UNLV or UOP for SoCal Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaHelix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A hard choice between these two schools. UNLV is technically closer to me and significantly less expensive. However UOP facilities were so modern and advanced, really seems it's claim of being "The Disneyland of dental schools" is true. The staff at both schools was ultra friendly. I'm a bit older (non trad) and the UOP students seemed very young. During my interview most were from Pacific and were 10 years younger than me. At UNLV many of the students were closer to my age and we'd probably have similar interests.

Cost wise I can rent a mansion in Vegas for what I can rent a studio for in San Francisco. I couldn't even bring my car and I'm not a fan of the big city. I'd much rather live in Vegas.

I am also somewhat concerned with difficulty of the 3 year program however I don't think I will struggle any more than your average student.

My goal is to make the best out of my time there and learn the most. I'm pretty driven so I think I'll get great experience everywhere. I am interested in residency such as Ortho or prosthodontics . This is a hard choice. I know UOP has the bigger name but is it right for me?

Members don't see this ad.

UOP is like...what...100-150K more expensive, right? But you get out one year earlier and make up for it in salary. I would go for UOP. In terms of cost, it's virtually the same since you'd be making up for the difference thru one year's salary in the real world. Plus, you're out one year earlier and getting real world experience. That in itself is invaluable. You can't get back time.

UoP forsure.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I'd go for UoP. yes it's more expensive but you get out earlier. Yes the program will be harder but many students did that before and you can do the same.

Obviously UNLV.

Idk why the people above would tell you to take on more debt and live in a ridiculously expensive city you don't enjoy with classmates you won't relate to... just to save a year of schooling? To be able to work an extra year of your life?? It's not like UoP is cheaper, it's more expensive! The extra cost may be mitigated by an extra year of income, but that just means you're trading a year of school for a year of work. Most dentists I've heard from said dental school was way more fun than work...

OP, your post reads that you would prefer UNLV and that it makes more sense in terms of finances and quality of life.

Reactions: 5 users
Want to graduate a year early, less academic stress but more debt?
or
do you want to take your time, and graduate with less debt?

Putting my personal preferences aside, it's pretty obvious you sound like you'd be happier at UNLV lol. Can't go wrong either way though!

UOP is like...what...100-150K more expensive, right? But you get out one year earlier and make up for it in salary. I would go for UOP. In terms of cost, it's virtually the same since you'd be making up for the difference thru one year's salary in the real world. Plus, you're out one year earlier and getting real world experience. That in itself is invaluable. You can't get back time.

Genuine question- how does the math work here? People always say what you did with the one extra year of income (in fact, even UoP says it in their admissions presentation), so don't think I'm attacking you, but I never got it.

On average, coming out of dental school, he can expect to make around 120-140K if he is lucky. Less than that is also possible.

After taxes, make that 90-110K.
His living expenses will drain another 30K so he has 60-80K to service his debt assuming no other spending.

150K more expensive for UoP, and he only has 80K to throw at it his first year. That means it will take him two years to pay off the year that he saved at UoP. This 150K btw is before interest.

Based on that math, he is financially better off going to UNLV and spending an extra year in dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had no doubt you'd get in to UOP. Congratulations! Choose UOP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Genuine question- how does the math work here? People always say what you did with the one extra year of income (in fact, even UoP says it in their admissions presentation), so don't think I'm attacking you, but I never got it.

On average, coming out of dental school, he can expect to make around 120-140K if he is lucky. Less than that is also possible.

After taxes, make that 90-110K.
His living expenses will drain another 30K so he has 60-80K to service his debt assuming no other spending.

150K more expensive for UoP, and he only has 80K to throw at it his first year. That means it will take him two years to pay off the year that he saved at UoP. This 150K btw is before interest.

Based on that math, he is financially better off going to UNLV and spending an extra year in dental school.

You have to think of it as one year of the average income for all your years of work up until retirement, not just the year immediately following graduation.

You have to think of it as one year of the average income for all your years of work up until retirement, not just the year immediately following graduation.

ok, let's do that.

150K debt + 30K living expenses = 180K after taxes. So 220K before taxes.

Do you think a general dentist graduating today, from UoP with 450K debt, can average 220K/yr before taxes over their career? According to the 2010 Survey of Dental Practice, the mean income for a general dentist is 207K. You still fall 13K short with UoP.

Source: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/10_sdpi.ashx

P.S.- This assumes that OP would have same level of success as existing dentists...who entered the field with much lower student debt and thereby could take a risk and build highly profitable practices.

P.P.S- This also assumes that OP would practice in a similar model as existing dentists, which we all know is not certain- FFS is on its way out, PPO reimbursements are declining, corp is coming in, and saturation is increasing.

Bottom line: UoP is not financially better than UNLV. In fact, it is likely a financially worse decision to attend UoP.

Last edited: