University of Wisconsin c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had empty mailbox. Maybe tomorrow or Friday. Ugh, more waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm from LI. I did apply to a few more places but nothing but rejections thus far (still waiting to hear from Michigan, Illinois, and UGA...but of course if I got rejected from Mississippi State and Purdue I doubt I'll get into any of those other schools). I suppose I will just have to try and contact some equine facilities and hope it works out this summer. That's a good idea about contacting universities around me for more research experience, I'll give it that a try too. What do you mean about the personal statement? I can ask the vet schools about it and they'll advise me on things that I should change?

Hey! Yeah, it's a good idea to call the schools and see if they can talk to you about it. The personal statement is a fairly large part of some apps, so they can maybe give you some advice on it. Of course if it's a great letter then you are all set! But it's worth a try.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome! I mean definitely not that you totaled your car and that you were in danger but your response to the cop. Brought a smile to my face. Heading out to check my mail in a little bit, hoping for some sort of letter from Wisconsin (hopefully good news but not likely).

For those on the waitlist, how did you find out your waitlist position? Did the letter state your position or did you have to contact the school?

They included waitlist positions in the actual letter

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Yeah, it's a good idea to call the schools and see if they can talk to you about it. The personal statement is a fairly large part of some apps, so they can maybe give you some advice on it. Of course if it's a great letter then you are all set! But it's worth a try.
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Sorry for stalking again, but yes the weather is THAT bad :) Haha we didn't get above zero for about 2 weeks.

Well I know. I live in Wisconsin. Haha. It really wasn't bad. Maybe a month ago, yes. With -55 windchills. But recently? No. Wayyyyyyy better. Haha.

Sorry for stalking again, but yes the weather is THAT bad :) Haha we didn't get above zero for about 2 weeks.

How do you even dress for that?? If I choose UW, I'm going to need one of you northerners to teach me your ways. Like a frigid condition survival guide or something. Haha

How do you even dress for that?? If I choose UW, I'm going to need one of you northerners to teach me your ways. Like a frigid condition survival guide or something. Haha

Well I've lived here my whole life, but for some reason I get a lot colder than my fellow Northerners. :)
I usually am wearing 3-4 long sleeve shirts and a sweatshirt along with my coat. I also wear long underwear on most days. And SCARVES!!

Well I've lived here my whole life, but for some reason I get a lot colder than my fellow Northerners. :)
I usually am wearing 3-4 long sleeve shirts and a sweatshirt along with my coat. I also wear long underwear on most days. And SCARVES!!

Hahah New York gets its fair share of horrid winters too. But there's something about the wind chill here that is impossible to escape from.

Me too! I'm from IL, about 15 min from the WI border, so not TOO far from Madison. A part of me said I should have applied to places a bit warmer than the midwest, but I'm sure I can suck it up :)

It's 42 and beautiful in Madison right now!:)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They included waitlist positions in the actual letter
One more question, what's the envelope like for those that have been wait listed? Is it a plain white envelope?

I apologize but I feel like The longer I have to wait, the more I start over analyzing things and wanting to know minor details.

One more question, what's the envelope like for those that have been wait listed? Is it a plain white envelope?

I apologize but I feel like The longer I have to wait, the more I start over analyzing things and wanting to know minor details.

I think waitlisted people get a small white envelope.

I got my acceptance call last Tuesday and haven't gotten the brown envelope yet...mail in my state is officially the slowest on the planet...

Yup, small white envelope for Waitlisters.

I go to school in Fond du Lac and omg the snow is melting!!

I finally got to go on a long walk with my dog after classes! (She's even more of a wimp with the cold/snow than I am...)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! So, just curious...has anyone else not gotten anything in the mail yet? I live in Madison, so I figured I'd be one of the first to find out. But so far, nothing whatsoever :(

Thanks lso5013 and PatF! Hoping for something in the mail today.

Thanks lso5013 and PatF! Hoping for something in the mail today.

No problem! Still trying to figure out how people in places like FL and NY (a lot farther away from UW than TN) got their letters before I did...again, my state's mail system is incredibly backwards...ha

Hi everyone! So, just curious...has anyone else not gotten anything in the mail yet? I live in Madison, so I figured I'd be one of the first to find out. But so far, nothing whatsoever :(

I also live in Madison and haven't received a letter yet. My friend who also applied (and got rejected :( ) got his letter back on Saturday. I am glad to hear I'm not the only Madison-ian who has yet to receive a letter. Definitely getting anxious though!

I'm in!!!! Hoping that you get similarly good news today, tehaymee (and anyone else that's still waiting).

Hi mcmom! I'm from Madison, actually, so try not to worry! (I know, that's fruitless. But hopefully you find out soon!)

Also, just thought I'd share a funny/horrifying story for those of you who haven't heard back yet: When I was taking ochem a couple of years ago, most of the students had gotten grades on a recent midterm back, and I still hadn't heard anything. I asked my friend if he had gotten his, and he also hadn't gotten his score. Finally, after several days, I email the professor (I also had my grandpa's funeral, and my friend was also having family issues, ie we did NOT need this extra stress). So, how did the story end? My professor emails me back, saying that he found my (as well as my friend's and about five other students') ungraded exam in a garbage can. Apparently my TA accidentally threw away a pile of exams!

...Sorry. I don't want to feed any paranoia :( I'm sure that everyone's letters will be coming soon! There just aren't very many opportunities for me to tell that story....

I was soooo expecting something in the mail today and NOTHING. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow... the day I'm also supposed to find out about another school!

I was soooo expecting something in the mail today and NOTHING. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow... the day I'm also supposed to find out about another school!

Still waiting on mine too...weird cause I shouldn't be anxious to get this letter when I've already found out...ha

Still waiting on mine too...weird cause I shouldn't be anxious to get this letter when I've already found out...ha
At least you know already but I totally understand. I didn't want to celebrate when I saw on the U of I portal that I had been invited for an interview till I received the actual letter. Then everybody else started to celebrate without the letter so I gave in and let myself be happy.

Accepted!! I got my letter in Chicago yesterday (I am OOS, IL) , and have finally had a moment to post. Everyone check their mail tomorrow! :)

Accepted!! I got my letter in Chicago yesterday (I am OOS, IL) , and have finally had a moment to post. Everyone check their mail tomorrow! :)

Congrats!!! Happy to finally see another OOSer :D

I'm from a northwest suburb of Chicago! Are you in the city?

I'm from a northwest suburb of Chicago! Are you in the city?

My mom lives in the city, she moved there after I started college so I've "technically" never lived there. I call Champaign, IL home, at University of Illinois!

Finally gave up and gave them a call. Turns out my full address wasn't on the envelope (missing my apartment number) so the letter had been returned. Being sent out asap so I can finally get an answer. Not saying this situation happened to anybody else, but the woman I spoke to said letters were sent out Feb 14th, so if you haven't heard yet, maybe give them a call?

Long underwear/thermal layers. Seriously, you will get frostbite in strange places otherwise when walking any distance outside. Warm, bulky scarf, fur-lined trapper hat that covers cheeks & ears. I also layer light knit gloves (with the smartphone finger thingy) inside bulky mittens. I buy the kind of mittens that are intended for chopping wood; they're cowhide lined with wool. Okay, I'm pretty thin (no natural insulation) and a total wuss about the cold even though I'm a native to the area, but hey, I stay warm.

Reactions: 2 users
The Wisconsin winter is upon us. One more week till the Open House - get psyched!!! For those who haven't already, join the Class of 2018 Facebook group :)

Got my answer, IS rejection. Thank god I got into somewhere else >< I do find it funny that I got rejected at my IS, but accepted OOS, where the odds were much more greatly against me.

Got my answer, IS rejection. Thank god I got into somewhere else >< I do find it funny that I got rejected at my IS, but accepted OOS, where the odds were much more greatly against me.

Same happened to me. :)

Hey guys! So I'm waitlisted OOS but am considering moving to Wisconsin and establishing residency. Problem is I have other offers (Penn, Ohio, Tufts,UF and Mizzou) but can't set up a tour of the school until after April 15th. Does anyone have any feedback on the school? How are the facilities and the caseload? How do they compare to the schools I got into? Etc.. I would loooooove some more info, I'm interested in large animal/public health btw =)

I've officially decided to go to Wisconsin!! So excited to be a Badger! :banana:

I declined my acceptance.
Hope someone from this thread gets in.
Good luck :]