University of Wollongong Student Here - Ask Me Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RateMyResidency

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm a Canadian student studying at the University of Wollongong's Graduate School of Medicine. I'm currently in my second year at the GSM and am heading into my end-of-phase exams in June. I know I used these types of forums a lot when I was figuring out where I wanted to go so I figured I'd return the favour. Ask me anything you've ever wanted to know about studying medicine in Australia and I'll do my best to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Are internationals at your school gaining Australian internship in public hospitals?

As per the other thread that you've been posting in, qldking:

"
So far I'm happy to say that all of our graduates who have sought Australian internships have gained them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

First of all thank you for making yourself available on this forum to other prospective students. As a prospective international medical student at UWO, it makes such a difference to have first-hand knowledge. I was just wondering if you could tell me:

1) what are the pros and cons of the UOW GSM?

2) And in terms of residencies and matching back home.. do all the graduates from UOW end up having to do rural medicine residencies, or have graduates attained residencies in cities, in say surgery, internal med, etc. ?

Hope to hear back from you!

Cheers!

Hi! I am really interested in the program and am from the US. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer:
1. Have international students had success getting internships in Australia or residencies in the US/Canada?
2. Does the school give international students time to prepare for the USMLE Step 1?
3. Have you had a positive experience in the program thus far, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!