University of Virginia (UVA) Post-Bac Pre-Med 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imatelllisa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an interview with them in March-- if anyone has any advice about the interview, I'd love to know!

I'll second all of the above from imatelllisa... Not sure if this is common but Dr Powers in particular wanted to discuss current events during the interview, we spent probably more than 50% of it chatting about ACA. Everyone in the admin there is obviously incredibly caring and invested in their students' success. I got a great vibe there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interview-- I suppose I was in the last round. When did you hear back from them? One of the students in the program told me his friend hadn't heard back from them and she interviewed in February.

@DPUpostbac14 I heard back just a few days after I interviewed back in January. I believe it was the Monday following the Wednesday I interviewed. I also will be attending the program - good luck!

VA is the place to be; despite UVA's unfortunate outcome against Michigan State, I fully intend to attend. Interviewed last Wednesday and was impressed by all the advisors and staff. Moreso, I enjoyed a slice of the cohort dynamic: students have a sense of humor, work together, and go off-site together. Everyone seemed intelligent, laid-back, collegial.

Was recently accepted by Columbia but the daunting machinery of their program is deterring. I was accepted to UVA on Monday.

I look forward to Charlottesville - any other takers on UVA?

I liked VA's program-- received an email saying I wasn't accepted-- but ultimately am deciding on smaller programs.

+ to how great the advising and electives seem. I also LOVED c-ville, but also had a feeling that there was something just slightly off about it to me.

Ultimately, I'm happy I had a chance to go see it but I'll probably be attending another school closer to home :) I'm guessing my interview, subpar science grades, etc were benefitting factors-- but whoever decides to attend UVA's program is going to be well-prepared for the med school process.

I'm attending. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I included UVA in my second round of applications. Finished application in mid-February, interviewed in early March, waitlisted the next week, accepted March 20. So, pretty rapid timeline from application to acceptance for me, but it was also the very end of the cycle.

DPUpostbac14 - "there was something just slightly off about it to me." That made me CQTM. I'm curious where you're from. Being from Virginia my whole life, then living elsewhere for a while, I've come to realize that much of what I knew from Virginia was a little off.

Just throwing it out there, I'll be back in Virginia in early May. I'll probably drive up for some house-hunting in mid to late May. While I'm not set on living with Post-Bacc cohorts, knowing my roommates will understand the heavy study days, exam recovery nights, etc. is appealing. So, if anyone wants to start the room/roommate conversation, I may be in a position to help.

I'm attending. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I included UVA in my second round of applications. Finished application in mid-February, interviewed in early March, waitlisted the next week, accepted March 20. So, pretty rapid timeline from application to acceptance for me, but it was also the very end of the cycle.

DPUpostbac14 - "there was something just slightly off about it to me." That made me CQTM. I'm curious where you're from. Being from Virginia my whole life, then living elsewhere for a while, I've come to realize that much of what I knew from Virginia was a little off.

Just throwing it out there, I'll be back in Virginia in early May. I'll probably drive up for some house-hunting in mid to late May. While I'm not set on living with Post-Bacc cohorts, knowing my roommates will understand the heavy study days, exam recovery nights, etc. is appealing. So, if anyone wants to start the room/roommate conversation, I may be in a position to help.
Hi secretbeard,
I don't want to really give away my location but I will say I am from out west. I have spent a significant time within/around the Midwest and living in major cities for my undergraduate years. C-Ville seems like a great, small city but ultimately, the cons were that it seemed a little bubble like to me, and there was a huge lack of diversity that i'm used to (to be fair, my undergraduate institution plays diversity the f up, so that could be a thing to me) and personality-wise I just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the program and/or people that are found in/around UVa. Ultimately I think that the professors and admissions committee saw that as well. However, I think Charlottesville is an adorable small city and the program is outstanding.

Ultimately, I got into a couple programs that are a better fit for me-- but I hope you find someone to rom with! I haev a current student's contact info if you need to talk to somoene, as he gave his email to the lot of us. He might know someone you could room with.

Hi secretbeard,
I don't want to really give away my location but I will say I am from out west. I have spent a significant time within/around the Midwest and living in major cities for my undergraduate years. C-Ville seems like a great, small city but ultimately, the cons were that it seemed a little bubble like to me, and there was a huge lack of diversity that i'm used to (to be fair, my undergraduate institution plays diversity the f up, so that could be a thing to me) and personality-wise I just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the program and/or people that are found in/around UVa. Ultimately I think that the professors and admissions committee saw that as well. However, I think Charlottesville is an adorable small city and the program is outstanding.

Ultimately, I got into a couple programs that are a better fit for me-- but I hope you find someone to rom with! I haev a current student's contact info if you need to talk to somoene, as he gave his email to the lot of us. He might know someone you could room with.

Oh I'm right there with you. No need to put out locations, no matter the forum. I meant moreso that I could tell you're not accustomed to small-city Virginia. I don't mean that as patronizing to you or to Charlottesville, just acknowledging that it can be a, "different," feel for many people. Best of luck to you in your program and beyond. I may PM you for that contact later.