Unmatched non-trad derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedico

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please advise. Did not match into derm couple years ago, did not reapply, currently continuing a different residency and want to reapply to derm. What should I do about LORs? I don't have any recent derm experience and will be able to get only one new derm letter from a program I did an away at after not matching couple years ago. That makes one letter but I will need more. Can I use my old derm letter from my SOM derm chair? OR should the rest of my letters from my non-derm residency program suffice? Also, what letters will I need from my current non-derm program? PD letter?

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what in your application likely led to your not matching into Derm as a med student? Most likely unless you've been able to do derm research or rotate in derm in you categorical residency, you likely will not be able to make it in without doing a research fellowship after you complete your residency and then apply to Derm.

Keep in mind that some programs will not look at your application due to Medicare restrictions on funding for multiple residencies, although there will be some programs that like taking on applicants who have completed an IM or Peds residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't hurt to start networking your butt off as well.
Except I don't see how he can effectively network now, being so far away from medical school, unless he has a derm program at the institution of his residency in which he has been keeping contact. His home derm program has likely forgot about him, so their letter won't really be that great anyways, esp. not in quality to MS-4s, currently applying. Same for his derm away rotation he did as an MS-4. And he's not done a lot of Derm research or new Derm electives in his IM or Peds residency.

The only way he'll be able to realistically network is by doing a clinical research fellowship.

Hi all,

Please advise. Did not match into derm couple years ago, did not reapply, currently continuing a different residency and want to reapply to derm. What should I do about LORs? I don't have any recent derm experience and will be able to get only one new derm letter from a program I did an away at after not matching couple years ago. That makes one letter but I will need more. Can I use my old derm letter from my SOM derm chair? OR should the rest of my letters from my non-derm residency program suffice? Also, what letters will I need from my current non-derm program? PD letter?

Thanks much!

As others have mentioned, I would get fresh LORs. Whether that means doing rotations again or even a research fellowship, you want up to date letters to maximize your chances of matching. Letters from a non-derm writer carry little weight

Reactions: 1 user