UNLV and UF Jacksonville programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EV-Stentor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the UNLV GS program. I interviewed there and got a good vibe from one of the Vasc. surgeons but can't find much info on the place and i am not sure how i should rank it. Also can anyone comment on Columbia-NYPH and UF Jacksonville? Thanks and good luck to all of you!!
PS: dr oliver and Kim cox your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at the Columbia program. As with any program, it has its good points and bad points. There is NO trauma and they are weak in peds and plastics. Furthermore, NYC is incredibly expensive. Residents are given a $3000/year housing stipend, which, according to one resident, covers about a month and a half of rent. The program also appeared to be very inbred. Half or more of each year's residency class had done med school at Columbia. Ancillary services are terrible - apparently it is not uncommon to see interns wheeling their patients to x-ray. Two lab years aren't required per se, but everyone goes into the lab.

Having said all that, Columbia is very strong in cardiac/thoracic and colorectal. All the residents seemed happy and said they operate early and often. They actually average 1500 cases/year, which can be perceived as a negative. And hey, it's Columbia, an ivy league school. You aren't going to go wrong with having that on your resume if you want to become an academic surgeon.

Can't comment on UNLV or Jacksonville as I didn't interview there.

I don't know much about the Jacksonville program per se. One of my best friends did an externship there 5 years ago & thought it was just OK. I've heard they've had some administrative problems, but I don't know anything really.