University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Year2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is school specific, and probably annoying to many but I love UVA (as I am IS) and would like to go there for Medical School.

I was wondering if any posters on here knew about the school, and whether or not the IS stats were lower or higher than the medians posted on MSAR.

I'm sitting at around a 3.67 cGPA right now, but at the end of my DIY post-bacc (I am applying next summer), I think I'll have a solid 3.72c/3.62s and an MCAT of 516. Would that be competitive enough for UVA?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are IS and have a LizzyM score of about 74 (mcat no lower than 34 and gpa no lower than 3.8) you will almost certainly get an interview invite and then you have an 80% chance of being accepted. If you are IS but have lower stats, you likely will not get invited, but if you do, you have an 80% chance of acceptance. If you are OOS, you generally (but not always) need 75+ and then have a 65% chance of acceptance.

If you are IS and have a LizzyM score of about 74 (mcat no lower than 34 and gpa no lower than 3.8) you will almost certainly get an interview invite and then you have an 80% chance of being accepted. If you are IS but have lower stats, you likely will not get invited, but if you do, you have an 80% chance of acceptance. If you are OOS, you generally (but not always) need 75+ and then have a 65% chance of acceptance.

Not sure I would call a 3.7/35 a near lock for an interview at a school like UVA where the median stats are 3.8/35 and where so many interview invites are given OOS. This isn't like a state school like LSU and how they give interviews out to in-staters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have MSAR on the computer I'm using(wont download properly) but if you follow these stats which look like they were from MSAR and from several years ago about 198/1190 people who applied in-state were given an interview. I would be rather skeptical of believing that only 15% or so of those applicants had 3.7/35's(which is what the OP has). Also UVA gets around 5K apps a year which shows the applicant pool is rather self selective: this isn't some school like Rosalind that shows some in-state bias where everybody and their mother applies to.

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/29/University-of-Virginia-School-of-Medicine

Edit: I saw you were talking about 3.8/34 which isn't what the OP has but either way I still don't think its fair to make such a sweeping claim.

I don't have MSAR on the computer I'm using(wont download properly) but if you follow these stats which look like they were from MSAR and from several years ago about 198/1190 people who applied in-state were given an interview. I would be rather skeptical of believing that only 15% or so of those applicants had 3.7/35's(which is what the OP has). Also UVA gets around 5K apps a year which shows the applicant pool is rather self selective: this isn't some school like Rosalind that shows some in-state bias where everybody and their mother applies to.

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/29/University-of-Virginia-School-of-Medicine

Edit: I saw you were talking about 3.8/34 which isn't what the OP has but either way I still don't think its fair to make such a sweeping claim.

I know a lot of Virginia applicants and this was the trend - as long as you were from Virginia and had good (not necessarily great) stats, you had an interview lock. However, changes year to year. They interview 45 of UVA's top students statwise (and use this as a soft cutoff for non-UVA Virginia residents), accept 35, and around 25 matriculate. A higher gpa might be necessary if you are coming from a non-UVA state school, but you definitely need 34+ MCAT. The higher your stats, the more likely the interview obviously, but these (at least last cycle) were the general cut offs.

I know a lot of Virginia applicants and this was the trend - as long as you were from Virginia and had good (not necessarily great) stats, you had an interview lock. However, changes year to year. They interview 45 of UVA's top students statwise (and use this as a soft cutoff for non-UVA Virginia residents), accept 35, and around 25 matriculate. A higher gpa might be necessary if you are coming from a non-UVA state school, but you definitely need 34+ MCAT. The higher your stats, the more likely the interview obviously, but these (at least last cycle) were the general cut offs.

You know more about how it works in VA than I do but if only about 1/6 VA residents get an interview that sounds a bit off that you are essentially a lock for an interview with a "34+ MCAT and 3.7+ GPA". Considering how competitive things are and how UVA has a self selecting applicant pool(less than 5K applicants a year) if "34MCAT and 3.7+ GPA combination is a lock" for an interview that probably means there is definitely a lower ratio of VA applicants who have those stats than the 1/6 who get an interview(because UVA interviews people with lower stats there's no question about it just look at their median stats). Perhaps 1/10 of the applicant pool has those stats as a random guess? 1/9 or 1/8? Either way that seems kind of off that a school as self selecting and competitive as UVA would only have 1 out of 9 applicants with a "34+MCAT and 3.7+ GPA" especially considering their median stats. I have no inside info to go off that like I said and you know more about the area than me, but if we follow the logic I just used, something seems a bit off.

I can believe the part about them interviewing the top 45 UVA students stat wise. But it doesn't sound like OP is a UVA undergrad student from their description so that isn't that relevant here.

You know more about how it works in VA than I do but if only about 1/6 VA residents get an interview that sounds a bit off that you are essentially a lock for an interview with a "34+ MCAT and 3.7+ GPA". Considering how competitive things are and how UVA has a self selecting applicant pool(less than 5K applicants a year) if "34MCAT and 3.7+ GPA combination is a lock" for an interview that probably means there is definitely a lower ratio of VA applicants who have those stats than the 1/6 who get an interview(because UVA interviews people with lower stats there's no question about it just look at their median stats). Perhaps 1/10 of the applicant pool has those stats as a random guess? 1/9 or 1/8? Either way that seems kind of off that a school as self selecting and competitive as UVA would only have 1 out of 9 applicants with a "34+MCAT and 3.7+ GPA" especially considering their median stats. I have no inside info to go off that like I said and you know more about the area than me, but if we follow the logic I just used, something seems a bit off.

I can believe the part about them interviewing the top 45 UVA students stat wise. But it doesn't sound like OP is a UVA undergrad student from their description so that isn't that relevant here.

Sorry my response here is short and probably not comprehensive but:

It's not 34+/3.7+, it's 74+ LizzyM with neither of the two components below those numbers, so if you have a 34, you better have near a 4.0, and if you have a 3.7, you need a 37+. A 34/3.7 doesn't hit the "lock" number because it misses out on the 74 LizzyM.

For instance every Virginia resident I know who had a 3.8/37ish got an interview but people with 3.5/40 did not.

Evidence is anecdotal however. Plus I'm sure those without that combination get interviews, but it's only the "lock" if you meet those qualifications (+ obviously have shadowing and volunteering and no red flags but that I think is assumed in this case). If we assume that 1/10 Virginia applicants have those stats and most of them are interviewed, then the other 8ish% of VA residents who are interviewed are picked from a pool of people with good stats but aren't in the "lock" stat pool.

I don't really have too much hard evidence to back any of this up except my own experiences, so take this as you will.

Sorry that this is a bit mashed up - typing from phone.

Sorry my response here is short and probably not comprehensive but:

It's not 34+/3.7+, it's 74+ LizzyM with neither of the two components below those numbers, so if you have a 34, you better have near a 4.0, and if you have a 3.7, you need a 37+. A 34/3.7 doesn't hit the "lock" number because it misses out on the 74 LizzyM.

For instance every Virginia resident I know who had a 3.8/37ish got an interview but people with 3.5/40 did not.

Evidence is anecdotal however. Plus I'm sure those without that combination get interviews, but it's only the "lock" if you meet those qualifications (+ obviously have shadowing and volunteering and no red flags but that I think is assumed in this case). If we assume that 1/10 Virginia applicants have those stats and most of them are interviewed, then the other 8ish% of VA residents who are interviewed are picked from a pool of people with good stats but aren't in the "lock" stat pool.

I don't really have too much hard evidence to back any of this up except my own experiences, so take this as you will.

Sorry that this is a bit mashed up - typing from phone.

I'd be more willing to buy the LizzyM 74+ score thing. That doesn't apply to the OP though which is where I think the confusion lied.

I'd be more willing to buy the LizzyM 74+ score thing. That doesn't apply to the OP though which is where I think the confusion lied.

Haha yeah sorry, I kind of went away from the point of this thread to ramble on about my inner musings regarding UVASOM admissions policy. I think OP has a fair shot at an interview but is not a "lock" with a 3.7/35. My b.

Haha yeah sorry, I kind of went away from the point of this thread to ramble on about my inner musings regarding UVASOM admissions policy. I think OP has a fair shot at an interview but is not a "lock" with a 3.7/35. My b.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

FYI, my undergrad institution is Washington & Lee University in Lexington. Go Generals! @WedgeDawg probably not a good thing (for me) that they take so many UVA undergrads.

OP You should read the recent school-specific threads and you will get a ton of information on UVA, including a general idea (and somewhat skewed) of what stats end up where. Here's the most recent one; there's one for every year.
2015-2016 University of Virginia Application Thread

Also, every single med school with an affiliated undergrad takes a lot of their own. It only makes sense they would favor their own. You're in Virginia, so you're considered in-state (IS). Your chances are not that different from other VA applicants. But yes, UVA kids will have an edge at their own school; get used to it haha

Reactions: 1 user
OP You should read the recent school-specific threads and you will get a ton of information on UVA, including a general idea (and somewhat skewed) of what stats end up where. Here's the most recent one; there's one for every year.
2015-2016 University of Virginia Application Thread

Also, every single med school with an affiliated undergrad takes a lot of their own. It only makes sense they would favor their own. You're in Virginia, so you're considered in-state (IS). Your chances are not that different from other VA applicants. But yes, UVA kids will have an edge at their own school; get used to it haha
Hey thank you for your reply. I am starting graduate school at UVA this January so maybe that will help, but I'll never be an undergrad there soo...haha.

I noticed on your MDApps you are 25..(awesome mdapps by the way). I'm always bummed that I will start Med School 2 yrs after graduating, lol, does it ever bother you?

Hey thank you for your reply. I am starting graduate school at UVA this January so maybe that will help, but I'll never be an undergrad there soo...haha.

I noticed on your MDApps you are 25..(awesome mdapps by the way). I'm always bummed that I will start Med School 2 yrs after graduating, lol, does it ever bother you?
No. I worked in 2 awesome jobs and did work that I always wanted to do (eh ok maybe the first job wasn't as ideal but it got me super connections). Life isn't a race and when you see some of the immature/completely clueless posts this website gets, you'll be glad you did what you did while you could. Now, grad school is obviously different than what I did, so I hope you're in there for a good reason and not just to boost your app or whatever.

No. I worked in 2 awesome jobs and did work that I always wanted to do (eh ok maybe the first job wasn't as ideal but it got me super connections). Life isn't a race and when you see some of the immature/completely clueless posts this website gets, you'll be glad you did what you did while you could. Now, grad school is obviously different than what I did, so I hope you're in there for a good reason and not just to boost your app or whatever.

Well, right now I'm about to start a year as a full-time science teacher at a middle school. I am sure that will be challenging...but I'm pumped and super excited for it! It's a wonderful school and I am lucky to have this job.

In January, I'll be going to UVA part-time, and start full-time in the summer, and then continue on during my application year. My Master's is going to be in Environmental Science, specifically soil science, a subject I'm pretty jazzed about. And, it includes a fair bit of travel, so I am excited for it!

But I just graduated and it's hard to watch my friends go onto Med School and question my teaching job :(

But that is awesome that you loved your time in between graduation and applying!!

Well, right now I'm about to start a year as a full-time science teacher at a middle school. I am sure that will be challenging...but I'm pumped and super excited for it! It's a wonderful school and I am lucky to have this job.

In January, I'll be going to UVA part-time, and start full-time in the summer, and then continue on during my application year. My Master's is going to be in Environmental Science, specifically soil science, a subject I'm pretty jazzed about. And, it includes a fair bit of travel, so I am excited for it!

But I just graduated and it's hard to watch my friends go onto Med School and question my teaching job :(

But that is awesome that you loved your time in between graduation and applying!!
It's hard to watch athletes make millions of dollars making very little tangible contribution to society. It's hard to watch Jay-Z (and his nose) strutting around with Beyonce. It's even harder to watch my high school girlfriend posting her modeling pictures on Facebook (she got super hot after we broke up). The list goes on, my friend...
You sound like you'll be glad to do what you'll be doing. That's great. Have fun playing with your dirt ;)

It's hard to watch athletes make millions of dollars making very little tangible contribution to society. It's hard to watch Jay-Z (and his nose) strutting around with Beyonce. It's even harder to watch my high school girlfriend posting her modeling pictures on Facebook (she got super hot after we broke up). The list goes on, my friend...
You sound like you'll be glad to do what you'll be doing. That's great. Have fun playing with your dirt ;)
Haha best of luck this cycle!