UNLV interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I went to the interview and they were questions that should be expected including:
Why UNLV/why here? Why do you want to be a PT? What qualities do you think you have that would make you a good PT? How do you handle stress? Do you have any questions for us?

I had Dr. Hickman and she was very low key. The interviews were one-on-one with a professor and a clinical PT (alum).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As everyone else said they really just want to make sure you will get along with everyone else in the program.

Questions were pretty general: why PT, describing myself, talking about shadowing experiences, life balance ... It wasn't as scripted as other interviews that I have had and I didn't feel like any of the questions were made to catch me off guard. Like smuttle said, just be yourself and don't stress out.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a weird question, but is the campus tour a ton of walking? I'm wearing heels for the interview, and I'm trying to decide if I should bring other shoes to change into for it.

Some wore heels during the interview and tour, but I might bring an extra pair of shoes to be comfortable. They have a rather large campus and although you won't walk to many of the buildings on the tour they will walk you across campus to look at the fitness center and you will be glad you brought a change of shoes. Mind you I am a guy so what do I know. :)

I took a walk around the campus the night before and I probably walked a good 2 hours going into the various buildings.

I liked the program, students and faculty, although the program is rather small and they only have 2 dedicated classrooms for teaching. They had what seemed to be some cool research facilities however I haven't been to my other interviews or had a tour of Washington U in St Louis so I don't know how it directly compares to these programs. Campus was nice and the weather was wonderful, however I have gotten used to Pacific Northwest weather and imagine I would find it hot in the Summer. But you are from Phoenix so I imagine you won't have any issues.

I liked the program, students and faculty, although the program is rather small and they only have 2 dedicated classrooms for teaching. They had what seemed to be some cool research facilities however I haven't been to my other interviews or had a tour of Washington U in St Louis so I don't know how it directly compares to these programs. Campus was nice and the weather was wonderful, however I have gotten used to Pacific Northwest weather and imagine I would find it hot in the Summer. But you are from Phoenix so I imagine you won't have any issues.

Nice. I'll go see for myself this weekend. :D

Kind of a weird question, but is the campus tour a ton of walking? I'm wearing heels for the interview, and I'm trying to decide if I should bring other shoes to change into for it.
I wore heels and was fine. If you are set on heels make sure to wear something comfortable that you can walk or stand in for 3-4 hours. I wouldn't wear anything higher that 2.5 inches. If you do decide to bring a different set of shoes they give you a drawstring bag with a water bottle that you can put your second pair in.

knj are you gonna be there on the 30th?

Also what are we doing at the interview? I know we start in the early morning so is it just tour and interview and that's it? Long 5 hours....

They have three groups of interviews subdivided into individual times for interviews. One group interviews at 8:00, one at 9:00 and one at 10:00. You will be told when your individual interview is within that timeframe. You will interview with one clinical PT and one Professor. The other two groups will do a campus tour or a department tour. For example I took a campus tour at 8:00. We came back and my interview time was at 9:00 but one person interviewed before me so I was at 9:30. Then my group reconvened and we took a department tour. All groups then sat down, were introduced to the faculty and then we introduced ourselves in front of the other interviewers, interviewees and PT students including an interesting/fun fact about yourself. So come up with some interesting fact beforehand is my suggestion. Then you can mingle for a bit before everyone goes on their merry way. Hope that helps. Good luck and congrats on getting the interview!

Reactions: 1 users
knj are you gonna be there on the 30th?

Also what are we doing at the interview? I know we start in the early morning so is it just tour and interview and that's it? Long 5 hours....

Assuming you got the same email I did for the interview invite, and assuming you have read through this and other threads about UNLV on SDN, you know as much about the interview day as I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you got the same email I did for the interview invite, and assuming you have read through this and other threads about UNLV on SDN, you know as much about the interview day as I do.
Ah that second question wasn't geared towards you. Couldn't remember if LV had a 31st interview day or not. Thanks for the deets, therapitize!

Also, admission decisions will be made by February 6th.

Cool. Thanks again! I wonder if they'll do a campus tour if it rains on Friday like it says it will...

Everyone, good luck tomorrow on their interviews! Hope the weather stays nice and that the visit is enjoyable.

I wore heels and was fine. If you are set on heels make sure to wear something comfortable that you can walk or stand in for 3-4 hours. I wouldn't wear anything higher that 2.5 inches. If you do decide to bring a different set of shoes they give you a drawstring bag with a water bottle that you can put your second pair in.
Awesome, thanks so much!

that was not bad at all. feel like all other interviews are going to be much worse.

that was not bad at all. feel like all other interviews are going to be much worse.

Yeah, I have got to agree with you. UNLV was a laid back day. I can only hope to have similar at other schools, but I can only expect that the other schools will be a little more challenging.

I agree. The interview was very conversational and I appreciated the fact that the interviewers actually read my application beforehand and asked questions specifically about my experiences rather than reading off a script. They seemed like a very student-oriented program and the research laboratories they have there are just fantastic. As someone coming from a research background, I have to say I was pretty psyched about that.

Overall I really got good feels. :thumbup:

And from the sound of it, every pair of interviewers asked totally different questions so there aren't really any particular ones to count on getting or not getting. I guess all the interviews are over for this season, but just wanted to make a note of this for the record for future pre-PTs searching this thread.

In my interviews the questions started off being specifically based on my application and then seemed like the remainder were made up off the cuff based on the direction the interview took. I could be wrong, but it didn't seem like they had any questions they particularly were set on asking. Also, it sounded like every interviewing faculty/clinician pair was different so my experience may not represent everyone's.

So I guess everyone who interviewed (23rd or 30th) is gonna find out around the end of this week?

Now we wait... :scared:

Edit: Had to wait all of 5 hours after making this post lol!

Last edited:
And from the sound of it, every pair of interviewers asked totally different questions so there aren't really any particular ones to count on getting or not getting. I guess all the interviews are over for this season, but just wanted to make a note of this for the record for future pre-PTs searching this thread.

In my interviews the questions started off being specifically based on my application and then seemed like the remainder were made up off the cuff based on the direction the interview took. I could be wrong, but it didn't seem like they had any questions they particularly were set on asking. Also, it sounded like every interviewing faculty/clinician pair was different so my experience may not represent everyone's.

Mine were pretty similar to what Therapitize had detailed though. Maybe we just had the same interviewer? I guess it's also based off what you wrote in your essay because I got a couple questions regarding that as well.

Waiting game is killing me.

knj - I'm trying to remember who you are but I can't place a face to anyone saying they went to an arizona school (which is where you went I assume from your pic?). Heard a lot of BYU and NM and of course the nevada schools

Mine were pretty similar to what Therapitize had detailed though. Maybe we just had the same interviewer? I guess it's also based off what you wrote in your essay because I got a couple questions regarding that as well.

Waiting game is killing me.

knj - I'm trying to remember who you are but I can't place a face to anyone saying they went to an arizona school (which is where you went I assume from your pic?). Heard a lot of BYU and NM and of course the nevada schools

There were definitely an amazing number of BYU students there...

Last edited:
Gaaah! Just got an email letting me know that I got accepted with a scholarship! I was in the first batch of interviews. I hope good news is coming for the rest of you through the week!

Reactions: 2 users
Holy smokes! Just got an acceptance email! And I was in the Jan. 30th batch. So much for having to wait until Friday!

:wow:

Gaaah! Just got an email letting me know that I got accepted with a scholarship! I was in the first batch of interviews. I hope good news is coming for the rest of you through the week!

:highfive: :banana: :clap:

Yes! High success rate for SDN'ers so far! Considering only a third of those interviewed will get accepted, we seem to be doing pretty well around here! :banana:

Last edited:
No news for me yet :( Congrats to you though!
I'm on the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I feel like its not going to be good news. Congrats to everyone who got in :)!

Congrats! I didn't know they were already handing out scholarships. How much was the scholarship?

It was for $5k for the first semester...I was pretty surprised myself. $5k less for student loans is enough to make me excited.

I was accepted!!! I will pay the deposit and see what NAU has to offer. Congrats to all of you that got in too!

Damn, that's amazing! How did u apply for the scholarship?

It was for $5k for the first semester...I was pretty surprised myself. $5k less for student loans is enough to make me excited.