University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feraligator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looks like nobody has created a thread for Waterloo 2016 admissions and so I did. :) Let's try to be more active than the UofT thread.

To those who applied last year and got in, any advise on the interview part including the RC and essay?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I' m applying to Waterloo pharmacy this year too :)
Can someone tell me realistically what my chances of getting an interview are?
GPA: 79%
5 months of volunteer experience at a pharmacy
a year of volunteer experience at a dentist office
volunteered for the liberal party for two elections (don't think it's gonna matter for my application, but still ahah)
volunteered as a teacher's assistant for about 2 months
Extracurricular: I was frosh leader last year, and I'm member of two clubs at my school
I'm also looking for another pharmacy to volunteer at but I'm not having any luck.

Hey! I' m applying to Waterloo pharmacy this year too :)
Can someone tell me realistically what my chances of getting an interview are?
GPA: 79%
5 months of volunteer experience at a pharmacy
a year of volunteer experience at a dentist office
volunteered for the liberal party for two elections (don't think it's gonna matter for my application, but still ahah)
volunteered as a teacher's assistant for about 2 months
Extracurricular: I was frosh leader last year, and I'm member of two clubs at my school
I'm also looking for another pharmacy to volunteer at but I'm not having any luck.

Finally! somebody else posted something! lol. Judging by the level of inactivity of this thread, it looks like there aren't going to be a lot of applicants this year, which is good for us. Haha. UofT has a lot more applicants probably due to less academic requirements. Anyhow, I know someone who got in with just an 80% average, so you're definitely going to get an interview. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Nisheta - pretty likely. I got an interview with the same average, but somewhat more experience. You should look at getting a job as a pharmacy assistant.:)
Applying again as I had the dreaded "stone-faced interview panel" the first time. Also I'm socially awkward.

@Nisheta - pretty likely. I got an interview with the same average, but somewhat more experience. You should look at getting a job as a pharmacy assistant.:)
Applying again as I had the dreaded "stone-faced interview panel" the first time. Also I'm socially awkward.
If you didn't get an offer last June 2014, do you get to apply to the early admission for the class commencing winter 2015?

@feraligator and @pms_testosterone thanks for giving me hope guys!! haha
I know that having more experience will increase my chances but I have literally given out 20+ resumes to different pharmacies since August, but for some reason none of them are looking for volunteers. It's really frustrating.

@feraligator No, which makes sense from both the applicant's and the school's perspective. Would be kind of fishy for them to take everyone's application fees twice a year, wouldn't it?
@Nisheta Ok. I don't know anything about pharmacy volunteering, as I've never actually worked in a pharmacy that accepted volunteers who were not current pharmacy students; I meant more as paid work. But maybe that wouldn't be any easier.

hello everyone! I will share my stats here, I don't know if I have a chance. I applied last year but got rejected. do you guys know anyone who got an interview with these?
77% average; graduated
member of 2 clubs in university
volunteered as a mentor in university for a semester
volunteered in pharmacy for about 2 years part time
working at pharmacy full time for over a year
worked part time at a retail pharmacy
tutor gr 9-12 math for over a year now
-not a lot of extra curricular - sad to say. that is maybe where i am lacking in my application. plus my dreadful gpa.

Hello, I would like to share my stats, as I am curious whether if I will get an interview at all. First time applying to Waterloo.
80 % average; graduating this year.
I have been a member of 2 clubs in university (although does being a member even help?)
I volunteered at a patrolling services at the school for a year.
I worked at the library providing texts for disabled students for a year
I volunteered at a senior home for few years
I wrote news articles for a science newspaper at school
I worked in an office for one summer (simple filing in the States)
I started volunteering at a pharmacy this September - already did a month now

What do you guys think? Can I get an interview with this?
I understand that I probably lack in pharmacy experience.
Are the interviews tradiational? Thanks!

@a_fall Huh. I don't know why you were rejected; if you look at last year's thread, a couple people with lower GPAs than you got in. My best guess is that you should be very positive in your AIF essays, and emphasize your new activities and areas of improvement in the last year. If you don't currently volunteer anywhere, it may help to start. Those are just guesses, though.

@simon0923 (Since I'm already here and posting:) Yes, I think you have a good chance. You can always emphasize what you've learned in your pharmacy experience in your AIF essays.
The interview is very traditional; they simply as you a series of questions then ask if you have any.

Oh, I forgot. You have to give a 5-10-minute presentation on any topic at the beginning of the interview. But that, too, is pretty much how the website describes it - nothing tricky about it. You do not have access to a computer/PowerPoint to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I forgot. You have to give a 5-10-minute presentation on any topic at the beginning of the interview. But that, too, is pretty much how the website describes it - nothing tricky about it. You do not have access to a computer/PowerPoint to do that.
What about the RC and writing part? were they hard? Thanks.

@feraligator No, they were easy, but I recommend writing quickly if you want time to check your work, because the test is slightly long for the time allotted.

@a_fall Huh. I don't know why you were rejected; if you look at last year's thread, a couple people with lower GPAs than you got in. My best guess is that you should be very positive in your AIF essays, and emphasize your new activities and areas of improvement in the last year. If you don't currently volunteer anywhere, it may help to start. Those are just guesses, though.
yep that is the plan! thanks!

Do they interrupt you at all during the 5-10 min presentation? Thanks!

@feraligator My interview panel didn't, and didn't ask questions about the presentation afterwards, but I have heard other applicants (including at least one who was successful) have tried to make their presentations interactive.

Do they interrupt you at all during the 5-10 min presentation? Thanks!

@feraligator - I got in and I am starting next January. In my experience, the entreview pannel was very "cold". They interrupted me once for a clarification and did not talk to me afterwards except to ask me the interview questions. I think they are trying to be the least bias as possible. For my part, my presentation was more about things I did and got involved in. I didn't do anything interactive or exceptionnal and it seems it worked out just fine. My advise would be to practice your speach a couple of times before you get there and it should be just fine. :)

@feraligator - I got in and I am starting next January. In my experience, the entreview pannel was very "cold". They interrupted me once for a clarification and did not talk to me afterwards except to ask me the interview questions. I think they are trying to be the least bias as possible. For my part, my presentation was more about things I did and got involved in. I didn't do anything interactive or exceptionnal and it seems it worked out just fine. My advise would be to practice your speach a couple of times before you get there and it should be just fine. :)
Thanks @Sailfastliveslow! My speech is 5 only minutes long so far. 10 minutes is a bit too long for me. I feel like if I add more details, the panel would get bored. Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks @Sailfastliveslow! My speech is 5 only minutes long so far. 10 minutes is a bit too long for me. I feel like if I add more details, the panel would get bored. Any advice? Thanks!

Hi @zionRx, I don't really think that the length of your speech really matters. If you feel like adding more to it would make it lengthy then don't do it. I think that the point of it is to see what are your interests other then pharmacy/school and to make sure that applicants are well rounded individuals. In my opinion, the pannel should be able to name 2-3 of your qualities, values or sthrength at the end of your speech. If you do this in 5 minutes, then its perfect, no need to add more. Thats just my opinion, but that strategy worked for my anyway. :)

Reactions: 1 user
are any of you guys applying to other schools as well? I hate how all the pharmacy schools have different requirements and need different prerequisites :( I only have the prerequisites for Waterloo this year

are any of you guys applying to other schools as well? I hate how all the pharmacy schools have different requirements and need different prerequisites :( I only have the prerequisites for Waterloo this year
Tell me about it! We get the same degree regardless which school anyhow. :p I'm trying out my luck on UofT as well. I thought UoW was more demanding in terms of academic requirements...

do you guys know how important it is to have full load course? I'm doing **** in one of my classes but if i drop it then i would be one class short of having full course load.

do you guys know how important it is to have full load course? I'm doing **** in one of my classes but if i drop it then i would be one class short of having full course load.
As long as you don't do it on every semester. You should be fine.

Any tips for the interview part of the admissions? Thanks in advance! :)

Hey guys,

I will be applying this year also. Do you guys think I have enough of a chance?
82% CGPA, will graduate this year.
Volunteering: hospitals, CHEO, oldage homes
EC: President of a club, exec members of other clubs.
WORK: TA, lifeguard,
Does it look like i will get an interview even though I dont have any pharmacy experience. I am trying to get it this year and work with that.
I am getting a doctor who I shadow to write my reference.

Hey guys,

I will be applying this year also. Do you guys think I have enough of a chance?
82% CGPA, will graduate this year.
Volunteering: hospitals, CHEO, oldage homes
EC: President of a club, exec members of other clubs.
WORK: TA, lifeguard,
Does it look like i will get an interview even though I dont have any pharmacy experience. I am trying to get it this year and work with that.
I am getting a doctor who I shadow to write my reference.
Yes. You have a shot at getting an interview offer and probably getting admitted; however, it's better to have some pharmacy experience so you know if that's what you really want to do. Looking at your stats and experience, are you just using pharmacy as backup to med school?

Yes. You have a shot at getting an interview offer and probably getting admitted; however, it's better to have some pharmacy experience so you know if that's what you really want to do. Looking at your stats and experience, are you just using pharmacy as backup to med school?

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I was gunning med school in my first two years. I then realized that I couldn't make it because my CGPA was a bit on the lower side due to a couple of Bio courses. I had taken med chem, pharmacology and I loved organic chem and did really well in those courses (All of which I got A's and A+'s) which is why I beleive that pharmacy would be my best option. I also did research in a few labs as well and realized that I need person-person interaction in my life. Research is cool and all but I didn't find it motivated me enough. I will definitly take your suggestion and try to find some pharmacy experience. I had e-mailed some pharmacy's but no one replied, is there a better way maybe going in person?

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I was gunning med school in my first two years. I then realized that I couldn't make it because my CGPA was a bit on the lower side due to a couple of Bio courses. I had taken med chem, pharmacology and I loved organic chem and did really well in those courses (All of which I got A's and A+'s) which is why I beleive that pharmacy would be my best option. I also did research in a few labs as well and realized that I need person-person interaction in my life. Research is cool and all but I didn't find it motivated me enough. I will definitly take your suggestion and try to find some pharmacy experience. I had e-mailed some pharmacy's but no one replied, is there a better way maybe going in person?
Is 82% cGPA not acceptable in med school? I know somebody with a 90 cGPA but didn't get in to med school...If you're good at interviews and have a decent MCAT score, you'd probably have a shot at med school.
And yes, it's very hard to convince a pharmacist to accept you even in person. :p

It's not impossible to find one
You have a better chance going in person, but be prepared to go to at least 10+ pharmacies
Also, your best bet is in a hospital or an independent pharmacy
Retail tends to not want any volunteers, and a lot of the times it goes against their policies

Is 82% cGPA not acceptable in med school? I know somebody with a 90 cGPA but didn't get in to med school...If you're good at interviews and have a decent MCAT score, you'd probably have a shot at med school.
And yes, it's very hard to convince a pharmacist to accept you even in person. :p

Yeah 82% cGPA is not that great for med haha. You are right that interview plays a big roie but they also look at your gpa and if it is not above a 90% it is even tougher, most likely not even going to make it.
Are any of you guys also applying to U of T pharm to?

Yeah 82% cGPA is not that great for med haha. You are right that interview plays a big roie but they also look at your gpa and if it is not above a 90% it is even tougher, most likely not even going to make it.
Are any of you guys also applying to U of T pharm to?

definitely try going in person. I gave out 20+ resumes and only got a call from one pharmacy so I totally understand how frustrating it is.
I'm only applying to Waterloo this year, I don't have all the prereqs for uoft yet :(

definitely try going in person. I gave out 20+ resumes and only got a call from one pharmacy so I totally understand how frustrating it is.
I'm only applying to Waterloo this year, I don't have all the prereqs for uoft yet :(

Thanks! ill keep that in mind.
I am applyng to U of T for pharmacy to. I got a 75 on the PCAT (don't know if that is good enough? any thoughts?) but managed to kill the sciences (90+). VR and RC (I pass the cutoff in each by 15-20) are the only ones weighing me down. I even got a 4 in writing. Well here's to the best of it lol.

Hey guys, I was wondering what my chances are.

GPA: Around 78ish
EC:Members of clubs, nothing too big. (Essentially nothing lol)
Pharmacy Experience: Worked at a pharmacy for a summer.

I believe I have a slim chance but might as well apply.

Hey guys, I was wondering what my chances are.

GPA: Around 78ish
EC:Members of clubs, nothing too big. (Essentially nothing lol)
Pharmacy Experience: Worked at a pharmacy for a summer.

I believe I have a slim chance but might as well apply.

I think you got a good shot. If you get the interview, kill that and you will be in. Seems like people with 75% have gotten to. So anything is possible,

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great holiday. So I'm filling my AIF now, and for the question about 'special circumstances' I am planning to write about retaking cell biology. I retook it to upgrade my mark since I got a C the first time and an A the second time I took it. The reason I failed to get a good mark the first time was some family issues I was having at the time and working 20 hours a week. Is that a reasonable excuse to perform poorly in a course though? Is this going to make them think I'm not able to perform well under pressure?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi all,
I finally found the applicants forum and I am very hopeful to get in this year. This is my first time applying and the waterloo program is what I really want to do. I am in my third year of Bio here are my stats:

cGPA: around 3.65, not sure of the percentages since we don't get them at York but in the A- range
ECs: -part time job for over 2 years, as a receptionist
-hospital volunteer for over 2 years
-a mentor for incoming first year students
-Research assistant volunteer in a biology lab for a summer
-An executive member of a club last year
-Frosh leader
-Previous part time/summer jobs (barista, summer camp councellor, admin assistant)
-Scholarship recipient to do an exchange for a month in Europe

Pharmacy Experience: Volunteering in a pharmacy since february 2014 and I got a reference letter from the Pharmacist.

Do you guys think I can get an interview?

Last edited:
Hi .
for those of you who are working on or did work on the Information Form, am I expected to fill in all those 2500 words or even 1500 words for the essays?
What if my point gets across by 800 words or so? is that okay you think?

Hey guys, I hope you all are having a great holiday. So I'm filling my AIF now, and for the question about 'special circumstances' I am planning to write about retaking cell biology. I retook it to upgrade my mark since I got a C the first time and an A the second time I took it. The reason I failed to get a good mark the first time was some family issues I was having at the time and working 20 hours a week. Is that a reasonable excuse to perform poorly in a course though? Is this going to make them think I'm not able to perform well under pressure?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)
in my opinion, just be honest and be direct about why you did not do as well as you wished the first time. I also have a similar thing in mine.

Hey guys, I've had this pressing questions on my mind. I'm applyng from McMaster, and they have a letter grading system. I have B which is 73-76. This falls right on the cut off so im wondering whether i am eligible. I looked through OMSAS and I correlates to a 3.0 GPA. I also mentioned in my AIF that i was very very ill last semester during a certain period of time, which is why one of my marks are very low. I was wondering whether waterloo actually takes these into consideration. what do you guys think? about the GPA part, because i am so confused as to whether i make it or not!!

Hey guys, I've had this pressing questions on my mind. I'm applyng from McMaster, and they have a letter grading system. I have B which is 73-76. This falls right on the cut off so im wondering whether i am eligible. I looked through OMSAS and I correlates to a 3.0 GPA. I also mentioned in my AIF that i was very very ill last semester during a certain period of time, which is why one of my marks are very low. I was wondering whether waterloo actually takes these into consideration. what do you guys think? about the GPA part, because i am so confused as to whether i make it or not!!

Hi! Go ahead and apply! I know someone who applied from McMaster with a B range average and got in. Just work hard on your AIF and prepare for your interview and exam! At UW they don't just consider your grades but the application as a whole. Make sure you explain the special circumstances at the time you received a low grade in one of your courses and you should have a good chance. Good luck!

Hi! Go ahead and apply! I know someone who applied from McMaster with a B range average and got in. Just work hard on your AIF and prepare for your interview and exam! At UW they don't just consider your grades but the application as a whole. Make sure you explain the special circumstances at the time you received a low grade in one of your courses and you should have a good chance. Good luck!
Any tips on how to prepare for the exam part of admission? Thanks!

Any tips on how to prepare for the exam part of admission? Thanks!

Don't really think there is a way to prepare for the exam. You don't know what topics you will get for the writing part for example. Because you guys have experience with exams at University level you should be able to do well on this exam. The time to write the exam is kind of limited however, so make sure you work quickly through all sections.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Is this what you guys are using the convert your grades?
If so and I did mine correctly I fall between 77-79. So many B+'s holding me down. I really wish they took PCAT scores

I read somewhere that the class size is 120 and that they aim to interview 240. Does anyone know how many applicants they get each year?

Do you guys know how they look at not-full course loads? I dropped a course last semester and considering dropping one now. They told me once in a while is fine, but this is going to be two semesters in a row.... would that kill my chances?

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Is this what you guys are using the convert your grades?
If so and I did mine correctly I fall between 77-79. So many B+'s holding me down. I really wish they took PCAT scores

I read somewhere that the class size is 120 and that they aim to interview 240. Does anyone know how many applicants they get each year?

That's the chart I use to convert my grades. But we have letter grades at york so it's hard to find out my exact average in percentages.
and I read on their website that about 600 people apply each year.

Hey guys!

I have a 4.0 cGPA (~92%) and I hve over 150 hours in a community and hospital pharmacy spanning the last two years. My EC's include 1st year bio Supported learning group leader/TA, orientation week leader, best buddies mentor, and I've had a part-time job in every term in school with on-campus residence (ie. Residence ambassador, porter). I'm currently in my 2nd year at UW but I'm concerned about my application because I applied for cap in grade 12 with about a 90% average and some pharmacy experience and I didn't get an interview. Can anyone that got accepted tell me what my chances of getting an interview are?

Thanks!
Good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 user
well i just realized, that my cumulative average at the end of this year will be about 75% at the highest, however, my cGPA will be higher than 3.0. My cumulative average is dropping because of my first where i did terrible, however my cGPA is much higher because this year im doing much better in my courses and im taking 1.0 credit with a really good mark in it. im wondering if anybody knows if the average is going to affect me ? also i took orgo in the summer, does anybody know if they are taken into my gpa/average ?