University of Wisconsin-Madison - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumkinhp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread since interviews start in two days! I am excited, seeing as I think this might be my first choice. Who else is interviewing??

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be interviewing Thursday afternoon. I can't wait to check out the campus. This is definitely my first choice...Wisconsinite for life lol.

Nice! I am interviewing tomorrow morning. I am from Michigan though, so I am more nervous about getting in since they have to have 73% in state students

Members don't see this ad :)
After interviewing, I am so excited to hear back in march! What did everyone else think about the interviews?

The interview was great. Jeremy A. is a pretty awesome director of admissions, and Madison as a city is a beautiful place to live. My top two choices are definitely Madison and Minnesota (Michigan's out of state tuition is very high), and so I'm looking forward to hearing back from them in March as well. It just stinks that we have to wait so long!

The interview was great. Jeremy A. is a pretty awesome director of admissions, and Madison as a city is a beautiful place to live. My top two choices are definitely Madison and Minnesota (Michigan's out of state tuition is very high), and so I'm looking forward to hearing back from them in March as well. It just stinks that we have to wait so long!

When was your Minnesota interview?

I agree! I interviewed at minnesota on Dec. 6th and just got my acceptance to the duluth campus. So I think I am putting my deposit down there because i would love going there, I just think that Madison is a better fit for me... But waiting until march is going to be way too hard. Do you hear back from Minnesota soon?

I interview next Friday, so I won't hear back till probably end of February. Madison campus has so much to offer and cheaper and has a great program too, I'm a Minnesotan so if I get into both its going to be a difficult decision.

I agree! I interviewed at minnesota on Dec. 6th and just got my acceptance to the duluth campus. So I think I am putting my deposit down there because i would love going there, I just think that Madison is a better fit for me... But waiting until march is going to be way too hard. Do you hear back from Minnesota soon?

I heard back from Minnesota yesterday and was accepted to the Twin Cities Campus. Very exciting! It wasn't until I visited Madison on Thursday that I really started to feel conflicted. I am in a similar predicament as you right now!

When was your Minnesota interview?

My interview was early December, and I am a Wisconsin resident so like you I would be receiving in-state tuition no matter which school I go to (reciprocity rocks!). But like you said the decision between the two will be very difficult.

I am a 1st year at Madison so if you have any questions, post them and I will try to answer any questions I can

Reactions: 1 user
I am a 1st year at Madison so if you have any questions, post them and I will try to answer any questions I can

- Where else did you get accepted to?
- Why Madison?
- How comfortable is student life in the city (besides pharmacy school)?
- What is your favorite and least favorite thing about your decision to attend Madison?

- Where else did you get accepted to?
- Why Madison?
- How comfortable is student life in the city (besides pharmacy school)?
- What is your favorite and least favorite thing about your decision to attend Madison?

I got accepted to Concordia but I also applied to Minnesota and Cincinnati but I actually cancelled my interviews from both because after the interview at Madison and the feedback I received I had a good feeling that I would get in and it was instate tuition for me.

I did my undergrad at Madison so I had been exposed to some of the professors in some of the electives I took and all of them were very approachable and really knew their stuff. All of the professors really want you to be successful and they know you are busy and try to accommodate your schedule as much as they can.

Madison as a city always has something going on. It is a great city for students to live in. You get a bus pass to use on the bus system which will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go. Downtown really has everything you need when it comes to restaurants and entertainment. Apartments in the downtown area are kind of expensive but just depends where you are from, they may seem inexpensive to you. Basically Madison is what you make it, there is plenty of activities for everyone including plenty of bike paths and nearby parks, that I haven't talked to anyone saying they didn't like Madison.

My favorite thing about UW-Madison is that even though there are around 140 in each class, everyone is really close and you feel like you actually know your classmates. Even 2nd and 3rd years are easy to get to know and they want to help you succeed as well. The least favorite thing so far is that the first semester is kind of a waste. You don't really learn too much pharmacy related. Most of the classes you take will have been stuff you have already seen before so it can seem a little boring. Second semester though the classes seem like they will be more related to pharmacy so it is really only the first semester that is that way.

Thanks for the response pharm199109, and congratulations on making it on to Madison's Pharm.D. program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response pharm199109, and congratulations on making it on to Madison's Pharm.D. program!
No problem! Anyone can ask questions if they have them and I will try my best to remember to check back now that classes start again on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone! I know waiting so long is really hard

I am out of state. But where are good places to live or apartments to rent? If I get accepted I just want to know so I can start looking and know where to apply if I get accepted!

I am out of state. But where are good places to live or apartments to rent? If I get accepted I just want to know so I can start looking and know where to apply if I get accepted!
Most pharmacy students live on University Ave. since it is within walking distance to the pharmacy school. The company that owns most of the apartments down in that area is Goldleaf Development

http://goldleafdevelopment.com/

Hey pharm199109, what was your PCAT, GPA, and extracurriculars? I'm just curious...I have a 3.67 cummulative (3.60 science) gpa, a 91 PCAT, and Pharmacy tech plus other volunteering experience. Basically, my life depends on getting accepted into Madison. These next 6 weeks are going to be hell until I get a response (even worse if I don't get in).

Hey pharm199109, what was your PCAT, GPA, and extracurriculars? I'm just curious...I have a 3.67 cummulative (3.60 science) gpa, a 91 PCAT, and Pharmacy tech plus other volunteering experience. Basically, my life depends on getting accepted into Madison. These next 6 weeks are going to be hell until I get a response (even worse if I don't get in).

Your chance looks great.
https://pharmacy.wisc.edu/education/doctor-pharmacy-program/pharmd-admissions/admission-statistics

You have a really good shot at getting in. I had a 3.5, 87 PCAT, 2 years of pharmacy tech experience. Sorry it took so long to respond, classes have been pretty busy already.

You have a really good shot at getting in. I had a 3.5, 87 PCAT, 2 years of pharmacy tech experience. Sorry it took so long to respond, classes have been pretty busy already.
No problems, thanks for getting back to me. Good luck moving forward.

Hopefully only 4 more weeks until we hear back!!

Hopefully only 4 more weeks until we hear back!!
Yeah I know. I'll be glad when this is over. Do you think they'll send us an actually letter in the mail in addition to an email? I think it would be pretty cool to have a physical copy of your acceptance. However, if I'm rejected...an email would be enough.

Yeah I know. I'll be glad when this is over. Do you think they'll send us an actually letter in the mail in addition to an email? I think it would be pretty cool to have a physical copy of your acceptance. However, if I'm rejected...an email would be enough.

Yeah I think they send us a copy of it in the mail along with information about the program and everything if we are accepted. And I would only want an email if I was rejected too... Don't need to see it twice...

I never received a copy in the mail last year. They sent an email stating that the decisions have been posted on the online application site and once you log in your decision is there.

Good luck to everyone! Admissions committee should start meeting later this week and through next week based off what one of my professors on the committee said. Usually the decisions go out the week after that but not sure on the timeline this year as there are multiple dean candidate presentations going on the next couple weeks that most of the professors are attending.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm happy Jeremy sent out that email! I'm hoping we hear sooner than the 14th but at least he have us a date!

I have an odd question for a current UW-Madison pharmacy student: UW-Madison has an undergraduate reputaion of sometimes being known as a 'party school' even though their students may be considered above average academically. Does this repuation cross over into the UW-Madison's professional programs such as the pharmacy program? I am somewhat of a serious student and I want to know if I will be in the minority, or if I will be an outcast, if I don't participate. Or does it make a difference where you live??

I have an odd question for a current UW-Madison pharmacy student: UW-Madison has an undergraduate reputaion of sometimes being known as a 'party school' even though their students may be considered above average academically. Does this repuation cross over into the UW-Madison's professional programs such as the pharmacy program? I am somewhat of a serious student and I want to know if I will be in the minority, or if I will be an outcast, if I don't participate. Or does it make a difference where you live??

I would say you would not be in the minority. There are definitely some pharmacy students that like to have a good time but they do not judge you for not going out and drinking. It is somewhat dependent on each class as ours is a little more laid back then the current 2nd years but you will definitely not be in the minority. Many students in pharmacy school usually go out on Fridays and sometimes after exams but that is about it. The closer you get to the regular undergrad campus the higher the likelihood that the apartments are louder and have more parties but otherwise it doesn't really matter where you live.

I'm happy Jeremy sent out that email! I'm hoping we hear sooner than the 14th but at least he have us a date!

It will most likely be the 14th. How it worked last year was they finish up making decisions this week and then the beginning of next week they meet again to make sure they didn't miss anything and to verify the decisions they made.

It will most likely be the 14th. How it worked last year was they finish up making decisions this week and then the beginning of next week they meet again to make sure they didn't miss anything and to verify the decisions they made.

Awesome! Thanks, at least now i won't be checking my email at least 50 times a day haha

Hopefully decisions are released tomorrow!!!! I'm getting excited and nervous!

I'm fighting the urge to email Jeremy and ask if we're still going to hear tomorrow...anyone else compulsively checking their email?

I'm fighting the urge to email Jeremy and ask if we're still going to hear tomorrow...anyone else compulsively checking their email?

I am checking my email and the website... I just want to know!

Decisions are posted!!!!! I got in!!! I can't wait to start in the fall!

I got in too! Congrats everyone.
Do we have UW 2018 Facebook page yet?

I got in too! Congrats everyone.
Do we have UW 2018 Facebook page yet?

When you login to your application, and then activate your NetID if you login to the intranet then the checklist has a link to it!

I got into Madison!! I have decided to go to University of North Carolina instead but I wish you all good luck in your PY1!

Does anyone know whether it is better to have a mac or pc for pharmacy school? I wasn't sure if there are programs that aren't compatible with a mac or anything.

I don't think it matters whether you have a PC or a MAC for SoP.

Anybody looking for a roommate or know anybody looking for one?

I'm from Michigan looking to apply for the up coming cycle. What do you think about a 3.75 gpa and 74 (prelim) PCAT? I have tons of volunteer experience in and out of healthcare. Including volunteering in a pharmacy, shadowing in a hospital, and volunteer at health clinics taking patients cholesterol and blood pressure. Im still debating if I should retake the PCAT or if my score is competitive enough.

The average PCAT for Fall 2013 admitted students was 80, so you are a bit below that.

The average GPA for Fall 2014 admitted students was 3.6.

There are 140 spots in the class, with just 40 for non-Wisconsin residents and internationals.

The average PCAT for Fall 2013 admitted students was 80, so you are a bit below that.

The average GPA for Fall 2014 admitted students was 3.6.

There are 140 spots in the class, with just 40 for non-Wisconsin residents and internationals.

Thanks for replying!

What do you think my chances are? I'm going to finish up my app and submit soon.