that's good...

That sounds more of a relief if it is true. But going through this site, most people have about the same average/score as me.

Yeah Kaplan does say that some of the questions belong to these topi a but in reality they're much more similar to Bio or physiology questions. Taking a course in anat or micro would be my h more in depth than anything you'd have to know for the PCAT.

In terms of how many times you take it obviously it's best to just do it once but I'm pretty sure you can do it twice or three times without hurting your application. Check out the U of T website, all of this information is there.

Uoft doesn't say anything in how many times to take it

Uoft doesn't say anything in how many times to take it

Okay well then like I said just aim for only taking it once. If you prep properly there should no reason to have to take it more than once. I would suggest taking a prep course or getting your hands on prep books that outline the exam, section by section.

so i emailed them on how many times to take the pcat and this is what they said
"Applicants may write the PCAT up to 5 times. When an applicant writes the PCAT more than once then only their single best overall test result is used for their application. There is no disadvantage to writing the PCAT more than once."

what do you guys think?

so i emailed them on how many times to take the pcat and this is what they said
"Applicants may write the PCAT up to 5 times. When an applicant writes the PCAT more than once then only their single best overall test result is used for their application. There is no disadvantage to writing the PCAT more than once."

what do you guys think?

Have you wrote it before and got the interivew? If you did I wouldn't write it again. If not, I'd write it again.

i still didnt do anything, im still in pre pharmacy

I really wouldn't get too worked up about it. Honestly just study as best you can for it and it'll go well. The test isn't impossible, the material is actually very straight forward. It's just a matter of learning how to write the test and manage your time.

so i recently spend two years in another university and now im transferring into york. york has given me 42 transfer credits and said that "Your grade point average will not include grades earned at other post secondary institutions. "

so i was hoping after spending the credits on pre pharmacy reqs at york to transfer to UofT pharmacy program. if i can spend the credits on the pre reqs of UofT pharamcy, how will UofT view them ( i dont think there will be a GPA).
Does anyone know? serious help : (

When you apply you'll just submit transcripts from both schools.

The York transcript will show all of the transfer credit with no associated grade, and the other school transcript will show all of the courses that you took there along with their grades.

When you apply you'll just submit transcripts from both schools.

The York transcript will show all of the transfer credit with no associated grade, and the other school transcript will show all of the courses that you took there along with their grades.

how do you know this to be true?

how do you know this to be true?

UofT requires you to include ALL your marks, for every course you've taken. So the cumulative mark (percentage) that they would calculate would include all your marks for both your previous university and York (thus you'll need to send them both transcripts so that they have all the marks, anyway).

Do you guys know if the marks for individual PCAT components are important when deciding admissions or if they only look at the composite PCAT score? I read in an earlier thread that they flag you if you score below 50 in a section so I was wondering if this was true? Thanks!

Your scores for the individual components as well as the composite are considered. I don't think you get flagged for getting below 50... well I've never seen that anywhere on the site lol