University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I know this is kind of off topic and maybe a bit of an annoyance in a pretty stressful point of your lives but I've got my heart set on UW for next year so I wanted to see where I stood. So, I was hoping some accepted students could possibly post there stats or look at mine and give me an idea if I'm at least in the ballpark...

Small state school in NY
BS Biochemistry | BA Biology
Cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.8
2.5 years of research experience in 3 labs
-2.5 years in biophysical chemistry lab - numerous poster presentations, begin prep of manuscript in May
-1 year in molecular ecology/evolution lab - manuscript in progress
-SURF program at a major research university in a pharmacology (drug delivery) lab - work Published in December
VP Biology Honor Society
Secretary Chem honor society
4 year varsity athlete (D3 soccer)
Resident Assistant
Dept. Biochem award
PCAT this summer
no Pharm exp. yet, shadowing, volunteering this summer
(More research related ECs/awards but this isn't a CV)

My experience is definitely more geared towards a PhD program and research heavy I just couldn't imagine doing benchwork for the rest of my life. Hope all the research will be seen as a positive not a negative. I'll be in next years application cycle

I know my presence might be a bit of a nuisance and I apologize if it is, but if there's some feedback or comparison I could get I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Good luck to those waiting on decisions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I am most likely going to attend UW next year and was wondering if you guys know about housing/living expenses,etc. there in Seattle? Which neighborhoods should I rent out from? Is it better to live on or off campus your first year?

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I am most likely going to attend UW next year and was wondering if you guys know about housing/living expenses,etc. there in Seattle? Which neighborhoods should I rent out from? Is it better to live on or off campus your first year?

Thanks!
Housing in Seattle can be really expensive, especially if you live alone, but if you live with other people you can get a much better deal. That being said there are A LOT of housing options around Seattle. A lot of students live near campus in the Sand Point, Ravenna, and U District neighborhoods. A little farther away there is Capitol Hill, Fremont, Lake City, and Shoreline. Taking the bus from all of those areas is really easy and they drop off right next to the Medical Center. Some people live pretty far away (Tacoma or Marysville) so that's even doable if you wanted to. I don't think we have anybody that lives on the actual campus but I know some students live in the Nordheim and Radford Court apartments which are sort of run by UW off campus. Overall Seattle's bus service is awesome and you can get just about anywhere on the buses (the bus pass is part of your fees!). It's nice to live close because a lot of our classes are early in the morning (8 am this quarter...) but farther away and you can study on the bus so it's really what you would prefer. Like I said there are TONS of options. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was looking at the internships that are posted on UW's website and they look pretty intense considering the pharmacy course-load. Does anyone have any input on how doable the internships are? The ones that I looked at were Valley Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center. Any information would be great.

I asked UW about out-of-state tuition and they said as of right now, there is no way to get in-state after a year for academic purposes unless you work full-time (30+ hours/week), which is next to impossible if you're going to pharmacy school!

Does anyone know of a waiver or some other way? I don't know how I'd feel paying $42k per year for tuition! :eek:

I'm not doing an internship right now so I can't really help with that. Everybody I know that has an internship seems to be enjoying them. You might want to ask on the Facebook group.

As far as reduced tuition the only thing I know for sure is the WICHE program if you are an Alaska or Nevada resident. Other than that I think everybody just bit the bullet and took out loans for the full amount. Again, somebody else might know more but that's the only program I'm aware of. Good luck!

I know it's a longshot.. but is anyone else on the alternate list? :)

Although I was accepted to VCU- a quality in-state school for me, I decided to accept admission to UW. I'm looking for a life experience, and really think the program will be more beneficial to what I am trying to specialize in. However- OOS tuition is going to be crazy, but money isn't everything. Any current or new students care to share what your plans are to pay since federal loan caps are less than the OOS tuition? thanks!

Hey guys, I know this is kind of off topic and maybe a bit of an annoyance in a pretty stressful point of your lives but I've got my heart set on UW for next year so I wanted to see where I stood. So, I was hoping some accepted students could possibly post there stats or look at mine and give me an idea if I'm at least in the ballpark...

Small state school in NY
BS Biochemistry | BA Biology
Cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.8
2.5 years of research experience in 3 labs
-2.5 years in biophysical chemistry lab - numerous poster presentations, begin prep of manuscript in May
-1 year in molecular ecology/evolution lab - manuscript in progress
-SURF program at a major research university in a pharmacology (drug delivery) lab - work Published in December
VP Biology Honor Society
Secretary Chem honor society
4 year varsity athlete (D3 soccer)
Resident Assistant
Dept. Biochem award
PCAT this summer
no Pharm exp. yet, shadowing, volunteering this summer
(More research related ECs/awards but this isn't a CV)

My experience is definitely more geared towards a PhD program and research heavy I just couldn't imagine doing benchwork for the rest of my life. Hope all the research will be seen as a positive not a negative. I'll be in next years application cycle

I know my presence might be a bit of a nuisance and I apologize if it is, but if there's some feedback or comparison I could get I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Good luck to those waiting on decisions!
I think everything looks good but I would really try to get some experience- simply saying that because my interview was mostly about my work experiences, and secondly life/personal/experiential questions.

I know it's a longshot.. but is anyone else on the alternate list? :)

I am on the alternate list, I am pretty far down though but last year they accepted about 25 off the alternate list from their numbers it looks like.

I am on the alternate list, I am pretty far down though but last year they accepted about 25 off the alternate list from their numbers it looks like.

Ahh, how far down if you don't mind me asking? Above 15? When I called a couple weeks ago, I was told that the alternate list is much smaller than it has been previous years (which has been 25-30).

And where did you find that information? I've read every single past UWSoP thread and last year's didn't mention much about waitlists :\

Although I was accepted to VCU- a quality in-state school for me, I decided to accept admission to UW. I'm looking for a life experience, and really think the program will be more beneficial to what I am trying to specialize in. However- OOS tuition is going to be crazy, but money isn't everything. Any current or new students care to share what your plans are to pay since federal loan caps are less than the OOS tuition? thanks!
When I accepted my offer there was a paperwork error and I was originally classified as OOS. The financial aid offered to me was a combination of the government loans and Grad PLUS loans (I think... It's been a year) and was enough to cover the full cost of tuition/fees plus estimated living costs (something in the range of $18k/yr extra). Congrats on your acceptance!

Ahh, how far down if you don't mind me asking? Above 15? When I called a couple weeks ago, I was told that the alternate list is much smaller than it has been previous years (which has been 25-30).

And where did you find that information? I've read every single past UWSoP thread and last year's didn't mention much about waitlists :\

I am number 18. So maybe its at 20 but that really isn't too significantly smaller from the statistics they post. I just did the math, if they accepted 125 last year and only have a class of 100 then that should mean 25 people extra were accepted unless they decided to let a few more than 100 in originally. I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am number 18. So maybe its at 20 but that really isn't too significantly smaller from the statistics they post. I just did the math, if they accepted 125 last year and only have a class of 100 then that should mean 25 people extra were accepted unless they decided to let a few more than 100 in originally. I could be wrong.

Ahh, okay. I just assumed that most schools overshoot their acceptances in the first place. Well, let's hope for the best! :D I'm going to call towards the beginning of May to see if there's been any movement. What do you have planned as backup?

Ahh, okay. I just assumed that most schools overshoot their acceptances in the first place. Well, let's hope for the best! :D I'm going to call towards the beginning of May to see if there's been any movement. What do you have planned as backup?

Actually I am not really sure if I want to go to UW if I get in off the waitlist. I'll think really hard about it if I do but right now I am heading to WSU.

Can anyone recommend any good apartment complexes/condos for rent in the capitol hill or u-district area? Looking for a studio apartment on the cheaper side.

When I accepted my offer there was a paperwork error and I was originally classified as OOS. The financial aid offered to me was a combination of the government loans and Grad PLUS loans (I think... It's been a year) and was enough to cover the full cost of tuition/fees plus estimated living costs (something in the range of $18k/yr extra). Congrats on your acceptance!
Ok, I had assumed it would be that combination (gov't loans + grad plus), just wasn't sure if it would be enough. I'm happy to know it is- thanks!

I wish this thread wasn't so dead and that there were other SDNers who are on the alternate list :\

I'm on the wait list. I was put at 13. It's getting pretty late though, so even if i were to be accepted off the wait list i'm not 100% I would attend

I'm on the wait list. I was put at 13. It's getting pretty late though, so even if i were to be accepted off the wait list i'm not 100% I would attend

Where are you planning on going if you don't accept UW? The list has moved quite a lot, so let's cross our fingers!

I got pulled off the waitlist and was accepted as of May 9th. I have a really hard decision to make, seeing as I made my deposit to Roseman University already. It's also a lot cheaper for me as Las Vegas is my hometown. Ugghhh, I don't know what to do. UW is my dream school!

I got pulled off the waitlist and was accepted as of May 9th. I have a really hard decision to make, seeing as I made my deposit to Roseman University already. It's also a lot cheaper for me as Las Vegas is my hometown. Ugghhh, I don't know what to do. UW is my dream school!

Well I'd make a pros and cons list. And think hard about it. You can always withdraw from Roseman.

I GOT IN TODAY, I almost cried haha :DDDDDD

I was #14 on the alternate list, good luck to the rest of you waiting!! Don't give up :)

Reactions: 1 user
I GOT IN TODAY, I almost cried haha :DDDDDD

I was #14 on the alternate list, good luck to the rest of you waiting!! Don't give up :)

I LOL'd after reading your post. Thanks for giving me hope. I'm a pretty big guy but best believe I will cry once I get into pharmacy school :laugh:. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking and how was your first quarter at UW?