About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UNLV Surgery

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by steven1174, Mar 31, 2006.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. steven1174

steven1174 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey folks...just looking into surgery residencies...anyone know much about UNLV's program? I hear its small and trauma heavy....anyone know about the environment there? residents happy?
  2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Funny that this post is up today. I was just getting ready to ask a question regarding this program. I am here at Univ of Nevada-LV on Trauma Surgery on a fourth year visiting elective--my medical school is not Univ of Nevada. Why, you might ask, am I doing a Trauma Surgery elective on my last month of medical school? Short answer is because apparently I am a moron. In truth it is because I matched at a General Surgery program that is a level one trauma center and was concerned because I had no exposure to trauma in my third or fourth year of medical school. Before I got here they told me I would have "some trauma call as a fourth year" and have to attend daily SICU rounds. When I got here they put me on 30 hour overnight call (6AM to Noon the following day) every third day and a daily schedule of 6AM to 6PM with one day off a week. Apparently, this is the same schedule all the third years are on who are doing their core rotations. Essentially, I am scheduled to work over 100 hours a week. It is a 600 bed hospital with only 15 surgical residents (they take 3 categoricals per year and seemingly a lot prelims that apparently all come from the carribean medical schools) to handle the surgical load of the entire hospital. My question is: does this schedule seem excessive for a fourth year doing his/her final rotation in medical school? I do like Trauma and the people here are nice so I'm probably making it out to be worse than it is. But I've never heard of a fourth year who is not doing a sub I and who is on a his/her elective month doing this kind of thing so late in medical school. Does anyone other than myself find this a bit odd. Apparently no one here does.
  3. Celiac Plexus

Celiac Plexus Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member

This is the difference between the "pre-80 hour" types, and the "post-80 hour" types. There was no 80 hour post-call world when a lot of here were in medical school. So working 100-120 hour weeks as a medical student probably doesn;t seem odd to a lot of folks. Nowadays, it does seem odd since the residents themselves are only supposed to work 80 hours per week.

So to answer your question: no it does not seem odd to me. But if I were a medical student today, I would probably think it was odd.

Best of luck in your training.