University of Utah Pharmacy Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spjutster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads for the University of Utah yet this year. I thought I would start one for all of us applying to the U for entering fall 2012. Have any of you heard anything from the U about your applications yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet, thanks for starting this thread! I applied to the U. My PharmCAS app was just mailed to them today and I already got an email from them. It looks like just their standard "we got your app" letter, nothing special...but it said that interviews would be Feb. 23rd and 24th with notification by phone no later than two weeks prior.

Have you heard anything?

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming we will hear from them the end of Jan. or the beginning of Feb. I'm getting anxious though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything either. I'm thinking of checking though with Sarah to make sure all my stuff was received. What other school have you / are you applying to? I applied to Midwestern University in Arizona and was accepted there. I was also applying to Florida and Mercer (in Atlanta), but withdrew those applications once accepted to Midwestern.

I applied to University of Kentucky and was accepted. I'm just waiting on Utah now...

I am anxiously waiting as well! I only applied to the U and Touro in California. :xf: Did you guys do the PCAT or do you have a Bachelor's?

I took the PCAT. I'm really hope I get accepted at the U!

I will have my BS (in Chemistry) at the end of this semester. I actually just took the PCAT today as well, but since the last date the U accepts for it was October's test, it doesn't count. I took it for a couple of other schools. What about you, mandigwen?

I am going crazy waiting too!

I will have my BS (in Chemistry) at the end of this semester. I actually just took the PCAT today as well, but since the last date the U accepts for it was October's test, it doesn't count. I took it for a couple of other schools. What about you, mandigwen?

I am going crazy waiting too!

I have a BS in psych. The waiting period is torture! Lol. Anyone know if they are still reviewing applications?

I'm pretty sure they have been reviewing applications since the end of October. I think they probably know who they want to interview, but that's just my guess.

I wish everyone the best of luck! Hopefully we all will hear some good news in the next month or so. Keep me updated! :)

Just got a call today to come up next week for an early interview next Wednesday. Anybody else get the same?

^^Congrats! I wish I could say the same. :( I'm still waiting to hear....but...the more time goes by...well...

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
^^Congrats! I wish I could say the same. :( I'm still waiting to hear....but...the more time goes by...well...

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

I don't want to be too specific, but I have a >90 PCAT and >3.75 GPA

Also I will have a degree by the fall.

^^Totally understand. Congrats again, and good luck! :thumbup: :)

From what I've heard, regular interview invites go out early February typically. There is still time!:xf:

Just got a call today to come up next week for an early interview next Wednesday. Anybody else get the same?
I got a call for an early interview as well. Have you gotten an email containing the details yet? It's getting a little close so i'm just getting nervous!

Anyone know what's the deal with early interviews? Normal procedure or special cases?

Just wondering.

I got a call for an early interview as well. Have you gotten an email containing the details yet? It's getting a little close so i'm just getting nervous!

Just got it this afternoon. Seems a bit late to me. Oh well. I don't live too far away, thankfully.

Went well, I think. They told me I should have a decision by next week. The facilities are impressive and the students I spoke with seemed really cool. If they accept me, it'll be tough to decide between this school and some others that have accepted me.

I have to say that I was really impressed by the staff there, especially Sarah. They were really nice. The interview was a little like others have said: no followup questions, sort of a stare-down, but at least they weren't hostile or anything.

Any specific questions?

Reactions: 1 user
Went well, I think. They told me I should have a decision by next week. The facilities are impressive and the students I spoke with seemed really cool. If they accept me, it'll be tough to decide between this school and some others that have accepted me.

I have to say that I was really impressed by the staff there, especially Sarah. They were really nice. The interview was a little like others have said: no followup questions, sort of a stare-down, but at least they weren't hostile or anything.

Any specific questions?

do you mind giving a run-down of how the day went? or was it a quick in-n-out thing?

Not so quick. Interview was first. It was around half an hour. Then I spoke with some current students and some of the staff and fired a ton of questions at them. They were very honest and open, which was great. Then I got a tour of the two buildings that the pharmacy students use. Total time was a bit over two hours.

Not so quick. Interview was first. It was around half an hour. Then I spoke with some current students and some of the staff and fired a ton of questions at them. They were very honest and open, which was great. Then I got a tour of the two buildings that the pharmacy students use. Total time was a bit over two hours.

oooo, no presentation on programs/curriculum/random information?

thanks for your info btw :thumbup:

They did speak about it and gave a packet of detailed info on course work, etc.

They did speak about it and gave a packet of detailed info on course work, etc.

What do they say about the job market in Utah for those graduating?

How many non-residents do they accept?

How many students do residencies?

What do they say about Roseman?

What do they say about the job market in Utah for those graduating?

How many non-residents do they accept?

How many students do residencies?

What do they say about Roseman?

Not much about the job market in Utah, except that they did mention that it is sometimes hard for P1 students to get intern positions.

Don't know about non-residents.

Sarah told me that their last graduating class had 22 out of 45 who went on to do residencies. Impressively, 20 of the 22 got quickly matched with residencies all over the country and the other 2 got matched eventually, so no one who wanted a residency didn't get one.

The only mention of Roseman was when I asked what their retention/graduation rates were. The retention is 97.5% (if I remember right) and about the same percent graduate on time. They mentioned that at Roseman, your position is determined from semester to semester and they can kick you out at any time, whereas at the U of U, they have the attitude that they want you to stay and succeed/get through the program. Honestly, Roseman was never on my radar to begin with, so I never asked about them.

Why do you have all these questions anyhow? Aren't you already a current student? are you at Roseman?

Not much about the job market in Utah, except that they did mention that it is sometimes hard for P1 students to get intern positions.

Don't know about non-residents.

Sarah told me that their last graduating class had 22 out of 45 who went on to do residencies. Impressively, 20 of the 22 got quickly matched with residencies all over the country and the other 2 got matched eventually, so no one who wanted a residency didn't get one.

The only mention of Roseman was when I asked what their retention/graduation rates were. The retention is 97.5% (if I remember right) and about the same percent graduate on time. They mentioned that at Roseman, your position is determined from semester to semester and they can kick you out at any time, whereas at the U of U, they have the attitude that they want you to stay and succeed/get through the program. Honestly, Roseman was never on my radar to begin with, so I never asked about them.

Why do you have all these questions anyhow? Aren't you already a current student? are you at Roseman?

thank you for taking time to address these questions. The residency aspect is impressive

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. It is wise for you to have the answers to these questions as a pre-pharm.

I've been graduated with my PharmD and working as an RPh for a over a year and a half now. Pharmacy is a great profession and the UofU is a well known school where you'll receive opportunites for a very good education.

Where else did you apply? What is your top choice?

I've been graduated with my PharmD and working as an RPh for a over a year and a half now. Pharmacy is a great profession and the UofU is a well known school where you'll receive opportunites for a very good education.

Where else did you apply? What is your top choice?

Did you attend UofU? If so, what other schools did you choose it over and why? What do you see as the greatest strengths of their program? Did you go into clinical pharmacy? in Utah?

I'm certain it is well known and would be a place for great opportunities, but so are the other places I applied to: Ohio State, Maryland, Pittsburgh, and University of North Carolina. I'm not sure what my top choice is (I still have some more research to do, and I haven't heard back from all of them yet). So, it will be a tough choice for me. Money may play a role, as well as location, and a million other factors ...

Did you attend UofU? If so, what other schools did you choose it over and why? What do you see as the greatest strengths of their program? Did you go into clinical pharmacy? in Utah?

I'm certain it is well known and would be a place for great opportunities, but so are the other places I applied to: Ohio State, Maryland, Pittsburgh, and University of North Carolina. I'm not sure what my top choice is (I still have some more research to do, and I haven't heard back from all of them yet). So, it will be a tough choice for me. Money may play a role, as well as location, and a million other factors ...

No, I graduated from Roseman. I didn't apply to the UofU but only went through the application/interview process with two PharmD programs because I choose to focus on programs that were 3 years and taught using the block curriculum. I will say though that the pharmacy world and economy are quite different from when I started in the Fall of 2007. I am a "clinical pharmacist" and work for a health-system on the Wasatch Front.

It sounds like you have a lot of great options and are doing your homework on each of them. Keep up the good work!

According to Sarah , they'll start calling for interviews next Monday and will send emails for rejections next Friday

^^Thanks; nice to know it isn't too late yet.

For those of you who got the early interviews, have they given you responses yet? It seems like maybe if they were waiting until next week to make invitation calls for the "regular" interviews then they might be making offers to those given early interviews this week...

Sorry, I'm over-thinking this. This whole process is so nerve-wracking though!

:scared: :barf:

No word yet on the early interviews. They did tell us they would do their best to let us know by yesterday, but haven't gotten an email yet.

I have a question for those of you following this thread:

Why have you chosen to apply to Utah?

Did anyone get a call today?

Darn, no calls today yet...
Utah is 2 hours ahead of CA right?

That what Sarah said in her email! If you email her she might tell you if you've been selected or not at least without specific time or date. I emailed her yesterday and I have been selected for an interview but they haven't finalized the time wether its Thursday or Friday

No call for me today. Did anyone receive a call today?

Just had a call from the admission office for interview. I withdrew my application though. Goodluck guys