UNLV Summer Simulation Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cruising along
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would spread the love and post details about this course.

I was sent the following in an email;
Hello!

Many of you have already taken this course in the past, but we have found that emailing you is the best way to get the word out to other interested pre-dental students. No one knows better than you if this course was a worthy experience. Please pass this information on to anyone you know who may be interested in taking the course. If you are so sick of receiving this email - please let us know to take you off our list. We really appreciate your help!

2011 Simulation Course Dates
May 27-28
June 10-11

This year we are doing registration online at our website: www.unlvadea.org
Registration will open Monday, March 28th at 9am for Nevada Residents
Registration for all others will open on April 8th at 9am.

The website should have answers to the majority of your questions. Any other questions may be sent to this email address.

Thanks again for your past interest and participation!

-Simulation Course Staff

The UNLV Dental Simulation Course is a two day experience, giving participating pre-dental students insight into both dental school and the dental profession. During the course, participants work in UNLV SDM’s advanced pre-clinical laboratory and will gain valuable hands on experience. The course will help to confirm your interest in dentistry and make you a stronger applicant!

During the course participants will be able to do the following:
Identify normal dentition
Model a central incisor in wax
Make typodont impressions and pour them in stone
Use a high speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
Prepare cavity restorations
Fill cavity preparations using both amalgam and composite
Earn a certificate of course completion

Each course is limited to 80 students. The cost of the course is $200 which includes continental breakfast and catered lunch both days.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks sooo much for this update. I had no idea.. Just registered & I'm sure it'll be a fun experience.

I also registered for the sim course.
Can anyone who has already done the workshop give us more of an idea of what goes down while were there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also registered for the sim course.
Can anyone who has already done the workshop give us more of an idea of what goes down while were there?

I took the Sim course last year and I loved it. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about dentistry at all.

It was a two day student run course with academic lectures, lectures about the school and the application process, and hands on dentistry. For me it was really refreshing to do the hands on work because at the time I felt very focused on the application process that I almost felt like I lost sight of what would happen after that.

Many schools only allow those invited to interview to view the campus so if you are applying this is good opportunity to see a school, meet current dental students, and introduce yourself to faculty (when I went there was an optional short meeting/interview with an admission committee member for those applying in that cycle). Take advantage!

I loved it and highly recommend it!

Thought I would spread the love and post details about this course.

I was sent the following in an email;
Hello!

Many of you have already taken this course in the past, but we have found that emailing you is the best way to get the word out to other interested pre-dental students. No one knows better than you if this course was a worthy experience. Please pass this information on to anyone you know who may be interested in taking the course. If you are so sick of receiving this email - please let us know to take you off our list. We really appreciate your help!

2011 Simulation Course Dates
May 27-28
June 10-11

This year we are doing registration online at our website: www.unlvadea.org
Registration will open Monday, March 28th at 9am for Nevada Residents
Registration for all others will open on April 8th at 9am.

The website should have answers to the majority of your questions. Any other questions may be sent to this email address.

Thanks again for your past interest and participation!

-Simulation Course Staff

The UNLV Dental Simulation Course is a two day experience, giving participating pre-dental students insight into both dental school and the dental profession. During the course, participants work in UNLV SDM’s advanced pre-clinical laboratory and will gain valuable hands on experience. The course will help to confirm your interest in dentistry and make you a stronger applicant!

During the course participants will be able to do the following:
Identify normal dentition
Model a central incisor in wax
Make typodont impressions and pour them in stone
Use a high speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
Prepare cavity restorations
Fill cavity preparations using both amalgam and composite
Earn a certificate of course completion

Each course is limited to 80 students. The cost of the course is $200 which includes continental breakfast and catered lunch both days.

:thumbup: Thanks for sharing! I interviewed at UNLV and I was impressed.

Hey thanks CESDental

If you dont mind me asking did you get accepted to UNLV and if so do you think the program helped?

Also, for the ten minute interview should I bring a resume or anything else?

Definately go if unlv is one of your top choices. if you have good stats and do this work shop you are almost guaranteed an interview. i did it and got accepted.

Definately go if unlv is one of your top choices. if you have good stats and do this work shop you are almost guaranteed an interview. i did it and got accepted.

What would you consider good stats?
do you mind sharing what you had.

Also, for the short interview do I need to bring a resume? Do you remember if they will be sent you an informational packet with everything you need to know before going?

Any other advice/comments i should know before attending?

I signed up for the May 27-28th course!

What would you consider good stats?
do you mind sharing what you had.

Also, for the short interview do I need to bring a resume? Do you remember if they will be sent you an informational packet with everything you need to know before going?

Any other advice/comments i should know before attending?

I had an 21 AA 22 TS 22PAT and 3.5 gpa. but several kids from my school over the past 2 years that have gone to this sim course have recieved interviews with less then a 20 and less then a 3.5 gpa. i believe the only reason this is so is due to their attendence of the sim course. a lot of them eventually got accepted.

i never brought a resume, but they will ask you questions. its basically a pre interview. i dont see how a resume will help seeing that they will eventually get you application and secondary. but, if in doubt, bring it.

I have heard that if you go to this workshop it's almost guaranteed that you'll get accepted.has anyone else heard that? Is it just rumors? It kind of sounds too good to be true.

Definately a rumor!

I signed up for the May 27-28th course!

I'll be there as well!! I'm traveling all the way from Florida to be there. I visited the campus last year and fell in love with it; I've been looking forward to this sim. course for about a year now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there as well!! I'm traveling all the way from Florida to be there. I visited the campus last year and fell in love with it; I've been looking forward to this sim. course for about a year now. :)
sweeeeet! :thumbup:

Definately a rumor!

Agreed! Definitely a rumor. The course won't hurt your chances but no guarantees of anything. I do remember Ancajas saying that she keeps a record of who attended but I don't know if/how she uses that list.

Agreed! Definitely a rumor. The course won't hurt your chances but no guarantees of anything. I do remember Ancajas saying that she keeps a record of who attended but I don't know if/how she uses that list.
It's definitely a plus that you get to sit down and have a conversation with her through the sim course though. That way when your application comes through you won't be a regular "John Doe."

No guarantees for an acceptance folks..... The sim course was cool. I liked actually using the high speed hand piece and doing wax ups.

The one bit of advice I will give to all of the people coming from out of town is get there EARLY (did I say EEEAAARRRRLLLLLYYYYYY) so that you can sign up for a mini interview with some of the faculty there. I got there 30 minutes early. Every single interview slot was already taken, and half of them were taken by Nevada residents. All of the information that I received about the course said that the mini interviews were for people who didn't live there and had traveled quite a ways to be there. I drove from Boise, ID and the mini interview was honestly one of the reasons I did the course. I spoke to about 10 different students who actually had mini interviews that were from Vegas. Very frustrating.

I think Midwestern AZ has a similar thing for $100. Not positive about that or the dates though. Good luck whatever you do.

Ancajas said to make sure and put it on your application that you attended. She said it is like a "gold star".

Hey thanks for the heads up
How early do you think? like an hour?
and on which day, the first or the second?

Thanks

No guarantees for an acceptance folks..... The sim course was cool. I liked actually using the high speed hand piece and doing wax ups.

The one bit of advice I will give to all of the people coming from out of town is get there EARLY (did I say EEEAAARRRRLLLLLYYYYYY) so that you can sign up for a mini interview with some of the faculty there. I got there 30 minutes early. Every single interview slot was already taken, and half of them were taken by Nevada residents. All of the information that I received about the course said that the mini interviews were for people who didn't live there and had traveled quite a ways to be there. I drove from Boise, ID and the mini interview was honestly one of the reasons I did the course. I spoke to about 10 different students who actually had mini interviews that were from Vegas. Very frustrating.

I think Midwestern AZ has a similar thing for $100. Not positive about that or the dates though. Good luck whatever you do.

~

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the heads up
How early do you think? like an hour?
and on which day, the first or the second?

Thanks

How early is up to you. I think they only do the interviews on the first day, but I am not positive. IMO, if you arrive too early and get an interview, it is better than getting there 30 min. early and not getting an interview. I suppose it depends what your time is worth to you.

I just want to reiterate that attending this course will by NO MEANS give you a DEFINITE leg up on other applicants. Don't go in with the assumption that doing the course will offset a slightly lower gpa/DAT/etc.

I even turned in the UNLV supplementary app directly to Dr. Ancajas during my "interview" so I would be a super early applicant! Ultimately, I never got an interview; I was rejected in early August. I was disappointed because I thought I would at least get an interview!!

Anyway, I would still highly recommend this event. The day opens with brunch (muffins, fruits, bagels, etc) and Dr. Ancajas and some other faculty talk about UNLV (admission stats, curriculum, mission). Then you get mini lectures (radiography, dental anatomy, etc) by current students (who did an awesome job).

But the BEST part was day 2: getting into lab where we did wax ups on #8 and used handpieces to do some preps (ClassII and ClassIV)on the typodonts. D1/2s and circulate around lab to help you out, so I would suggest that during lab time, talk to as many dental students as you can to ask about their experience at UNLV. They were very open and friendly. I got some great info (pros and cons) about UNLV. You also get a pretty thorough tour of the school. UNLV definitely made a great impression on me...until I got that rejection letter lol! jk.

And also, I wouldn't stress much about the "interview". It actually wasn't even really an interview. Dr. A just asked if there was anything I wanted to tell her that I wanted her to pay attention to. That was pretty much it.

I got to campus 30 minutes before and just talked to other predents. They didnt do sign ups until at least half the people were there. It was fun times!

Last edited:
I just want to reiterate that attending this course will by NO MEANS give you a DEFINITE leg up on other applicants. Don't go in with the assumption that doing the course will offset a slightly lower gpa/DAT/etc.

I even turned in the UNLV supplementary app directly to Dr. Ancajas during my "interview" so I would be a super early applicant! Ultimately, I never got an interview; I was rejected in early August. I was disappointed because I thought I would at least get an interview!!

Anyway, I would still highly recommend this event. The day opens with brunch (muffins, fruits, bagels, etc) and Dr. Ancajas and some other faculty talk about UNLV (admission stats, curriculum, mission). Then you get mini lectures (radiography, dental anatomy, etc) by current students (who did an awesome job).

But the BEST part was day 2: getting into lab where we did wax ups on #8 and used handpieces to do some preps (ClassII and ClassIV)on the typodonts. D1/2s and circulate around lab to help you out, so I would suggest that during lab time, talk to as many dental students as you can to ask about their experience at UNLV. They were very open and friendly. I got some great info (pros and cons) about UNLV. You also get a pretty thorough tour of the school. UNLV definitely made a great impression on me...until I got that rejection letter lol! jk.

And also, I wouldn't stress much about the "interview". It actually wasn't even really an interview. Dr. A just asked if there was anything I wanted to tell her that I wanted her to pay attention to. That was pretty much it.

I got to campus 30 minutes before and just talked to other predents. They didnt do sign ups until at least half the people were there. It was fun times!
Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how the mini-interview would go; if they would ask us questions or vice versa.

For anyone else planning on getting there early I will probably be there a hour before it starts to make sure I get to sign up for an interview. I know that's probably a bit much, but it might be hard for me to make it back out there if I were to get an interview down the road. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up in case they wanted to get there early and hang out with me!

thanks everyone for you input, Much appreciated :thumbup:I just recently recieved a comfirmation email for the course and it stated that there are still spots availible for May and June. So there is still time to sign up

Hey thanks CESDental

If you dont mind me asking did you get accepted to UNLV and if so do you think the program helped?

Also, for the ten minute interview should I bring a resume or anything else?

I did get accepted to UNLV this year. I think that going to the Sim Course was valuable in that it was filled with great things to learn, but also was a two day opportunity to really show who I was to the faculty and students.

I can't remember if I brought a resume or not, I don't think it is necessary. I met with Dr. Brownstein and it was more of a meet and greet, but I think it helped because he requested to see me again during my interview.

I guess if you have anything that can demonstrate your manual dexterity that would be good to bring along, i.e. drawnings, sculptors, deck of cards, etc.

Good Luck everyone and have fun at the Sim Course!

Hey Everyone!

I created a "UNLV Dental Simulation Course 2011" group on Facebook. If you are attending the course and have a Facebook, please add it. I created a similar group when I went to the UoP Sim Course last year and it has enabled me to stay in touch with the PreDents I met there. They have given me very useful advise for applications and I have been put in contact with students from various schools. After the course I was also able to post photos and share them with the group.

-CRM

Is anyone signed up for the June 10-11 session? I just registered and will be sending my check to the school.

Hey anyone on here that attended the sim course today!? I thought it is was suuuuper informative. My name is Franco I might have met you today.

Hey anyone on here that attended the sim course today!? I thought it is was suuuuper informative. My name is Franco I might have met you today.

I was there today. It was very informative! My mini-interview went like 25 minutes long too! Super awesome. We'll see how tmrw goes!

I was there today. It was very informative! My mini-interview went like 25 minutes long too! Super awesome. We'll see how tmrw goes!

Oh yeah? mine went well to Dr. Kingsley is super nice, he gave great advice. Im excited for the lab work tomorrow.

What did you eat? Fajitas?

Haha, close. It was Mexican food buffet style, where we got to make our own tacos/burritos. There was also the option to make a salad. How did you guess?

If you dont mind, what did you guys wear on the first day?

If you dont mind, what did you guys wear on the first day?

Some peeps wore dress shirt, tie, dress pants. Some people wore scrubs the first day (not needed). Some people just wore jeans and a t-shirt. I just wore dress shirt, jeans, and some dress shoes. The course was nothing too fancy as far as dress code.

Oh thanks! any recommendations for a hotel to stay close by?

Oh thanks! any recommendations for a hotel to stay close by?

Took a look at the hotels on the strip. I don't know about you, but staying in those little motels off the strip worries me. The hotel rates aren't terribly bad. Thursday night stay is pretty cheap, but Friday night is where they getcha.

I went onto google and typed in "las vegas deals". Other travel websites like expedia, kayak, etc. could have some decent deals, too.

Where in vegas do you like to stay?

Where on aadsas would we list if we have taken this course? I was thinking Dentistry/Shadowing Experience but didn't know who I would put as the Name of Supervisor.

Where on aadsas would we list if we have taken this course? I was thinking Dentistry/Shadowing Experience but didn't know who I would put as the Name of Supervisor.

Randy822 made a thread about pre-dental courses with your same question.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=826465

In short, I believe to use a professor the person who coordinated it. Also, someone chimed in and said that these sort of classes go under a academic enrichment program and not under Dental/Shadow Experience. Sorry can't be much of help - I haven't applied, but just reading other threads.

Perhaps, someone else could chime in here or just follow the other threads. Good luck!

My final opinion on where to put sim courses is this:

Whether you decide to put it under an Enrichment Program or Dental Experience, I don't think a school is going to call you a fool and toss out your application. There are valid arguments for both sides. So it really doesn't matter. It's not outrageous to call these Enrichment. I've even heard of people putting CPR and OSHA/HIPAA training under Enrichment. Just do what you want and submit.

I have been to several of these sim courses. They were all put on by an ADEA or ASDA student committee on campus. Last year UNLV was put on by the UNLV ADEA. I have the Chapter President's name from last year. Had I chosen to put this under Dental Experience, I would have used that for supervisor and title. That was the person actually ring-leading the whole thing and kept things rolling. There really wasn't any faculty running the show.

I ultimately chose to place my courses under Enrichment. The whole supervisor thing was weird and Enrichment made it easier to focus on the actual activity and what I did rather than where it was and who was in charge. I chose to leave the specific names of the schools out of the names of the clinics. It's not necessary, but just what I did.

Last edited:
My final opinion on where to put sim courses is this:

Whether you decide to put it under an Enrichment Program or Dental Experience, I don't think a school is going to call you a fool and toss out your application. There are valid arguments for both sides. So it really doesn't matter. It's not outrageous to call these Enrichment. I've even heard of people putting CPR and OSHA/HIPAA training under Enrichment. Just do what you want and submit.

I have been to several of these sim courses. They were all put on by an ADEA or ASDA student committee on campus. Last year UNLV was put on by the UNLV ADEA. I have the Chapter President's name from last year. Had I chosen to put this under Dental Experience, I would have used that for supervisor and title. That was the person actually ring-leading the whole thing and kept things rolling. There really wasn't any faculty running the show.

I ultimately chose to place my courses under Enrichment. The whole supervisor thing was weird and Enrichment made it easier to focus on the actual activity and what I did rather than where it was and who was in charge. I chose to leave the specific names of the schools out of the names of the clinics. It's not necessary, but just what I did.

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }@font-face { font-family: "Arial"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

I second this!